Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Kain's Lament: Fan Art

Thanks for the watch

Yup, I love having something so vivid in my mind that I have to make it, but it can be frustrating when I can't get it made fast enough, lol I just want that mental ability to will it into being and save my hands and my butt the wear and tear, heh. I tried on the Rion piece later on to speed my process up by making those three poor vampire hunters in the foreground quickly, without first drawing the line art, with all the little details, then coloring that in with base colors, and working up from that (my normal process), but just painting the shape in and refining it. I did like that it went so well. After this piece I'm on, I think I'll do more of that...

Oh, and less landscapes with millions of characters and background details... I seem to keep wanting to one-up the complexity of pieces somewhere in my subconscious.

Np!

I'd love THAT ability... but it's like the Force, no matter how often I try to flip a light switch with my mind so I don't have to get the hell up, it appears I just don't have the 'gift'. . .

Yea, if you've taught yourself to work up from a scanned line drawing, or a base drawing with a tablet, doing it from blocked in shapes without guides feels just UGH at first. Like you're going against nature with this strangeness. But it's the same process, and computers are infinitely forgiving compared to paper and paint - I totally prefer it now, even if I can't quite envision at first what exactly I end up with at the end, you can keep going with it until it's looking right. Unlearning old habits to learn new shortcuts seems to be the hardest thing.

I think you should always try to one-up yourself each time with a new bit of art, definitely. But if you get tired of how long all the little details take, perhaps try a bit of impressionism. Good impressionists always impress me... the ability to suggest something strongly but without explicit detail can be just as poignant as defining it exactly. That said, I've never found impressionism easy because I learned drawing by detail... it's like, walking backwards to me. . .

Ok, so I'm still working on the Hylden mural piece. It's huge and I have only recently been feeling better. I'm getting there on it.

However, I did take a break from it and did something maybe even cooler You know how Defiance's characters kind of aren't accurate? Kain's details, Raziel's, etc., are more cartoony, less accurate to SR2, and certainly far off from SR1 & 2's intros. Well, I'm actually surprised no-one's ever posted doing this before, but I recently remembered good ol' Textmod and how I said to myself years before I had a wacom tablet that I wanted to one day play around with the textures using Textmod and make them accurate. I had forgotten about it since then. Kain's details need an upgrade, especially, as I have lamented for a few years now that he's been jipped in his own series a bit. Well, I finally sat down and did it. I upgraded Kain from Defiance by hand painting over his textures until he is as accurate to SR1 and 2's intros as I can achieve. Behold the result:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Everything has been painted over entirely, even the Reaver, except the emblem on his chest and his teeth, with were only partially painted over. The emblem just mostly needed to be changed color-wise and the edge darkened so it didn't look like it was bleeding over into his chest, by default on the Defiance model. His teeth needed removing of the unnecessary blood on the fangs and the teeth needed to be bigger in the gumline. Kain in Defiance had baby teeth, besides his fangs... His tongue and gums are darkened and made less orange...

In order for his Reaver and pants, gauntlets, and leggings to display properly, I needed to delete the information in their light maps, which do nothing for any character in these games but wash out their details and muddy the contrast. Kain didn't need a green light reflecting map on his pants... trial and error, and I got it just right.

More images:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

The thing you might notice here is just how darn perfect Kain's actual face is modeled. I think Daniel Cabuco might have done the modeling, but was mainly art director? I don't think he handled the textures on Kain, but who knows. Maybe I'll ask on his site later. I know the model was modeled to Kain damn well, as how else would his SR1/2 intro self fit so perfectly, 99.9% accurate to it? I don't know why, then, the textures were so changed and couldn't be similarly accurate. It's a shame, especially since the Kain from the intros is what they start off with in Defiance...

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

I'll upload the textures and details on using Textmod in the Defiance section later on, in the Widescreen mod thread. I might make that a general moding thread for Defiance.

However, now I'm going to go enjoy being actual Kain finally, after all of these years The only drawback now is that everyone else in the game looks so dumbed down. They all need an upgrade. Ah well One thing at a time!

WOW!! that is amazing!!!
    i hope you get to do raziel next!!

how long did it take you to make and alter the mesh?
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

Thanks, majinkura

It took four, almost five days to do all pf the texture maps. Kain is broken up into: head; chest; legs, emblem, and forearms, hair; cape; and the Reaver. All except the Reaver are also doubled -- one larger and one smaller texture. Interestingly enough, the smaller one is used for the cutscenes -_- A nice copy and paste at the same larger size fixes that, though.

And I'm not done. I found the texture for the artificial widescreen black bars in cutscenes and deleted the information there, so now no more black bars. Aaaaand... This: I tackled and fixed Kain's chest wound, making it an actual believable chest wound.

(click image to enlarge)

Now, when Raziel plunges his huge hand into Kain, it looks like he's actually doing it -- breaking his sternum and ribs and ripping Kain a new one:

(click image to enlarge)

lol, this is actually fun. I definitely am going to tackle Raziel eventually, and hopefully the others.

Very nice work Hylden! I definitely see some major changes in Kain. Definitely more intense and less cartoony like you said.

But i was wondering if you could post a few pics of the original Kain next to your Kain for reference, so i could easily see all the new details? Purty please?

My background is your earlier work of Kain and Raz vs the world btw! Zoomed in slightly to get more of a wow effect when someone sees it and notices the Flay! I think one of my friends said somehing like "hey I remember this game... WTE (what the edit) happened to that guy?!"

Thanks, Strands I'm glad that work is still being enjoyed. (Incidentally, that's supposed to be implode Kain has used on that poor slob -- a combo of TK (yellow energy, like the promo pics from Defiance) to lift him up, and red implode to obliterate him -- me showing a small taste of how I'd like to see Kain's powers and abilities/forms combined in combat).

I fixed a minor issue with the Reaver. I didn't notice I had a layer partially transparent and there was a line on the top wing that shouldn't have been there. I had to use an older file saved, which luckily I had, because I saved the Photoshop file that way. Potential screwed day avoided, thankfully, lol

Reaver fix:

(click image to enlarge)

And below are the comparison shots from old to new:

Old

(click image to enlarge)

New

(click image to enlarge)

Old

(click image to enlarge)

New

(click image to enlarge)

Old

(click image to enlarge)

New

(click image to enlarge)

As for the changes ... they're almost too numerable to think of at this late hour , I'll list them tomorrow. Off to bed...

Edit: Now let me list those crazy changes.

Fixed Kain's facial structure. The cheek bones, sunken in jowls, looking almost like his skin is gone and the muscle underneath has hardened into skin (I suspect rather, though, that the muscle simply hardened and became more visible on patterns in the upper skin, instead… Just to clarify ). Darkened his lips and around the eyes to SR1/2 levels. Brightened and removed the black in the yellow eyes, changed the black boarder they put on the yellow eye to a blood red, like it's supposed to be. Darkened Vorador's ring. Cleaned his teeth from the perpetual blood stain on the fangs, making them pop now, and increased the size of his teeth in the gums so they aren't baby teeth anymore. Darkened the gums and tongue, made them more dark red/pink, than the orangish color before. Darkened his hair a tad, while adding just a bit more definition, especially to the top of his head. I even changed the hair tie to being the golden metal ringed thing it is the FMV, not the beige engraved thing they made it.

Fixed the cracked skin detail and anatomy structure -- especially the abdomen area -- of his chest, and shoulders/upper arm area. Added the scar back where it was, how it was, in SR1/2. I could not add in the mirrored scar on his back that's actually in the FMV Model of Kain (a truly cool detail ), due to the back part of the texture being a full mirror, so you paint half and it doubles to fit the entire back. Shame...

Removed the reflector map on Kain's gauntlets, paints, and leggings (these reflector maps, again, do nothing but wash out the details on the models). Changed the shape of his paint-line to allow his bottom belly to show, like it should, changed the brighter orange cowhide look they gave the leather at the belly and wrapped around his forearms and cloves -- making the leather at the belly dark leather, and there is a trim of this leather at the waistline that should be there, but wasn't, that wraps now around his back, like it should. Changed the wrap on his arms to be actual wrappings, dark burgundy, not orange, and his gloves a lighter version. On the gauntlets and pants, removed the added rivets they put in, that were never there before, and restored on the pants, specifically, the rivets that should be there (while making al rivets look like metal rivets, not yellow blobs), holding the top of the added leather padding on his thigh to right under the straps on his waste. Fixed the bright yellow trim on these leather parts to be the duller yellow/off white feathery trim they should be. Fixed the straps around his waste. The leather of the pants also is wrinkled like it is in the FMVs; very happy with the leather textures here. Oh, and the gauntlets, now without the rivets and such, are back to being strapped on, and they show the portions of his wrappings on his hands where they should.

Fixed his shoulder strap from thick, muddy-looking brown leather to being the worn rawhide look it should be. Changed the emblem from bright yellow/gold to the duller, old fading bronze color it was. If I could remove the mirrored emblem on his back, I would, since there never were two of them before, but the nature of the texture mirrors it. Darkened the edge of the emblem, so the rest that bleeds over onto Kain's model doesn't look like a yellow blob, but more like a shadow. Darkened the cape to the color it should be, made it wrinkled and textured realistically, added the symbol back the way it flowed on the cape, larger like it was. Impossible to make the symbol mirror on the underside of the cape, due to the way the texture wraps, but at least there are the two lines from the top of the symbol that stretch underneath, adding some color there.

Fixed the leggings. The dark bronze, worn metal color, with worn scrapings on the edges of the metal, is back, like it should be. The details, with each metal piece as it is on the leggings, are as accurate as can be. Another point to note that they could have gotten this right, as it fits over their texture near flawlessly, if they would have just tried to. Instead, they changed the connecting metal pieces and made it look like stone suddenly, not darker bronze, and added in weird nonsensical patterns in the darker parts... All fixed. Oh, and I'm happy that I added on the feet, which wasn't there, the under part of the metal leggings that cover over the top of the ankle; when Kain moves and the upper legging moves, you see this underneath and it's strapped under the bottom of his foot now, which it was not before. So, when you have Kain jump, you'll see the leggings are secured by the strap under his foot, like they should be. That is one of the details I'm most happy I could get right. It's the little things lol With that, the feet textures are accurate now, too.

The Reaver:

Fixed the blade* I cannot state that enough. The blade is now fixed. Not the shape, as the model is the model. However, the detail is as accurate as you can get. The blood-rusted blood trail is back, with the, what looks to be, calcium and lime encrusted inner blade back to being like it was (a detail to show how old the blade actually is that I always loved when seeing the blade ), and the tapering outer metal edges are now visible. Removed the reflector map, so these details can be seen. The skull is as fixed as can be, given the changes to the model's structure. The wings also are as fixed as can be, even thought the model alters them to some degree you can't fix. The under wings now rise up to the top like they should, with the top wing arcing upward more, and meeting where it should in the skull. Fixed the detail on the hilt. It not longer looks like a pixelated mess up close.

Lol, and that's what I fixed...

That took longer to type out than to do

Wow Hylden you did a fantastic job with the upgrade, Kain looks much better for his make over. I think if we ever get a new game you should be given final approval of the model lol. I'd love to get to play with the modified version. I can't really put into words how much better he looks, but you get the picture! Can't wait to see Raz if you have the time and want to sort him out too

Fixed Kain's facial structure. The cheek bones, sunken in jowls, looking almost like his skin is gone and the muscle underneath has hardened into skin (I suspect rather, though, that the muscle simply hardened and became more visible on patterns in the upper skin, instead… Just to clarify ). Darkened his lips and around the eyes to SR1/2 levels.
    so wait..your saying you had to edit the model's poly's?
    signature image

Wow. I didnt need a comprehensive list lol. But i read it anyway! Im always amazed at the number of details I overlook when most of you get down to the nitty-gritty.

