View Poll Results: Five hours long , and it's not that a big deal , what do you think ? ...

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you serious ? ...

3 21.43%
  • Agreed , it's better that way ...

3 21.43%
  • No really , old arcade games weren't that long anywya , and yet they were ace ! ...

1 7.14%
  • NO ! NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Don't encourage them !!!! ...

2 14.29%
  • Alright if you put it that way ... but these five hours weren't good enough ! ...

5 35.71%
  • Who said this game was short ? ...

1 7.14%
  • I think it's just a pricing problem , otherwise it's all good ...

3 21.43%
  • The fact that it's five hours long isn't The Issue ...

7 50.00%
  • *looks at topic* This is a new trick , ain't it ? ...

2 14.29%
  • This industry just likes to discriminate Kane & Lynch , nothing we can do ...

3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Know what? it's actually not a bad thing that the campaign is only five hours long...

Know what? it's actually not a bad thing that the campaign is only five hours long...

Thumbs Up Know what? it's actually not a bad thing that the campaign is only five hours long...

Five hour , six hour , eight hour , four hour , two hours long , doesn't matter how long did your experience lasted , it's undeniable that this game was just plain short ...

But so is a huge load of games out there: in the past , present , and probably in the future as well , but the criticism of being a 'short lengthed game' seems to hit the Kane & Lynch franchise alot harder than most if not all major titles out there , for whatever unexplainable reasons ...

Some would say that it is just easy to hate on this franchise , others would blame on the unsatisfaction on their personal gameplay experience ... but what makes the really hits the fan for Dog Days is that it's not 'just' the critics and the majority of gamers out there who critcizes this game for its short length , it's some of the fans themselves who even starts throwing stones ! ...

And really , it's embarassing for this already unpopular franchise when even some of its fans starts to make a riot ...
    Hell , it's even My main critcism for the game ...
    The story and gameplay design are only my secondary criticisms , and they actually resembles more like having different 'visions' with IO than some bashing comments ...

So , the game's length ... what of it ? ...
    It's ... ... well ... not good enough ... as i'm writing this , right now ... i still think it's not good enough ... and comes a bit like a contradiction towards the idea of this topic , since i was suppose to voice out an opinion as to why it isn't such a bad thing that Dog Days is a short game ...

Maybe ... maybe what we should have been looking at is the pleasure we gain from playing this game , rather than the amount of time it took from our lives ... And , maybe ... maybe the reason why we got mad so much is because we wished that the adrenaline would have last longer ...
    In a odd way , the criticism of short length can be enterpreted as a 'compliment' to IO , really ... people want More of it ... that isn't such a bad thing if we look at it this way , right ? ...
    I mean yes , i know , there are people who are quite glad that Dog Days is only five hours long because they find the game unbearable , we're not talking about that , we're talking about the folks who enjoyed playing this game (supposing that their enjoyement 'matters' , or anything , to IO) ...

To some folks , having a short game is a blessing , simply because they don't have time to invest into a thirty hour experience , they only have enough time to play something through the weekend , or just one afternoon , so what better than a explosive five hour rollercoaster ride ? hell , some can even argue that games that last five hours offer the same amount of satisfaction (if not more) than games that last for days and demands a passionate investment in it ... and i believe there may be something to be meditated on this fact ...

Now in the case for Dog Days , people might respond with "well , it's not just that the game is short , it's that it wasn't 'explosive' enough" ...
    For those people , i guess we'll be sorry to say that we just can't satisfy everyone ...
    Because Dog Days still has fans , people that enjoyed it immensily ... so the game works ... only for a small percentage of gamers like the case with Dead Men , sure , but that small percentage matters i guess (at least i hope so) ...

Anywya , i kind of lost track here ...
    *puts the lego rails back in position* ...
    What were we saying ... ah yes ...

When we complain about Dog Days' short length it's because we , deep down , want more of it ...
    Sounds rather obvious doesn't it ? yet i don't think none of us actually realizes what that means ...

And what that means is ... ... well i don't know ... you tell me , why is it actually not a bad thing that the campaign is five hours long ? ...

Oh sure , i forgot there was an argument that says that there is more to life than playing video games ... ... but yeah , who is going to listen to that ? ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

The problem with Dog Days length wasn't it's actual length, it's the variety. In many games that are only 4 or 5 hours long, you often visit many locals and many important scripted sequences happen. In Dog Days, while some very exciting stuff does happen, much of it is in the same kinds of settings with the same kind of "kill all the cops" scenarios. So while it takes the same amount of time as other games, it feels like less happens, and such the game feels even shorter. A game with a similar problem was Mirror's Edge, though I feel that is the worst game in terms of length and content.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Originally Posted by Brackstone17
    The problem with Dog Days length wasn't it's actual length, it's the variety. In many games that are only 4 or 5 hours long, you often visit many locals and many important scripted sequences happen. In Dog Days, while some very exciting stuff does happen, much of it is in the same kinds of settings with the same kind of "kill all the cops" scenarios. So while it takes the same amount of time as other games, it feels like less happens, and such the game feels even shorter. A game with a similar problem was Mirror's Edge, though I feel that is the worst game in terms of length and content.

Actually I think mirrors edge had a pretty good excuse for its length, you were running.. All the time. Unlike kane and lynch you never stayed in one place for too long...

But about k&l2.. well it wasn't just short but it was also not even remotely as good as k&l1 imo, as brackstone mentioned variety was the thing that was missing in k&l2, not just gameplay-wise but there were so many little things that really kept me immersed in k&l1..

Like for example the way the camera zoomed out when you met the driver, the way kane greeted him, it was just great on a whole different level, the dialogue kane and lynch had while shooting out of the van, the way you lost the bag and probably didn't even notice it on your first playthrough until kane said it and then you went and found it again, and on the second playthrough you could just pick it up before kane said anything, how insanely awesomely detailed kane and lynch's character models where on the pc version of the game, I could go on forever..

Overall I gotta say that gamelplay-wise k&l2 feels abit like it was made by some mainstream videogame developer, all those little surprises that were in k&l1 that made it stand out from all the other third person shooters for me were gone..

So with kane and lynch 2 it's not just the length, the whole experience is just much more shallow. I like playing k&l1 until you get to havana alot more than I like playing all of k&l2 (not that I didn't like the havana part, I'm just saying if k&l1 had ended right then and there I'd still think it's a better game than k&l2) Actually I haven't even finished my second playthrough of k&l2 yet... :/

I think it was a price problem, same with modern warfare 2 and mirrors edge and any game that I hear is only 4-5 hours long, I don't play mp very much so to me the campaign is the entire investment. I pay 10$ to see a movie in theatres so I figgure when they drop price to about 20-25$ I think it's fair. I gotta say for mirrors edge and kane and lynch 2 though, those levels were very dense, and packed in their originality, and if I was to look at screenshots of either or hear an excerpt from the soundtrack, I could instantly recognize them, so kudos on that. If a company wants me to spend 60 on a game though, make the campaign longer (Deus ex human revolution 30 hours!!!!!)

Talking about a price problem: Deadly Premonition costs 20€ and took me 29hours the first time through. And, best of all, no bloody DLC. No problem.
    Dog Days was shallow and absolutely not worth the 50€ I paid for it; the DLC and paid on-disc content was just a slap in the face.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    Talking about a price problem: Deadly Premonition costs 20€ and took me 29hours the first time through. And, best of all, no bloody DLC. No problem.
    Dog Days was shallow and absolutely not worth the 50€ I paid for it; the DLC and paid on-disc content was just a slap in the face.
    That was on disc!?!?!?!? ..........I seriously want to punch whoever in the company made that call in the dick. Who does that???? I'm ok when there's dlc developed after the game is done but to be so arrogant to think there is sooooo much content there that you can fragment it and sell it in peices is such a *** move...... If I had known that I wouldnt have bought the game out of principle just like star wars force unleashed 2

Rolleyes

Originally Posted by BigBoss
    That was on disc!?!?!?!? ..........
    We 'assumed' it was , due to the fact that half of the DLCs were released the same time the game was , the other half came out only a two weeks later ...

That and the 'contents' of the DLCs itself ...
    It didn't exactly looked like something that couldn't have been in the disc in the first place ...

Who does that????
    Well just about everybody these days ...

fragment it and sell it in peices is such a *** move......
    Yeah , but problem is that people all end up buying the dlcs , so no wonder they keep on making these cheap map packs and put a huge price tag on it , because people keep buying them ! ...

If I had known that I wouldnt have bought the game out of principle just like star wars force unleashed 2
    Wait what ? ...

Force Unleashed II already has DLCs ? ...

Or are you talking about the pre-order character skins ? ...

Originally Posted by gnrGrievous
    We 'assumed' it was , due to the fact that half of the DLCs were released the same time the game was , the other half came out only a two weeks later ...

That and the 'contents' of the DLCs itself ...
    It didn't exactly looked like something that couldn't have been in the disc in the first place ...
    Assumed?! Nick said very clearly that the weapons and masks were on the disc but that the maps weren't. Don't make dig through this mess to find the actual quote.

Red Face (Embarrassed)

Well alright then , half of the DLCs were already on disc ...

The uninteresting half , that is ...

I think it's a damn shame we couldn't use those weapons in the single player campaign...

I want to find that gorilla that ate the other 8 hours of gameplay.

In regards to the force unleashed 2 thing, Yeah some guy cracked the disc and there's actually a mission or two, new enemy and ally types, skins, challenges and something else I can't remember. Didn't feel like finding it again to post here, but it wasn't hard to find.

Thumbs Up

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    I think it's a damn shame we couldn't use those weapons in the single player campaign...
    I'm pretty sure they were in the campaign ...

Originally Posted by ohitspatty
    I want to find that gorilla that ate the other 8 hours of gameplay.
    EIGHT HOURS ?! i thought it was only six ! ...

This is outrageous ! OUTRAGEOUS !!! ...

In regards to the force unleashed 2 thing, Yeah some guy cracked the disc and there's actually a mission or two, new enemy and ally types, skins, challenges and something else
    ... ... ... oh lord ...

In that case i'll just wait t'ill the game comes out in a 'complete edition' next year instead of even considering to buy it now ...

Thanks for the warning ...

The mask and weapons were the pre order bonus, no wonder they were in the cd in the first place.

As far as the maps goes, just don't buy them, right? I didn't get them, but I'm sure some of you who likes to complain about the dlc did get them after all.

Anyway, the campaing is as long as Deadmen's, it's just feels shorter since the pacing is different. Of course the more the better, let's just say it's good enough they actually make this games. I've said it before, I'll say it again, less multiplayer more story kthnxbye.

In that case i'll just wait t'ill the game comes out in a 'complete edition' next year instead of even considering to buy it now ...

Thanks for the warning ...
    There will be even more hidden dlc in the complete edition.
    Gingers always want to become cops so they can abuse others just like they were abused themselves - Ohitspatty speaking the cold, dark truth.

Red Face (Embarrassed)

Originally Posted by UhUh
    As far as the maps goes, just don't buy them, right? I didn't get them, but I'm sure some of you who likes to complain about the dlc did get them after all.
    AHAHAHHAHAHHAHA ...

Serves them right indeed ...

Originally Posted by UhUh
    Anyway, the campaing is as long as Deadmen's, it's just feels shorter since the pacing is different.
    Actually , no ...

I know i just said in that other thread about how recent and old games all run for the same length and the reason why recent games seemed shorter is due to a simple psychological perception ... Dog Days , however , is really an exception ...

It's just an hour shorter than Dead Men , i didn't made that up ...
    Well ask petersjov , he must have completed his speedrun by now , he'll know ...

Originally Posted by Bevacur
    There will be even more hidden dlc in the complete edition.
    Can't you not be evil for once ? ...

I had the pre-order bonuses and I bought the maps and I'm still enjoying them. Especially Highrise, that map's great. I do have a problem with DLC (in general) and how it was handled with Dog Days but I've got a bigger problem with content being locked away on the disc. Now, UhUh, we've been through this before and we both know each other's opinion on the matter. I'm not going to repeat myself and neither are you. I got my partial refund from $oft and now I'm kind of a happy customer so let's cut the bullshit and leave this ball-bustin' where it belongs; in the trash.

And I fully agree with you on 'less multiplayer more story'.

How about more multiplayer AND more story? Too much to ask for the price of $60, I guess...

I knew that preorder stuff would become dlc at some point. It always does.

Thumbs Up

And i'll add that it's mighty stupid ...

Can't believe IO is doing this ...

Jesus christ don't tell me we'll have to buy DLCs in order to unlock the silverballers for Hitman V ...

You have to pay to be able to buy the dlc, then you have to pay for the dlc to download it, then you have to buy the game to play it, then you have to pay for online just to play multiplayer.

I should be the owner of Activision.
    Gingers always want to become cops so they can abuse others just like they were abused themselves - Ohitspatty speaking the cold, dark truth.

Question

You do know that you even have to pay in order to speak the name of 'Activision' these days ? ...

Actually , no ...

I know i just said in that other thread about how recent and old games all run for the same length and the reason why recent games seemed shorter is due to a simple psychological perception ... Dog Days , however , is really an exception ...

It's just an hour shorter than Dead Men , i didn't made that up ...
    Well ask petersjov , he must have completed his speedrun by now , he'll know ...
    Well, I don't know about that. Each time I read about this, I end up playing it again and I'm like...it's more-less the same. In DeadMen you get more situations where you're in the same place, waiting or just going about it more than once. You don't get this things in DogDays, there's the moment on the docks where you can see the ground where you'll be next, but it's not the same thing as going into the Mizuki twice, or waiting in the bank.

They both are short, that's the problem if you will, but then again, you see a 700 million hours game like fallout and I wonder if that's what I'd like to play. Is it really that much worth a sanbox and minigames like gta? I don't know, we have to understand that making these games is a huge work, to make it bigger, there's going to be some trick.

Just look what they did to make the detailed levels in DogDays, one location, lots of repeting objects, narrow places. Wich is exactly what DeadMen wasn't and it was criticized for it. Now, we can't have it both ways can we?

ps: JackGordon, yeah sorry I was a bit harsh, didn't mean to start a flame war.

It's not the fact that the game is short but rather the story is bad and there are a few problem with the gameplay as well. For starters the most important part of K&L is the story and there basically was non, the games cool for the first two levels and then it just falls apart from a story point of view. There wasn't enough characters in the game on the third level everybody flips on you right away, no geting to know who everybody is or nothing. This is how you sum up Dog Days Lynch:"Braaddy!!" Kane:"What the just happen!!" Lynch:I don't know we got to get to xui!!.. Oh no they killed my xui!! Roll credits. At least on DeadMen they tried to make a good story but on DogDays they did nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last