Thread: Square Enix and Eidos

Square Enix and Eidos

Square Enix and Eidos

C´mon guys. Eidos has been doing nothing but screwing SE finances. Game after game are all dissapointing and not SE-like at all. Havent seen the point on that adquisition yet. Square could have done a lot more with THQ than with the guys from Montreal. Just compare: Kingdoms of Amalur+Darksiders vs Hitman+Tomb Raider.

Actually, Eidos is the best thing about SE and the only thing that is keeping them afloat gaming wise. The Tomb Raider reboot was fantastic, only rivaled by Uncharted 2 as one of the best games of the generation and I consider U2 to be one of the best games of all time. So was Deus Ex. The new Thief game is very solid, butI've only played 2 hours so far. Nothing but great efforts from Eidos recently. Their franchises have tons of potential, are also much more popular and have a bigger fanbase than any of the THQ franchises.

Originally Posted by bowteryez
    Actually, Eidos is the best thing about SE and the only thing that is keeping them afloat gaming wise. The Tomb Raider reboot was fantastic, only rivaled by Uncharted 2 as one of the best games of the generation and I consider U2 to be one of the best games of all time. So was Deus Ex. The new Thief game is very solid, butI've only played 2 hours so far. Nothing but great efforts from Eidos recently. Their franchises have tons of potential, are also much more popular and have a bigger fanbase than any of the THQ franchises.
    Im talking about compatibility, If Ubisoft wants Eidos then be my guest. After all they do the same thing. If you say that Eidos is the best thing SE has then it is obvious that you didn´t know SE at all before they took over Eidos. Eidos represents SE failure in making more Western-like games. Something they actually recently acknowledged. I am aware that there are a lot of things SE has to fix in their own games in the future but there are so many western developers doing very well in Action and RPG games and Eidos is not one of them. Their only good game was Tomb Raider and it didn´t achieve the sales level required. I will give you a simple example, I had the oportunity to get a totally FREE copy of Thief and guess what: I didn´t.

If you're hoping for a return to the golden age of JRPG's of the PSX era then you're in for a disappointment. I mean, where have you been these past 10-15 years ? In this last generation you could clearly see the decline of Japanese games, both quality and sales wise. There isn't a market for those games anymore, gaming has gone more mainstream. Japanese games today are considered niche Console gaming is pretty much dead in Japan. Square has been going downhill long before they acqured Eidos.
    And your information regarding the Tomb Raider game is also old and dated. The game has sold more than 6 million copies since the end of March 2014 and has now exceeded profit expectations. It is now the bet selling Tomb Raider game to date, which is a big deal considering it's been almost 18 years since the first one.

There isn't a market for those games anymore
    Except for the market, of course...

Dude I get where you're coming from with the Darksiders reppin'; the game was like all the treasure-delvin spirit of D&D mixed with the interface of WoW lol. That's how it looked/felt to me.

We can get into an 'if SE merged with' 'or got rid of' argument but how about utilizing what they have- I'm surprised that they haven't utilized the Playonline platform almost as a console interface, if anything. It beats Sony online, that's for sure.

They have a really good launching pad here.

If you're hoping for a return to the golden age of JRPG's of the PSX era then you're in for a disappointment. I mean, where have you been these past 10-15 years ? In this last generation you could clearly see the decline of Japanese games, both quality and sales wise. There isn't a market for those games anymore, gaming has gone more mainstream. Japanese games today are considered niche Console gaming is pretty much dead in Japan. Square has been going downhill long before they acqured Eidos.
    And your information regarding the Tomb Raider game is also old and dated. The game has sold more than 6 million copies since the end of March 2014 and has now exceeded profit expectations. It is now the bet selling Tomb Raider game to date, which is a big deal considering it's been almost 18 years since the first one.
    Look man, it is not my intention to question the type of games you like. But your arguments are circular and contrary to everything everybody has come to realize in the last year or so. If SE leaves its idiosyncrasy its gonna die. Simply because there are a lot of people doin better in those areas. Eidos is neither going to keep the alive nor "update" Square Enix. The problem is that Western JRPG players demanded in a time localization for SE games (im still waiting for FF Type-0), but that was it. We still want Japanese games. And if you think console gaming, and particulary SE gaming is dead in Japan then I dont know where are you getting your facts from. I admit once again that SE problems are not exclusive to Eidos, I just think its dead weight.

Up to 80% off in the ‘Eidos Anthology’ Sale
    - Are you wondering what game to purchase next? Well now you can buy 34 + DLC for one fantastic price! Introducing the Eidos Anthology.

We're looking for male and female gamers in Montreal to participate in playtest sessions at our studio.

Bake sale for charity at Eidos Montreal today includes Moogle cupcakes!

Personally I don't like Hitman and Deus Ex games and I'm huge fan of jrpg and fft genres. But it's just my personal preferences, I don't like shooters at all. However, no one can resist the fact that those games, Hitman and Deus Ex are very successful and well awarded! They have own fans and players. In other words, both Eidos and Square Enix have talented teams to create interesting games which make lots of sales. I can not agree Eidos is dead weight, and how can you say that when you do not know details of their working progress together? You are not CEO neither of Square-enix nor of Eidos I guess

Giveaway
    We've hit 5000 followers!
    - Brace yourselves, we'll be tweeting 5 Hitman GO codes (iOS) per hour to celebrate! Available in all territories!