Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Introducing Dawn Engine, our new generation engine

Introducing Dawn Engine, our new generation engine

Introducing Dawn Engine, our new generation engine

Hi everyone!

We're proud to announce today Dawn Engine, our PC and new-gen consoles engine, which will be used for upcoming projects in the Deus Ex Universe.

Check out all the details and a first screenshot taken in Dawn Engine on our blog: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/dawn-engine

I can't wait to see it in action!

Awesome. That screenshot looks gorgeous.

ALL THE GOOOOOOLLLLLDDDD

You have my attention...
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Finally something. Not happy with the gold overload at all. Together with the artsy fartsy stuff going on it feels even more suffocating then usual. Not much more to be said at this point, I think. No hidden cryptic clues to decipher, it seems.

Speaking of which: any chance of getting that blue color scheme of the blog as a forum theme?
    Last edited by SageSavage; 4th Dec 2014 at 21:33.

This is a very sticky 'n; sweet Deus Xmas treat, thanks Sacha.
    Its looking good and I like the engine name too.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Looking great Sacha, keep up the great work! Can't wait to see some details on DE:U!

Hmm...don't like the gold (again); I'll wait to see it in action, though. I like the engine name!

Hope this "Universe" business isn't an overreach where the core games will somehow be compromised by it. I don't understand why we are going in the direction of mobile games and books that attempt to expand the 'lore' but end up cheapening the franchise name. DX1 was a self-contained lore juggernaut; make another game with the same depth and there wouldn't need to be more media that expands on the story. Better yet, keep the in-game fiction and story in the game... The DX1 in-game literature by Chris Todd was more interesting and fitting for the atmosphere than all of the Icarus Effect.
    Last edited by AdrianShephard; 5th Dec 2014 at 00:41.

I don't like the gold, and on a technical level, I have no idea why they'd go with this over UE4. This is a modified version of the engine that powered Hitman: Absolution, which wasn't exactly a technical standout on any level. Proprietary engine means no modding, and higher potential for optimization issues.

Color me disappointed.

Originally Posted by AdrianShephard
    I don't understand why we are going in the direction of mobile games and books that attempt to expand the 'lore' but end up cheapening the franchise name. DX1 was a self-contained lore juggernaut; make another game with the same depth and there wouldn't need to be more media that expands on the story. Better yet, keep the in-game fiction and story in the game... The DX1 in-game literature by Chris Todd was more interesting and fitting for the atmosphere than all of the Icarus Effect.
    Well, that's easy to answer: mobile games, pysical books etc mean more potential income for EM while ingame books & co mainly mean more work. First and foremost this is a business, so decsions aren't based on what is best for the franchise from a gamers point of view - nor a designers.
    Last edited by SageSavage; 5th Dec 2014 at 06:06.

Originally Posted by SageSavage
    Well, that's easy to answer: mobile games, pysical books etc mean more potential income for EM while ingame books & co mainly mean more work. First and foremost this is a business, so decsions aren't based on what is best for the franchise from a gamers point of view - nor a designers.
    I'm already aware of EM's sellout, it was quite evident with much of HR. A smart business -- one that respects itself, its products, and its audience -- would not continually flood the market with poor and uncreative works that are unrepresentative of a franchise their predecessors worked their off to create. If the main product is good enough, the demand for more will naturally come. Let the hype build on its own, don't artificially create it and risk losing the value of the Deus Ex name. Everyone I know is excited for the next Red Dead Redemption game and it hasn't even been confirmed yet; the hype for GTA 5 can be traced before the game was even acknowledged. Rockstar has mastered the hype train and as a result, they are guaranteed massive sales without having to look desperate.
    Last edited by AdrianShephard; 5th Dec 2014 at 06:37.

At least one of them...

To be fair though, I think beside some "sellout" decisions, HR at least partially had its heart in the right place and TML even more so (apart from being a DLC that should have been part of HR).
    Last edited by SageSavage; 5th Dec 2014 at 06:39.

At least one of them...
    I don't know what you are taking about. It goes DX1 -> HR...

Originally Posted by AdrianShephard
    I don't know what you are taking about. It goes DX1 -> HR...

Yeah, I was just confused because you wrote "predecessors"...

I think Rockstar profits hugely from having a pretty constant group of people at the helm. I think that can lead to much more efficient long term strategies. Like politicians that ignore the more important problems because they can't be solved within their legislative period. Quick successes, quick money is what is expected - can't afford to think about the future now.

Yeah, I was just confused because you wrote "predecessors"...
    Oops, was implying Ion Storm.

...can't afford to think about the future now.
    The Illuminati disagrees with you.

Finally something. Not happy with the gold overload at all. Together with the artsy fartsy stuff going on it feels even more suffocating then usual. Not much more to be said at this point, I think. No hidden cryptic clues to decipher, it seems.

Speaking of which: any chance of getting that blue color scheme of the blog as a forum theme?
    This one was made back then for Eidos-Montréal as a studio (it's kind of out of date now, to be honest).
    If we get a new skin up, it will be in line with our new Deus Ex Universe banner.

Urgh, still black and gold. Other than that...cool?

Hello Sacha!

Any hints or scoops on what it means, gameplay-wise? What kind of limitations was the team trying to overcome with this in-house brew?

I just don't know why they didn't go with UE4, which Square Enix is already licensing for Kingdom Hearts 3. Or really any already established engine. As I said, Hitman Absolution wasn't a technical standout in any way, and was also last-gen tech for consoles. Heavily modifying it is only going to take it so far. Dealing with the limitations of a heavily modified engine is part of what caused Human Revolution to suffer. I really hope it doesn't turn out like that.

Originally Posted by Poticha
    This one was made back then for Eidos-Montréal as a studio (it's kind of out of date now, to be honest).
    If we get a new skin up, it will be in line with our new Deus Ex Universe banner.
    Looks nice, but still (as the others said)...why gold again? It is a symbolic color? I much prefer a combination of black, blue, and white...anything but gold.

I also don't get the triangle styling in the logo...

It's a corporate identity thing - created by JJB for EMs reboot of DX. I'm guessing one consideration for the color choice was the renaissance-theme they came up with for HR. Which would be kind of a stupid choice for a franchise identy because other chapters in the Deus Ex universe were and probably won't be taking place during that very short lived period of time.

I just don't see the need to recognize an entire franchise by the color scheme contained in any given screenshot of the game.

I love the gold.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last