The cape looks astounding! And his pants/lower body in general look amazing! Also very nice job on the Reaver! I never even noticed how shiny it was compared to Sr1/2.

He looks amazing overall, but i do have one teensie gripe You made him paler, and more "marbled" and it looks very good by itself, but he appears to be in super high contrast to some of the darker areas now. Or maybe its just the lighting in the screens.

Hate to say it (cuz i heart Defiance) but I definitely like your Kain textures better, hands down.

wow, awesome! I really love the way you did his pants and the boots
    Though, Kain´s colour, as Strands pointed out, is too pale and the details on his skin are too thick. Also the symbol on his cape is a bit thick too (it´s colour is much better though!). If you can fix those, that would look astounding maybe we could merge your fixed Kain + Reaver textures with the ones we made for Raziel and Mortanius, to have an ultimate Def pack

The Reaver´s blade part looks a hundred times better, never understood why did they make so shiny all of a sudden. Great job! However, I don´t like the skull area.. looks much cleaner in the original version. Can you fix it up? Thanks so much Hylden!

So this is what you've been up to. A jumble of reactions to the Kain contrast posted in #57--- His flag looks fresh from the factory. Impressively crisp colors. Like someone who hasn't been tackled yet and who doesn't have to ruff it out on the roads. (all true). Emperial Ego level cleanliness!

There's more to look at in the after photo! Especially around the face but also with bright/dark contrast on the entire body. Sometimes that's a plus, like when multiple Kains are in a pose-off and trying to get noticed. I think I'd be more constantly aware of this redone character's detail, though. Like they eye wouldn't slide off of this Kain as easily as the less busy Defiance one. Which could distract from the action going on around the character. But the very next thought I had was that if both of those Kains walked out of the shadows, yours would be more supernaturally jarring to behold, and therefore preferable as the one to use. The eye just starts to assess the Defiance Kain on sight, like "Okay, so he's got lines there and there, and he's wearing a real bright horseshoe in place of an athletic cup," whereas with the reworked picture my initial reaction is closer to shock, like "Oh crap, we've got some kind of creature of the night here who seems to blend with the shadows as if they were part of his substance. And not only does he look permanently embittered by his own private concerns already, but now that he's seen me I also get the impression he's deeply unconcerned with whether I live or die... "

So you've brought back more of the visceral truth of what he'd be like to deal with! Both of them still look "video-gamey" to me, so maybe that's unavoidable and can't be totally washed out, since it did come from.... a video game. (with that wacky shoulder area pattern of skin lines you inherited from SR, which really need higher res or higher something in order to come off as real, and of course the bony forehead ridge that just happened to evolve as the perfect hair accessory. I just wish that tiara ridge of bone had been explained away as some kind of semi-conscious evolution based on the depth of his belief in his own divine right to be king. That way its presence on his forehead wouldn't be so symbolically convenient that it's distracting).

Did Defiance steer away from this type of horror monster image from earlier in the series in order to make him seem more.... pondering, with those toothy expressions on his face saying "I've got more going on upstairs than just thoughts of eating you, ...right? Sure, I'm a meanie, but I'm also going to give it lots of consideration before I just jump right in and eviscerate." More sympathetic looking, in other words. They must have been trying to paint him so that his potential to fix the world would be somehow visible on his face. So they nixed some of the demonic elements. I might have had a tougher time cheering for this more sinister Kain, for example, or imagining his journey ending well. I'd have been wondering, "Wouldn't it maybe be for the best if Raziel went ahead and killed him in this fight?" Which might be why they gave us Kain-Hue-Clues for how we should feel about him as the series progressed, starting with the less lovable SR visage when Kain was still more trapped in an emotional maze, and then they cleaned & brightened him up a bit for Defiance now that he (and his mental state) are emerging into the light as the story turns the corner. The reflectivity in your Kain's hooves and shoulder pads aren't his fault, that's the game environment's fault for being so drab and under-lit. In a real game this new guy's personal light levels would be synched with his surroundings, so that's not a worry. And like I said, I'd be all spooked out if that fanger appeared on the outskirts of Ushtenheim on a night when the moon provided the lighting he has in the pic.

And come to think of it, he IS still a cursed being despite the recent spirit cleansing. So this more horrible/tortured visage of him makes more sense than the seemingly calm, clean, & "balanced" Kain from Defiance. It's too easy to imagine sitting down at the local pub with Defiance Kain and having an affable conversation. In reality he's not in control of his condition enough for that. He only prevents it from showing by beating the curse to the punch and being all "Oh yeah, I'm totally enjoying this bloodletting stuff! You know it!" That's what he chooses over trying to stand up to the curse, getting whipped by it, and feeling helpless. Knowing internally that he's whipped is the self-esteem killer that gives him all the "you think you're better than me?" rage he uses to Mike Tyson the other vampires into submission. Better to be feared than pitied. So painting him demon-tinted like this helps remind me that even though the Balance pillar might have gotten its Guardian back in good standing again, Kain still isn't an ideal match for Balance due to how bloodlust keeps him from being one with the mission. Someone with the bloodlust might excel as a cold calculating killer & power player, but now that he's trying to take on the role of Balance Guardian his vampirism is more of a negative distraction, because he'll be hungering for some of the populations he's supposed to be serving as constituents, not serving as dinner. Bottom line: as balance guardian for Nosgoth he's still more of a fixer-upper opportunity whereas Defiance implied he was now the very image of restored health. ....Only Mother Hen(nig) knows the full significance of the previous balance spirits baptizing the Scion, though. Perhaps she was going to have them stamp his soul with a sense of inner peace that would teach him the true spirit of Balance so he could act like a proper balance guard despite the curse? As if they knew to give him the perfect wedding gift instead of whatever he'd short-sightedly put on the gift registry. That would leave him all healed up for real if their sacrifice laid down a curse-canceling bridge for his soul to cross to become fully attuned with the pillar. Then Defiance's "I've Arrived!" image of Kain would fully make sense. But lacking that curse-conquering step, he's still "I've got a ways to go yet!" Kain, and this new pic of him above seems the more appropriate image.

Well that's about every possible thing I can come up with to say. Carry on. As you were.

Thanks for the compliments and feedback, everyone

Wow, a lot to reply to.

Quote Originally Posted by majinkura View Post
    so wait..your saying you had to edit the model's poly's?
    No. I meant that with the paint only, Kain's features seem to conjeal more. The higher cheek bone look fits on his model, but it looks less high if you look at the original Defiance Kain, and now his cheek area looks properly sunken, even without me able to change Kain's polygons

Ok, onto the contrast issue. First, yes, Strands, I believe it's just darker in the lighting in some areas. Game pics also always look darker than the ingame when you're playing.

To everyone: these are among the many, many reference pics I use when doing Kain and Raziel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...on/kain_06.jpg

Just pointing this out for you to compare Kain as he was in SR1 and 2, before I go and change things. He is pretty contrasty and Defiance's lighting makes it hard to gauge. If the contrast is turned down too much, then the details get washed out and he looks spray painted on, because m super detailed textures are fitting still on the polygons available. Anyway, so compare these and let me know if you still think he needs to be turned down. Maybe just a little. I can certainly play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
    Also the symbol on his cape is too thick too (it´s colour is much better though!).
    It's actually much thicker in the Intros, so I'm again a little reluctant to change it too much. Here's pics on the cape from the intros to compare. Let me know what you think:

If you can fix those, that would look astounding maybe we could merge your fixed Kain + Reaver textures with the ones we made for Raziel and Mortanius, to have an ultimate Def pack
    I'm working on Raziel right now I'll post pics of that for you to compare, too. If I have time/energy/sanity, lol, I'm thinking of working on as many as I can. I, too, would love the ultimate high def pack for Defiance, and of course, all the games. I actually got inspired to do this after I saw again the fanmade HD upgrade to Resident Evil 4 for PC, which is better than the crappy one that Capcom charged the console people for. Of course, they chanced models, too.

