Thread: PSM3 Confirm Arkham City Multiplayer

PSM3 Confirm Arkham City Multiplayer

Originally Posted by Rebreather#62
    offline co-op would be heavenly. Give me some smaller co-op missions like Uncharted 2 (except offline and with splitscreen) and co-op Challenge maps and I ready to go. Throw in Dick and Robin and I'm done forever : Offline co-op is a must, don't give me that "You need two TVs, two systems, and two games crap" to play with someone in the same room. Online is great, but not at the expense of offline.
    I couldn't agree more about the offline co-op thing. My friend doesn't have a PS3, and he hardly ever plays on LIVE so the only "multiplayer" gaming we do is when he's over at my house sitting on my couch. Offline multiplayer unfortunately is something that most game developers feel like we do not need anymore. The day that everything becomes online multiplayer is probably the day that I stop playing games. All I have to do is think back to the days of the PS2 and N64 when everything everything was offline multiplayer. Now it's like the rarest occasion that it's offline. Usually it's the crap "1 player per TV per system"..."Wanna play multiplayer in your house? All you need to do is spend $1000 more so each person can have their own system, and their own TV in the house! It's so affordable! "

Split-screen is the other thing that peeves me. Why is it such a hard concept to split the screen into 2 parts to allow another player to game with me? Seems like all the good games lately have been ON-LINE co-op but not offline. Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2, etc. Online co-op is insulting because it encourages people to disconnect from one another so they can connect over the Internet. Lame.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Agree with Nemesis. The lack of offline/split-screen multiplayer this generation pisses me off immensely. There's absolutely no excuse for not including it in some games. I can understand for example Red Dead, GTA, Saints Row or Crackdown not supporting offline, seeing as they're open world, and having to render the world twice would be a huge strain on the console.

But games like Uncharted 2, the Skate games, Serious Sam HD (even though the original supported split-screen ), Dead Rising 2 when it's released, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. These are just a few games that should support split-screen, but don't in favour of f***ing online! Don't get me wrong, online is great, but I don't want it at the expense of offline play.

There's loads of games I'd like to play with my brother but we can't because I'm not willing to fork out for whole new bloody console and another copy of each game we want to play. Screw the developers who couldn't give a monkey's anus for offline play. There's no excuse. The biggest titles in gaming all support split-screen: Halo, Gears of War and Call of sodding Duty. The PS2 and N64 could all manage split-screen. It's definitely not a technical issue. The consoles can do it. Devs are just too focused on online these days and forget about offline play.

I guarantee you, many people's fondest memory of their N64 was 4-player split-screen Goldeneye, playing it on a crappy 17" CRT TV. That's true multiplayer right there! Now we've got bloody 32" (and a lot bigger) LCD High Definition TVs. It's more than adequate for split-screen play. Split-screen should be becoming MORE frequently used now that TV's are becoming better suited for it!

Rocksteady - hear our cries! INCLUDE BLEEDIN' SPLIT-SCREEN!!

Originally Posted by JD_Method
    Agree with Nemesis. The lack of offline/split-screen multiplayer this generation pisses me off immensely. There's absolutely no excuse for not including it in some games. I can understand for example Red Dead, GTA, Saints Row or Crackdown not supporting offline, seeing as they're open world, and having to render the world twice would be a huge strain on the console.

But games like Uncharted 2, the Skate games, Serious Sam HD (even though the original supported split-screen ), Dead Rising 2 when it's released, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. These are just a few games that should support split-screen, but don't in favour of f***ing online! Don't get me wrong, online is great, but I don't want it at the expense of offline play.

There's loads of games I'd like to play with my brother but we can't because I'm not willing to fork out for whole new bloody console and another copy of each game we want to play. Screw the developers who couldn't give a monkey's anus for offline play. There's no excuse. The biggest titles in gaming all support split-screen: Halo, Gears of War and Call of sodding Duty. The PS2 and N64 could all manage split-screen. It's definitely not a technical issue. The consoles can do it. Devs are just too focused on online these days and forget about offline play.

I guarantee you, many people's fondest memory of their N64 was 4-player split-screen Goldeneye, playing it on a crappy 17" CRT TV. That's true multiplayer right there! Now we've got bloody 32" (and a lot bigger) LCD High Definition TVs. It's more than adequate for split-screen play. Split-screen should be becoming MORE frequently used now that TV's are becoming better suited for it!

Quoted for truth.

I am the exact same situation, no joke. Me and my brother are heavy PS3 addicts but we aren't even allowed to play online (according to the folks, as protection against the net pervs...) and so we're always tracking down co-op games.

Arkham City as splitscreen would be a dream come true.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....nostalgia. Have you ever had the instant comparison scenario? Play a game on a 50" TV, and then move to a 20" TV with 4-player split screen You'll never want to play on that small TV again!

I totally hear ya though about how we have larger TVs, you think that they would give us split screen all the time. Hell, my 46" TV split into 4 pieces is like having your own 20" TV for each player!

I do understand however the *need* (oh boy I said it) for online multiplayer. People half-way across the country wouldn't be able to play together if it weren't for online multiplayer. Just seems like the focus has shifted to the assumption that everyone likes to chat with their cousin in Texas while on the couch in NYC. Game developers apparently don't ever have friends over to play games otherwise I feel like this whole issue with missing split-screen would never have come up.

Oh, and by the way, the concept of leaving split-screen out of the picture for "open-world" games has absolutely 0 bearing. Play the Toy Story 3 video game's Toy Box mode and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about. Offline split-screen in an open-world fashion where either character can go wherever they want and customize anything while the other player does whatever they want with the exception of leaving an area. Pixar movie quality graphics and no lag or tearing to speak of either. I think for some reason game companies feel like the feature wouldn't be used by anyone, so they leave it out.

I think Transformers: War for Cyberton is another example of a really poor multiplayer/co-op experience. Thank god Eidos hasn't totally lost their minds yet....Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light has excellent offline co-op (though it's not split-screen, but it doesn't really need it)

I'm rambling. How tough could it possibly be to have split-screen Batman? (since we are going with the notion that mutiplayer/co-op will be happening here) If it's online-only, I'll probably never get to experience it because my friends don't own the console I use...they mooch off me for couch play which I don't mind one bit
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Originally Posted by thedarknight2016
    I could not have worded this better.Snatched it right out of my mouth.
    Thanks. I guess when I make statements like that everybody is quick to jump on the "he has no friends" bandwagon.

Look ppl, I have friends. I play Borderlands and GOW2 all the time with them. But not ALL of my friends game and not ALL my friends play the same games I do. In fact, the friends I do game with haven't even played B:AA yet. So, whether it's multiplayer or co-op, it doesn't really help me out. I HATE AI controlled partners (see RE5).

It's just my opinion and it's a game I feel should not have mulitplayer. Here's a quick list of other games I think should not have multiplayer:

1. Bioshock 2
    2. Dead Space 2
    3. Assassins Creed:Brotherhood

Anyone can explain this to me?
    Use new detective mode to discover a thugs super villain boss

I'm thrilled to see where Rocksteady takes this. They already have experience with multiplayer from their debut game on last-gen consoles, so I think that they're prepared to deal with the challenges. One of my main issues with the first game was a lack of compelling replay value, and if they fashion a type of multiplayer that complements the SP by taking some of its best elements and allowing you to participate in Batman-themed matches with friends, then I'm in.

Originally Posted by Scarecrow007
    Anyone can explain this to me?
    I believe they're referencing what was mentioned in the GI article. If you throw on detective vision, some thugs will show up a specific color (e.g. Riddler thugs will show up green). That way you can interrogate them to learn more information about their leader - like a clue about their location, intentions, etc.

Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to mean.
    The World's Second Greatest Detective

Originally Posted by Nemesis296
    Offline split-screen in an open-world fashion where either character can go wherever they want and customize anything while the other player does whatever they want with the exception of leaving an area.
    I think that's kind of the problem the developers face when it comes to open-world games though. They probably don't want to restrict the players to be within a certain range of each other all the time, so they just leave out split-screen and run with system link and online instead.

I'm not against the idea. I'd still love split-screen in Red Dead, Saints Row etc. even if it did mean 'tethering' the players together, but I can understand why they'd choose to leave it out.

Apparently, this month's issue of PSM3 went on sale today. Anyone planning on purchasing it for scans?

I'm quoting this for the simple reason of truth for me. I remember being in middle school each morning before walking to school, I'd go over to my neighbors and we'd play Goldeneye on the N64. It was good times. I still favour offline split screen challenge maps with different characters. Either way I have some faith in that they'll do it alright since I mean, Look at how they made the last game and turning this one out to be.

the magazine hints at co-op, so im content its not multiplayer...as far as we know
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

Originally Posted by Batman The Trailer Hunter
    the magazine hints at co-op, so im content its not multiplayer...as far as we know
    Co-op is multiplayer...
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    Co-op is multiplayer...
    Exactly. I posted this at the bottom of the last page too.

Mutliplayer = multiple players, therefore co-op is multiplayer.

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    Co-op is multiplayer...

i ment as in co-op allows players to work together as teammates with the absence of player-controlled competitors normally 2 people whereas multiplayer spans to 2 or more players, i was referring to style of gameplay, like Batman & Robin is co-op, but batman robin nightwing and batgirl would be closer to multyplayer. i get what you guys have been saying i just dotn want a ton of people over the internet more like the lego starwars style 1 play drop in

Its defiantly going to be online. And I seeings how Arkham city will be 4-5 times bigger, its most likely co-op. my only concern is that the PC version might use windows live. Please God don't let this happen.

You know as long as there's no grinding trophies/acheivements or anything signifgantly difficuilt requiring multiplayer that's needed for 100% completion I wont rage...on the other hand if they do do anything like that I'll still buy the game...but I'll just stare a dissaproving stare at rocksteady for a whole three minutes...

Oh and I think they should include an intentionally awful and hilarious competative multiplayer with the over posted "thugs v. Batman" idea...perhaps make it first person for the thugs so that it's not to overwhelmingly hard hard for the Batman user.

As far as the legitimate and most likely co-op...outside of the single player experience, no more of Sheva standing right infront of you when you trying to aim...not to mention the fact that computer controlled co-op characters tend to look kind of funky animation wise in comparison to everything else and would take way from the atomsphere of the game. I have no issue with multiplayer games in general. Transformers WFC has a fun multiplayer and people who have gone through the campaign can actually level up the classes, not to mention how hilarious it is when you listen in on the mics in multiplayer games and they react to getting sniped...

But I digress...no campaign multiplayer...at all...I don't want Ai characters taking my experience...points...
    Take a third option...

a slight heads up. bring multi player back to u n a friend in the same room. split screen that stuff. take us back to our child hood days when christams meant possibly getting a video game. and leave room for the two players to b apart searchin for stuff. who knows maybe they could each dig for somethin different and then offer misson options to one another. then one may find somethin they agree on and take up that challenge. lame i know and will never happen. but could b possible in the future.

Thats co-op what people are somewhat ok with

wasn't co-op axed? I remember we read an article that said this.

Originally Posted by Batgirling
    wasn't co-op axed? I remember we read an article that said this.
    Same here.

PSM3 said that multiplayer was confirmed but then retracted their statement, but still left it open as to whether Arkham City will feature multiplayer or not.

I think...

IMO I just don't see multiplayer working in this kind of game. I mean I personally wont wana play catwomen and I'm sure my friends wont either.

Some of you guys are really freaking out over nothing. We can already tell that the multiplayer will be nothing like RE 5 because in the GI demo Batman is alone the entire time. No game will have 2 player co-op during the main game if one person has to sit it out for long periods.

So that means it will be something like challenge maps or like the co-op in Uncharted. None of those you guys have to play if you don't want to. And as for a verses kind of deal. I can't really see a Batman vs. Batman thing. The only thing that makes sense to me is if 10 or so people joined a game and out of that 1 person was randomly selected as Batman while the others became goons. Then it plays like a typical silent predator game just with the goons in first person and maybe its a little darker to them to prevent them from seeing Batman too clearly. If that was the case I think it would be fun as long as it was balanced and that could easily be done.

All I'm saying is don't get so worked up. Some of you are in this major 'Batman works alone' kick. But if you read some of the great Batman graphic novels, most of the time he has help. (The Dark Knight Returns actually had him getting a whole Bat-gang) I mean Robin, Nightwing, Oracle, Alfred, Gordon are all great characters. No reason they should be in the game and helping out from time to time.
    Haikus are easy. But sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator.

For the record, I can't wait to play this game with my borther/bat-fan friend.

Page 4 of 5 First First 12345 Last