Thread: Soul Reaver 1, 2 and "3" - GlyphX / Sandman Studios rendered images

Soul Reaver 1, 2 and "3" - GlyphX / Sandman Studios rendered images

We've seen these before, but much of the time are as promotional wallpaper (and have a logo on) or as boxart (and have lots of logos on). Sandman Studios are the group that bought out GlyphX (who made the Soul Reaver 1 and 2 intro sequences) and they have these untarnished art images on their website. The "3" in the title is Sandman's listed name for Defiance.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Not a really a unique find, and NR has most of them already (with text/logo on) but its nice to have some untarnished images and find out what happened to the legendary GlyphX.

Also, really interesting comments from (apparently) one of GlyphX's former animators.

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/sho...ou-are-my-hero!

Yeah we did the intro's for both Soul Reaver 1 and 2 actually. Both good projects... if it wasn't for the fact that working for other people really sucks sometimes. Soul Reaver 2 had such potential to be the coolest thing ever... except that the client kept getting in the way ("we want Kain to just stand there... don't let him do anything exciting"... [img]graemlins/blahblah.gif[/img] ) We tried to really make it dynamic, and they just kept making us re-do it until it was actionless, dull, and flat... not to mention that re-doing thing 7-8 times killed our deadline and forced to use half-assed animation that looked like crap. At least Moebius was cool. [img]graemlins/Rant-Smilie.gif[/img]

Sorry... had to vent that for some reason...

lol... they did not like SR2 intro the way creators wanted it? I like it in the way it is, besides, Kain´s aim was to lure Raziel into past not grab him and throw him through the portal himself xD

ahh Divine shadow what GEMS you manage to find in such high res-iness!!

now if only you can find high res images of the kain and raziel models (both raz's) used by glyph-X

<3<3

How did you find all this stuff all of the sudden?

I love the SR2 intro. It's my favorite of all of them and I've basically memorized the whole thing like I'm sure a lot of us have. Interesting that they said that. I couldn't have imagined it any other way. It just seems to really establish the characters of Kain and Raziel for that game.

That comment just shows that designers knew what they wanted /* Edit: to clarify, by designers I mean CD, not GlyphX */. Which is a good thing. I think that Kain's calmness in the intro perfectly reflected his arrogance.
    I can understand the artist, because it makes one less of an artist and more of a craftsmen, but such is the nature of working under someone's supervision.

Now we just need vampire Zephon's renders .

I'm a tad confused by their comment. I, too, love the SR2 intro, have memorized it fully into my brain, and think it's one of the best rendered FMV ever to be made even to this day. I take nothing away from what GlyphX produced then, because it was far, far ahead of its time. Both this and even more so the original SR1 intro. So, I'm even more confused when it comes to the criticism laid out by one of their animators. Don't have Kain do anything exciting, just have him stand there?? When does Kain do that in the intro? Also, what did they want to do with him that would be so far more "exciting?" Did they read the script? Kain and Raziel have a LOT of dialogue here. It almost sounds like they wanted Kain in a fighting stance, throwing energy bombs and lightning bolts and jumping from tier to tier. While that would be great, and all, it certainly wouldn't juxtapose the dialogue being spoken, now would it? Kain certainly doesn't just "stand there," again, either.

Let's break it down:

The moment Raziel walks in, the dialogue of Kain begins and he is seen walking from the left side, upper tier of the room. He stops at a column before the first switch and goats, egging an already enraged Raziel on, and laughs at his rebuttal, pulls the first switch to the on position, and then revels, hand up in praise, at the cosmos, while the Chronoplast's mechanisms start spinning. He then continues his trek across the upper tier, stopping at the gate and showing off his idealism of what vampirism has become with the glowy energy ball he creates before continuing down the steps to the middle tier. All the while, his hand gestures and body movements are emphasizing each word. He heads over to the second switch and pulls it, continuing his dialogue that Raziel then picks apart and choosing the moment to attack. Kain grabs Raziel by the neck, stopping his head-long assault, pulls Raziel closer, before tossing him over the side like a rag doll. Kain drops down to the floor, where Raziel turns, gives one last speech, before attacking Kain again, pushing Kain all of the way to the wall of the third switch. Kain counters with a question of Raziel's own altruistic beliefs, and uses this moment to get the upper hand, TK-ing Raziel across the room. Kain calmly turns the third switch, laughing away Raziel's attempts all the while. As Raziel stirs, Kain acknowledges that Raziel did almost "have" him there, then Kain teleports to the upper tier in front of the now turned on gate. One last ominous statement, and Kain turns and he's off through the portal. Raziel follows.

Exactly when did Kain just "stand there" and do nothing exciting? And furthering my confusion is the praise for what they did with Moebius. What was so exciting and profound about that? Moebius takes two steps, sets his staff and smiles his snake-oil-salesman smile at Raziel. Is that more exciting than anything Kain did? Don't mistake my meaning, as Moebius, like everything else, looks great, but not any more so in the exciting, profound department than anything Kain or Raziel does. It's very confusing.

Look, the script dictates the action. The script is heavy in dialogue. These great characters have more to do than simply plunge head-long into confrontation. Raziel wants answers for why Kain did this and Kain wants Raziel to follow him, offering up riddles, new revelations, and goading condemnations to egg Raziel after him. The script doesn't dictate a full-on battle. Even so, they put in there Raziel's attack. Kain bests him, but it's all very fluid and not overstated. What more did they want to do?

I appreciate the talents of these people. I don't want to be overly critical of the statement, but it's just put out there. It would have been nice if this guy followed it up with a little explanation. Why bother to vent and trash the creative staff in the first pace, if you didn't want to get specific? They were asked, though, like any animation team for any director of a project, to bring the vision of the director to life. That's in the script, and it's in the direction the team gave them. So, what did they expect?

I am very curious, though, as to what exactly they wanted to do with the scene and would very much like to see an outline, or description of how they wanted to, or did, first animate it. As the scene stands, it's amazing what they did do. Kain's movements, gestures, looks, and everything just screams his regal, noble, powerful nature. The only part of what was stated I do agree with is the animation for Kain walking down the steps could have used work. It's the only spot that isn't natural. Kain's legs sort of glide step to step, while his hips and upper body don't follow the movement, and there's no weight change from shoulder to shoulder. That's the only spot that I can say, ok, that could have been improved. Can't say there's a moment otherwise, for me...