Thread: Day one purchases you regret

Day one purchases you regret

Day one purchases you regret

I was discussing my purchasing habits with a friend the other day, and he kept insisting that I have poor judgment when it comes to buying games sight unseen. Does anyone else have this problem?

What games did you purchase day one only to later regret the full price? I'm not talking about used game purchases or games you bought after the game had been out for months. I'm talking about games you had your eye on for months and bought the day they came out. Here are mine:

Shadowrun(360): This one I bought because I had just picked up a 360 and was starting to get tired of Gears1. It turned out the game only came with like 5 maps, 2 modes(CTF and TDM), and no single player campaign.
    I always get this one thrown in my face during conversations about my poor buying habits because it's probably the smallest bang for the buck in the lot. The funny thing is, this game doesn't play horribly. It is just so bare-bones that it's more of a $15 arcade game than a $60 retail title.

Too Human: Ugh, Dennis Dyack, what hast thou wrought? I somehow still bought this one even after reading all the bad reviews. Boring combat, only 2 player co-op(instead of 4 like Silicon Knights had originally planned), dumb story,looked ugly etc. etc.

Borderlands: This one is actually a quality game. My problem with it is that I could never muster the will to play it after I beat it the first time, which is a key component to this game's appeal. The actual gameplay is really fun. The problem is, that after I finished it in co-op with my friends, I was done. They somehow continued to buy the DLC and level up new characters to my bewilderment.

Brutal Legend: I'll admit, I bought this one partly because I had heard some guy on a podcast talk about how people should vote with their wallets and support the developers they like. For some reason that sentiment resonated with me and I pre-ordered this game the next day. That, and I also needed something to tide me over until MW2 came out. Oh well.

What are yours?

Metro 2033; this game is broken beyond repair.

Bioshock 2: If I only knew how much 2K would screw their fans over with on-disc ULC, map packs with no playlist, lame protector trials and no patch for MP or even SP issues. I would've bought this game at 7€/$ on the second hand market.

Resident Evil 5: absolute garbage + worst MP I have ever played (next to Condemned 2's unnecessary MP).
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    Metro 2033; this game is broken beyond repair.
    I'm guessing you got the console version?

Arrow

Dog Man , this christmas you'll get a hallucination tonic in your cake , you'll picture a Big Daddy drilling your all day long , and squashing puppies before you , muhahahahahha ...

Anywya , no i never 'regret' purchasing a game , has i am gifted with the ability of knowing what game is it that i'm going to buy , and if i buy it even if it got bad reviews right from the start , it's deffinately because i Want to play it , so i never find myself regretting , no ...

There have been a few times however , where i believe that i spent 'too much' on a game , that doesn't mean i didn't liked the game , but ... kind of like the price i paid was just 'too high' ...
    For example God of War III and Arkham Asylum , i didn't hated or regreted buying and playing them , as i know one day or another i was going to have them , but maybe i should have forked out less money for them , as in comparison i've played better games without spending that much money ...

Just a case of comparison , then , but no regrets , never ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

Originally Posted by joe the janitor
    I'm guessing you got the console version?
    Yes, but that doesn't matter because the following are present in the PC version as well:
    - some weapons are imaginative but mostly very weak (even the pre-order Automatic Heavy Shotgun)
    - hit-detection is way off
    - enemy AI is a joke or downright unfair (for instance: pinpoint accuracy from the other side of the map with a rusty machine gun...). And a headshot is a headshot. Period!
    - using stealth to take out an enemy is definitely not the way to go because the stealth mechanics are broken.
    - the monsters are overpowered (librarians ring a bell?) and poorly designed. Confronting them is a waste of ammo but unfortunately, you don't have a choice.
    - accidentally evading a scripted event will cause the game to crash. If one isn't supposed to evade a scripted event, then why give one the liberty to do so?

I don't hate this game because it's rubbish, I hate this game because I was so disappointed. I really, really wanted it to be good. Granted; atmosphere & story were excellent.

Metro 2033- I only paid 50 USD for it and don't get me wrong, I loved it. But it wasn't worth the 50 bucks. Maybe 30

Overlord II- Game sucked at any price

Fable II- Same as Metro, loved it, but it wasn't worth the 60 USD (although I got it for $54 on the first weekend after it was out)
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Resident Evil 5
    That game was my disappointment of 2009. I followed it up ever since it was first announced and got it the day one, the Limited Edition/Collector's Edition too.

That's the last time I purchased LE/CE. Also the time I lost faith in Resident Evil.

Now, don't get me wrong it's a good game, it's just not exactly what Resident Evil game should be.

It's funny thing cause Silent Hill Homecoming was another day one bummer. I still regret spending sixty bucks on it.
    Maybe I'm just getting old.

At least Silent Hill: Homecoming wasn't a 3rd person action shooter with crappy co-op.

Originally Posted by ohitspatty
    Also the time I lost faith in Resident Evil.
    I lost faith in RE when I reached Disc 2 of RE4.

I actually liked Resident 4...it was still "dark" and not ridiculous.
    But seriosuly, I'm pissed off about Homecoming. It pissed me off on many accounts, but because it's Silent Hill, I tried to like it and now I kind of do. I mean, you're right it's not an action shooter.

Yes, but that doesn't matter because the following are present in the PC version as well:
    - some weapons are imaginative but mostly very weak (even the pre-order Automatic Heavy Shotgun)
    - hit-detection is way off
    - enemy AI is a joke or downright unfair (for instance: pinpoint accuracy from the other side of the map with a rusty machine gun...). And a headshot is a headshot. Period!
    - using stealth to take out an enemy is definitely not the way to go because the stealth mechanics are broken.
    - the monsters are overpowered (librarians ring a bell?) and poorly designed. Confronting them is a waste of ammo but unfortunately, you don't have a choice.
    - accidentally evading a scripted event will cause the game to crash. If one isn't supposed to evade a scripted event, then why give one the liberty to do so?

I don't hate this game because it's rubbish, I hate this game because I was so disappointed. I really, really wanted it to be good. Granted; atmosphere & story were excellent.
    Still loved it. Keep in mind your talking to a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. I can take bad AI, overpowered enemies, and bad hit detection because to me it's still a immersive experience.
    I just wish it was open world. It would be so cool have to search for supplies above ground then coming back down, trading, buying stuff. I was disappointed by the linearity of it all.

You mean like Fallout only in Mother Russia?

Originally Posted by ohitspatty
    I actually liked Resident 4...it was still "dark" and not ridiculous.
    That's the thing; it went from dark to House of the Dead-ridiculous on Disc 2. Infected with gatling guns & stun rods... Rubbish.

I just wish it was open world. It would be so cool have to search for supplies above ground then coming back down, trading, buying stuff. I was disappointed by the linearity of it all.
    That's also one of the reasons I was disappointed.

Starcraft 2 - the day it came out

Didn't regret it.

I actually regret only a few games i bought (and i bought a lot).

Resident Evil 5: absolute garbage + worst MP I have ever played (next to Condemned 2's unnecessary MP).
    I was actually curious to try out the MP for RE5. It looked awful to me, although I had a friend tell me he had fun wrestling with the controls and inventory interface while trying to kill people. He said it was so bad that when he would finally kill someone or win a match that it was pretty satisfying. That sounds completely backwards but I can sorta see how that would be fun in an ironic way.

Originally Posted by gnrGrievous

There have been a few times however , where i believe that i spent 'too much' on a game , that doesn't mean i didn't liked the game , but ... kind of like the price i paid was just 'too high'
    Yeah, a lot of the ones I mentioned fell into this category. I'm kinda glad I own them--for posterity's sake--I just wish I'd paid less.

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite
    Overlord II- Game sucked at any price
    I loved the first one! I played the second one for about 2 hours and deemed it too similar to the first as to be almost the same game. Thus, not worth my time.

Originally Posted by VegaSagatBison
    I was actually curious to try out the MP for RE5. It looked awful to me, although I had a friend tell me he had fun wrestling with the controls and inventory interface while trying to kill people. He said it was so bad that when he would finally kill someone or win a match that it was pretty satisfying. That sounds completely backwards but I can sorta see how that would be fun in an ironic way.
    I had more fun getting rid of acne during my adolescent years.

Question

You still remember that experience of getting rid of your acne ? ...
    Hi, i'm the one who makes Wall of Text Armadas in a unhinged regular fashion.
    If you remember me, best start taking your pills again.

Yes. An elephant never forgets.

Originally Posted by jackgordon
    yes. An elephant never forgets.

the elephant won't forget what it's like inside his cage. The ringmaster's telecaster sings on an empty stage.
    lol

Eels. Reminds me of that Road Trip flick.

Yeah, I know. Such a chill song.

kane and lynch 2, ty console port, worst game all year IMO.

You're kind of wasting your time here, pal.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

...Yeah. I don't even have to say anything about that. That was the game that completely destroyed my liking of the series after the really good Sonic Adventure games.
    A mortal man, with once a human heart, has become a fiend for his especial torment! - Chillingworth, The Scarlet Letter

Ok, I got one! The new dog days map pack or whatever it's called. It cost me 800 mp. One hour later it's 560 mp... you Microsoft!

Edit: 500th post

Ok, I got one! The new dog days map pack or whatever it's called. It cost me 800 mp. One hour later it's 560 mp... you Microsoft!
    Don't worry about it; find a way to even the score. That's what I'll be doing as it is only fair.