Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kain's Lament: Fan Art

Kain's Lament: Fan Art

So, I've been working on this for the past couple of weeks and it's finally complete.

I was inspired by seeing again that painting by Daniel Cabuco, where Kain is holding Raziel's clan banner. I decided to go all out and show Kain after ripping down the actual banner in the Sanctuary of Clans, doing all I could to accurately portray how the chamber looked in Soul Reaver 1. That meant watching the opening Full Motion Video lots of times, going over pics, and also taking note of the chamber from as many angles as possible. I wanted to make it as accurate as I could to the FMV, but some liberties I did take. The in game chamber has a far less tall upper balcony than what appears to be in the FMV. Also, there are rings and rings up there, but I don't see the same pattern. SR1's in game has a couple of symbols from the Pillar dais repeating in segments. It looks better that way, so I elaborated on that and increased the symbols, just making it one ring up there like it is in the game before you get to the balcony. The only other change I made was to make Zephon's clan banner gray, also like it is in the game (and later confirmed the Sarafan color was the same for him also in SR2). These minor changes aside, it's basically a recreation of Kain's throne room as seen in the FMV.

The angle is the only main difference. You'll never see it form this angle in the FMV, yet it had to be here for how I wanted Kain and the Lieutenants depicted. Raziel's clan banner is to this side, so I needed to use the in game scene to get a feel for it, after I drew the basic layout from my head. I did the same basic method when drawing first Kain, then the Lieutenants. I drew them as I wanted them in a rough sketch, then got various angles for detail and accuracy. All of this is freehand, though. No tracing, or other crap. This is painted from start to finish in Photoshop only.

Oh, and I drew the Lieutenants at full scale, one at a time (save the trio of Turel and Dumah carrying poor Raziel). Later on, I'll composite them by themselves to show them off, as I am happy with how they all turned out as well.

Anyway, here it is:

(click image to enlarge)

I titled it Kain's Lament, as in this moment in time, Kain, back turned to his vampire sons, ponders his own actions; his thoughts his and his alone to know.

This is the first time I've been able to do a fan painting of Kain, or of LoK, with a wacom tablet. I used to have only a mouse and it's just not possible to draw and paint like this with a mouse (at least, not for me, it isn't). This is, by far, the most complex and involved painting I've done. If I were to be using a mouse, I'd still be painting Kain's face

Thank goodness for this wacom. I should have bought this years and years ago...

Edit: Minor touch-ups.

His face is saying "I've killed my son AND I'm a Non-player Character now!"
    It's a fine Kain.

Has there ever been an auctioning of Legacy art as part of comiccon or similar events? There's probably dozens of Reaver swords of varying quality floating around out there with a micro-market of motivated buyers who'd also be tempted by Lament. Maybe more realistically if it was an online auction, such items may find a happy home. I've sometimes wondered if expanded underworld scenes wouldn't make for a nice series of paintings using Soul Reaver's dark alien landscapes and embellishing them with otherworldly lighting. I wouldn't mind a Sistine Chapel sized collage of that.

Oh. My. God. You sir are extremely talented!! I can't believe what I'm looking at! Good show!

Oh, and I can't wait to see what you did with the lieutenants
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

omg this is wonderful!!

Hylden i didn't realize how well of an artist you are.

do you have a deviant art page?

Thanks, fellow Kain enthusiasts lol

Squid: I have no idea bout auctions and stuff. Getting paid sure would be nice, certainly, but for right now I am just happy with the moment of completing this work for myself (that feeling like it has to be made), and for others. I am glad others like it, too.

majinkura, you know, I have two accounts made back in the years gone by... Two, because I forgot I made the first one, and I haven't used either since I made them. I might resurrect one and put this and other work up.

RR: I'll work on that composite of them tonight.

