Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Eurogamer - Best Quality demo so far. It's nothing new but here it is...

Eurogamer - Best Quality demo so far. It's nothing new but here it is...

Eurogamer - Best Quality demo so far. It's nothing new but here it is...

Amature footage, but at least this time you can actually see whats going on (without tweaking your display). The sound is touch and go and it's nothing new but you can see it all here...

http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/01/euro...es-of-footage/
    Play games for the story

This was posted in the other EG thread. But you're right, it's probably the best so far... especially for the social half of the demo.

There are something like five different recordings of the E3 demo at PAX alone. Just do a YouTube search, and you'll find some decent quality footage with plenty of light to see what's going on.
    signature image

Looks pretty good actually.

I'm now excited to play this.
    I stared a century thinking this will never change
    As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me

It's probably some dude with a hat pretending to 'play' the previous gameplay footage.

(click image to enlarge)

Some interesting new impressions (keypad etc) and overall it's nice enough but I still think the action sequence with the robot is really dumb:
    1) the robot breaks through the roof and hits Adam with several bullets from his turret guns but it has no effect on him. WTH?
    2) Adam takes cover behind some crates and the robot continues shooting his turret gun at it and launches an salvo of missiles in that direction -> they hit the crates but none of that seems to have any effect whatsoever on them, they are unbreakable.
    3) Adam swings from cover to cover while the robot keeps shooting at him. There's a special type of wooden crates that gets shot to pieces when it's hit by bullets, none of them seems necessary for maintaining the cover because they are just put on top of the unbreakable ones, for added dramatic effect.
    4) Adam gets hit again, again without any noticable effect (except maybe a little grunt). Then he spots a rocket launcher that someone conveniently forgot on the floor in that storage. Now that is what gets me every time. It is so oldschool-arcady that it is able to singlehandedly destroy the faith in the entire game for me.

The game demo had buffed health,doh.

The Adam in the demo is in god mode: infinite bullets, infinite energy, infinite health.
    Crap Augmentation: The 6th finger, nice mobile appendage that help in weapon handling and reloading.

I thought it was cool how one of the gaurds called for back up and a chopper drops the boxguard through the roof.

Maybe if stealth was used all the way and all the guards dead without raising the alarm,there would be no robot fight.

How about starting a fire fight in the beginning of the level?Maybe one of the guards can call in a boxguard to be dropped off outside the warehouse.

Like I said: what really gets me is the rocket launcher. Sure, its possible that it's been put there only for the demo but I doubt that and what is the point of a demo, if it doesn't represent the actual game design virtues.

Originally Posted by -=fox=-
    launches an salvo of missiles in that direction -> they hit the crates but have none of that seems to have any effect whatsoever on them, they are unbreakable.
    Wow, did the crates have buffed health too?

Oh no silly me, they are a part of the cover system - cant have that breaking can we, what would we do!?

Nope

They can only break by the swing of a crowbar.

Some interesting new impressions (keypad etc) and overall it's nice enough but I still think the action sequence with the robot is really dumb:
    1) the robot breaks through the roof and hits Adam with several bullets from his turret guns but it has no effect on him. WTH?
    God mode
    2) Adam takes cover behind some crates and the robot continues shooting his turret gun at it and launches an salvo of missiles in that direction -> they hit the crates but none of that seems to have any effect whatsoever on them, they are unbreakable.
    This is valid, theres no real excuse for this except the crates are strengthened because they are carrying high value stuff, even then they should be blown about
    3) Adam swings from cover to cover while the robot keeps shooting at him. There's a special type of wooden crates that gets shot to pieces when it's hit by bullets, none of them seems necessary for maintaining the cover because they are just put on top of the unbreakable ones, for added dramatic effect.
    Better than having 3 hip-high walls I guess, but like I said it would be better if they made them at least moveable
    4) Adam gets hit again, again without any noticable effect (except maybe a little grunt). Then he spots a rocket launcher that someone conveniently forgot on the floor in that storage.
    Its a presentation demo, they do this all the time Now that is what gets me every time. It is so oldschool-arcady that it is able to singlehandedly destroy the faith in the entire game for me. DX wasn't realistic
    EM need throw out some new footage soon of a build closer to the current one. Don't be all "this game sucks" purely from one piece of pre-alpha footage.

-=fox=-, I'm with you on the boxes thing; it's really weird that only the wooden crates can blow up, but all the cardboard just absorbs bullets and explosions.

All of your other complaints are just ridiculous though... and some are lies.
    Firstly, he has GodMode on. You know he has GodMode on. How is it you don't understand what this means?
    Adam gets hit again, again without any noticable effect (except maybe a little grunt).
    He has GodMode on. And even with GodMode on, the screen goes Red when bullets hit him. This is more than a grunt.

Now, the whole idea of showing the audience Adam struggling with the Boxguard was to illustrate that you need the right weapon for the right job. So he's rolling around, getting shot up, and not doing so well. But then he finds the rocket launcher, and takes the machine out.
    It's basically a demonstration of what NOT to do. They even tell you ammo is something you'll need to manage in the game. So going at it with the assault riffle with GodMode and unlimited ammo, and STILL not making much headway, is a very helpful stage in the demonstration.

Also, I'd like to point out how fast those miniguns fire, and how startlingly quick the screen flashed Red. Without GodMode, he would have died half a dozen times by the end.
    signature image

I hope that bot is MUCH harder ingame...umm..anyone know how advanced the A.I is suppossed to be in this game? The npcs seemed to just pick-a-boo and work individually without any signs of teamwork. Perhaps Im just expecting too much...

Could need some quick melee attack button. Busting thru small obstacles and windows with gunfire is a bit...meh..well it works sometimes.

