Page 4 of 4 First First 1234

Thread: Memorable moments; Thief 3 DS

Memorable moments; Thief 3 DS

The devs can't help but do cool things once in awhile. Even more when they aren't having their creative fire doused by too many tech constraints.

Burnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Dante

I really hate caps lock censoring.
    Dante

I enjoyed the dusty sparkles in the windows. It gave it a stylized, dark feel that I think could easily be carried into the next one.
    Calls The Serpents To The Heels Of My Foes! Calls The Ravens To Pecks Their Eyes!
    Calls The Jackals, Carry Thems Away. Their Children To Gnaw Bones In The Night!

I wish they could make external light coming through translucent/transparent windows that actually have another side facing outdoors, with outside light shining through and lighting up particles in the air, instead of a one-sided opaque window texture in a recess, an internal light source against the texture lighting it up from the inside, a see-through and non-solid object shaped like a shaft of light from the window to the floor, and particle emitters for the shafts of light within the moonbeam object and for the winking dust motes.

Mesmerizing, weren't they?

I concur, the Tyndall-phenomena were particularly marvellous. But it wasn't new in DS - MA, at the very least, had it.
    A burrick is for life, not just for Buildermas!

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    "Robbing the Cradle" is "Return to the Cathedral" remade. Both have strange and tough undead, creepy noises, helpful apparitions and the sudden but inevitable inability to escape. And an observatory. And a basement laboratory. And a basement generator that can be activated. And you need to fetch some mundane things to allow a friendly ghost to get to rest.

I dunno... maybe I'm just imagining the parallel... Even their initials "RttC" and "RtC" are similar.

Edit: Memorable moments of TDS...

-The news about the removal of rope arrows.
    -The return of Benny (Sinclair) and his funny conversations with others.
    -The first time of feeling like the loot is less valuable because of the changed loot sound.
    -The realization of the ridiculousness of the new noisemaker arrow design and after that the realization that you can't use broadheads as a substitute to the all-too-obvious distraction device.
    -The realization that walking silently behind someone is too loud but creeping on any surface is too quiet.
    -Being forced to murder someone to finish the 2nd official mission.
    -A guard with his sword safely held in it's sheath when being knocked out, somehow magically slipping the sword out of it's container, and the unconscious guard falling on his sword, dying.
    -Trying to buy stuff without fencing your loot and realizing that you need to fence even the cold hard cash.
    -Getting stuck inside a chest and having to restart the mission because the shorter frobbing distance on a money purse is hard-coded into the object.
    -The Haunt's death scream that almost redeemed the horrible overall re-design.
    -Gamall's deception. (Although foreseen in "Robbing the Cradle")
    -The Eye's return and Daniel Thron's familiar voicework.
    -Killing Gamall 5 times using the oil slick without reloading a save at any point.
    You liked Deadly Shadows then?
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    I probably would if I hadn't played the older ones too. If I wouldn't have anything better to compare to I would mistake bad things for good things.

Originally Posted by necrorus
    one of my most memorable (and kinda silly) moments in TDS was in the cradle. I had already played the game but never finished it, don't remember why. Anyway, I started the game again and finally got to the cradle, i already knew that the first part was all noises an ambient sounds so I didn't worry to much about it. When I got to the inner cradle I wasn't totally sure if there were zombies or something so I just walk like nothing could happen, until i saw something cross a doorway right in front of me, my instant reaction was to hide, so I did, and started to think what it was. When I poked my head around the corner one of those dreadful puppet things was running to me and already was to close to hide again. that made me jump out of my chair and actually scream i died that time and had to load. Th secon time I thought: "this time I'll kill YOU" and so I did, proceeding with my regular method of stabbing from behind and throwing holly water, I only got to stab him when another one came from nowhere running at me like always and again I jumped so in the end i learned my lesson. It was great fun though, I don't scare that easily.

mmmm quite a long story thanks for reading
    Jajajaaj, I cant tell you how many times that happened to me, not just in that level, its awesome, specially with the puppets, when the are running as fast as they can, they scare the crap out of me.

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    It depends on what you choose to read (a fraction) and what you choose to ignore (the bulk, the big picture). TDS has good stuff and bad stuff, and more bad stuff compared to the older titles. TDS is a good game but bad Thief. Really, it depends on what you, ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ, choose to get out of what we write, regardless of the facts, to amuse yourself or get worked up over for your very own reasons.

-Being forced to murder someone to finish the 2nd official mission.
    if you play the jacknalls paw mission on expert level, the pagan in question is in a locked room where in a locked basked the bronze beetle is.

there's a campfire in that room, but he dies not of the campfire, but seemingly of the greenish-cloudy orb. there's a video on youtube about that. i think the death of this pagan is a scripted event and supposed to always happen after you pass a certain point in the level, because it is possible to actually see him die, if you climb a pile of rubble outside that room and jump onto the wall.

if you however play that mission on any other level than expert, this pagan will not bee in that room. instead there will be a dead pagan in the tunnel complex leading to the cave of the paw. there is a note somewhere that reminds the pagans to always do the ritual of the root if they don't wanna get killed like that pagan in the tunnel.

Originally Posted by mvs
    if you play the jacknalls paw mission on expert level, the pagan in question is in a locked room where in a locked basked the bronze beetle is.
    I was about to mention this.

You didn't have to kill anyone in the Pagan Sanctuary. There is a ready-made dead body that you can set on the altar and stab to your heart's content.
    signature image

I'm still wondering why Garrett couldn't just poke himself with his shiny new worthless shiny cool dagger. Blood is blood.

Evil, creepy Cradle I stopped trying to kill the puppets. So it took me a long time and losts of saving and noisemakers. Defeating Gamall was fun too.

One flashbomb (two if the first one isn't direct enough) in TDS kills a puppet, Staff, zombie, Haunt... It's only in the Cradle's past, without weapons, where it's tricky to kill them indirectly, but of course, ghosting or refraining from releasing the undead from their captivity keeps it tense, since no AIs means no danger at all.

I'm still wondering why Garrett couldn't just poke himself with his shiny new worthless shiny cool dagger. Blood is blood.
    Pagan wichery?He didnt know how much blood did he? Or it must be pagan blood only. Or the game woudnt be as fun =P

Blood is blood, Plat's right. Jabbing himself would've made sense, but I can see why the devs wouldn't create a one-time scripted event involving the player-model and animation, etc. If someone wants a challenge, jab a Treebeast as it walks by the altar. If its blood splashes on the altar, it counts.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    Blood is blood, Plat's right. Jabbing himself would've made sense, but I can see why the devs wouldn't create a one-time scripted event involving the player-model and animation, etc. If someone wants a challenge, jab a Treebeast as it walks by the altar. If its blood splashes on the altar, it counts.
    Huh.

I always assumed they bled maple syrup.
    signature image

I thought it was about desecration, not blood.

Desecration? Do you mean that a pagan ritual includes something that involves blaspheming the Trickster in some way, for example by killing one of his woodsie minions?

Funny. All three games push the idea visually, verbally, and textually, that feeding blood to the earth and plants was a blessing, activated herby magic, and sealed oaths, though shedding the blood of manfools was the best. The pagans love feeding flesh and blood to the earth, especially of their enemies, but their own will do, when a small quantity, like a few drops, is needed.

-making friends with hammerite clan and using them as guards while running from assassains or stone monsters! I would run by, hide in the shadows and watch them sacrafice them selves for me

I know pretty much everything attacked assassains and stone monsters but my 'friends' the hammers would let me run right by them so they were the best. After they did some damage and if they started losing I would go out and help them finish off the baddies. Then if there were two or more 'good guys' it was fun to stand there and imagine they were talking to me when they said cool things like " we live to fight another day brother" ( don't quote my quote )

once there were a few ( i think 3 ) hammers with magic wands standing around and I would go find stone monsters in that part of the city and lure them to the mages. It was AWESOME.

Page 4 of 4 First First 1234