Thread: Prophet

Prophet

Note: Mortanius was possessed by the Hylden Lord, who in all timelines should be in the Demon Dimension. He is the first of his kind that learned how to breach his soul back into Nosgoth, where he wound up possessing Mortanius. I also do not think that long-dead Hylden pre-banishment had the ability to possess the living. It's implied greatly that, as the binding begins to fail, the Hylden find it easier to project their souls through into Nosgoth the possess corpses and living beings.

Defiance happens in the past, with Raziel and Kain's appearance in Avernus to see the Cenobites occurring simultaneously to the events of Blood Omen 1. Roughly, that would be about 1,800 years prior, give or take a century, from the war happening now.

Edit: Yes, ZeroFernir; there is a book you find that talks of the cult and his name (voiced by one of the developers, I believe).

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    Note: Mortanius was possessed by the Hylden Lord, who in all timelines should be in the Demon Dimension. He is the first of his kind that learned how to breach his soul back into Nosgoth, where he wound up possessing Mortanius. I also do not think that long-dead Hylden pre-banishment had the ability to possess the living. It's implied greatly that, as the binding begins to fail, the Hylden find it easier to project their souls through into Nosgoth the possess corpses and living beings.

Defiance happens in the past, with Raziel and Kain's appearance in Avernus to see the Cenobites occurring simultaneously to the events of Blood Omen 1. Roughly, that would be about 1,800 years prior, give or take a century, from the war happening now.

Edit: Yes, ZeroFernir; there is a book you find that talks of the cult and his name (voiced by one of the developers, I believe).
    So, the Q&A that said Turel as Hash'Ak'Gik was possessed by multiple Hylden was wrong? The Hylden were possessing Revenants before the binding fell, so they did have some influence beyond the demon dimension. Yes, those were dead, but it could be different rules when a person willingly relinquishes control of their own body. Also, in BO1 Kain mentioned the "strange cult" (possibly in Willendorf library) that demon possession would follow wherever they went. The Hylden would seem to be the most likely candidate for that.

Originally Posted by Kain
    I came upon another book of interest buried deep amongst the library’s tomes. It spoke of a small cult that existed in Nosgoth, ages past. Wherever they traveled strange tales of human possession would follow. Little is known of the god they worshipped.
    http://www.nosgoth.net/Blood_Omen/dialogue/page7.htm
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 9th Apr 2014 at 15:12.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Viridian24
    Prophets...predict stuff?
    Note that prophet doesn't necessarily mean "predicts the future", as it can also mean "talks to god(s)". What exactly qualifies as a god is sort of up to interpretation, if they are in fact talking to anyone other than themselves.

I might be alone in actually liking the pistol, though I have a fondness for old-timey firearms. That being said, I was reading one of the other threads on this topic which posted the file names that may be associated with this, and one of them read "pistols" (plural), which has me a little concerned. I find dual pistols to be rather silly. They have their place, but I don't think it's here. The silhouette does look like it only has one, as I'm assuming that bump on the leg is just a hand and not a gun barrel.

Overall, I too was expect a little more of a traditional magic type with a name like prophet, but the difference has me interested. Given the association with Avernus, I'm hoping for some more moral ambiguity on the human side. Creepy cultists have no reason to like vampires any more than decent folk (well, except the creepy vampire worshiper cult, but this is obviously not them). We know the vampire clans don't get along, and some of that dynamic on the human side would be interesting.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    So, the Q&A that said Turel as Hash'Ak'Gik was possessed by multiple Hylden was wrong?
    Where do I contend that? I said the Hylden Lord was possessing Mortanius, not Hash'ak'gik, nor do I say anything about Turel not being possessed by Hylden.

The Hylden were possessing Revenants before the binding fell, so they did have some influence beyond the demon dimension.
    I said they could cross over as the binding began to fail, not only after it failed. The entire section of Raziel's quest through Defiance happens post the corruption of the Pillars, which is when it "began to fail."

Yes, those were dead, but it could be different rules when a person willingly relinquishes control of their own body. Also, in BO1 Kain mentioned the "strange cult" (possibly in Willendorf library) that demon possession would follow wherever they went. The Hylden would seem to be the most likely candidate for that.
    I'm not sure if we have our wires crossed here. What I referred to as "dead" Hylden were the ones that died before the Banishment of them, that had never gone through to the Demon Realm. The ones possessing Revenants we see are souls of banished Hylden who are projecting through the dimensional rift back into Nosgoth. As the binding began failing, they found it easier to project their souls through.

As for the cult, yes I think that the Hylden Lord probably taught others how to do what he did even before the binding began failing. I'd love it if Turel was in the pit, possessed for longer than the 30 year gap this would only leave otherwise, for instance.

Considering that this cult is also headed by Mortanius, who can summon the dead, and Azimuth, who can summon demons, it's possible also the tales of possession included their influences. Hm, I never stopped to think on this before, but perhaps Azimuth actually could have helped some Hylden cross their souls over earlier than when the Pillars became corrupted. Interesting notion, but why not, right?

Where do I contend that? I said the Hylden Lord was possessing Mortanius, not Hash'ak'gik, nor do I say anything about Turel not being possessed by Hylden.
    I thought you said the hylden lord was the only one strong enough to possess living beings until the binding failed and that the others had to make do with corpses until then. Like you said, wires crossed.

EDIT: 30 year gap? Is that based on Ariel's death being their first move 30 years before BO1?
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 9th Apr 2014 at 16:18.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    EDIT: 30 year gap? Is that based on Ariel's death being their first move 30 years before BO1?
    Ariel's death is the corruption of the Pillars, and the point at which the Binding begins to decline. If the Hylden couldn't possess people before the Decline (which they could, so it's moot anyway), Turel would have had no reason to be in Avernus until then.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    Ariel's death is the corruption of the Pillars, and the point at which the Binding begins to decline. If the Hylden couldn't possess people before the Decline (which they could, so it's moot anyway), Turel would have had no reason to be in Avernus until then.
    @The_Hylden, was that what you meant, that they couldn't possess people before the decline and Turel therefore couldn't have been possessed longer than that? I'm losing track, but were the hylden possessing people while Kain was still in the Sarafan era (before the decline) in Defiance? I think it was mentioned that when the demons started talking in SR2, that the hylden were using those as vessels to possess. @Lord_Aevum, were those the examples you were going to give, or did I forget something?

I didn't mean that they couldn't do it before then, only that the binding beginning to fail is when it became easier for them to cross over.

No Hylden possessing corpses or living beings is seen in Kain's chapters in the Sarafan past. You don't even see them in his chapters when he jumps through time to BO1's present, maybe only to keep the mechanics of the game focused.

@Vampmaster

That's right. It's heavily hinted that the demons at the end of Soul Reaver 2 are under Hylden possession, and that's nearly 500 years before anything happens to the Pillars.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by Denaros
    The cenobites are far in the past you mean no ? They exist in all timelines and SR1 (and nosgoth) is set in the second timeline, the first end when kain kill william.
    Yep, just had a small lapse of memory ... : ) It still wouldn't make sense that Prophets could be descendants of cenobites though, since continuity from the fourth timeline wouldn't flow into the second.

Thanks for the correction on Nosgoth being in the second timeline, I never played BO1 ... just SR1 through Defiance.

So he's something like a demon summoner? (like the cenobites).

Uhm...i would like to know why he's carring a gun

It will make a nice addition, with the Deceiver coming soon...

Some very interesting ideas have been shared above, I just hope this character will not be a mere shooter but more of a conjurer of a sort, with bewitching items and obscure, somewhat ghoulish properties. Quite different.
    signature image

yeah its a nice addition to the existing material
    Last edited by Darjan; 10th Apr 2014 at 16:29.

Originally Posted by RemovedQuasar
    So he's something like a demon summoner? (like the cenobites).

Uhm...i would like to know why he's carring a gun
    Who said it was a "he"?

Well, well, a Prophetess it is, then!
    signature image

I was wondering about that, as the silhouette is rather ambiguous.

Then if that is true how is the devolved Turel present there at Avernus when Kain hadn't turned him into a vampire yet in the timeline?

Originally Posted by CosmicShadow99
    Then if that is true how is the devolved Turel present there at Avernus when Kain hadn't turned him into a vampire yet in the timeline?
    It's suspected that he was one of the many creatures Azimuth summoned from other times using the timestreaming device she stole from Moebius. I think Amy said she deliberately left it vague in order to not limit herself later on.

Originally Posted by CosmicShadow99
    How familiar are you with the LoK story? Have you read this Q&A, or this one?

there needs to be a werewolf class cause humans and werewolfs are friends when it comes to vampires XD

I hope the last human class will be based on the "Sarafan Brotherhood" and will be some kind of melee spear wielding/throwing class or sword/shield combo

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...eman-Close.PNG

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...emy-Zephon.png

They would realy look awesome ingame with those nice armors. I would definetly buy alot of skins for that class if it were come to existance.

Again I know the game is assymetrical ( melee vs ranged) but I'm sure you can find some compromises and balance where you can give the Sarafan based warrrior some sort of melee attack while still retaining the balance and fun of the game.

A bit unrelated but this is an awesome pic : http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/Ima...Concept-01.JPG
    Last edited by Sophax; 11th Apr 2014 at 12:49.

Well the prophet has a pistol of sorts so, probably not based on the sarafan but a more evolved Avernus Monk, thing, person. yeah. we'll see during the weekend stream at PAX.

Originally Posted by Sophax
    I hope the last human class will be based on the "Sarafan Brotherhood" and will be some kind of melee spear wielding/throwing class or sword/shield combo
    Since Human are on the range side, I would prefer something based on the Sarafan warrior priestess (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/File:Priestess.jpg) or Sarafan Inquisitor (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...efiance%29.jpg). We definitively need magic in this game. But first, I'll wait for the Prophet's abilities to be displayed in order for me to reconsider my wish for the last human class.

Originally Posted by Sophax

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...eman-Close.PNG

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...emy-Zephon.png

They would realy look awesome ingame with those nice armors. I would definetly buy alot of skins for that class if it were come to existance.

Again I know the game is assymetrical ( melee vs ranged) but I'm sure you can find some compromises and balance where you can give the Sarafan based warrrior some sort of melee attack while still retaining the balance and fun of the game.

A bit unrelated but this is an awesome pic : http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/Ima...Concept-01.JPG
    There won't be Sarafan in this game. They died out over 2000 years earlier and the Ironguard are their descendants. It would be nice if they got some "ancestral armor" though.

Page 2 of 6 First First 123456 Last