Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: Is Batman's moral code correct?

Is Batman's moral code correct?

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Propaganda comics at their finest. Anyhow Kevin Smith gave a pretty cool and simple reasoning why Batman shouldn't kill Joker, i really like it: "Joker would be gone for good. Gotham'd finally be safe... Just from him. Then there'd be the rest of the rogues to deal with - all of them jockeying to fill the void he'd leave. The post-Joker violence and terrorism would tear this city apart."

I like this explanation and i think it rings abit of truth. It's like killing the main mobster of a big crime family, and then you'd have all these other gangsters trying to take the head spot and gang wars would erupt more or less.
    That.

Originally Posted by The_Mad_Batter
    Actually, he does. On the Batwiki, it lists hitler as an enemy of Batman He fought the Justice League once. Check it out.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Adolf_Hitler

And you said Joker was special cuz he was insane. Hitler was insane too. He killed millions of people, practiced the frickin OCCULT, tested cyanide on his dog, and then shot himself after taking cyanide. If that's not insane, then what is?
    I don't think Hitler was insane, he was just evil incarnate. Joker does it just for the hell of it with no logical reason, wheras Hitler was just plain racist/ anti-semetic.
    Originally Posted by Batman
    If detective work were easy... everyone would be doing it.
    Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Was that... humor? Now I AM worried about you.

Originally Posted by batmanboy11
    I don't think Hitler was insane, he was just evil incarnate. Joker does it just for the hell of it with no logical reason, wheras Hitler was just plain racist/ anti-semetic.
    He was both.Completely and utterly both.

Regardless, let's focus on Batman and ignore that issue where he fought Hitler, and let's focus on Batman's rogues.

and him fighting Hitler isn't in continuity so technically...

it never happened BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Evil is subjective. Humanity in general, always seeks justification for their sins. The real horror of Joker is that he doesn't have any justification for his actions. He just does it for fun.

Hitler believed he was doing the right thing by purging the world of jews. Whatever insane justification he had - It would've made sense to him.
    Sometimes, doing something wrong is what it takes to do something right.

Originally Posted by freeze131
    Evil is subjective. Humanity in general, always seeks justification for their sins. The real horror of Joker is that he doesn't have any justification for his actions. He just does it for fun.

Hitler believed he was doing the right thing by purging the world of jews. Whatever insane justification he had - It would've made sense to him.
    Joker's motives make sense to him too...

Originally Posted by batmanboy11
    That.

And Hitler had a reason?
    I wonder where Batman keeps his Batarangs. Probable not in his utility belt. They might cut off something important.

It isn't. Killing these incurable crazy murderers would be the greater good. Having them live just causes civilian casaulties and terror

It's also a point that makes the series a bit uninteresting. It just goes in circles. Thankfully that hasn't happened to AA yet

I totally agree.
    I wonder where Batman keeps his Batarangs. Probable not in his utility belt. They might cut off something important.

morality is unquantifiablelolatpretentiousness

but nontheless I'll give my opinion:

The main discussion seems to be if batman existed in reality, which is funny becuase I find him to be the most unrealistic comic book character in history, in reality the Joker would have been sentenced to death or put in some reasonable containment facility. The Joker would have been delt with unless he fleed the country or someone would have killed him in self defense eventualy...these events would be followed by the FBI arresting Batman for breaking the law(exposing him as Bruce Wayne) Along with Gordon for his actions. In the end though trying to talk about batman in real life is like trying to talk about superman in real life. Batman looks idiotic in live action...it only looks cool/intimidating in the cartoon were everything is simple...and stylized...and fake. Almost all fiction is so far fetched when you think about...anything that's realistic has been seen in real life and no-one wants to see that in their escapism. Is Batman's moral code correct? Is spiderman's? his life is horriable most of the time should he have to have the guilt of killing added on? Hasn't batman been through enough? His parents died, Jason Todd died, Andrea died(in a sense), he's driven himself so far into his mission that all his relationships take a back seat to "what if they go bad?", must he really hold more blood in his hands?
    Take a third option...

Now I know this thread is a little old, and I haven't read EVERY post in here so it may have been mentioned by someone, but here is my take on why Batman cannot and will not ever kill without going insane. Now, granted that killing a person doesn't make you insane (cops, soldiers, self-defense), we're not talking about an average Joe either. We're talking about someone who saw with his own two eyes both his beloved parents shot to death and then left with their corpses out in some dark, cold alley. We're talking about someone who is quite possible insane in his own right already, or dangling so precariously on a thread of sanity that killing someone... ANYONE... Even The Joker, could result in his perception of reality being tarnished.

In the game "Arkham Asylum" he has a golden opportunity hand given to him by Joker to knock him off a platform and cause him to fall to his death. Batman draws his batarang and winds up, but then you can see the look in his face. I subscribe to the believe that Batman is "insane" in his own way, or rather he's just barely dangling onto his sanity... For some people, killing wouldn't be a problem and they wouldn't go insane... For Batman -- the person in question here, NOT normal people or ourselves as some people have used in the arguments -- and his messed up past, it'd be too much for his psyche to handle.

There's my two cents on the subject.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123