Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82

Thread: Congratulations Eidos / CD!

  1. #1

    Arrow Congratulations Eidos / CD!

    Congratulations Eidos / Crystal Dynamics... you've just alienated your Playstation fanbase!!!! What are you gonna do next!? (If you didn't get that via that it's text, it was sarcastic satire for winning the super bowl and going too Disneyland).

    First... you give TR Underworld exclusive DLC on the 360 regardless that it was the PS1 and PS2 that made the TR series popular in the first place. Then your next Lara Croft game isn't even really Tomb Raider.

    1. You give it a high 3rd person view similar to Diablo.
    2. You have Lara (a solo adventurer in ALL of her past games) team up with an ancient GOD?!
    3. You have it as download only!? WTH?!

    That's three strikes right there... but oh no... you had to do your Playstation fanbase one better by making the game 360 exclusive for a month.

    So I congratulate you Eidos / CD. You've alienated your Playstation fanbase. I will not be purchasing this game or any other future TR / Lara Croft game. I've been a fan since the very first game came out and have purchased all her console games... on Playstation systems.

    I'm done with you guys and this series which you've officially ruined.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,316
    The period of exclusivity for Xbox 360 is a part of the promotion. You should understand that it's a big deal for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light to be the part of Summer of Arcade. Microsoft, unlike Sony, is very excited about the game and wants to support it! What is wrong in that? It is not a permanent exclusivity, four weeks is not an eternity. I'm sure that people who are really looking forward to the game will manage to be a bit more patient.

    As for the other strikes, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a new approach to the TR series. It is not a full Tomb Raider game, that's why Tomb Raider is not in the title. Crystal Dynamics wanted to release an arcade game involving co-op mode, and Lara doesn't team up with an ancient GOD but with a Mayan Tribesman, Totec. I don't know if you have seen some footage from the game, but it sure looks cool. You ought to give it a try and you'll see how much fun it is.
    As for the future of the Tomb Raider series, the other team in Crystal Dynamics are unofficially working on Tomb Raider 9 which will be the full game with 3rd person perspective and I'm sure it will be released on discs.
    There's really no need to get upset about the whole xbox 360 exclusivity, it's a good promotion for the game.
    Cheer up mate!

  3. #3
    You are so right Telekill... They are destroying all the franchise

  4. #4
    What about the PC players, are they less important? They were there at the beginning of it all as well, you know.

    Considering the amount of interest Sony is showing towards TR lately (seems like almost none whatsover, they got their precious exclusive Uncharted now, right?), be glad it´s still coming to the PS3.
    signature image

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekill View Post
    Congratulations Eidos / Crystal Dynamics... you've just alienated your Playstation fanbase!!!! What are you gonna do next!? (If you didn't get that via that it's text, it was sarcastic satire for winning the super bowl and going too Disneyland).

    First... you give TR Underworld exclusive DLC on the 360 regardless that it was the PS1 and PS2 that made the TR series popular in the first place. Then your next Lara Croft game isn't even really Tomb Raider.

    1. You give it a high 3rd person view similar to Diablo.
    2. You have Lara (a solo adventurer in ALL of her past games) team up with an ancient GOD?!
    3. You have it as download only!? WTH?!

    That's three strikes right there... but oh no... you had to do your Playstation fanbase one better by making the game 360 exclusive for a month.

    So I congratulate you Eidos / CD. You've alienated your Playstation fanbase. I will not be purchasing this game or any other future TR / Lara Croft game. I've been a fan since the very first game came out and have purchased all her console games... on Playstation systems.

    I'm done with you guys and this series which you've officially ruined.
    Who are you to dictate what games Crystal Dynamics are allowed to make? So they want to make a successful game staring Lara Croft, that is not a Tomb Raider game and it is obviously not to your taste, big deal, your opinion is not going to be shared by too many gamers. We were told to expect the game late Summer, and 2 of the 3 platforms are getting it late summer, Microsoft were willing to not only release the game earlier but were actually enthusiastic enough to include GOL as one of the Summer of Arcade titles. Microsoft think GOL is something special, they are willing to invest their money in promoting the game and trying to get more people interested in playing it. Quite a contrast to some Tomb Raider fans who bad mouth the game without ever even playing it. So far we have got nothing but great reviews from those open minded enough to actually play the game before judging it.

