Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 's guide to scouting

's guide to scouting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    582

    's guide to scouting

    SCOUT

    Scout is a very cool class. I like playing it most than any other (even the vampires, even though I am an old fan of the series), so I decided (as I haven't seen a guide for the scout around here yet) to write this one. Well, Here it is!

    Weapon choosing:
    Scout have a cool variability of weapons. None feel the same of the others, like it happens with some other classes. So in this part, it is REALLY about preference. I personally use a Stormbow, but I never forget my Warbow and my Swiftbow at home! I usually get in the match using the Stormbow, but when I notice 2+ Razielims on the sky, I get the Warbow, and if the strategy of the vampires is getting them closer then I would wish, I change to the Swiftbow. Is better to have them all, just in case.

    Primary Ability:
    That comes with the gameplay. You are the kind of guy that take your chance running away? Camo, for sure. It does not get you REALLY invisible, but who will notice that little blurried thing running away in the middle of the team fight? But, if you are the kind of guy that likes to fight to death, stay with Knives. It gets you a little stun, if ANY of the knives hit, +90 dmg/knife, and the chance to get one or two shots, or a drawn Swift shot.

    Secondary Ability:
    Volley. No trap is equally strategical, and no hook is equally useful. The area is REALLY wide and the damage is satifsacting. Plus, there is no sweetest sound than the "tec"s of a volley hitting. Turret may be a nice option for you too, and the combo of traps+knives is very good for self-defense, but Volley is the most strategical of your options so far, for sure. It may tear apart an entire group of Turelim/Dumahim, and would hit some Razielim sometimes, and it may get that vampire off of your companion's corpse =P

    Overall strategy:
    Scout is a lone wolf. He is the guy that is always well hidden and caring for his team, having all the rest of the humans in his line of sight. The battle will surelly looks 3x4, but one shot of a scout may take up to 45% of a Dumahim's life! That is pretty good for the battle. And his shots hardly miss, cause he is not tense, being (apparently) out of the vampires sight.

    That's pretty much it! Thanks for reading and please leave your feedback!
    Last edited by ZeroFernir; 4th Apr 2014 at 16:11.
    signature image

  2. #2
    Thx. You have some goood info here. However, guides, IMO, should be more unprejudiced.
    So, I feel the need to add something to consider for new scouts in the club. the message will be more about's scout's role in team.
    As with all abilities and chars in Nosgoth, every skill and role is best used in appropriate situation. So, there is definately not a '100% winner and loser' in game. Especially for scout, since his abilities, I think, are quite worked out(except of course cloak which needs some reassembling for sure)
    Weapons. Scout role based on weapon

    sniper\ direct dmg dealer
    1st let's talk about simple bows
    Composite and Swift bows are like two sides of a coin, so except differences in stats the role which plays scout with these bows are equall. However, form the table below, which I've stolen from
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=12121
    Thx to Oroi for his great work on hum.weapons numbers. I, really, hope, he won't mind much ...

    Swift Composite
    Damage 185.00 190.00
    Fire rate 1.40 1.40
    Clip 6.00 6.00
    Ammo 36.00 36.00
    Reload 1.50 1.50

    Draw damage 375.00 475.00
    Draw time 1.30 2.00
    Time to empty 4.29 4.29
    Burst dps 259.00 266.00
    Draw dps 163.04 158.33

    ...We can conclude that's Compund bow is more powerful than Swift in more situations. Really now - if you are in position where\when you can use Swift's advantage of quickers drowing, which is possible 2-3 times out of 7, it's much better to maximize the draw effect of S\C\W bows all the time.

