Page 2 of 8 First First 123456 ... Last

Thread: FFVII for PC Patches and Mods

FFVII for PC Patches and Mods

A poster named DLPB on the Qhimm.com Forums has put together a wonderful installer program to restore the original high quality soundtrack to the pc version of FFVII. It also includes an option to install a full orchestral soundtrack!

Here's a link to the torrent of the installer:

dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/AH.exe.torrent

Make sure to read the Readme in the installer to install properly!

Firstly I would suggest trying this guy's project here: na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235...

It will most likely end up better sounding than this conversion as the MU80 is a really nice piece of hardware that has much higher quality samples than the S-YXG50 could ever produce on its own. Just to confirm, this conversion he has done renders this one redundant as its pretty much the same thing I was trying to accomplish but done MUCH much better than I could have ever hoped to do.

Anyway, the purpose of this conversion is to replicate what people would have heard if they installed the S-YXG70 software synth and used the XG MIDI data in the original release of Final Fantasy 7: Now for the PC!

I intend to make it as high as quality as possible in order to maximize the experience.

While the current re-relase soundtrack is okay, I personally prefer the XG version with the S-YXG samples over it and the original PSX version.

This project may have been done before (I have not checked) but I don't mind as I need experience in audio editing anyway.

The MU80 conversion is pretty much the same thing so I am on the fence about completing this as it would be just too confusing. Plus that conversion he has done is pretty much the best of the best possible XG conversion as it includes all the same instruments as the S-YXG50 but as a hardware synth rather than a software one.

Other Info: The S-YXG50 has the same sound engine and samples as the S-YXG70, its just missing the XGLite feature set (S-YXG20) which doesn't matter as it sounded terrible. Since Square-Enix was kind enough to include the XG MIDI data in the Re-Release I was able to convert them with the proper names quickly. Its still a mystery to me if the S-YXG70 included the 'god choir' samples for the last boss song (lb2). On that note I intend on making some sort of frankenstein version of lb2 to include the 'god choir' samples using some audio manipulation.

Project Progress:

I will be using the S-YXG50, its 4 MB soundbank, and its software to do the conversion to wav. (Done)

Then I will convert the results to the highest quality ogg file. (Done)

Then I shall add the correct loop points in the music (Work in progress, I have no previous experience doing this so it may take awhile)

Then I shall most likely release the project (Obviously after I am finished adding the loop points)

Then I shall attempt at making a sort of custom XG version of the last boss song in order to include the 'god choir' samples to replicate the PSX soundtrack version of the last boss song. (Most likely will release this as an add-on after the full conversion is released)

Project Hurdles:

The Jenova Battle music (chu2) seems a little bleh in the looping department. Rather odd considering every other song has been perfect thus far. It may just have to do with the sheer amount of noise this song contains. (May not be able to perfect this song as my techincal capacity for audio editing is not that high yet. Though the average listener could not tell while in game with all the stuff going on.)

I do not have any understudies in terms of being able to copy loop points, interestingly enough the converted XG version of some of the songs have a longer play time in comparison to the default oggs recorded from the GM soundtrack. (My only other resort would be to use the XG MIDI data as an understudy. Otherwise all the loops I make would have to be custom ones)

Shouldn't be a problem now, given the way I converted it. There is only 1 second of difference between the loop points of the XG MIDI and the converted sound file. Thus, I can replicate the loop points of the MIDI data perfectly.

Given the way I converted the music it adds exactly 1 second before and after the song. Given this I have to find a way to remove that silence at the beginning and ending of the songs without compromising the quality. (Pretty much found a way to deal with it.)

Obviously, just selecting one second of audio and cutting it does the trick.

I have to find a decent way to upload the files as it will take up around 504 MB of data unzipped. Interestingly enough this is around 1/3 the file size of the original wav source being 1.6 GB uncompressed wavs. (Workin' on it, may use dropbox or split the zips into multiple parts to upload.)

TOTAL PROGRESS: 58 out of 94 tracks. The total track amount includes the unused ones minus the sound effects. (CURRENTLY ON HOLD GIVEN THE RELEASE OF THE MU80 CONVERSION.)

In case you haven't heard, the built in charactor booster is terrible. The only thing it does is bost HP/MP/GIL to the maximum amount. You can not choose between the 3, you have to do all of them and it is irreversible. But, there is a program called black chocobo that lets you fully customize your save file. The game saves your file both in a cloud, and locally to your computer.

Here is the link for Black Chocobo:
    forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9625.0

To find the save file, it might be a little bit different depending on what operating system you use, but for windows 7, there is a folder in your documents folder entitled "Square Enix" go into that folder, then into the "Final Fantasy 7" folder. in the Final Fantasy 7 folder, go into the "User_xxxxxx" folder and you will see your save file. Open that up in black chocobo, and you can edit mostly anything in the game.

UPDATE: the cloud save overrides the local save. once i find away around that, i will post another reply or thread

Originally Posted by Dustin
    A poster named DLPB on the Qhimm.com Forums has put together a wonderful installer program to restore the original high quality soundtrack to the pc version of FFVII. It also includes an option to install a full orchestral soundtrack!

Looks like their is more info on Anxious Hearts here:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.m...

More info on mods here too:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0

...and then the cloud save overwrites your altered save file?

i actually have no idea. i've used the program on emulators, but i haven't used it on this yet. i opened up the save with black chocobo, but never saved it. i wil test that right now.

you were right, the cloud save takes priority. i will post in this thread again whenever i find a way to avoid that

I simply cannot wait to hear the final result of this project. I've always wanted an MU80 myself and to hear it play through the FF7 soundtrack would be a simply wonderful experience.

Thanks.

When you speak of Final Fantasy VII PC, do you mean the downloadable version that was just released on the Square store website? Last year I bought a Yamaha MU2000 EX on Ebay from Japan, they go for about 300 to 400 bucks used. I used a 3rd party application to change the MIDI output so it would work with the module. It was awesome!! It sounded like a full orchestra, way better than even the PS1 soundtrack. But now that I'm in the process of moving, my sound module is away in storage for now I'm not really sure about how to convert music files. When you get those file conversions done, is there a folder where you just replace the music files with yours?

Oh nevermind, I see the music folders now. I just never looked into that before.

Originally Posted by Crono1973

Thanks.

Here is the way to avoid it:

1) Open up save in Black Chocobo

2) Start FF7 and get to the screen that shows the save slots (the screen right before the save selection)

3) Save your game in Black Chocobo

4) Load altered save in FF7

5) ????

6) Profit

The reasons why this works should be obvious.

13. Hi, I was wondering if there is a site that list the mods that work with the new PC release!
    So far the only mod that I have found is :

It works really well and my game experience is now awesome with the real playstation FF7 music!
    I have found this awesome update for the old PC version : www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feat...
    I am now wondering if I can put something like this with this brand new release!!!

Thanks a lot for the answers and I hope you are enjoying this game as much as I do.

then you should be able to save the altered save in-game to overwrite the cloud.

and thank you james. i was looking on the square enix website for an option to disable cloud saves

Originally Posted by Sebastian

then you should be able to save the altered save in-game to overwrite the cloud.

Correct. However, I would still copy my saves to a different location as a backup, as you can copy paste them in after the cloud sync and get the same results.

Originally Posted by MoonUnit

Looks like their is more info on Anxious Hearts here:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.m...

More info on mods here too:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0
    Downloaded and tested. Works like a dream.

What version of orchestral FF7 music does this mod use?

So i'm a bit confused. I installed the mod with "original soundtrack," and most of the professional versions that I like. How do I choose which ones will actually play in the game, since some of them will overlap?

There is a music_ogg file. You need to make sure all of the sound files you want are in the music_ogg folder, and put that in the FINAL FANTASY VII/DATA folder, replacing the old one.

Originally Posted by imported_David

There is a music_ogg file. You need to make sure all of the sound files you want are in the music_ogg folder, and put that in the FINAL FANTASY VII/DATA folder, replacing the old one.

Seems to have done the trick. Thank you sir.

However, I'm still not sure wheter the PSX original or professional version of certain songs will play.

Originally Posted by imported_Charles

Originally Posted by imported_David

Seems to have done the trick. Thank you sir.

However, I'm still not sure wheter the PSX original or professional version of certain songs will play.

I can't help with that, I'm afraid. I installed the complete fan-made soundtrack, so I'm not certain how to mix and match.

Not comfortable downloading an executable....

Originally Posted by lyk13

Not comfortable downloading an executable....

At the moment it has 32 seeds, which is impressive for such an old file. This means a number of people have tested it, and deemed it worhty to continue to upload. Also multiple users on this forum, including myself, have tried it and it's fine. I understand the reluctance to dl .exe's, but without that there would be almost no modding community, which is a thriving community of millions of users.

You could always try opening it in a sandbox-mode, or dl it and scan it before you open it.

Page 2 of 8 First First 123456 ... Last