It's not uncommon to turn on h4x in these stage demos.
    I stared a century thinking this will never change
    As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me

Originally Posted by KSingh77
    I thought it was cool how one of the gaurds called for back up and a chopper drops the boxguard through the roof.

Maybe if stealth was used all the way and all the guards dead without raising the alarm,there would be no robot fight.

How about starting a fire fight in the beginning of the level?Maybe one of the guards can call in a boxguard to be dropped off outside the warehouse.
    The answer to your first question is Yes. If you watch the PAX footage, Mary makes mention that if Adam had stayed stealthy the whole way, the Boxguard would not have been called in at all.

As for your second musing... there is reason to believe the Boxguard could show up earlier, as it is seen in this photo, which is taken at far right of the docks, before the warehouse.
    You can actually see this location outside the window of the shed where Adam picks up the explosives.

signature image

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    As for your second musing... there is reason to believe the Boxguard could show up earlier, as it is seen in this photo, which is taken at far right of the docks, before the warehouse.
    You can actually see this location outside the window of the shed where Adam picks up the explosives.
    Realized that while watching the EG video. Loving all the possible outcomes

Originally Posted by PillsAgainstOrders
    I hope that bot is MUCH harder ingame...umm..anyone know how advanced the A.I is suppossed to be in this game? The npcs seemed to just pick-a-boo and work individually without any signs of teamwork. Perhaps Im just expecting too much...
    You must remember that a good number of them died in the Claymore blast. So any of the Leaders were most likely dead before a single shot was fired. But even in the chaos, someone did have the presence of mind to throw a flashbang.

One of these sorry souls could have been the leader.

signature image

http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/dx3-screenshot2.jpg
    I wouldn't read too much into that particular shot. It's the most obviously posed and photoshopped of all the promo shots so far.

All of your other complaints are just ridiculous though... and some are lies.
    Firstly, he has GodMode on. You know he has GodMode on. How is it you don't understand what this means?

He has GodMode on. And even with GodMode on, the screen goes Red when bullets hit him. This is more than a grunt.
    Yeah, yeah... he has god mode on and yeah the screen goes redish, I get it, point taken! Now, after all the dreaded health regen-debates from the past, wouldn't it be time to show us how the real game works in that regard?
    Now, the whole idea of showing the audience Adam struggling with the Boxguard was to illustrate that you need the right weapon for the right job. So he's rolling around, getting shot up, and not doing so well. But then he finds the rocket launcher, and takes the machine out.
    It's basically a demonstration of what NOT to do. They even tell you ammo is something you'll need to manage in the game. So going at it with the assault riffle with GodMode and unlimited ammo, and STILL not making much headway, is a very helpful stage in the demonstration.
    First of all they say that it's supposed to be a chunk from the real game and not a demo that was created just for the sake of a presentation.
    Finding a rocket launcher and a box of ammo next to it in the middle of a gunfight is just plain dumb, no matter how you look at it. If you want to show how to do it and how not to do it you better make that clear instead of resorting to mindnumbing arcade game cliches.

Also, I'd like to point out how fast those miniguns fire, and how startlingly quick the screen flashed Red. Without GodMode, he would have died half a dozen times by the end.
    What makes you so sure about that?

Originally Posted by KSingh77

Yep. Mary made a point to say this during our PAX demonstrations.

Edit: Doh. Pinky beat me to it. Nice work.

First of all they say that it's supposed to be a chunk from the real game and not a demo that was created just for the sake of a presentation.
    Finding a rocket launcher and a box of ammo next to it in the middle of a gunfight is just plain dumb, no matter how you look at it. If you want to show how to do it and how not to do it you better make that clear instead of resorting to mindnumbing arcade game cliches.
    You seem to be neglegant to what a demo is supposed to do. Show you an early build of the game, whether it be from the final product or not, and show why your game is awesome. The demos for Half-Life had nothing to do with the final product and they were far more action oriented then the first hour or two of the game.

Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    I wouldn't read too much into that particular shot. It's the most obviously posed and photoshopped of all the promo shots so far.
    I agree, it looks very, very posed. But we've been sworn to that no shot has been touched up in post. So unless we have evidence to the contrary, it's just profound petulance to call them liars.

Yeah, yeah... he has god mode on and yeah the screen goes redish, I get it, point taken! Now, after all the dreaded health regen-debates from the past, wouldn't it be time to show us how the real game works in that regard?
    I agree with everything you said.

...except for this notion that EM promised us the E3 demo is 100% unaltered, final game. I can remember no such promise, or even suggestion, from anybody at Eidos Montréal.

All I can remember them saying is that the demo takes place 6 hours into the game. And that it is a pre-alpha build. It's possible that it's unaltered, but based on what we've been told, there's just as much room to believe it is set up for some showy clichés.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Facebyface
    You seem to be neglegant to what a demo is supposed to do. Show you an early build of the game, whether it be from the final product or not, and show why your game is awesome. The demos for Half-Life had nothing to do with the final product and they were far more action oriented then the first hour or two of the game.
    So, why not make a demo full of barely clothed people with augmented breasts, big guns and lots of explosions then? If that is the idea of a demo, then I am indeed neglegant of it but fortunately that's not the case and EM actually succeeded in other parts of their demo.

So, why not make a demo full of barely clothed people with augmented breasts, big guns and lots of explosions then? If that is the idea of a demo, then I am indeed neglegant of it but fortunately that's not the case and EM actually succeeded in other parts of their demo.
    Okay, I over exaggerated a bit. It has to fit in the tone of the actual game, you can't lie to people, but it doesn't have to be an actual sequence. Trailers do this all the time even if they are indeed what you will see in game. The highlights of what the game is trying to advocate will be prominently shown to the fullest. Besides, not all of use just like explosions and stuff. I am a personal fan of tense battles instead of just S-M-UPS.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last