    These bows make scout play his standard role, which is sniping and decent dmg dealer in the team on team fight.
    So use this type of bow in standard situations\balanced teams\When not sure what to do\starting playing scout

    sniper\dmg dealer in team on team fight\anti reaver
    Storm bow does two types of dmg- direct and area.
    weak
    - the time between hit and arrow explosion which gets u killed more.
    - less ammo between reloads.
    strong
    -against reaver's 'escape abilities'
    -team on team fights
    -highlighting enemy healthbars (because of longer dmg dealing system there is extra second u and you teammates can track enemy's healthbar
    -useful in 'shots of luck' - u can start shooting in smoke\indroors\ground\ etc... and help your teammates if u happen to be far from them
    Use this bow when there are 2-4 reavers(almost all the time

    support\weak dmg dealing in team on team fights
    The awaited Warbow. the most difficult to use and much useless then not, this bow makes scout more support character.
    weak
    - only 4 ammo
    - extended afterdraw wait time before you can shoot\use abilities again.
    - lower dps\draw dps
    - weakens scout
    - makes scout more suportive char
    strong
    - makes scout more supportive char
    - give big advantage against sents\tyrant's leap
    - gives scout ability to desrupt abilities of vamps.
    use this bow when there are more Sentinels\Tyrants with Leap(useless if tyrant has Charge!. Recommended for experienced players... At least lvl 13-17.

    Abilities. Scout role based on abilities
    turret - recommended for new players. Does very good dmg\can be used indoors. gives scout additional power in encounters. good versus teams with 1-2 reavers. ( human team can stay indoors more time)
    volley - Should be used by more experienced players. Has quicker animation. gives scout much more options for moves against vamps. - downside - lower dps\ only outdoors.
    mine - can buy scout some time. good dmg. much flexibility to scout. however, should be used ONLY by 20th lvl and higher- can be disabled by vamps without dealing dmg.

    Stealth\knives - IMO stealth is very easy to detect. give much less opportunities then knives.

    EDIT. Mark. played half a round with it. already in love. bestest 'q' skill for sure! Usability is very high. Makes more effective Volley and Turret. However, I think it's too easy to 'hit' the target. Think it should require more accurate hit\smaller hitbox?

    Hope my thoughts are helpful. would be glad to descuss the thread further.
    Last edited by agile2015; 16th Apr 2014 at 13:10.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    582
    Originally Posted by agile2015
    Thx. You have some goood info here. However, guides, IMO, should be more unprejudiced.
    So, I feel the need to add something to consider for new scouts in the club. the message will be more about's scout's role in team.
    As with all abilities and chars in Nosgoth, every skill and role is best used in appropriate situation. So, there is definately not a '100% winner and loser' in game. Especially for scout, since his abilities, I think, are quite worked out(except of course cloak which needs some reassembling for sure)
    Weapons. Scout role based on weapon

    sniper\ direct dmg dealer
    1st let's talk about simple bows
    Composite and Swift bows are like two sides of a coin, so except differences in stats the role which plays scout with these bows are equall. However, form the table below, which I've stolen from
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=12121
    Thx to Oroi for his great work on hum.weapons numbers. I, really, hope, he won't mind much ...

    Swift Composite
    Damage 185.00 190.00
    Fire rate 1.40 1.40
    Clip 6.00 6.00
    Ammo 36.00 36.00
    Reload 1.50 1.50

    Draw damage 375.00 475.00
    Draw time 1.30 2.00
    Time to empty 4.29 4.29
    Burst dps 259.00 266.00
    Draw dps 163.04 158.33

    ...We can conclude that's Compund bow is more powerful than Swift in more situations. Really now - if you are in position where\when you can use Swift's advantage of quickers drowing, which is possible 2-3 times out of 7, it's much better to maximize the draw effect of S\C\W bows all the time.

    These bows make scout play his standard role, which is sniping and decent dmg dealer in the team on team fight.
    So use this type of bow in standard situations\balanced teams\When not sure what to do\starting playing scout

    sniper\dmg dealer in team on team fight\anti reaver
    Storm bow does two types of dmg- direct and area.
    weak
    - the time between hit and arrow explosion which gets u killed more.
    - less ammo between reloads.
    strong
    -against reaver's 'escape abilities'
    -team on team fights
    -highlighting enemy healthbars (because of longer dmg dealing system there is extra second u and you teammates can track enemy's healthbar
    -useful in 'shots of luck' - u can start shooting in smoke\indroors\ground\ etc... and help your teammates if u happen to be far from them
    Use this bow when there are 2-4 reavers(almost all the time

    support\weak dmg dealing in team on team fights
    The awaited Warbow. the most difficult to use and much useless then not, this bow makes scout more support character.
    weak
    - only 4 ammo
    - extended afterdraw wait time before you can shoot\use abilities again.
    - lower dps\draw dps
    - weakens scout
    - makes scout more suportive char
    strong
    - makes scout more supportive char
    - give big advantage against sents\tyrant's leap
    - gives scout ability to desrupt abilities of vamps.
    use this bow when there are more Sentinels\Tyrants with Leap(useless if tyrant has Charge!. Recommended for experienced players... At least lvl 13-17.

    Abilities. Scout role based on abilities
    turret - recommended for new players. Does very good dmg\can be used indoors. gives scout additional power in encounters. good versus teams with 1-2 reavers. ( human team can stay indoors more time)
    volley - Should be used by more experienced players. Has quicker animation. gives scout much more options for moves against vamps. - downside - lower dps\ only outdoors.
    mine - can buy scout some time. good dmg. much flexibility to scout. however, should be used ONLY by 20th lvl and higher- can be disabled by vamps without dealing dmg.

    Stealth\knives - IMO stealth is very easy to detect. give much less opportunities then knives.

    Hope my thoughts are helpful. would be glad to descuss the thread further.
    Pretty sure they are helpful =P
    I don't like Trap even now that I have your "recommended" level to use it. I really find Volley more useful, since it's wide range makes him extemely good for strategic and positioning. He can be trown really far, too (I lost the count of how many times I was in that two-level building in green side of provance and volleyed vampires who where in the tower). Your thoughts about compound bow were interesting, though I don't consider it (the bow) usefull even now. I find swift more usefull, because for the situations that coupound would work best we have the Storm, that is clearly the best choice. And it don't get you killed more often, because when you realize the strategy of vampire team you can change the bow between deaths.
    But that is only my preference and opinion. May we discuss it, so we may do a really good Scout's guide for everyone =D

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts =D
    signature image

  4. #4
    My guide:
    Shoot , they die! SCOUTS OP!!!

    I love using the landmine, if used correctly, u can do amazing stuff with it. Once you learn some good placements, you'll see what I mean :3
    signature image

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by ZeroFernir
    Pretty sure they are helpful =P
    I don't like Trap even now that I have your "recommended" level to use it.
    I am thinking about any ablity in Nosgoth as equal to any other ability in it's class. So we have the next suggestion

    volley = turret = mine. now we just need to to see the strong and weak sides of each ability.
    turret - more dmg, less flexibility
    volley - less dmg, more flexibility
    mine - ?? ??
    the strong side is that u don't have to 'activate the skill' in battle losing precious time and animations. it has much more dmg then turret and volley combined if thinking about 'one hit based damage'.
    it's weak point - it's more difficult to learn to use it and like all difficulties in life - more difficult more profit .

    About the thread. There are other guides for classes too, So the best thing we should do - merge with
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=9816

    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=9920

  6. #6
    Trap can only be more useful if your team (including you) can make it a choke point; if it's easy for the vampires to avoid while still having a target, it's not a threat. Meanwhile, turret can be counted on for at least minimal damage if thrown when the vamps engage.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ukraine, Kiev
    Posts
    267
    lol. trap is OP and my favorite skill. Now what follows is my personal opinion.
    Your Volley is useless. I will explain why.
    1. It is not that easy to separate vampires. Your volley lasts only few seconds after which they will come back and tear you apart. No vampire will try to 'end' human under the arrow shower. Vamps are very mobile and simple volley cant stop them nor even distract for a second.
    2. Its damage is really low as I can tell. The skill doesn't have its 100% sure 150 dmg like choking haze etc. Its easy as hell to maneuver to get out of its range. As an advantage for vampires it gives them time to consider new human team positioning when they retreat.
    3. Now another plus for vamps. When I am playing a tyrant (after I initiate first and retreat - human team takes its losses) I intentionally get in and get out just to take 30 dmg and then regenerate 285 HP (after 1st regeneration process ends this action launches 2nd wave of regeneration). Btw same works for turret as well.


    Now look at mine.
    1. Almost always it does guaranteed 400 dmg x Number of affected vamps (if you are lucky. I am, thankfully because of my experience in mine landing). Not 20 - 30 -50 dmg. Pure 400 dmg.
    2. It has a stagger effect which actually allows a scout to kill any vampire in 1*1 fight. Even when vamp performs successful ambush on scout.
    3. Its positioning may fulfill a lot of different strategic objectives: backyard, on move, long throw on ally. Because of stagger and high damage it offers good support and constitute a great menace for vamps.
    4. It has ridiculously low CD. And synergized great with daggers. The synergy between these two is fantastic.
    5. Smart vampires (those who can actually notice mine LOL) will cautiously avoid mine or will try to activate it by double dodge move. Thus wasting same time he would waste on avoiding useless volley AoE.


    It is a question of personal skill that highly affects on mine's efficiency in one's hands. I am playing scout 17 levels already and I can surely say that mine is a best secondary at this moment (versus balanced vampire team. Not against x4 sentinel team ofcourse!).
    Last edited by Prime_Abstergo; 11th Apr 2014 at 12:21.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    582
    Originally Posted by Prime_Abstergo
    lol. trap is OP and my favorite skill. Now what follows is my personal opinion.
    Your Volley is useless. I will explain why.
    1. It is not that easy to separate vampires. Your volley lasts only few seconds after which they will come back and tear you apart. No vampire will try to 'end' human under the arrow shower. Vamps are very mobile and simple volley cant stop them nor even distract for a second.
    2. Its damage is really low as I can tell. The skill doesn't have its 100% sure 150 dmg like choking haze etc. Its easy as hell to maneuver to get out of its range. As an advantage for vampires it gives them time to consider new human team positioning when they retreat.
    3. Now another plus for vamps. When I am playing a tyrant (after I initiate first and retreat - human team takes its losses) I intentionally get in and get out just to take 30 dmg and then regenerate 285 HP (after 1st regeneration process ends this action launches 2nd wave of regeneration). Btw same works for turret as well.


    Now look at mine.
    1. Almost always it does guaranteed 400 dmg x Number of affected vamps (if you are lucky. I am, thankfully because of my experience in mine landing). Not 20 - 30 -50 dmg. Pure 400 dmg.
    2. It has a stagger effect which actually allows a scout to kill any vampire in 1*1 fight. Even when vamp performs successful ambush on scout.
    3. Its positioning may fulfill a lot of different strategic objectives: backyard, on move, long throw on ally. Because of stagger and high damage it offers good support and constitute a great menace for vamps.
    4. It has ridiculously low CD. And synergized great with daggers. The synergy between these two is fantastic.
    5. Smart vampires (those who can actually notice mine LOL) will cautiously avoid mine or will try to activate it by double dodge move. Thus wasting same time he would waste on avoiding useless volley AoE.


    It is a question of personal skill that highly affects on mine's efficiency in one's hands. I am playing scout 17 levels already and I can surely say that mine is a best secondary at this moment (versus balanced vampire team. Not against x4 sentinel team ofcourse!).
    Thank you for your opinion! After such a great text in mine's defense, I'll surelly give it another (charged) shot!

    But for now, simply as making vampire's avoiding an area for that many seconds, makes Volley a GREAT strategic tool in the hands of the ones who knows how to use it, too. And it works against balanced and unbalanced teams, like the 4 dumahim cheese or the Razielim's nest waking.
    signature image

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,091
    Trap is a good skill. In fact, it's one of my favorites. (I was one of the people who used trap in early alpha with decent success.) I still appreciate it, but I've had better results with turret. Trap is definitely more reliable and consistent though. One of the great benefits of trap is the ability to cool it down while it's still in play. It also synergizes extremely well with the knives. That being said, against good players it's fairly easy to completely negate the damage and effectiveness if you're observant.


    Volley has gotten a buff a few times (I suggest you re-look at the damage numbers) and has massive area. On top of that, you can actually use it inside a building and scatter them, giving free shots. It has multiple uses, you just have to be creative.


    Generally speaking, the scout has the most viable combinations of skill set-ups of all the human classes. Each has their own strengths.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    582
    Originally Posted by cmstache
    Trap is a good skill. In fact, it's one of my favorites. (I was one of the people who used trap in early alpha with decent success.) I still appreciate it, but I've had better results with turret. Trap is definitely more reliable and consistent though. One of the great benefits of trap is the ability to cool it down while it's still in play. It also synergizes extremely well with the knives. That being said, against good players it's fairly easy to completely negate the damage and effectiveness if you're observant.


    Volley has gotten a buff a few times (I suggest you re-look at the damage numbers) and has massive area. On top of that, you can actually use it inside a building and scatter them, giving free shots. It has multiple uses, you just have to be creative.


    Generally speaking, the scout has the most viable combinations of skill set-ups of all the human classes. Each has their own strengths.
    I agree. Most of the others have skill that at least feel the same. Blinding shot and explosive shot? Grenade and sticky grenade? Poison mist and that light-damaging thing? =(
    signature image

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Prime_Abstergo
    lol. trap is OP and my favorite skill. Now what follows is my personal opinion.
    Your Volley is useless. I will explain why.
    not good saying that socut's ability is useless. his abilities are very balanced.
    1st. With volley I have killed crippled vamp who was hiding after fight countless times.
    2nd. With volley I have made vamps to change their location, thus destroying attack plans.
    3rd. volley can make much more dmg then mine, if played correctly.
    I'm not saying mine is not as good as volley. just saying that every ability in scout's desposal is very good and can do a lot of things. good things . the other classes, I believe, don't have that balance in their abilities

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    318
    Mine is good for "serious camping", but it's totally pointless the second you are outnumbered (let's say, when your team is getting wiped and you must try to run away and/or kill someone before dying). The reason is it takes quite some time to detonate, and a good Vampire will always see it in advance and avoid it, if not make it burst without taking damage (something I always do as a Reaver).

    Mine is very good if you have a good team with some strategy behind its positioning, maybe with even a second Scout with it, but I find turret/volley the best second perk for general situations. Sometimes fights tend to concentrate lots of enemies in one small spot, and with an AoE ability like volley or turret you can deal a lot of damage and make them spread, giving your comrades and yourself the time to kill a couple of them and have the others fleeing. Even if you die, launching a turret/volley is much more pissing off than planting a mine, because the latter is gone in way less time, while the other can keep enemies away from your body an blood long enough to have someone finishing them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona, United States
    Posts
    163
    Originally Posted by LOFO1993
    Mine is good for "serious camping", but it's totally pointless the second you are outnumbered (let's say, when your team is getting wiped and you must try to run away and/or kill someone before dying). The reason is it takes quite some time to detonate, and a good Vampire will always see it in advance and avoid it, if not make it burst without taking damage (something I always do as a Reaver).

    Mine is very good if you have a good team with some strategy behind its positioning, maybe with even a second Scout with it, but I find turret/volley the best second perk for general situations. Sometimes fights tend to concentrate lots of enemies in one small spot, and with an AoE ability like volley or turret you can deal a lot of damage and make them spread, giving your comrades and yourself the time to kill a couple of them and have the others fleeing. Even if you die, launching a turret/volley is much more pissing off than planting a mine, because the latter is gone in way less time, while the other can keep enemies away from your body an blood long enough to have someone finishing them.
    You're not using mine to its full potential if you think camping is its biggest use. The entire point of using trap is to get double stuns during teamfights or 1v1 encounters, which is incredibly deadly to vampires. It's also an amazing spacing tool since good vampires will be forced to attack you from alternate angles.

    On top of that, you can actually maneuver around your trap quickly. Volley and turret force you to either back off or take extra damage trying to cross the (short lived) AoE.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    318
    Originally Posted by Saturnity
    You're not using mine to its full potential if you think camping is its biggest use. The entire point of using trap is to get double stuns during teamfights or 1v1 encounters, which is incredibly deadly to vampires. It's also an amazing spacing tool since good vampires will be forced to attack you from alternate angles.
    I know that. It's just mine is too visible to trick a good vampire player and too slow in detonation to just throw it at him.

  15. #15
    oh! oh! I have a proposal. let's write down how many kills u have with your ONE favorite SECONDARY ACOUT ability. volley, turret, mine.
    Volley suits best for me so.
    Volley - 173 kills.


    Oh and just for fun, I have 90 suicides. I hope it's a record.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by [B
    Volley - 173 kills.[/B]
    I made it green and in preview it looks green, but after posting it shows to me as grey-colored. Anyone knows what's the probleM?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ukraine, Kiev
    Posts
    267
    Originally Posted by LOFO1993
    I know that. It's just mine is too visible to trick a good vampire player and too slow in detonation to just throw it at him.
    I plant mines 'under' bushes and in narrow corridors and doorways. It is usually 100% hit on vamps - most of them are rushing or fleeing just through the 'minefield'. Then again - throw mine on a pouncing reaver and you'll get free 400 dmg and timeframe enough to start shooting before mine triggers.
    And lastly mine works best when you coordinate your teammates movement considering mine location.

    Originally Posted by agile2015
    I made it green and in preview it looks green, but after posting it shows to me as grey-colored. Anyone knows what's the probleM?
    And its still green. xD

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    318
    I'm talking as both a Reaver and a Scout player: I know mine has its purpose, I'm just saying I both avoid it better than the alternatives as a Vampire and find it less useful for my stile of playing as a Human. Every ability can be used in many ways, it depends on how you play, on how your team plays and on how the other team plays.

  19. #19
    no one wishes to share the killrate?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona, United States
    Posts
    163
    Originally Posted by agile2015
    no one wishes to share the killrate?
    They all have different roles, so it's apples to oranges. Turret is geared towards dps, volley is wide area denial, and trap is an opening attack.

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by Saturnity
    They all have different roles, so it's apples to oranges. Turret is geared towards dps, volley is wide area denial, and trap is an opening attack.
    Hey mrs. Saturn's husband!
    As with most polls, it was meant more for fun...

    From the other point of view, though, scout is moslty dmg dealer and his abilities are used to making dng, so comparing killrate of his abilities could be viewed not only for fun, but for some thinking too

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ukraine, Kiev
    Posts
    267
    I'd say Volley is anti-sentinel (espesially anti-'take-off' sentinels), turret is anti-tyrant (hes just to slow to move out) and mine is anti-reaver abilities (maximum stun profit with reavers and tyrants too). Thats my personal opinion and I'm not gonna argue about it.
    signature image

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,091
    Originally Posted by agile2015
    I made it green and in preview it looks green, but after posting it shows to me as grey-colored. Anyone knows what's the probleM?

    Turret, 155
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

  24. #24
    neat little guide for when to use weapons :P I just tested out using the war/swift/storm bows. still a tad afraid to stay a little away from my team mates, but i do try to stay hidden. was very useful though. although... using the war bow definitely made me a target for the sentinels :/ which was quite interesting.

  25. #25
    Turret, 89

Page 1 of 2 12 Last