Edit: Ok, here are the Lieutenants in all of their glory (originally, I was going to composite them in one piece, but that would mean shrinking them. Might as well give them their due in close to the full size I made them, like Kain). From right to left on the pain painting:

(click image to enlarge)

Melchiah, and yes he's holding the oh-so-swiftly-and horribly torn out wing bones of Raziel's. This is before adding to the main composite, and so he's colored naturally (as are the rest) without the light of the Sanctuary ceiling hitting him. Raziel's wing bones, being torn through the thin flesh and skin, ligaments and all, I felt would need to have shreds of all of that remaining material hanging from them, along with the blood (of course! ). Especially the main flat bone on each that attached to his back, as that would have torn a huge area of flesh and skin. Poor Raziel

You can't see clearly Mel's body in the FMV to see if the skin stitching continues down it, save for a little possible line, or two, on his chest and on his shoulders, which corroborates Boyd Lake's up close of him that I used for the face also. So, I surmized what a little more down his body would look like. You can see the pudge he has in the FMV, so that's there. His skin seems to hang off the neck and belly. His skin is a little more dead-like than the others.

(click image to enlarge)

Zephon, who as I said I colored his banner and arm wrappings/gloves gray, instead of the dark green in the FMV, to match the in game of SR1 and confirmed SR2 color of his uniform. He's at the edge of the main steps of the Pillar dais, stepping off onto the first step in the main painting, to explain why he's posed like that. He's turned to view what Kain is doing. There's not much to go off of regarding his face from the FMV, and no picture by Boyd Lake exists. From the one angle in the beginning of the FMV, you can get a slight glimpse of him (also shown on Dark Chronicle under his name), where he's in stark light and shadow. It's enough to get detail of his nose, mouth and the stark ridge of his eye brows and forehead slope, lol. I also had the SR2 mural in my memory. He's kind of like a more evil-looking Joker.

(click image to enlarge)

Rahab. His face at this angle is never seen, but I tried to make it accurate with the construct of it in the FMV and the Boyd Lake up close shot. His skin is a bit scaly, hinted at here, but not emphasized overtly. Light cool color to his skin. In the main painting, he's bathed in the defused shadow lavender light over by his brothers, Turel and Dumah, carrying Raziel near the doors. He's turned also to see what Kain is doing back there, still a bit shocking what's happened.

(click image to enlarge)

Raziel, knocked out and carried off by Turel and Dumah. This angle is the one from the FMV before Kain tells them to "Cast him in." It's a little different, though. I didn't want to just recreate that, but it's mostly that. In the painting, they aren't looking back at Kain, due to being too far away and the moment of Kain ripping down Raziel's banner being too quick to even spark their attention, were they to hear it.

So, there you have it.

i wanna see more work from you!

Oh hoooo! I love how the flag is depicted in movement of being torn down - it is so dynamic. and Kain, whoa.. I like his expression. Hylden, that is perfect.. I have tried to do something in PS too.. but damn, it is kinda hard to use and know where all the stuff is.. :/ I guess I am good only for simple Paint xDD

Thanks, ladies.

I'm adding stuff to the one DA account I could get back into. Jeez, I've had that thing for SIX YEARS. lol, and done nothing with it...

Anyway, I added this stuff and will try and add more as I go. I'm a bit tired from typing out descriptions, however... I like being thorough, but I also get tired of typing so much (if you can believe it! ) and am lazy in that regard sometimes...

And Raina, thanks. I feel your pain about Kain, also. He's, quite frankly, the hardest being to draw accurately I think that exists... And I don't just mean the cracks and getting them right. If his expression is off, color, posture (but mostly the face) just one tiny variance isn't right, well, he just doesn't look feel like Kain. When I only had a mouse to draw with, I used my own face to paint over a couple of times, simply to give me a better starting point. It was rough, those attempts... I also did a drawing I submitted long ago of Kain and Raziel, from a sketchpad I had. It was some Halloween contest on here. Man, that was really not all that great. I love digital, because you don't feel like you're stuck with the off postures and expressions. My Kain looked more like a comic book face and it was really meh...

Anyway, all of that's in the past

Oh, here's my Deviant Art link:

http://thehylden.deviantart.com/

Seeing the first two drawings, I think I just had a heart attack.
    Yes, I'm the same Viperic Vampire from YouTube, deviantART, Legacy of Kain: Prodigal Sons and my own website!

my sentiments exactly Viper.

added you as a friend Hylden!

