Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guardian of Light - first playthrough

Guardian of Light - first playthrough

Downloaded and installed the game this morning and fired it up. First impressions after playing the first level, Temple of Light, were that the controls were a bit clumsy but as I played through the level they got easier.

The tombs and the ambiance are excellent but I'm finding the battles detract from that essential Tomb Raider feeling of being lost in huge levels. The isometric view also takes a bit of getting used to as well.

All in all I'm enjoying the game, I'm glad I downloaded it, and I'm looking forward to the next level very much. Here are three screenshots from Temple of Light which will be part of the GoL screenshot collection at skribblerz.com.

Hey George!

Glad you're enjoying the game!
    The first level is a kind of introduction, it gets way more interesting as you proceed forward.
    Although it's just an arcade game with Lara Croft, I think it has got a lot of Tomb Raider aspects.
    I got much more than I expected!

P.S. The screenshots look nice!

Hi Chris, yes, I'm enjoying it very much. My favourite parts so far are these red lantern areas which very much have the real TR feel about them - quiet ambient background loop playing while you figure out the puzzles and enjoy the Tombs. I guess you've finished it already? I'll start level 2 this evening

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMaciver View Post
    Hi Chris, yes, I'm enjoying it very much. My favourite parts so far are these red lantern areas which very much have the real TR feel about them - quiet ambient background loop playing while you figure out the puzzles and enjoy the Tombs. I guess you've finished it already? I'll start level 2 this evening
    Oh yes, the challenge tombs! I like them a lot. Some puzzles are quite cool, but they could still be a little bit more challenging. However, I admire the work CD has done!

I did finish the game last week, but I still need to unlock some guns, relics and artefacts.
    The replay value in this game is unbelievable!
    Good luck with the game and challenges that await you!

Level 2 - Temple Grounds

I'm starting to get into this thing now. The controls are becoming more fluent, the puzzles and exploration factors have kicked in, and I'm really enjoying it. Just opened the doors to the Spider Temple and can't wait to get inside this evening, Brilliant stuff.

Spider Tomb is one of my favourite levels. The verticality of this level makes it really cool. Apart from that, I enjoy frying spiders with a flame-thrower.
    Here's one of my screenshots:

How come the red mouse cursor is invisible in your screenshots?
    I hope you'll use some of your shots in the upcoming screenshot competition. Lately, it has been suffering from the lack of participants.

Heh, I used Photoshop to clone them out. I used to enjoy the screenshot competition but unfortunately, I didn't enjoy winning as I didn't have time to coordinate the next competition I think the screenshot competition would be more popular if someone (or the same team) oversaw it every week and the winner instead got a special siggie avatar or something to 'wear' for a week

That sounds like a good idea. It would be cool if the winner's member status changed for a week into something like "screenshot competition winner". However, I guess that would involve an action of a moderator and I don't think any of them will agree.
    I will try to think of something. Thanks for the idea and good luck in the spider tomb.

Aaa, spider tomb... one of my favorite levels, too. I love killing them with my favorite weapons, the chaingun, oh yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelus0901 View Post
    Aaa, spider tomb... one of my favorite levels, too. I love killing them with my favorite weapons, the chaingun, oh yeah!!
    Chaingun ROCKS!!! It suits Lara, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    Chaingun ROCKS!!! It suits Lara, doesn't it?
    It totally does... I freakin' love when Lara powers up and starts shooting - pure art and fireworks...

What combination of relics and artifacts do you use, Chris? I use:

It actually depends. I still didn't get the Xolotl's Mask.
    I hate time trails. When I'm in a hurry I'm able to mess up the easiest challenge.

If I want the game to be more challenging I pick the hardest mode and choose the weakest artefacts and relics. It makes it much more fun.

...I hate time trails...
    Me too!! When i finished the game and decided to collect what I was missing, the first thing i did was completing the time trials cause I really hate them!! It's no fun playing the game so fast... I love checking every corner of a level to find every diamond, ammo or health...

I love checking every corner of a level to find every diamond, ammo or health...
    So do I! Too bad we won't be able to play co-op together.
    We would create an excellent partnership!

Too bad we won't be able to play co-op together.
    We would create an excellent partnership!
    Yeah, that sucks!! Maybe I'll buy the game for PC, too...

Sounds like a plan.
    I hope CD will take enough time to polish everything for the online patch. It would suck if the online co-op was full of glitches.

Level 3 - Spider Tomb

I'm totally hooked now, this thing is amazing

Hi Im glad ur enjoying the game aswell because when I played it it was brilliant. x

Level 4 - The Summoning

I think it's brilliant too Hoody. Absolutely stunning cutscenes and location and brilliantly exectued Boss level. My only gripe is not getting to run around to explore the level in peace after killing the T Rex

Level 5 - Forgotten Gate

Amazing puzzle level. The only thing I didn't like about this level was that it was too short. Was just getting settled into my seat for a good long Raid when it was suddenly all over. Brilliant stuff.

Get ready for my favourite level, Toxic Swamp!
    It reminds me of Souther Mexico from Underworld.

Level 6 - Toxic Swamp

Hi Chriss, I can see why you enjoyed this level! This could easily have been 4 times bigger and kept us on the edge of our seats for the entire duration. It seems a bit of a shame that such ingeniously devised levels with such amazing puzzles and environments and lighting and texturing and objects aren't used to more effect. Good job guys but have a chin wag about making the levels a little longer eh

Don't worry George, more levels and challenges are coming up in the DLC!
    Hopefully, they will be available for all of us.

Ah, Toxic Swamp! Absolutely love it!!!!

One of my favorite levels!!

But I got to say, my favorite level is Flooded Passage.

Me too!! When i finished the game and decided to collect what I was missing, the first thing i did was completing the time trials cause I really hate them!! It's no fun playing the game so fast... I love checking every corner of a level to find every diamond, ammo or health...
    Did you guys get the score challenge done for the
    and if so, how did you do it? My friend and I had to spend quite a bit of time to get the gold on this one.

It's interesting too, I was happily surprised to find that the level of replay value in this game shot up by a lot when you consider there are time/score/item/monster challenges in each level. It would probably be impossible to complete them all in one playthrough (by that I mean on the first run-through of any given level).

I would be very interested to see if anyone has managed to do it though.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast