View Poll Results: Five hours long , and it's not that a big deal , what do you think ? ...

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you serious ? ...

3 21.43%
  • Agreed , it's better that way ...

3 21.43%
  • No really , old arcade games weren't that long anywya , and yet they were ace ! ...

1 7.14%
  • NO ! NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Don't encourage them !!!! ...

2 14.29%
  • Alright if you put it that way ... but these five hours weren't good enough ! ...

5 35.71%
  • Who said this game was short ? ...

1 7.14%
  • I think it's just a pricing problem , otherwise it's all good ...

3 21.43%
  • The fact that it's five hours long isn't The Issue ...

7 50.00%
  • *looks at topic* This is a new trick , ain't it ? ...

2 14.29%
  • This industry just likes to discriminate Kane & Lynch , nothing we can do ...

3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Know what? it's actually not a bad thing that the campaign is only five hours long...

Know what? it's actually not a bad thing that the campaign is only five hours long...

Dog days tried to be more personal but I just didn't see the plot go anywhere. I honestly wonder if at the brainstorm they were like "And then they get on the hijacked plane and take off, and then.....uh.....well.....just end it there, good enough"

Originally Posted by UhUh
    The mask and weapons were the pre order bonus, no wonder they were in the cd in the first place.
    Also, consider this scenario: you are playing an FA game in which one of the guys has a DLC gun ...but you you haven't bought/downloaded that gun and it isn't on the disk because that would of course be immoral - what happens? How are players like you supposed to see a gun that doesn't exist on your disk?
    喋血雙雄 2:伏天

That situation could easily be solved by simply not coming up with such poor business decisions.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

That's how the free market works If they turn out to be poor business decisions, the seller will get burned.

No, that's how arseholes get away with being arseholes.
    Originally Posted by Unpaid Intern
    If they turn out to be poor business decisions, the seller will get burned.
    So, tous les coups sont permis? (French expression, pretty much means: whatever it takes? In this context: whatever it takes to prevent that from happening?)

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    No, that's how arseholes get away with being arseholes.
    You can call it what you want but the food you eat and the clothes you wear are all sold to you under the same principle: the seller charges you as much as he thinks you are willing to pay. If you think that the price of anything you buy is objectively 'fair' then you are kidding yourself.

So, tous les coups sont permis? (French expression, pretty much means: whatever it takes?)
    In a sense yes. As long as there is no deception. Since Square didn't promise anyone free masks or 9 FA levels, I don't see how anyone can argue that there was anything fraudulent about the DLCs.

Once again: that is how supply and demand works.

BTW: I do wish that those DLCs were for free but I am not going to be angry about because it just does not make sense to me.

You can call it what you want but the food you eat and the clothes you wear are all sold to you under the same principle: the seller charges you as much as he thinks you are willing to pay. If you think that the price of anything you buy is objectively 'fair' then you are kidding yourself.
    Except the food I eat actually tastes good and the clothes I wear are more durable than both Dead Men's & Dog Days' multiplayer modes combined.

In a sense yes. As long as there is no deception. Since Square didn't promise anyone free masks or 9 FA levels, I don't see how anyone can argue that there was anything fraudulent about the DLCs.
    Imagine the joy gamers felt when they booted up their brand new retail copy of Dog Days only to find out that three multiplayer levels required, at that time unreleased, DLC to play.
    Many are well aware of my - and others' - feelings in this matter so I will not elaborate on this once again.
    BTW: I do wish that those DLCs were for free but I am not going to be angry about because it just does not make sense to me.
    That is because we're both on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Arrow

Originally Posted by UhUh
    Just look what they did to make the detailed levels in DogDays, one location, lots of repeting objects, narrow places. Wich is exactly what DeadMen wasn't and it was criticized for it. Now, we can't have it both ways can we?
    No , indeed ...

That said , i kind of felt that the 'lack of details' in Dead Men's art direction actually added alot more to the game's tone and ambiance than Shanghai's overcrowded mess ...

Not that the art direction of Dog Days was bad , of course ... but i'd prefer to see them work on making the story and gameplay looking a bit 'detailed' ... than spending time and energy on polishing those trash cans that nobody pays attention to ...

If they can do both , than it would be marvelous , of course ...
    But let's look at it this way , which sets of environment actually had a stronger impact on this game's dedicated audience ? ...
    The narrow and repetitive back alleys of Shanghai ? ...
    Or the broad opening space seen in the Dead Men's journey ? ...

Originally Posted by Icedog
    the games cool for the first two levels and then it just falls apart from a story point of view.
    I have to agree on that , not just from the story perspective , but also on the way the levels were designed (scripting , pacing , ambiance) ...
    The direction was 'tight' up until Chapter V when you enter the appartement , but that too was all that bad , and then in the NSFW level ... it all started to 'loosen up' ...

But what happens when the seller sells you a shirt but without the sleeves , and asks you to pay more for that sleeve , even though you believe it should have been part of the shirt in the first place ? ...

This is basically what people feels about the DLC for Dog Days , the masks , guns , maps ... people believe that they should have been part of the retailed game in the first place , and i can't exactly blame them , afterall these masks should have been unlockables for people who played the online modes long enough , the guns could have been unlockables for completing some bonus objectives in single player , and maps as well ...

It's not like we're talking about DLCs Bethesda made for Fallout 3 , or Rockstar's Episodes for Grand Theft Auto , or even that last piece of DLC for Bioshock 2 ...
    Dog Days' DLCs are ... ... just not 'good' enough on its own ...

At least that's how i think people feel about it , personally i just hate DLCs in general ...

So, tous les coups sont permis?
    It's not exactly like they're are traiter nous comme des chiens , and we don't necessarily feel as badly as having un mal de chien , but we do wish that this industry could avoir du chien , because at the moment i sense that people are in une humeur de dogue ...

Unfortunately ... i guess that in the end , les chiens aboient , la caravane passe ...

Oh and ... Patty ...

Are you serious ? ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

Ta gueulle et fume ta cloppe, Charlie

Cool

Oh et puis tu fait chier , merde ! ...

... ...

Eh ? pas d'étoiles ? dorénavent on parle en frite ! ...

Fais gaffe, gamin. Ou ton chapeau te sortira du mauvais trou...

EDIT: Now everyone watch as Charlie will write his longest, most profound wall of text yet. IN FRENCH! Just for the sake of outdoing me!

Exclamation

Parcequ'il y a un bon trou ? ...

Évidemment!

Lightbulb

Non non non ce n'est pas possible , jamais dans toute ma vie j'ai vue une telle insolence de la part d'une carte , non mais c'est vrai quoi , il fait quoi l* Sirius ? ... ah , c'est l'étoile sirius , mon dieu , j'ai crue que c'était Gary Oldman , non mais ça fait peur tu imagine le type qui plane l* dans l'espace ? il nous mangera tous comme du gouter ...

Remarque c'est pas une si mauvaise idée , on sera tous dans son ventre ... ... trop cool ...

Bref il faut mieux retourner sur le sujet avant qu'on se fasse tous griller comme des hot dogs ...

Alors en conclusion , qu'es-ce qu'il n'allait pas dans Caïn & Lynchage: Jour de Chien:
    La trame du jeu était pour la plupart décevant , les contenus téléchargeable * littéralment énerver l'Homme Chien (au point où il s'est transformer en un dragon chien * trois tete) , et le gars * la tete d'un chinois qui chiale tout le temps * plus ou moins contaminé les esprits de tous le monde en raccontant des charabia pas possible sur la politique du dévelopement , la philosophie d'un concept , et plein d'autre choses tres importante ... en fait on peut dire que c'est ce monde de folie et de connerie qui n'est pas assez civiliser pour comprendre notre seigneur adorer , le singe aux cheveux long , parceque tous ce qu'il dit ça vaut de l'or ...

Moi je pense que , pour le bien de tous , il faut que dans le troisième opus de jeu les personnages principaux ait des pouvoirs magique , comme lancer des boules de feu ou encore utiliser des yétis comme transport commun , nos protagonnist seront poursuivie par des canadiens en colère , les poussant * rentrer dans une machine temporelle ...
    Ainsi on se retrouve dans les années de la prohibition , Cane se retrouve comme barman déchue et Linche devient le président des états unis , et déclare la guerre avec le reste du monde apres qu'il * su * quel point la vie était chiante si il n'y avait pas des guerres et d'explosions ...
    Ensuite on mettra quelque part dans l'histoire des morts vivants ou un truc du genre , poussant nos héros de lancer quelque bombe nucléaire , le monde explose , et pour le meilleur de tous ...

Voil* mon idée en vrac , si c'était en détail j'ajouterais que Cane conduira * un moment un char qui plonge dans l'eau et qui vole aussi dans les cieux , et * un autre moment Linchie apprendra * lire et * écrire ...
    C'est une histoire simple mais extremement complexe , pour toute la famille , chien comprit ...
    Il n'y aura aucun projet de contenue téléchargeable , en revanche , le gameplay sera tellement varié que nos consoles explosera * la fin du jeu , obligeant * tous le monde de racheter leur console et le jeu ...

Et oui , je suis un génie ...

Originally Posted by gnrGrievous
    Caïn & Lynchage: JourS de Chien
    Plural. There's more but I really, really don't feel like playing teacher.

Bonjour!
    Où est l'aéroport?

Originally Posted by ohitspatty
    Bonjour!
    Où est l'aéroport?
    DLC.

Not that the art direction of Dog Days was bad , of course ... but i'd prefer to see them work on making the story and gameplay looking a bit 'detailed' ... than spending time and energy on polishing those trash cans that nobody pays attention to ...
    Dude, games aren't (usually) made by a single person anymore The job of the art department is to polish the trash cans (etc) and in no way does that sap the energy of whoever comes up with the story or designs/manages the gameplay.

But what happens when the seller sells you a shirt but without the sleeves , and asks you to pay more for that sleeve , even though you believe it should have been part of the shirt in the first place ? ...
    The tshirt analogy doesn't work because there is no universally-accepted standard for how long a game should be or how many levels/guns/etc it should have. It's a pretty simple idea but people just ignore it and keep trying to feed me that 'we were sold integral pieces of the game experience as DLC' angle...

Sigh.. Anyhow, we are turning in circles here and I honestly don't feel strongly enough about 3 extra FA levels and collector gear to keep doing it...

I could explode right about now. But I won't because first I need to charge you 400MSP.

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ohitspatty
    It taught me how to/why i should despise people , not a bad lesson indeed ...

DLC.

THAT MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD I STARTED TAPPING MYSELF ! ...

But it didn't made me laugh t'ill the point that i cry , so that's a fail ! ...

Dude, games aren't (usually) made by a single person anymore The job of the art department is to polish the trash cans (etc) and in no way does that sap the energy of whoever comes up with the story or designs/manages the gameplay.
    Alright then , but that still doesn't answer how is that for Dog Days , we got more polish on the trash cans and less work on gameplay (i'm more thinking on the second act specially) and story (some say that there isn't any work on story at all , i wouldn't go that far , but still) ...

It's clear that some dedicated people worked on Dog Days , but some things just doesn't feel right ...

It's like if ... there's this shoemaker who was working on a brand new pair of boots , despite having a injured left hand at the time , so naturally , the end result is a pair of boots that didn't looked quite like what he wanted it to look like ...
    Then three years later this same shoemaker makes another brand new pair of boots , and though the injuries on his left hand has healed since then , he's lost his entire right arm in the passing years , so the end result is a even more awkward looking pair of boots ...

The tshirt analogy doesn't work because there is no universally-accepted standard for how long a game should be or how many levels/guns/etc it should have. It's a pretty simple idea but people just ignore it and keep trying to feed me that 'we were sold integral pieces of the game experience as DLC' angle...
    Let's look at it this way then ...

It's all about pacing and presentation ...
    You make a game , you release it ...
    Later , you have made some extra stuff for the game and you think it that people would like it , so you release it , and by the time you release it , it is 'Later' ...

Here , what we have is a game , it's released , But Then , people see that there are stuff that are not in the game ... Locked , for some reason ...
    And Then , no more than two weeks after the game's release you see that these 'locked' stuff has came out , but you still have to buy a key to unlock it ...

To keep it simple , they shouldn't have put in the retail game these locked DLC content and put a red line over it saying that you can't access it , it's like if you buy a safe , you get the key for the safe , but as you open the safe you see that on the right corner there's a mini-safe , but you need another key to open it ... of course , it's optional , but since it's optional , then what the hell is this mini-safe doing in the main safe in the first place ? ...
    If people wanted to add a mini-safe to their safe then they'll Buy the mini-safe , people don't want to see the mini-safe already occupying a piece of space in their brand new space , taunting at the new owner ...

Of course there's no universally accepted standard on how much content a game should have (otherwise we'll be in utopia , too good for this world) , but then don't wave the key lock all over the screen , telling people that you just can't access it because you didn't bought it ... makes sense At First , you didn't bought the content so of course you can't access it , makes sense ...
    But couldn't they just ... do it in a less provocative way ? ...
    Couldn't they just say that "there's more content ready for you if you want to buy it" instead of this "as you can see , there's more content ready for you , but you sure as hell ain't going to have it because you didn't bought it" ...

It just gives people the wrong idea , so they become mad dogs ...

Like this one over here ...

I could explode right about now. But I won't because first I need to charge you 400MSP.
    On peut meme pas avoir un explosion gratuit et tu te plaint des contenus téléchargeable , mais ça va pas la tete ou quoi ? ...

It's "explosion gratuitE" because it's une explosion.

Un explosif gratuit. Une explosion gratuite.

Fun fact: DogMan's mother was a Dutch & English teacher in a French-speaking school.

THAT MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD I STARTED TAPPING MYSELF ! ...

But it didn't made me laugh t'ill the point that i cry , so that's a fail ! ...
    I'm all dry myself

It's like if ... there's this shoemaker who was working on a brand new pair of boots , despite having a injured left hand at the time , so naturally , the end result is a pair of boots that didn't looked quite like what he wanted it to look like ...
    Then three years later this same shoemaker makes another brand new pair of boots , and though the injuries on his left hand has healed since then , he's lost his entire right arm in the passing years , so the end result is a even more awkward looking pair of boots ...
    LOL you crack me up. Good ...

Would be cool for fans to see a 'post mortem' of Dog Days at some point but I doubt that will happen. I think a certain minimum metacritic score is required to unlock one of those.

Let's look at it this way then ...

It's all about pacing and presentation ...
    You make a game , you release it ...
    Later , you have made some extra stuff for the game and you think it that people would like it , so you release it , and by the time you release it , it is 'Later' ...

Here , what we have is a game , it's released , But Then , people see that there are stuff that are not in the game ... Locked , for some reason ...
    And Then , no more than two weeks after the game's release you see that these 'locked' stuff has came out , but you still have to buy a key to unlock it ...

To keep it simple , they shouldn't have put in the retail game these locked DLC content and put a red line over it saying that you can't access it , it's like if you buy a safe , you get the key for the safe , but as you open the safe you see that on the right corner there's a mini-safe , but you need another key to open it ... of course , it's optional , but since it's optional , then what the hell is this mini-safe doing in the main safe in the first place ? ...
    If people wanted to add a mini-safe to their safe then they'll Buy the mini-safe , people don't want to see the mini-safe already occupying a piece of space in their brand new space , taunting at the new owner ...

Of course there's no universally accepted standard on how much content a game should have (otherwise we'll be in utopia , too good for this world) , but then don't wave the key lock all over the screen , telling people that you just can't access it because you didn't bought it ... makes sense At First , you didn't bought the content so of course you can't access it , makes sense ...
    But couldn't they just ... do it in a less provocative way ? ...
    This I actually understand. I agree that the idea of 'locked content' is provocative.. Instead of seeing the locked menu slots for the levels for what they are (essentially, in-game advertising for extra content), some people think that they represent parts of the game that they paid for but which are being held for ransom. Of course, the levels are not already on disk and the guns, masks are only on disk for technical reasons ..but it still gives people the wrong idea. I guess that devs need to recognize this...

Seriously. What is it you think you are 'provoking' then by doing this? A happy dance?! If it gives people the wrong idea then whatever it is that is giving them that wrong idea needs to be revised.

Also, those maps were ready before the game even went to the printing factory, correct?

Seriously. What is it you think you are 'provoking' then by doing this? A happy dance?!
    Obviously, some misguided feelings of entitlement...

If it gives people the wrong idea then whatever it is that is giving them that wrong idea needs to be revised.
    Didn't I just say the exact same thing?

Also, those maps were ready before the game even went to the printing factory, correct?
    1) You are assuming they were but is that an established fact?

2) Even if they were, so what? Are you entitled to all the french fries in the vat at McDonald's just because they are ready when your box is served to you? McDonald's decides how many fries go into each box and how much they will sell it for. You are free to buy or to pass.

Unhappy

My darling Dog Man , unless i'm really such an idiot that i've missed another episode , our civilised Unpaid Intern here seems to have said in his reply to my post that he 'understands' what i'm saying , and to some extent , even agrees with it ... ... and that's about it ...

I mean it's not like if he said all those things just to distract us while a ninja sneaks up behind me to light my hair up like a christmas tree now ... is it ? ...

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last