Simply amazing! All of it!!
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

Thanks again

And it's not my intention to inflict harm! lol Reminds me of that joke that caused anyone to read it aloud to die of a heart attack (Monty Python sketch ).

Someone actually did die of a heart attack watching one of their films. (I think it was holy grail, not sure). His wife wrote to John Cleese to thank him (!)
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

You've got quite the talent Hylden. These pictures are very well done. Hope to see more.
    I am everywhere...and nowhere. I am everything...and nothing. I am...fear itself!

Thanks, RoC And that's crazy, dm. Wonder if she was just hopeful to get his money, or if he was a jerk to her, or she's just a sadistic old bat lol

Updating this thread with my latest piece. This is request from majinkura from weeks ago that I finally was able to finish:

(click image to enlarge)

Also, you can view it and fav it, if you wish, here on my DA page:

http://thehylden.deviantart.com/#/d46kwg0

From the description I made there:

So, this was a request by a fellow Legacy of Kain fan, MajinKura. She wanted Kain and Raziel either back to back, or side by side, in the same realm as they appear in one of the Defiance promotional art pieces, but working together instead of being distrustful of one another. So, they're working together, as she suggested, facing off a horde of enemies.

I originally wanted to make this a quicker piece, drawn and painted a bit looser than I usually do, but then I kept making it more complex with the details and well, that didn't happen. Also, I've been trying to fit this in when I am not working, so it's taken instead of the short period I wanted it to, weeks to complete. Ah well. I think it's better for it.

Something to note: this scene is just an artistic piece, and would never happen in the games. Kain's got the Soul Reaver, standing next to Raziel, who's got his Wraith Blade out, so them standing there without ripping the time continuum apart would be impossible. This is a fun piece set kind of in maybe some purgatory dimension where anything can happen.

I threw in some Sarafan, most like they appeared in Soul Reaver 2, because I liked that design far better than in Defiance. I made their helmet more like Blood Omen, though, for the same reason. The Fire Demon is kind of a melding of how they appear in both SR2 and Blood Omen. I miss the imposing nature of them from Blood Omen and their four arms. Much more dynamic that way, imo. I'll let people guess as to the rest of what's going on in this piece, oh and where we are. It's not the Pillars, but it does appear in one of the games *hint* Painted in Photoshop.

It's a good old fashioned fracas! The kind you don't get to see on Bravo. It looks like a Chuck Norris Tuesday afternoon.

But where! uh, standing at the center of the time machine room maybe, where they'd get that nice health refill, because of....due to the.... energy of the device being... centered there. Yeah.

No, the wall in the background is ribbed for the demons' pleasure, so it must be their thunderdome from Defiance's Hash pit. Or not.

But if the god is also there..... the only place with that many thugs is.... no, it couldn't be.... is it Cleveland?

squiddy..you make the most strangest comments!

"are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

These are some really incredible pieces The Hylden; seriously atmospheric. They rock. Praise and kudos to you.

Some very nice artwork there Hylden - so good I wouldn't be surprised if in a short time I got people submitting these to the wiki as'official' without even realising

Mind if i get the first guess at the location of the last one? - I reckon (based on the pillars and the floor design) that it is 'Kain's Headquarters' from the BO2 intro.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

Thanks, Squid, Corlagon, Bazielim . I agree that Squid never makes it dull around here Alas, both you and Bazielim are incorrect as to where Kain and Raziel are. To be fair, some of the hints that could make it easier are being covered up by all of the enemies.

Edit: Also, for those whom may be so inclined, I've made a desktop version of this as well, at 1920x1080.

(click image to enlarge)

I thank you again Hylden for making another masterpiece!

I can't express how much i love how you draw kain's face and expressions!

^_______^
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

Thanks, majinkura. I'm happy you like it so much.

Whoa! How come I had never stumbled upon this thread? Splendid, Hylden!
    "Hope."

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast