Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: What made Deus Ex great?

What made Deus Ex great?

What made Deus Ex great?

Was it the skill system? No. The skill system was really poorly a balanced with unclear rewards for different levels of skill, and costs that didn't quite match up to the skill's usefulness.

Was it the resource management system? Not especially. When you hit the Carrying Caps for the resources you used you'd probably never run down to the point where you had to make any hard choices about using items.

Was it the dialogue? Not really. Most of the political and philosophical discussions felt like talking to my stoner roomate, and the voice acting ranges from passable to actually offensive.

So what mad Deus Ex great? It was level design that enshrined multiple solutions, and environments and plot events that were highly reactive (for the time) when it came to player action.

Stop getting hung up on whether or not you'll be able to spam medkits.

Anyway I'm probably banned.

Cool, you just listed the things that specifically made Deus Ex groundbreaking as unimportant.

My favorite part of DX was you getting banned for trollololing.
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Romeo, do you get a special "Hat-Trick!" when you lockdown 3 or more threads in a row like this?!?!? Now with your energy level as it is, you could, like, preform a special take-down move or something.

Originally Posted by Angel-A
    My favorite part of DX was you getting banned for trollololing.
    Ah man, I loved that part! Can we see it again please daddy? Please?

Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    Romeo, do you get a special "Hat-Trick!" when you lockdown 3 or more threads in a row like this?!?!? Now with your energy level as it is, you could, like, preform a special take-down move or something.
    I lol'd.

It's funny that I saw "adandonware" under the OP's name right as a posted too!

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Ah man, I loved that part! Can we see it again please daddy? Please?
    Oh...!

Wait...!

Here it comes...!

YEAH
    He's bant. That was cool.
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

We all have different reasons why.

Originally Posted by xcrcmiced
    Was it the dialogue? Not really. Most of the political and philosophical discussions felt like talking to my stoner roomate
    You lost me there. The conversation with Morpheus is probably one of the single most powerful and significant discourses in the history of video games.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

The conversations right from the beginning were above anything I'd seen before. And by the end of Liberty Island, when you talk with the NSF boss, and you begin to see things are not as clear as they were a few minutes earlier...

Yeah, the game was quite special, and conversations played a huge roll in that.

Ps. Glad he's gone.
    signature image

Your critiques of Deus Ex were spot on.

For me, what made Deus Ex great was how literate it was. This is without a doubt the smartest game ever made. It has thoughtful interpretations of literary, philosophical, and political projects. Even those few games that make reference to philosophy usually only do so with some clunky quotes or whatnot. Deus Ex actually engaged with the Western philosophical canon, playing and juxtaposing ideas like Bakhtinian literary criticism and Dawkins meme theory. The conversation with Morpheus alone is more insightful than any full video game yet made.

When it comes to addressing Deus Ex's success, I'd have to go with level design. The levels were large, thoroughly detailed (for the time), and alive. Most importantly, every major level afforded the opportunity to use whatever skill you were invested in. Very few games give you quite the same freedom, fewer still that manage to preserve a tight, compelling narrative.

Originally Posted by TrickyVein

Originally Posted by Mr. K
    LOL

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    The conversations right from the beginning were above anything I'd seen before. And by the end of Liberty Island, when you talk with the NSF boss, and you begin to see things are not as clear as they were a few minutes earlier...

Yeah, the game was quite special, and conversations played a huge roll in that.

Ps. Glad he's gone.
    Agreed.

Klarkans

Originally Posted by tartarus_sauce
    Your critiques of Deus Ex were spot on.

For me, what made Deus Ex great was how literate it was. This is without a doubt the smartest game ever made. It has thoughtful interpretations of literary, philosophical, and political projects. Even those few games that make reference to philosophy usually only do so with some clunky quotes or whatnot. Deus Ex actually engaged with the Western philosophical canon, playing and juxtaposing ideas like Bakhtinian literary criticism and Dawkins meme theory. The conversation with Morpheus alone is more insightful than any full video game yet made.

When it comes to addressing Deus Ex's success, I'd have to go with level design. The levels were large, thoroughly detailed (for the time), and alive. Most importantly, every major level afforded the opportunity to use whatever skill you were invested in. Very few games give you quite the same freedom, fewer still that manage to preserve a tight, compelling narrative.
    signature image

For me, it was the whole atmosphere.
    Which is a conglomerate of the setting, design (level and graphics), dialogue and philosophy.

Also, the whole conspiracy idea - somewhere between downright crazy and at times thought-provoking.

Of course I found the augmentation concept simply cool. :-D

Cool

Goes against the current

Does not follow a predictable course

You can play stealth being the nice guy or can play run & gun being the bad guy

For me it was 5 things.

1. The cyberpunk universe, I've always had a soft spot for cyberpunk, wish more games used it.
    2. The good story, and had a decent length too. Many locations to visit and it takes a while to play thru the game.
    3. The skill point and inventory system. Not optional in any way, but I sure prefer it over nothing.
    4. The open nature of the levels, you could proceed in a number of different ways and styles.
    5. The large levels, they were gigantic. I love how when you visit the apartment of Maggie Chow, you can get down to the streets, for example, in any other game that would have been separate levels. But this sort of thing makes the game feel more "alive", and I value that in a game a lot. It makes the game more immersive.

I think my "perfect" game would be something of a mix between Deus Ex and Fallout 3. I would love to see a cyberpunk game like Deus Ex, but in an open explorable gameworld like Fallout 3.

I re-installed two days ago to revisit this classic game to examine what made it so awesome.
    Although I think the inventory/resource system is top notch aswell. Resource scarcity makes exploration rewarding. And also forces you to vary your tactics.

Also having an overlapping skill/aug system made character customization remarkably in depth for a shooter.

But level design! That's where this game becomes REALLY inspired. MANY different ways into a location makes things so much better! There should be a class on level design with this game for homework. Even in 10 years since I would say this game is still champ is this regard.

And I totally found something new on, like, my 8th playthrough. I never knew that, at the helipad before Lebedev's jet, that you could tap the phone and listen to a conversation about you...found that last night...and it was awesome.
    お前は俺を知らない、俺を知ることができない。

Ooh that is cool!
    Yeah, little easter eggs are ALL over the place, be it datapads, newspapers, lines of dialogue for doing something, tons of little treasure nooks, etc...
    What other game can generate 8 playthroughs?

Tetris.
    DXHR: 11/10 GOTY EVERY YEAR ALL YEARS. USA CANADA IS DOMINATE!
    THIS SIGNATURE COULD HAVE BEEN HIGHLIGHTED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.

Originally Posted by Red
    Tetris.
    Amen brother
    "Jensen if you even think of using that CASIE aug on me I will hit you." -Malik

Originally Posted by Red
    Tetris.
    But did you really play it to the end on all those playthroughs? :P

Yes. Every time I've played it I got to the "Game Over" screen/sign/text. No exceptions.
    DXHR: 11/10 GOTY EVERY YEAR ALL YEARS. USA CANADA IS DOMINATE!
    THIS SIGNATURE COULD HAVE BEEN HIGHLIGHTED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last