The Reaver´s blade part looks a hundred times better, never understood why did they make so shiny all of a sudden. Great job! However, I don´t like the skull area.. looks much cleaner in the original version. Can you fix it up? Thanks so much Hylden!
    That skull is a pain to get to show right. I agree it just needs to show a little less drastically. I don't want to lose details, but they're coming across too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by lucinvampire View Post
    Can't wait to see Raz if you have the time and want to sort him out too
    Thanks, and I'm working on that now I'll release the textures over in the Defiance Widescreen thread when I'm sure they're ready (by consensus). Then, you can play as Kain and Raz, and hopefully the rest will be in high quality then, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
    So this is what you've been up to. A jumble of reactions to the Kain contrast posted in #57--- His flag looks fresh from the factory. Impressively crisp colors. Like someone who hasn't been tackled yet and who doesn't have to ruff it out on the roads. (all true). Emperial Ego level cleanliness!
    Kain rides in style He's a king, after all. The cape looks that nice in the intros. I dulled and detailed it to that level.

The eye just starts to assess the Defiance Kain on sight, like "Okay, so he's got lines there and there, and he's wearing a real bright horseshoe in place of an athletic cup," whereas with the reworked picture my initial reaction is closer to shock, like "Oh crap, we've got some kind of creature of the night here who seems to blend with the shadows as if they were part of his substance. And not only does he look permanently embittered by his own private concerns already, but now that he's seen me I also get the impression he's deeply unconcerned with whether I live or die... "
    lol, that is the difference, entirely

I wonder if the rendering of him in Defiance was actually steered away from this type of horror visage from earlier in the series in order to make him seem more.... pondering, with those semi-retarded toothy expressions as if his face is saying "I've got more going on than just eating you, ...right? Sure, I'm a meanie, but I'm also going to give it lots of consideration before I just jump right in and eviscerate." More sympathetic looking, in other words.
    That, and I think he also looked far uglier and older by their simplification of him, oddly enough. Though the SR1/2 Kain might be more creature of the night, like you say, he's far more regal and his face stands out as still powerful, not immediately old and tired.

(A vote of support overall, in case it got confusing along the way.)
    A very well-thought out and appreciated one, at that

Wow, those are amazing. I'm glad you put up those comparision pictures because I was having trouble remembering how he looked originally in Defiance. Your Kain is just so much cooler looking. I never noticed just how much they changed him, so thanks for writing that big explanation. And I also never really noticed just how much they changed the Reaver. Also, am I imagining it or is the scar on Kain's chest still kind of there? Is it actually a part of the polygonal model, so it can't really go away? That is, that it actually goes inward into his body with the way the model is shaped, so you'll still be able to see it?

I had a strange thought, Hylden... Since youre basically repainting the entire model, you could paint it any way you like, right?

I thought a cool experiment would be to swap the "skin" of Raziel and Kain. My curiosity is peaked by the thought. And Im positive it would look absolutely strange and probably ugly, but id love to see even a half hearted attempt, just to see it.

Of course you would have to take a lot of liberites, Kains model would still have a lower jaw pained as Raz, and no wings. But damn, i cant stop thinking about it lol.

Another (more realistic) idea would be to paint Janos in a likeness of Raz. Maybe what he could have looked evolved into if not for his corrupt soul, and his damnation.

Sucks im a terrible aritst... Im pretty inspired right now

Another (more realistic) idea would be to paint Janos in a likeness of Raz. Maybe what he could have looked evolved into if not for his corrupt soul, and his damnation.
    great idea strands..i got an even better one - hylden how about modding janos's textures to be kain from the final mural in defiance,all scion-y like!!
    signature image

Thanks, Zulgbrtzchllha

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    Also, am I imagining it or is the scar on Kain's chest still kind of there? Is it actually a part of the polygonal model, so it can't really go away?
    Yup, it's part of the model, unfortunately. I was hoping it was a bump map that could be removed, but alas, no. It's only barely visible most of the time, more so, depending on the lighting situations.

Hm, it would be interesting if somehow the model for Kain when he's healed could be swapped for this one all of the time. Anyone know how to do that? That model does not have that divot of the scar on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strands Of Night View Post
    I had a strange thought, Hylden... Since youre basically repainting the entire model, you could paint it any way you like, right?

I thought a cool experiment would be to swap the "skin" of Raziel and Kain. My curiosity is peaked by the thought. And Im positive it would look absolutely strange and probably ugly, but id love to see even a half hearted attempt, just to see it.

Of course you would have to take a lot of liberites, Kains model would still have a lower jaw pained as Raz, and no wings. But damn, i cant stop thinking about it lol.

Within the boundaries of the model's shape and how the textures piece together on it, yes. Sometimes, it gets tricky. Kain's face is divided within the texture into 13 little shapes. Raziel's is less, but it's proving tricky just to get them aligned right on the model. However, I think it may be possible ... down the line.

Janos has specific clothing shaped on his model that the textures fit. The clothing itself, could be altered to anything, but he wouldn't, for instance, be able to show the naked. emaciated Raziel body. You could still show a skinned version of him under the clothing and through parts of it. It might be possible.

great idea strands..i got an even better one - hylden how about modding janos's textures to be kain from the final mural in defiance,all scion-y like!!
    To a degree, it could work. The only limits are the model, so clothing shapes, and I couldn't make his hair long in the back, or give him a crown on his head, but something could be done.

Down the line, again First, let me get to the characters as they are, which is daunting in it's own right. This would be a cool idea eventually for modded alternate skins, like our own downloadable content :P Some games get theirs on day one; ours just take a decade, or so, lol

I second Majinkura’s request, please please please Hylden (at some point) make Kain all Ancient and Scion like!

np hylden.take your time!!

btw the reaver model is a seperate entity correct?
    you can apply it to the janos mod for when you do prophesy kain.
    signature image

Well, like he's saying, if he altered Janos, it would still look like Janos, and if he altered Kain, it's not like he'd be able to add wings. Unless there's some way to take the wings from the Janos model and put them on Kain. I have no idea how easy or hard that would be though. It seems like he'd be able to alter Kain to look like the one in the mural, but he wouldn't have those wings, just the blue skin and stuff.

Yup. I don't know how to extract the models and change them. That would have to be someone else's department, until I learn how, anyway. The Reaver is a separate model, yes. I am not sure that even if the models are interchangeable, that you can mix-match them, without altering heavily the game code maybe to compensate?

Anyway ... Raziel is coming along. It's proving more difficult than I thought he'd be, but oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    Well, like he's saying, if he altered Janos, it would still look like Janos, and if he altered Kain, it's not like he'd be able to add wings. It seems like he'd be able to alter Kain to look like the one in the mural, but he wouldn't have those wings, just the blue skin and stuff.
    true...well then hylden can you just edit the kain model to look like the prophesy mural sans wings?
    signature image

Hmmm. I wonder what it would look like if you swapped the Soul Reaver and Blood Reaver textures.

You mean the Bone Reaver?

I'll give it a go eventually, maginkura

In order to test out if things on Raziel look propper, or not, I remove the cloak information in his texture to see him. This lets me see if the head with the new and improved teeth and detail is working, or not, along with the body. The upper portion of the body only pops into being when Raziel feeds, lol, so you get this floating head otherwise

(click image to enlarge)

A very cool, yet very amusing happenstance (Bear in mind, this is not complete, so no need to tell me it's too dark and stuff yet )

very impressive...you're so talented and creative...great job with the painting... Kain's face looks great ....
    btw ...can you do that to the rest of the character's faces ...if you do that it would be great material for making some wonderfull LOK avatars...

can't wait to see more of you're work...

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast