Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: Deus Ex Main Site (what do you think?) - Countdown timer added - 9 March 2011

Deus Ex Main Site (what do you think?) - Countdown timer added - 9 March 2011

Lightbulb Deus Ex Main Site (what do you think?) - Countdown timer added - 9 March 2011

Hello you beautiful people,

Straight to the point: What do you think of the current Deusex.com website? Is there anything you don't like? Do you have any recommendations? Let us know!

In another thread, H.D. Case suggested: "if your plans for releasing materials to the public ireally exists, why don't you put a meter on the webpage? That way we could at least know how long we have to wait and maybe even anticipate the new material more?"

This might be doable.

Ideally, the way I'm going to do this is you suggest some ideas, why you think they're good, and I'll compile them into a list and present them to the team here.

So...have fun!

SUMMARY OF SUGGESTIONS (in no particular order of importance)

1. Countdown meter
    2. Game introduction
    3. History of the previous games and links to the DX universe and how HR fits into the overall timeline and concept.
    3. Official box art
    4. In-depth sections for:

characters and factions
    weapons
    augmentations
    localities (worldwide and relevant city maps)

5. More concept art and screenshots
    6. Add all the earlier trailers and E3 gameplay trailer
    7. Collectors' Edition section
    8. Official competition to win some goodies
    9. Offer tribute to the DX Logo
    10. Possibly use a dynamic user interface (mouse-over interaction)
    11. Perhaps improve on the tagline, "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW"
    12. Guestbook area to leave comments/feedback
    13. Introduction to the dev team and voice actors (and mini interviews)
    14. In-game newspaper snippets (to build up atmosphere)
    15. A journal from Adam (personal or work related)
    16. Add music to the site
    17. Fun flash game (pimp your aug/fly as Icarus without falling etc)
    Or how about a facebook game where we battle each other using augs. We could then earn xp to upgrade our augs (or switch them out for better augs). You could throw in health, fitness and luck into the mix - just a bit of fun in the run up to release.
    18. Return link to Dev Blog
    19. Add forum FAQs inside the "Game" tag so that it isn't inactive
    20. Add links to all the company YouTube channels.
    21. The Story & Features section looks a bit barren.

TECHNICAL PROBLEMS/BUGS ETC.

The link to the store appears to be broken and gives the following error:
    *Not Found / The requested URL /en/shop.html was not found on this server.

The RSS-feed (http://www.deusex.com/?func=rss) doesn't work with greader.
    Is the Icarus by Michael McCann no longer available for download? If so - why?
    The RSS feed fails. I get the information via feed however the links are bogus and sends me to a page with Error 404, Example link from feed "http://www.deusex.com/blogs/%5Bsname%5D"
    Perhaps I would suggest having an external site for this or at least combining the feed with the official main blog/news for Eidos (if there is one
    On the site of sarif industries, after the hacking, there is a mistake in file with armblade. We have three dimensions, one lenght 35cm, and section dimensions 10 i 50 cm- it should be milimeters I think.
    Some issue with the forum - when I log in, in redirects me into the DX:HR subforum all right. But when I use opera, I get always kicked to the forums list. It's become tiresome after so many logging-ins. Any possibility of an Opera fix? (the best browser around, the one I feel like praising every time somebody mentions the "browser" word?)

Big Grin

I really like the site overall, It's great looking. And I like the idea of a meter/counter for releases.

Here's what I have to say:
    I would love to see more of the concept art that's been made; it's just fantastic to look at. Perhaps separate screenshots and concept art to better serve this purpose?

No DX logo in sight, just the triangles. Come on, everyone misses the DX logo, can't it be brought back?

The Media page only has the two latest trailers, dropping the first ones. Also appears to be missing the latest screenshots...? Would like it to be more... Complete...

Oh my, I am disapoint that the poll says "JC Denton" instead of "J.C." Those are his initials, it's not a full first name! And it also says "Ok" as opposed to "O.K." or "Okay". How (gramatically) Unprofessional...
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

this is Enter-your-date-of-birth site. Nothing more nothing less (=
    Rex Deus Ex

Hmm, maybe:

• More in-game screenshots, separated into platform categories (PC/PS3/Xbox 360 screenshots).
    • A characters section
    • A weapons section
    • An augmentations section
    • A section on the locales you will visit
    • A section on a collector's edition and how the digital distribution method will handle it (if one is in the works)
    • Please fix the 'Game' button; it doesn't work.

I'd like to see some screenshots of all three versions (PC, 360, PS3), and have the platform each shot was taken from clearly marked.

I know it's not exactly the right venue for it, but maybe an FAQ comparable to the pinned one on there so people can learn about and reference some details of the game quickly.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Looks nice, no real substance.

How unbelievably fitting.

Laying aside the snarky comments for a while though, it could definitely do with more content. More screenshots! More news posts! (Hopefully that's something that should pick up now you're here...) Also, is it just me or does the "game" tab on the top not work?

There's also very little info about the actual game on there. And by very little, I mean none. Sure, there are the trailers and the screenshots, but imagine you're coming to this site for the first time: you've seen the trailer, you liked it, and you want to know more about the game. There's nothing to tell you what the game's about - even what kind of game it is (not helped at all by the trailers and screenshots - I genuinely would not know that this was even intended to be a "primarily" first person game from this site.) The site seems to assume you already know a lot about the game before you get there, and just want to see some pretty pictures.

Returning to "snarky" mode for a second, but to make a point: considering how much EM seems to be targeting the game itself towards an entirely new audience rather than long term fans of the series, to have the website going in completely the opposite direction is a somewhat staggering oversight.

Also, you may want to remove the "goodies" section for the media tab until you actually have something to put in there. It's sending the message of "we have no goodies" as it is.

Finally, is "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW" really the best tagline EM's marketing team could come up with? Come on guys, you can do better than that! "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" is much better, for instance.

Yeah, if we can keep the snarkiness to a minimum here that would be much more conducive to establishing a website we can all enjoy. I know what everyone thinks of the game right now, and I know how you all feel about past communications with EM, so let's focus on creating something better together.

I actually think Ashpolt's making some good points in between jabs
    Even just a paragraph explaining the design philosophy of the game for a newcomer would make some sense to me. From the trailers it looks like it's just a run of the mill shooter + metal arms.
    And rather than removing the section, give us goodies! Om nom nom.
    Weapons/augs section = yes.
    Countdown timer = doubleplus good (although refrain from counting interviews with no new content)

The site looks good to me but I agree with Cronstintein that an introduction to the game's design philosophy would be beneficial to newcomers.

I like H.D Case's countdown timer idea, so hope this can be done.

May I suggest we have an official competition a few months before release date?
    We all want that, surely!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Coyotegrey
    Is there anything you don't like?
    A few things, but they won't be changed so I won't complain about it.

Do you have any recommendations?
    We have this lovely FAQ on the forum and a big thread with quite a few screenshots and articles. Both of these contain a lot of useful information and images that can't be found anywhere on the site. Now, I would appreciate it if more newfriends join us in this barren wasteland, but it might help the game if people could find actual information about the game on the site. As Ashpolt said, if I am new to the game and go to the official page I can't find out anything about the game. The "Game" button doesn't work. Now I understand that any info will be in hype speak, but something would be much better than nothing.

Besides the screenshots you have going on that page there are a ton of really neat concept images that have already been released to the press. Images dealing with the Boxguard, weapons, antagonists, enemies and locations. Pretty pictures and it would be a shame to let them go to waste. Also, the current gallery is very heavy on the gold and black. I know those are the main colors of the game, but it couldn't hurt to show a bit of variation. As they say, variety is the spice of life.

Boxguard is focus-testing well with this forum. You might want to take note of that.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Good stuff, everyone. Keep it comin' if you can.

Good stuff, everyone. Keep it comin' if you can.
    Okay, you asked for it.

Any chance we can read some information on the official box art and also the collectors' edition?
    signature image

Originally Posted by Dr Bob
    Hmm, maybe:

• More in-game screenshots, separated into platform categories (PC/PS3/Xbox 360 screenshots).
    • A characters section
    • A weapons section
    • An augmentations section
    Yes to all the above. Plus one.
    [*]Locations

I would like that the site had a section like this, with Adam instead of Sam.

Originally Posted by Esnuk
    I would like that the site had a section like this, with Adam instead of Sam.
    Yes, I really like those dynamic interface websites.
    (Hope that's the right terminology? )
    signature image

Originally Posted by MrsP
    Okay, you asked for it.

Any chance we can read some information on the official box art and also the collectors' edition?
    Yes, I'd like to hear more on this, too.

Originally Posted by Gizmostuff
    Yes to all the above. Plus one.
    [*]Locations
    Good suggestion.

I'll just put it out there that the DX fansites have fairly thorough synopsises (as far as can be done with the known info) of HR. Official site=nothing?
    What the heck, man...
    As stated above, plot introduction, overall game info, character profiles, in-game tech rundowns... Need this naooowgh.

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Finally, is "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW" really the best tagline EM's marketing team could come up with? Come on guys, you can do better than that! "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" is much better, for instance.
    To be honest, when reading that I can only think of the cryo-lab scientist from the first episode of Futurama.

WELCOME...
    TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROW
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Originally Posted by Angel-A

To be honest, when reading that I can only think of the cryo-lab scientist from the first episode of Futurama.

WELCOME...
    TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROW
    High five! The same here! I even went to look for the fragment on yt, but I could not find it. Makes it all so ridiculous, doesn't it? At least it is not the usual "The world as you know it will never be the same. A new era has come and nothing's gonna be the same again!"
    If you want to make enemies, demand respect while you exhibit none.

Thanks for giving some thought to my idea Coyotegrey I think that the website is pretty clean, which means it is good. It shouldn't be stripped off the dx stuff though, so I agree with others - it would be nice if all was gathered there Maybe it would be good to let people comment on seperate things?
    I am glad that the trailer does not start automatically - this is one of the things that annoy me at other websites the most.
    If your company's web designers feel up to a challenge, a flash presentation of weapons & stuff would be nice. Just as others below have already said. Along with items introduction, there could be an interactive presentation of weapons, augs and so on. Could look spectacular. Do you know what the weapons/ships presentation in the freespace series looked like? Just like the ship's presentation between 0:46-1:06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbo203HLAI I think, if it was flash based and interactive, that would be really great! Just like somebody stated on the forum some time ago - virus marketing works, so if not seperate sariff advertizing movies, then at least sth like that on the website?
    If you want to make enemies, demand respect while you exhibit none.

Improving the website?

Well, I do like the design, but as the others already said, the content is missing.

But how about:

- Some statements of the game testers .. I would like to know their thoughts about the game.
    - I'm also interested in EM. Some pictures of the Devs working places and who is responsible for what etc. would be nice.
    - Why not copying the text of the user manual to the website? Especially the part about augs and inventory would be intriguing.
    - A Dev blog about the last balancing stuff maybe? Or at least a chat, where the devs appear to answer our questions once weekly? The scipt could then be placed in the forum. Star Trek Online did solve this quite well, before the game came out (didn't buy it though).
    - How about some information about the game background? Why not publishing some ingame news already? You could already build up some atmosphere ("Bad fame for company XY introducing new YZ", "Riots in blabla because of this and that"). How about a journal of Adam before the game starts? Maybe he is writing about his work as security guard and give some family background? Maybe he's complaining how boring his life is at the moment.
    - The marketing people are linking the game to the icarus myth. Why not give some information about this? Maybe not just the story everybody knows, but also some interesting links/connections to other aspects.
    - How about a silly flashgame called "pimp your AUG" or something? Or flying as Icarus without falling down.

Visually speaking, it's pretty swell. A bit of a large emphasis on the partners and their non-fitting logos, but that can't be helped much, I assume.

A lot of things strike me as odd, content-wise, however.

The biggest issue, by far, is that it seems to take for granted the visitors already know all there is to know about the game, which completely nullifies the entire purpose of having a site up in the first place. It's not like the people here, or other followers of the game, will suddenly forget the game exists. Has anyone, during the creation process, wondered who the target of the site was, who it aims to inform, and what it wants to inform them of? Pretend for a minute you know nothing about the game, and you just typed in deusex.com. What's the first thing you see, once you pass the Minotaur's age test? Would you know what this whole site is about?

I understand the trailer is a big showpiece right now, but putting them both on the home tab. Really? And a poll to top the most important page of a website. Seriously, a poll. I'd understand the trailers if you (not you, you, btw, but you as who you represent) were going for a "oooh let's intrigue the visitor so he clicks around to find some more" strategy, but there IS litterally nothing more to explore right now, anywhere on the site.

Which brings me to my next question; Why is the "game" reduced to a tab? Is the game aspect just one part of DX:HR. Does Deusex.com offer other services we're not aware of yet? Regardless of what other game sites may look like, which I really don't care, the issue here seems to be that the site itself is built like a company website, not a product website. I almost expect to find a "contact us" section with an email adress to Sarif Industries somewhere in there.

Bar the trailers, absolutely none of the content released so far left and right by the hectic marketing plan has found a place on the website. Where are the hi-res screens released exclusively to magazines? Where is the plot of the game described only in parcels throughout 25 clone interviews? Where does HR fit within the Deus Ex story? Considering the weblink is Deusex.com, one might actually wonder how any of this fits into Deus Ex.

The news section is overly prominent. The recent news section on the home tab, coupled with an actual news tab, is out of place. Even as we near release, just how many news do you expect to show up that requires two news sections, when the game is reduced to a tab? Again, I wonder who the site is exactly aiming at, and what it wants to describe. Before you start making plans to link the news section to Twitter's subscribers, efforts should really be focused on site content.

I understand there is little content to provide right now, for reasons beyond my reach or yours, but once content does get released the site's entire structure will have to be revised, hence why I mention all of this now. You can't just use this foundation and pour in screens, character bios and other material within the tabs in place and have something coherent. Way, way too much info will be lost in the game tab, while the home page will be ridculously empty, with its poll on the side, as a final joke to the concept.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

I didn't even know there was an Official Site.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    I didn't even know there was an Official Site.
    That's another problem. It's quite simply underexposed.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

I imagine if there was any reason at all to go there, people would know about it, and go there. But we're not quite at that stage yet.

Don't worry, our new CM will handle the situation!

signature image

A medium to directly contact the devs would be great, assuming they have absolutely no intention to use this official forum. There should also be more information about the gameplay and the overall game structure (for newcomers to the franchise and DX vets alike). And some PC version screenshots please!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last