Page 3 of 8 First First 1234567 ... Last

Thread: FFVII for PC Patches and Mods

FFVII for PC Patches and Mods

Originally Posted by imported_Charles

Originally Posted by lyk13

Not comfortable downloading an executable....

At the moment it has 32 seeds, which is impressive for such an old file. This means a number of people have tested it, and deemed it worhty to continue to upload. Also multiple users on this forum, including myself, have tried it and it's fine. I understand the reluctance to dl .exe's, but without that there would be almost no modding community, which is a thriving community of millions of users.

You could always try opening it in a sandbox-mode, or dl it and scan it before you open it.

Indeed. If you don't feel like running the EXE, you can always just download the music zip and run with it.

Originally Posted by MoonUnit

Originally Posted by imported_Charles

Not comfortable downloading an executable....

At the moment it has 32 seeds, which is impressive for such an old file. This means a number of people have tested it, and deemed it worhty to continue to upload. Also multiple users on this forum, including myself, have tried it and it's fine. I understand the reluctance to dl .exe's, but without that there would be almost no modding community, which is a thriving community of millions of users.

You could always try opening it in a sandbox-mode, or dl it and scan it before you open it.

Indeed. If you don't feel like running the EXE, you can always just download the music zip and run with it.

Yeap yeap, I will go the zip method. It's on the other website is it?

Yeah, same thread, actually.

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.m...

Keep up the work pal.

Got it. Got the rar. BTW, why is that project name called Anxious Heart...?

It is the name of Tifa's Theme, so I guess it makes sense. Modder's choice.

Originally Posted by MoonUnit

It is the name of Tifa's Theme, so I guess it makes sense. Modder's choice.

Haha thanks a bunch man.

Keep up the work pal.

Thanks, I hope to have at least 20+ tracks converted by tonight.

9. Yeah it's a very good post! But it is only about the soundtrack! Here I want to see all the mods that I can get!

Originally Posted by Dany

Yeah it's a very good post! But it is only about the soundtrack! Here I want to see all the mods that I can get!

There is the model replacement mod listed. You can find it by searching.

Originally Posted by Dany
    Hi, I was wondering if there is a site that list the mods that work with the new PC release!
    So far the only mod that I have found is :

Originally Posted by Dustin

A poster named DLPB on the Qhimm.com Forums has put together a wonderful installer program to restore the original high quality soundtrack to the pc version of FFVII. It also includes an option to install a full orchestral soundtrack!

Here's a link to the torrent of the installer:

dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/AH.exe.torrent

Make sure to read the Readme in the installer to install properly!

It works really well and my game experience is now awesome with the real playstation FF7 music!
    I have found this awesome update for the old PC version : www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feat...
    I am now wondering if I can put something like this with this brand new release!!!

Thanks a lot for the answers and I hope you are enjoying this game as much as I do.

thank you, original music ftw, now if only square would post the mods on launch application

I will most likely have this done by Saturday or Sunday.

Rock on~

Progress Update:

All 98 tracks are sampled and trimmed. All that is left to do is add the loop points. Most loop points work perfectly using the information contained in the MIDI files. Some need to be adjusted because of popping that sometimes occurs at the loop point with some tracks. Audacity is adequate for the job, but I wish I had something more efficient for adding and testing loop points. Any suggestions?

For looping, as a previous user suggested, you just need to convert the loop start and end points into samples. If you know the right times, in seconds, then just multiply them by the sample rate (likely 44100 Hz, but it depends on what you encoded them in). Shouldn't really need testing if you have the right times, which I'd recommend going out to the 100ths of a second so it's seamless. You could use WinVorbis to add the appropriate metadata tags for looping. I screenshotted how the battle theme's metadata tags look in WinVorbis: i.imgur.com/yGRnm.png

Originally Posted by imported_Travis
    For looping, as a previous user suggested, you just need to convert the loop start and end points into samples. If you know the right times, in seconds, then just multiply them by the sample rate (likely 44100 Hz, but it depends on what you encoded them in). Shouldn't really need testing if you have the right times, which I'd recommend going out to the 100ths of a second so it's seamless. You could use WinVorbis to add the appropriate metadata tags for looping. I screenshotted how the battle theme's metadata tags look in WinVorbis: i.imgur.com/yGRnm.png
    Its not that simple. For most of the music, the loop positions from the MIDI files work fine. For others, there is a noticable pop during the loop and I need to shift the loop slightly to fix it. I used Audacity for all my work and found a quick way to do the loops. As for the music, I'm done!!!!! Now I have to figure out how to distribute the .oggs.

I'm done!!!! Just need to convert my .flacs into .oggs do a quick test in the game and then package them up and figure out the best way to distribute them.

For those that didn't read the other thread, I have personally sampled all of the Yamaha-XG MIDI files from Final Fantasy VII using my Yamaha MU-80. All files have been converted to .ogg with proper looping. Just backup and then replace all of the .ogg files in the data\music-ogg folder in the Final Fantasy VII install folder.

I also created a special version of lb2.ogg (One-Winged Angel) with vocals mixed in from the Soundblaster AWE version of the MIDI using the AWE soundfont. All files are linked below. If someone else could mirror these, it would be appreciated.

The version of lb2.ogg in the archive is the one with vocals since this is preferred. I have also included the original without vocals. The links are below.

MediaFire has pulled down the files for a terms of service violation. Either an automated system flagged them or someone reported a copyright violation. Either way, the files are unavailable until I can find alternative hosting. Sorry

Update: You need all 3 files, this is a split .RAR pack.

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part1.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/eyxmtgopswta5og/F...

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part2.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/akkdlfn74cmf8yn/F...

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part3.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/zyc5vjmo750eoya/F...

Update: Someone asked for them, so here is a split .RAR pack encoded as 500kbps.

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part1.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/as8nn26t0rr9fs1/F...

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/92e43xlzn391ajc/F...

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/vkfnxxbdbmcoyt5/F...

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part4.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/3bz84erzr9waccp/F...

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part5.rar
    www.mediafire.com/file/1mfvtg2nd5sc6iz/F...

Awesome! I wish my game would activate so I could try it out. Nevertheless, great job. Thank you!

Sweet! Thanks for making this. Really, this is not only an augmentation but most likely a straight upgrade from the glory that was the original's XG soundtrack.

I updated the link on the thread I made to point this pack of music out to people as the one I am working on is more suited to those who want to hear what the game sounded like back when it was released in 1998.

Hoooo dang, I just listened to that seperate one, whoa. I can hear the hardware quality, the intrument set seems similar to the S-YXG50 too. This is amazing. I suppose there is no need for the S-YXG50 conversion with this around as it pretty much the same but BETTER!

This is quite awkward, I mean, the music pack I was working on is pretty much redundant now, so I am afraid to release it upon the internet as I wouldn't want it confused with this one. This one you created is the best possible XG conversion that could be done.

Actually after listening to it for a bit, I realize that the S-YXG50 version still sounds unique in comparison. I will continue working on it.

Thank you SO much for this. I downloaded the game and refused to play it until someone got the sound situation figured out and uploaded it in a way that was easy for the non-technical to digest. And thanks again for the adjustment to the One Winged Angel track. It sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear it in-game!

Thank you!!!

Thanks alot!

Also, can I be educated on how these different forms of the tracks came about?

First we have the original midi, then there is alsot he PSX versions which afaik is the same as the OST version. And now, there's this Yamaha synthesizer version. I know the last one was from the original FF7 where they included with the installer but as I couldn't remember the quality back then...

So is the Yamaha version supposed to be the same as the PSX version or....?

Sorry about this haha...

Thanks alot!

Also, can I be educated on how these different forms of the tracks came about?

First we have the original midi, then there is alsot he PSX versions which afaik is the same as the OST version. And now, there's this Yamaha synthesizer version. I know the last one was from the original FF7 where they included with the installer but as I couldn't remember the quality back then...

So is the Yamaha version supposed to be the same as the PSX version or....?

Sorry about this haha...

The Original PC version had three different MIDI versions of the same soundtrack. One arranged to the GM standard, one arranged to the XG standard (Technically the best) and one arranged for the soundfont for the AWE Soundblaster cards.

The one arranged to the GM standard sounds best with sound modules that use General MIDI (127 instruments). The XG one was designed for sound modules that supported the XG standard (512 instruments, this includes sound effects like bubbles). Lastly the AWE one is basically arranged the same as the GM version so it could only use a maximum of 127 intstruments.

Another advantage that the XG soundtrack is that back in 1998 it had the highest amount of polyphony (if the S-YXG70 was configured correctly) so it sounded very very smooth and life like.

The PSX soundtrack is basically the Playstation's own 'MIDI' version but played through the Playstations built in sound chip (with custom sound samples of course). You can emulate this part of the PSX and use the sound data in the PSX version of FF7 to get an exact playback of the music, instead of a recording.

Currently all versions of the soundtracks out there are recordings or renderings of the MIDI playback as MIDI itself is not a tangible format so much a set of instructions that tell the sound module when and where to play sounds. MIDI is however tangible in the sense that it measures music in the same fashion as any other sound file.

Basically: The Yamaha XG Version is Unique. The General MIDI Version is Unique. The Soundblaster AWE Version is Unique. The PSX Version is Unique.

This conversion is done using a MU80 which is a hardware sound module that is very similar soundset wise to the S-YXG50 which is a software synth. The conversion done here SHOULD sound better than the one I am working on, but I still notice that the S-YXG50 still sounds a little different so I may end up releasing with the hope I don't confuse people.

One difference I notice between the MU80 and the S-YXG50 is the MU80 is much much cleaner sounding. The S-YXG50 produces a more Fuzzy sound.

Out of ALL the known soundtracks for FF7 I consider the XG version through any compatible sound module to be the best. Though thats just my opinion. It offers a more orchestral feel over the PSX's industrial electronic feel.

It is a little known thing, but the Cinimatics in the PC version for whatever reason use snippets from the PSX soundtrack. The ones that do include the Intro cinematic and the Ending Cinimatic. Everything else uses the in-game sountrack depending on whatever source is used.

Yeah, when I originally bought and played this game back in 1999, I had a DB50-XG which is a daughterboard card that attached to your soundblaster card or compatible. The DB50-XG had the same sample set as the Yamaha MU50. Some of the music definitely sounds different on the MU80. The MU50 and MU80 came with almost the same patch set, but the ROM size in the MU80 was double that in the MU50, so the music should sound more realistic. Also, the MU50 was limited to 32 voice polophony (some complicated instruments used more than 1 voice), while the MU80 can do 64. The MU80 was actually the original Yamaha XG device with the MU50 coming a year later as a scaled down, less expensive version. I have also tried the software synthesizers, but none of them seemed to hold up to my DB50-XG at the time. Unfortunately, not too long after I picked up this MU80, games stopped coming with MIDI soundtracks. It has been sitting in the closet gathering dust until this project came along.

Originally Posted by imported_Raymond

Yeah, when I originally bought and played this game back in 1999, I had a DB50-XG which is a daughterboard card that attached to your soundblaster card or compatible. The DB50-XG had the same sample set as the Yamaha MU50. Some of the music definitely sounds different on the MU80. The MU50 and MU80 came with almost the same patch set, but the ROM size in the MU80 was double that in the MU50, so the music should sound more realistic. Also, the MU50 was limited to 32 voice polophony (some complicated instruments used more than 1 voice), while the MU80 can do 64. The MU80 was actually the original Yamaha XG device with the MU50 coming a year later as a scaled down, less expensive version. I have also tried the software synthesizers, but none of them seemed to hold up to my DB50-XG at the time. Unfortunately, not too long after I picked up this MU80, games stopped coming with MIDI soundtracks. It has been sitting in the closet gathering dust until this project came along.

Hah, dang, I still wish I had one of those things. Just listening to the completed work now... oh god... its so wonderful.

Thank you so much for doing this! This is like the best thing ever!

QUICK EDIT: luckly none of the songs surpass 64 polyphony so none of the sound is lost. Some do actually pass 32 though.

Sweet Jeebus, I just listened to the Highwind theme, easily twice as good as the S-YXG50 version. Whoa.

Page 3 of 8 First First 1234567 ... Last