Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... Last

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises News/Info Thread

The Dark Knight Rises News/Info Thread

The Dark Knight Rises News/Info Thread

Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

Prey sounds like a good story to base it off of.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

I'll have to read Prey. Sounds awesome. But how much reliability is in that article?
    I don't think you understand the situation. You're not in a position to negotiate. Let me show you.....

Prey? I hadn't heard that news yet..

Originally Posted by Batman The Trailer Hunter
    Probably for the best.

Hooray!
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    Hooray!
    At least they didnt switch batman each film

Wish I was cool and hated the Nolan/Bale Batman films, but I'm not and I loved them.

It'll be disappointing for me if this is the last time these two guys collaborate on a Batman film together, and if neither Nolan nor Bale are going to do any more Batman films, it really begs the question where Warner Brothers will go with the movie franchise.

Do they try and continue on with a completely new director and new Batman as if nothing has changed (ala Batman Forever)?
    Or do they try and reboot what has turned out to be one of the most successful film franchises, well, ever (ala the new Spider-Man)?

I'm not sure I'm all that excited about either option.

Dude, everything comes to an end. Everything is going to get rebooted whether you like it or not. Warner Bros is not the greatest company at all, they want to reboot Wizard of Oz for god's sakes. If they're willing to reboot to a classic, a movie that old people and children alike consider to be perfect, then of course they're gonna reboot Batman. Batman's been rebooted to death. It's a cycle that will never end.

Originally Posted by DarkVictory
    Wish I was cool and hated the Nolan/Bale Batman films, but I'm not and I loved them.

It'll be disappointing for me if this is the last time these two guys collaborate on a Batman film together, and if neither Nolan nor Bale are going to do any more Batman films, it really begs the question where Warner Brothers will go with the movie franchise.

Do they try and continue on with a completely new director and new Batman as if nothing has changed (ala Batman Forever)?
    Or do they try and reboot what has turned out to be one of the most successful film franchises, well, ever (ala the new Spider-Man)?

Odds are they'll continue in Nolan's work, since Nolan's trilogy right now seems to be one big extended origin story.

Originally Posted by DarkVictory

I won't go on too long about it so as to not get this thread too off-topic, but I have valid reason to believe that the Spider-Man reboot is plenty to be excited for. Not that the Raimi films weren't any good (loved the hell out of the first two, the third was just okay), but as a reader who's been getting heavily versed in Spider-Man I can say their plans as far as changes go are really taking him back to his roots and glossing over the better details that the Raimi films missed (Peter Parker being a superhero while 15 and in high school, the true nature of Gwen Stacy's character).

Back on-topic, I hope that when Warner Bros. does continue Batman inevitably (sadly to say possibly purely because it's an easy cash cow) they don't try to reboot it again. I firmly believe Nolan had done it in a way that can't be replicated with the same effect, so they just shouldn't try that again. I really think new actors and new directors like Batman Forever is what they'll do, but by now WB has learned what happens when they push their directors and ignore the desire of the fans and the source material in favor of the general public's expectations (Batman & Robin) and the reverse effect when they actually know what followers of the comic want and expect and actually take it seriously (The Dark Knight).

It's actually been a little fantasy of mine for a while that Batman would hopefully become what James Bond was in the 20th century; being passed on from actor to actor and director to director to make a long-lasting series. On a literal level this is already real, since Batman has more movies about him or at least featuring him than any other DC comics character ever (and rightfully so IMO), but in terms of live-action theater releases this potential is sorely missed. There are so many directors and actors and creative teams working in film who could make wonderful movies with Batman if they were given the opportunity. Rebooting it again would just be a gigantic waste of time.

I think they should chage the actors and directers and somewhat change the story line and vibe to the movies so it can have some continueity with the Green Lantern and Superman films

Originally Posted by DarkKnightReturns
    I won't go on too long about it so as to not get this thread too off-topic, but I have valid reason to believe that the Spider-Man reboot is plenty to be excited for. Not that the Raimi films weren't any good (loved the hell out of the first two, the third was just okay), but as a reader who's been getting heavily versed in Spider-Man I can say their plans as far as changes go are really taking him back to his roots and glossing over the better details that the Raimi films missed (Peter Parker being a superhero while 15 and in high school, the true nature of Gwen Stacy's character).

Back on-topic, I hope that when Warner Bros. does continue Batman inevitably (sadly to say possibly purely because it's an easy cash cow) they don't try to reboot it again. I firmly believe Nolan had done it in a way that can't be replicated with the same effect, so they just shouldn't try that again. I really think new actors and new directors like Batman Forever is what they'll do, but by now WB has learned what happens when they push their directors and ignore the desire of the fans and the source material in favor of the general public's expectations (Batman & Robin) and the reverse effect when they actually know what followers of the comic want and expect and actually take it seriously (The Dark Knight).

It's actually been a little fantasy of mine for a while that Batman would hopefully become what James Bond was in the 20th century; being passed on from actor to actor and director to director to make a long-lasting series. On a literal level this is already real, since Batman has more movies about him or at least featuring him than any other DC comics character ever (and rightfully so IMO), but in terms of live-action theater releases this potential is sorely missed. There are so many directors and actors and creative teams working in film who could make wonderful movies with Batman if they were given the opportunity. Rebooting it again would just be a gigantic waste of time.
    This. Best case scenario right here.

In the last 20 years we've only seen three director's takes on Batman. The surreal Burton movies, the campy Schumacher movies and the realistic Nolan movies. Three totally different flavours. Now I want to try a different flavour. I'm just hoping that it doesn't take eight years for a Batman movie to be made after The Dark Knight Rises.

WB has learned what happens when they push their directors and ignore the desire of the fans and the source material in favor of the general public's expectations (Batman & Robin) and the reverse effect when they actually know what followers of the comic want and expect and actually take it seriously (The Dark Knight).
    Batman & Robin didn't tank because it was aiming for a comedic approach, it tanked because it was fast produced rushed work from the studio. You can easily make a succesful Batman comedy and turn it into a working business model for the Batman movie franchise.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Batman & Robin didn't tank because it was aiming for a comedic approach, it tanked because it was fast produced rushed work from the studio. You can easily make a succesful Batman comedy and turn it into a working business model for the Batman movie franchise.
    The thematic tone (campy vs dark) isn't Batman & Robin's big problem. It's that in spite of everything, it's almost nothing like Batman at all. Joel Schumacher himself has expressed his interest in directing a faithful adaptation of Batman: Year One, and his plans for the canceled 3rd movie in his run as director was much darker than his first two, but WB ultimately called the shots and forced him to make it the way they wanted it; a similar thing happened with Sam Raimi and Spider-Man 3.

The problem with adapting comic book movies is finding the balance between appeasing longtime fans of the source material and the rest of the general public who practically aren't versed in it at all. Batman's unique versatility in theme and role is what would make his series the perfect choice for a string of films spanning multiple genres; few other characters or series are as flexible. With him alone you can cover comedy, drama, mystery, crime thriller, horror, science fiction, action and/or fantasy depending on how it's used, in stories that would be between PG and R.

This opportunity has been for the most part completely missed, mostly IMO due to the confusion is would create amongst the audience.

This opportunity has been for the most part completely missed, mostly IMO due to the confusion is would create amongst the audience.
    That confusion is part of the reason why the opportunity isn't as large as one might think.

Films are too expensive to do what you can do with comics, which is to say just jump about randomly from genre to genre, style to style, depending on the whims of the writer or publisher. Batman has definitely proven to be a versatile commodity, and the fact that we've got 4 different mainstream adaptations (Adam West, Tim Burton, Joel Schumacher, and Nolan's) that all made decent money proves that.

But there is a reason why there is such a large gap in years between each iteration. Whenever you are risking the type of money that goes into a major production, a studio doesn't want to be competing with another picture of what the character they are trying to portray is supposed to look like. There is just too much money at stake.

I just don't want to see another reboot already after it feels like Batman has just finally gotten a really good 'origin' put up on film. I would be ok if they ended up doing the James Bond thing, with new directors and actors, so long as they tried to keep some of the essentials of the 'Nolanverse'.

Even though James Bond has been in a billion films (not really), whenever they stray too far away from what makes a 'Bond film' a 'Bond film', it stinks. Now, Batman has already been reimagined in more variety than Bond, but I think if they don't lose the basic tentpoles of what's been done in these current Batman films, it'll be fine if one director tries to add a bit more laughs or another tries to mkae it a bit more like a typical action film.

I want Burton to come back and make another...
    How cool would that be? "25 years later, Batman still kicking ass in Gotham"

Originally Posted by JackWinz
    ...No

Originally Posted by A Dark Knight
    ...No
    Yes.

Yes.
    Agreed.

I've actually seen that sign in person, I took a picture of it too.

I've actually seen that sign in person, I took a picture of it too.
    Jack,you lucky bastard.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... Last