    Whatever Sony might have done in the past to ride on the success of Tomb Raider and sell more PS1's they obviously lost interest when they tried the same thing with AOD and it backfired, they were only willing to support Tomb Raider while it was successful enough to sell their consoles. 3 out of 9 Tomb Raider games were exclusive to Sony consoles, not even half. They were not the first console to have a Tomb Raider game, Sony jumped in late and got exclusives for TR2 and TR3. You want to buy a console just because it is made by Sony that is up to you, they have not always had the best version of the Tomb Raider games though, the Dreamcast versions were far superior to the PS1 versions. A lot of us updated to an XBox 360 in order to play the next gen Legend, but Sony fanboys were happy with the inferior PS2 version, that says something about what they were the fans of most.

    Microsoft and their Xbox 360 being the newbies are willing to invest in Tomb Raider, Sony feel they no longer need to do anything to keep their Tomb Raider fans, they offer you nothing! And still you prefer playing the game on the PS3, which is no better graphically than the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 got the first Tomb Raider made for this generation of consoles, offered TRA early as DLC for Legend. Microsoft offered their Xbox 360 players exclusive DLC for TRU they were willing to go out of their way to provide. And yes they did it again with GOL, being willing to release the game early and promote it as part of their Summer of Arcade in order to get a timed exclusive. Sony has done nothing yet to compete against the Xbox 360, they will wait for Tomb Raider to become a hit again. It would serve them right if by that time the Xbox 360 did have more Tomb Raider players than the PS3.

    And yes I will be playing the game mainly on my PS3, but that is only because they offer free online play. I will try it out on the Xbox 360, I find the service significantly better to justify the cost I will not hesitate to only buy TR9 for the Xbox 360. I will buy the Tomb Raider games for whatever console has the best version, I blindly follow no brand name. I am a Tomb Raider fan first!
    Emma Watson would make a great Lara, and a British actress should play a British icon!

  6. #6

    Smile

    Sony have had the best days of Tomb Raider... it's rise to a phenomenon... mostly thanks to the Playstation & PC loyal TR fanbase. TR as a brand, helped sell & advertise a platform then & that has overall completely changed now. Sony, isn't it would seem that interested in TR as a brand anymore.. it hasn't been given any reason to be.

    Those days of Tomb Raider being highly respected & truly critically acclaimed have past... it can never relive the days of it's rapid rise to fame. Sony & the PC have already had the best days of Tomb Raider, when it was actually seen as an important title. It's Microsoft's turn now with this Crystal D period... hmmm...

    For those that are in the delay group I would advise to tell yourselves that you're getting GOL anyway. Just accept it will be a little later... avoid the forums in order to avoid any spoilers & still enjoy the build up & the game itself... if you actually still buy it.

    I own both a PS3 & 360 but I shall wait for the PSN release nevertheless. I have so many more TR fans as friends on that system compared to those on the 360... which will be better for the co-op. I've been a fan & have supported TR since it began... it's seen better days... I truly hope that will change with GOL & more importantly with TRIX, to be seen as important again.

    Leave Eidos/Crystal-D to dig their own hole & to face any consequences... if indeed there are any at all... time will reveal all?

    Please accept the delay... try not to react & just enjoy the game when it arrives.
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor1 View Post
    You are so right Telekill... They are destroying all the franchise
    But keeping the series the same will hurt it even more than a change. Actually, to me GOL looks more interesting to play than Underworld. In fact, this is --in away-- shown by the way people have embraced it and the nominations the games got. When did a TR game last get a positive reception?

    But back to the topic - I am loving the idea she has a companion, some nice interaction that the series for me needs. Granted I'm the kinda person who loves change and would rather play it dangerously than safe so I suppose this helps my view out.

  8. #8
    I don't think that the Tomb Raider series has gone down. Crystal's Tomb Raider games are probably the best games I've played, and I really like that the company is trying out new ideas, and especially with Multiplayer, now fans can play together.

    Going back to the second player. I don't believe the character was ever created to challenge Lara Croft, and it was a good choice for a second player. Plus, it has been mentioned before that there is a single player option in the game, the player isn't forced to play with someone else.

    In the end, the game is about £10, which is a good price for a game that lasts several hours, and has a single player and multiplayer function. I've played Popcap games that were more expensive and shorter then this game. In my opinion think you're going to be losing out for abandoning the series now. And I'm a PC owner. I'm in the same boat as you, we just have to wait a few extra weeks to play a game.
    My Tomb Raider Fansite, often distracted by shiny things.Click Here for Guns and Grapple

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    207
    well..cd thought it's much easier to work on 360 because it's a dvd system..ps3 is a blue ray system which needs 4 times more work on because of the space of the blue ray discs..so they just made the games based on 360's..as for uncharted naughty dog made it clear that the tiny space of the dvds doesn't support uncharted by far..that explains why uncharted is such a great game and it's not about exclusiveness..it's about that ps3 is more powerful and 360 can't support uncharted..as for tr now i say yes..but it's cd fault not sony's..guys the answer is oblivious..it's just this (blue ray against dvd's?? come on now! they just don't like to work more on the game..

  10. #10
    As for the game being downloadable only, I can only say !YAY!
    I am SO over the need for lots of disks cluttering up my house. I play the downloaded games much more than the disc games because they mean getting up, finding the disk, putting it in etc rather than just, turn on, play.
    MORE Downloadable full games please! Its better for the environment too. Cheaper to retail, and that means cheaper end game prices.
    Only people who lose is the local Game/blockbuster and as the previous owner of an independent game shop put out of business by Blockbuster opening next door, I give them their own advice back, if you cant compete, tough!

  11. #11
    Aussie... TR has had EVERY console game be on a Playstation system. That shows to me that Sony has supported it. I've also purchased EVERY TR game for said Playstation systems. So yeah... the Playstation and PC userbase are getting screwed over. Sorry you cant see that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TF.Denis View Post
    well..cd thought it's much easier to work on 360 because it's a dvd system..ps3 is a blue ray system which needs 4 times more work on because of the space of the blue ray discs..so they just made the games based on 360's...
    I dont think you understand what you're saying. A blank DVD and a blank Blu-ray are basically just digital storage space. Blu-ray's hold a lot more space than a DVD, and considering that Eidos / Crystal Dynamics have in fact made PS3 games, we know they have access to Blu-ray disc burners. That's really all they need.

    Which btw... the game is download only.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekill View Post
    Aussie... TR has had EVERY console game be on a Playstation system. That shows to me that Sony has supported it. I've also purchased EVERY TR game for said Playstation systems. So yeah... the Playstation and PC userbase are getting screwed over. Sorry you cant see that.
    Actually Aussie is correct, sure Tomb Raider has continued to be released on Sony consoles but since the whole phenomenon died down they haven't gone out of their way to support the franchise. It's been Microsoft who have been helping with the ad campaigns and exclusivity deals (which in turn helps to finance the developers) for Underworld and with the special "Summer of Arcade" event they're helping to promote Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light to a wider audience.

    Actually come to think of it TR4 was in fact supported by Sega as well as Sony, and the Dreamcast version got improved graphics, sound as well as getting a few exclusive extras too. Also like Microsoft, Sega were the ones helping with the ad campaigns, so it's not like this hasn't happened before.

    Oh and Sega originally made a deal to release the original TR on the Saturn a month earlier than anyone else, so the more you know!

    Microsoft's tactics are no different to what Sony did with TR2 and 3 (and what Sega did with TR1 and TR4) so I don't see why you're so angry. If you're so disappointed about all this take it out on Sony for not showing much interested in the series anymore.

  13. #13
    Yes, TR was released on Saturn which quickly disappeared.. Tomb Raider's rapid rise in popularity wasn't until it was on the PC & Sony Playstation...
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    Yes, TR was released on Saturn which quickly disappeared.. Tomb Raider's rapid rise in popularity wasn't until it was on the PC & Sony Playstation...
    Oh I know that but still I was just pointing out that throughout the years, quite a few companies have supported the series with timed exclusives and what have you. I respect Sony for helping TR become quite popular in the 90's but at the same time you can't exactly be angry when another company decides to show support for the series after the other one decides to move on. This sort of thing isn't new especially when it comes to Tomb Raider, as I've mentioned in my previous post.

    Sure it may be a inconvenience for some but at least it's only a timed exclusive. Just imagine how Saturn owners felt when Sony made sure that only the Playstation (and PC) owners could get the future titles up until The Last Revelation. Sony may have supported the franchise back then but they've decided not to now and that's the important thing.

    (Oh and before anyone says this post is biased because I'm a 360 owner, I grew up with the Playstaion, Dreamcast and PS2 so I've never been devoted to one console or company...I would also love to own a PS3 as well. And even if I didn't own a 360 I would still feel the same way and be grateful that Microsoft has decided to support the series because someone has to!).

  15. #15
    I understood your point quite well... I also understand this partnership from an immediate business stand point... Like I said...

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    Sony have had the best days of Tomb Raider... it's rise to a phenomenon... mostly thanks to the Playstation & PC loyal TR fanbase. TR as a brand, helped sell & advertise a platform then & that has overall completely changed now. Sony, isn't it would seem that interested in TR as a brand anymore.. it hasn't been given any reason to be.

    Those days of Tomb Raider being highly respected & truly critically acclaimed have past... it can never relive the days of it's rapid rise to fame. Sony & the PC have already had the best days of Tomb Raider, when it was actually seen as an important title. It's Microsoft's turn now with this Crystal D period... hmmm...

    For those that are in the delay group I would advise to tell yourselves that you're getting GOL anyway. Just accept it will be a little later... avoid the forums in order to avoid any spoilers & still enjoy the build up & the game itself... if you actually still buy it.

    I own both a PS3 & 360 but I shall wait for the PSN release nevertheless. I have so many more TR fans as friends on that system compared to those on the 360... which will be better for the co-op. I've been a fan & have supported TR since it began... it's seen better days... I truly hope that will change with GOL & more importantly with TRIX, to be seen as important again.

    Leave Eidos/Crystal-D to dig their own hole & to face any consequences... if indeed there are any at all... time will reveal all?

    Please accept the delay... try not to react & just enjoy the game when it arrives.
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  16. #16
    I did read your post but because I was too determined to explain my previous point more clearly I forgot to explain that my last post wasn't generally aimed at you (although to be fair I did use your quote) but it was just to explain in more depth how Sony took TR away from Sega so it's not like Eidos haven't switched companies for exclusivity deals before. Sorry for any confusion.

  17. #17

    Smile

    No need to apologise... I should have really also indicated that I understood your line of thought in my response to your original post.
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  18. #18
    Puts , eu acho ridiculo isso que vocês estão fazendo , apenas 4 semanas de diferença , e uma parceria , ou seja , tem que ser comprido , eu tenho o Xbox 360 e concordo com essas 4 semanas XD

  19. #19

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Portal Croft View Post
    Puts , eu acho ridiculo isso que vocês estão fazendo , apenas 4 semanas de diferença , e uma parceria , ou seja , tem que ser comprido , eu tenho o Xbox 360 e concordo com essas 4 semanas XD

    Eu acho ridiculo as 4 semanas de diferença
    Não tenho xbox e honestamente não está nos meus futuros planos.

    Tenho TR apenas para pc. E este também irá ser.
    Mas sinceramente não acho justo , mas pronto




    (i think its ridiculous this four weeks apart
    i dont have an xbox and honestly its not in my future plans
    I have TR only for pc, and this it will be the same
    But truly i dont think its fair ... oh well)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    Yes, TR was released on Saturn which quickly disappeared.. Tomb Raider's rapid rise in popularity wasn't until it was on the PC & Sony Playstation...
    Actually a lot of TR1's early advertising and promotion work was done by Sega and all the previews and reviews done of the Sega version of the game. Sony (USA I think, although it could have been EU) initially did not even want that game, they turned it down. Sega fans were very enthusiastic about Tomb Raider and everyone was looking forward to playing Tomb Raider 2 on the Sega Saturn, till Sony stepped in and got their exclusive for TR2 and TR3. The only reason people associate Tomb Raider with Sony more is because of that exclusive deal, otherwise the Tomb Raider games would have been available on every platform capable of playing it, just like it is now. No not everyone had a PS1, some chose Nintendo or Sega consoles, the early Tomb Raider games would have sold well no matter what platform they were released on, so I doubt Sony were really doing Tomb Raider any favours trying to keep the franchise to themselves. At least Microsoft is not asking for the games themselves to be exclusive, they are just trying to undercut the sales of the PS3 version by offering extra incentives to buy the 360 version.

    A little healthy competition (if Sony ever regain interest) is only going to be to our advantage, especially for those with both consoles. Whether some get the game early, or some get something extra that would otherwise not be available it does not seem a reason to complain to me, be jealous maybe yes. They both offer us different incentives it would be even better. It is like retailers trying to get you to buy the game from them by offering pre-order extras, really did anyone ever complain about something someone else was offering, just because they could not get it, for being in the wrong state, or wrong country? If 2 game retailers offered really good incentives in your area do you not think they both sold more copies of the game as fans tried to get everything? Did the fans have cause to complain someone was willing to pay to have these extra incentives? The retailers pay for those pre-order goodies themselves, just to try and get more to buy the game from their stores, rather than someone else. The competition is no different with PSN and XBL. Unfortunately it seems no one is that interested in trying to tempt the PC fans, and at least for the moment Sony is not worried about Microsoft getting yet more Tomb Raider fans. You watch that change if TR9 sells 5 million in the first month, wave some money in front of Sony and they will quickly jump on the Tomb Raider band wagon again. The Uncharted games are different enough they would not worry that much about promoting Tomb Raider more if they thought they could make a lot of money out of it.
    Emma Watson would make a great Lara, and a British actress should play a British icon!

  21. #21

    Smile

    Firstly... no matter which way you wish to spin it, the fact still remains that the first Tomb Raider game did not sell a huge amount until it was on the Playstation & PC. The combination of both, Tomb Raider (revolutionary new 3D game) & Playstation (The big brand new console on the block), was beneficial to one another. I believe this partnership contributed somewhat to the sales of both products. I also believe that Nintendo may have not been overly interested due to very strict guidelines on what was published on that system, at that time. I think the Playstation's success was because it widened the gaming demographic & type of content it provided.

    Microsoft, would have to offer a great deal I imagine for Eidos to consider full 360 exclusivity. I doubt it has anything to do with MS being all fair & moral... More like Eidos not wanting to cut Tomb Raider sales by over half & at the same time potentially losing half of the fanbase... but hey, this is Eidos we're talking about so who knows..?

    Secondly, if you had read what I had previously said you would also know that I understand this new MS partnership... from an immediate business standpoint. Sony & PC have already had the best days of the Tomb Raider brand, when it was considered as hot property, & now it's obviously Microsoft's turn. Like I said before in my original post, it would seem that Sony isn't interested in Tomb Raider beyond the call of duty. They have no reason to be sadly as it stands... & the PS3 still gets it at the end of the day regardless.

    I hope to see Tomb Raider taken in a more serious way once again, genuinely critically & truly by the audience (fans & most importantly none fans). Maybe... just maybe, GOL & more crucially Tomb Raider IX is hopefully a step in that positive brand building direction. In TR forums all criticism is often misunderstood... immediately interpreted as an attack when in fact some can also be from a place of respect... Respect for Tomb Raider, not Sony, Eidos or Microsoft & so forth... simply Tomb Raider itself. A place from which one desperately wants & desires to see Tomb Raider at the top of it's game. If TRIX following after GOL got the attention of Sony again, regardless of the outcome, I would see that as a great sign for the future of theTomb Raider brand.

    Thirdly... as you should know if you had taken the time to really read my comment, I don't think this exclusive 360 period should effect anyone's anticipation: I try to strike a balance between logic, business side, & fan stand point, feeling & reaction, when expressing what I think. I'm lucky in the sense that I have a choice being an an owner of a PS3 & 360. However, I shall still choose the PS3 version of GOL, primarily down to knowing many more TR fans on the PS3. The co-op mode in GOL is what interests me about the game, so for me personally, I will get the best GOL experience on the PS3 because I know more TR fans on that system.

    Like I previously conveyed & still stand by:

    "For those that are in the delay group I would advise to tell yourselves that you're getting GOL anyway. Just accept it will be a little later... avoid the forums in order to avoid any spoilers & still enjoy the build up & the game itself... if you actually still buy it. Leave Eidos/Crystal-D to dig their own hole & to face any consequences... if indeed there are any at all... Please simply accept the delay... try not to react & just enjoy the game when it arrives."
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    Sony & PC have already had the best days of the Tomb Raider brand, when it was considered as hot property, & now it's obviously Microsoft's turn.
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Let's not forget that Sony PlayStation also played a part in Tomb Raider series downfall. Rumour has it that Sony was rushing Eidos and because of that Core Design was rushed by its publisher. I think we all know how it affected AOD, don't we?
    Let us hope that a much brighter future is yet to come for Lara, because she well deserves it.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    I'm lucky in the sense that I have a choice being an an owner of a PS3 & 360. However, I shall still choose the PS3 version of GOL, primarily down to knowing many more TR fans on the PS3.
    Someone's getting repetitive.
    I thought that Tomb Raider is the most important and not the platform you are playing it on. Something tells me that there's something more to it than just the amount of friends on PSN.

  23. #23
    So if TR got big because of Sony's support, does that mean they have the exclusive rights to the series no matter what? Even if their support seems to be completely gone or at least outshined by Microsoft's?

    That's just ridiculous. It reeks of fanboyism if you ask me.
    signature image

  24. #24

    Cool

    You two didn't read what I said at all.. & then processed it, did you... I guess the mind does see exactly what it wants to see. I would explain why you've chosen to misunderstand but hey... I'd be just repeating myself... unlike others...

    Awaits incoming...
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,751
    I wouldn't blame Eidos or CD. If Sony isnt interestedin TR than another company who is should get exclusives and earlier release dates, etc.

    As for the new view, stop complaining about it. Every preview I've seen has been positive and praised the game. The Core fans are so close-minded: the 90's arent coming back.if TR was like that, it not even be able to compete with the games of today.
    signature image

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •