Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Thumbs up EM! What we like about DX:HR

Thumbs up EM! What we like about DX:HR

Thumbs up EM! What we like about DX:HR

The complaints that people have about this game have been well documented and, I believe, thoroughly expressed. We are, however, all still here and I'd like to catalog some of the reasons why that may be. In other words, here is what I have seen that I like. Links with specific times are provided to examples of what am referring to:

1) Not only do the interior environments look dark and dangerous, but the sparks and flames really add something to the feel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABLn...tailpage#t=17s)

2) Both the sound that the rifle makes in the gameplay footage, and the clear recoil you can see makes the weapon feel powerful. This is amplified by the way the enemies absorb the bullets. This has tremendous immersive value in that it makes it a big deal for anyone other than Rambo-style players to actually fire the weapon and kill someone with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABLn...tailpage#t=21s. Compare this to the rather cheap and charitable way in which you're able to discharge fire in games like Crysis or CoD (which have their own merits, I understand). The recoil appears in 3rd person as well, pretty clearly...which is good.

3) Moving from cover to cover looks like it's done well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABLn...tailpage#t=26s. Compare this to the recent Mafia II which was not nearly as fluid with its cover system.

4) Cars blow up when you launch grenades at them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABLn...tailpage#t=39s. This is a worthwhile inclusion for advocates of emergent gameplay situations...it's another variable/tool at your disposal. Plus the explosions look meaty...unlike what felt more like fireworks in Black Ops.

5) The street in the game play footage (and the club) appear to be quite a bit more populated than the original DX. This is, perhaps to be expected since its now 2010, but I think there's evidence to believe that there's been a lot of effort put into making the locals more interactive and interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akXc9...tailpage#t=28s.

6) The animation work for some of the main characters (such as Tong) seems to be brilliantly done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akXc9...tailpage#t=53s. The way he engages with Jensen is actually quite intimidating.

7) On a similar point, in the gameplay footage we saw that was recorded with the sketchy cellphone, you really felt like Jensen was in an argument. This is a testament to the script work. It's not just straight-forward dialog choices that you're choosing...the men (in the case of Tong and Jensen) are actually having a real verbal battle of argumentative ability. I figure that it's probably okay to post this now that we've all seen the edited version of it, if not, I hope the mods can just remove the link without deleting the post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6QpNn2s#t=312s

8) The military bot looks intimidating as hell. I think the first time I encountered one was when I (somehow) got in a shootout with the police near Queen's Tower. I ran around the corner, smack into one of those things thumping towards me. Just before it managed to hose me down I doubled back, with the ground shaking as the bot kept marching forward. I survived by escaping into the tower, but it was definitely a cool experience. Anyway, thumbs up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akXc9...ailpage#t=134s. The destruction of the surroundings looks awesome when the bot falls from the sky too.

9) Two final points relate to the newest gameplay trailer: firstly, some of the artwork is really unique and is the sort of thing that comes to define a section of the game. Props to EM for that.

10) I've heard some great music so far.

I encourage other posters, however cynical they may be about features of the game they do not approve of, to contribute their own ideas to this list. A message to the team itself if I may: do not let the loudest members of the community convince you that there are not many more of us waiting (quietly) in anticipation for this game. And certainly do not let it stop you from pouring lots of love into the final stages of your work. We wish you well.

A message to the other users and the mods as well: the purpose of this thread is to compile a list of things we have seen and like about the game. Anything that does not contribute to that end is not up for discussion in this thread - it is off topic and hope it is treated as such (there are many others places to discuss complaints).

Yep I agree with your post I think the game is shaping up great. It seems to incorporate things from Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, and Mass Effect 2 wether that is a good thing remains to be seen till I get it on my hands.

Overall though I am much more confident in the game than say Dragonage 2 which has like no game play videos out right now that show the true game. (Also the Dragonage 2 is supposedly due out March 8, 2010 but it seems like it's being rushed)

Originally Posted by Unstoppable
    It seems to incorporate things from Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, and Mass Effect 2
    Please don't ruin my day...
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pretentious Old Man.
    Please don't ruin my day...
    The game is going to be more action-oriented. We're going to be shooting people, in third person, behind chest-high cover. I think it's pretty much ineluctable at this point.

There's a noun missing from the end of the thread title.

Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael
    The game is going to be more action-oriented. We're going to be shooting people, in third person, behind chest-high cover. I think it's pretty much ineluctable at this point.
    Yes we're never going to use stealth or social ever

Stealth that will definitely be interesting. Since it's line of sight cover is a big role from what I've seen in wether or not you have been detected. I wonder if we are able to create sound distractions like in Deus Ex 1 in order to move through a guarded area .

As for cloaking I hope that it's limited via resources, hope it's not overpowered.

Stealth that will definitely be interesting. Since it's line of sight cover is a big role from what I've seen in wether or not you have been detected. I wonder if we are able to create sound distractions like in Deus Ex 1 in order to move through a guarded area .

As for cloaking I hope that it's limited via resources, hope it's not overpowered.
    Well in gameplay trailer two you can kinda see him hiding out of sight while the squad is moving up to search. That indicates they don't instantly know where you are if they're alerted.

I liked how cloaking was handled in DX1. Consumable therm-optic camo for tough spots with bots, human enemies, and cameras. Choice of camera-bot invisibility versus npc invisibility. Sounds still plays a factor so you need to crouch near enemies or use run silent.

Camo is energy intensive unless you up-grade it extensively. Things can be picked up from cloak and you can shoot enemies from cloak but no one better be looking when you do and it had better be a silenced weapon or the enemy will search for and probably find you.

Originally Posted by lithos
    There's a noun missing from the end of the thread title.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Something about that lizard eyeballing me really got me laughing, thanks Iguana.
    Oh you like my handwriting? It's augmented.

Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael
    Correction, we have the option of shooting people, possibly in third person, sometimes from behind chest-high cover.

Post something you like about the game.

With all the negativity going around I think this forum needs something positive. Hell the community manager is practically begging for it, besides don't you want to praise some of the fine people at eidos?

I'm really happy with the fact that eidos put an emphasis on dialogue choices in this game. It's something I've always loved about certain rpgs and I think it's great that they kept it from deus ex and even expanded upon it.

I think we have similar threads. Or not?

Well!

Okay, anyway, lets go:

1) Originality. Creative characters, unique styles. All of the Cyber Renaissance theme really stole my heart. JJB, i salute you ; The design is indeed fantastic.

2) Adam's voice. Adam's voice. Adam's voice.

3) The music. Although it differs a lot from the electronic beats DX had, it is still great. I love it!

4) The name "Deus Ex" on it. I loved the first, i loved the second. (Yeah, so what.)

Hardly i wont love this title.

5) The community. I dont know if IW had this same community thing, but at least it feels new to me. The official forums, the contact with Eidos employees (Specially our great friend Kyle).

6) The four pillars of gameplay. If its true that i can finish the game only by being "silver tongued", i think the replay value is increased notorously.

7) Adam's voice. Adam's voice
    Visits the forum once every six months.

Awesome thread!!!

I've never played the game, this is going to be tricky.
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Originally Posted by Sotsiak
    Awesome thread!!!
    you doing it wrong !

signature image

Not much.

Yeah...
    "The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."

20-30 hour single player in an fps with several ways to play it. That's justs unheard of these days, and it almost sounds impossible. Can't wait!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by VectorM

Oh, and I like most of the art and designs, and the music of course. Generally, the artistic side of the game (minus the monochromatic filter).

Jesus Christ! That picture freaked the hell out of me!

Damn, that was creepy.
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Pessimistic people, creepy images and people offending each other's mothers already ruined the thread.

Congratulations guys.
    Visits the forum once every six months.

Originally Posted by AlexOfSpades
    Pessimistic people, creepy images and people offending each other's mothers already ruined the thread.

Congratulations guys.
    Ignore vectorM, is troll.

This is going to be hard. There is so much right about the game it's easier to just list what's wrong with it.

In any case:
    1. It's not Invisible War.
    2. Large open levels that encourage exploration.
    3. Beautiful visuals + allusive and stylized art design.
    4. Over 50 unique augs! That's crazy... and awesome.
    5. 20+ hours of play time, with tons of options, is insane (even Deus Ex was only about 20 hours with total exploration), and if it's as good as Deus Ex, epic to a degree not before experienced.
    6. Cyber-punk atmosphere
    7. Stayed true to the heart (if not the design philosophy) of Deus Ex.
    8. Stunning, fitting, and atmospheric music.

Graphics

I like how there are a lot of different types of guns and different ammunition types. (Especially explosive rounds.)

I like that the inventory and augmentation system are now more complex.

I also like how some conversations are 3ed person, but others are first person when you need to read people's motives.

I like that Adam Jensen's character is a lot more developed then Alex Denton.

I like that Adam Jensen wears a trench coat.

I like that the AI is vastly improved over the original.

I like that they actually revived the franchise when I had assumed it was dead and buried.

I like that takedowns do not make Adam invulnerable when activating them. (Although this is more a good thing about a bad thing.)

I like that they have made hacking more complex.

I like that you don't need to log into computers that someone is already logged into.

I like that they added an option to control bots from the security panel, instead of the special options menu.

I like that they seem to be adhering to the "thinking mans game" design principle.

I like that the hardest difficulty is called Deus Ex.

I like that they are actually making the PC version take advantage of hardware tessellation.

I like that you can play the game with 3 monitors.

I like that the AI aims better on the PC version because the player aims better on a PC version.

I like that multitools haven't actually been removed.

I like that some enemy types have augmentations that actually do stuff now. Unlike a certain drug dealer I know.

I like that you can talk to just about anyone.

I like that some conversations can go on for almost an hour. (At lest I think I do)

I like that in DX the art design was Gray and Blue, in Invisible War it was Blue and Neon Blue, and that Human Revaluation complements this with with Gold, Gray and Black. As sort of a way of knowing where it stands in the franchise.

I like the Square trailers.

I like that Joseph Manderley is the chef of police.

I like that more augmentations are passive and reactive, like the strength and possibly the Armor aug.

I like that choosing to augment yourself further has an effect on the plot.

I like that they have environmental hazards.

I like that the plot didn't remove the N.W.O. elements.

I like that the physics engine is vastly improved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last