Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Thread: PC version identical to console versions

PC version identical to console versions

PC version identical to console versions

they'd damn well better make it playable without a gamepad on PC

Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by kud13
    they'd damn well better make it playable without a gamepad on PC
    I agree, most of pc owners dont want to use some :-@ gamepad.
    Go for the eyes bo! Go for the eyes!!

Oh come on, of course you will be able to use a keyboard+mouse combo on PC, but gameplay will undoubtedly feel gimped.

Also, I expect HUGE FONTS YOU CAN SEE FROM YOUR COUCH.

Ouch. Good call, 50-people-who-said-this-back-in-the-day.

I'm not so worried about the HUGE FONTS, I'm more worried about the menu systems being designed for control pad and hence being incredibly unintuitive on PC, a la Borderlands and Alpha Protocol (actually really enjoying Alpha Protocol overall, but why do I have to click - for instance - the "Barrel" slot on the weapon customisation menu, then click submit? Why can't I just double click the barrel slot? And why do I have to exit all the way out to the PDA's front-end menu before I can exit the PDA? If I press M to view the map / objectives screen, I should be able to press M again to close it, rather than having to click "back" to go back to the PDA front end and then pressing TAB to close that. Anyway, brief rant over.)

This isn't a surprise at all - as AaronJ said, most of us called this over a year ago - but it's still another in an increasingly long line of disappointments.

Well, it did disappoint me, as the early info suggested the PC version was the lead one.

Would anyone like to represent the line of disappointment using ASCII code?

I would hope it also doesn't mean that the PC version will look no better than the consoles.
    I remember the first time I was about to play IW,I had such a bad feeling before it started because of the low resolution of the flash screens.God I truly hope another IW isn't about to be pulled on us.
    If you want to make enemies, dumb something down

Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    Well, it did disappoint me, as the early info suggested the PC version was the lead one.
    They always say this with old PC franchises. It is the easiest marketing trick in the book. That way you don't immediatly scare off the old PC gamers. When they have confirmed that the PC is no longer the lead platform the next marketing trick is to say that there is a team working exclusively on the PC version in order to ensure that it is good. What they mean is that two guys will take a look at the UI after the game is completed and just switch the names of the buttons used and add mouse support. Also the HD space required will be jacked up with 9 extra gigs.

It really shouldn't have come as a surprise. All the earliest previews were on the Xbox. The demo was on the Xbox. Dugas and co generally refer to console controller buttons when talking about the game. Several devs have stated that the console is their favorite platform in various interviews.

My biggest concerns when a PC game is ported is that the menu navigation is generally piss-poor. Controls for character movement are poor. Hotkey set-up is limited to what can fit on a controller. And in the worst cases level design is poor.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by xsamitt
    I would hope it also doesn't mean that the PC version will look no better than the consoles.
    I remember the first time I was about to play IW,I had such a bad feeling before it started because of the low resolution of the flash screens.God I truly hope another IW isn't about to be pulled on us.
    Graphics are the least of my concerns, really. It's the gameplay and interface I'm scared about.

Graphics are the least of my concerns, really. It's the gameplay and interface I'm scared about.
    Agree with you there.IW was terrible for that too.
    If you want to make enemies, dumb something down

this is an extremely useless panic thread about a blurb that has no actual information on it. we knew they had this approach all along. they profess to be working on the three platforms in paralell... so what? how does that mean anything worth an "uh-oh" thread?

The worst parts about DX:IW were the technical limitations of the original Xbox imposed on the PC version. Crappy low resolution textures, and frustratingly small level sizes (remember the bar in Germany?). I don't remember if I'm missing anything else that was a direct consequence of making the game for Xbox primarily (discounting the changes that were aimed at that target audience), but the possible good news is that if they are making it for all three simultaneously, then maybe the uniqueness of the PC will still be utilized. It would be great if they had higher resolution textures as an option for the PC for high settings. I think with IW they didn't save the higher res original textures and so had to use the Xbox textures for PC. As long as they are managing their assets, they have no excuse to not offer the option of more detailed graphics. What we've seen so far looks great though, so I'm not too worried there. As long as they don't start "optimizing" it to run better on the consoles which also limits the PC's potential.

Edit: I forgot about the atrocious level loading times. They didn't optimize for the PC's greater capacity for memory.

Originally Posted by InGroove2
    this is an extremely useless panic thread about a blurb that has no actual information on it. we knew they had this approach all along. they profess to be working on the three platforms in paralell... so what? how does that mean anything worth an "uh-oh" thread?
    Maybe... but we'll all get the same experience? I'm not too sure how I feel about that statement or what exactly it is supposed to mean...
    "It looks like Adam is stalking a fat S&M enthusiast with a leaf blower. http://www.abload.de/img/6dmut.jpg" spm1138

Originally Posted by PenguinsFriend
    Maybe... but we'll all get the same experience? I'm not too sure how I feel about that statement or what exactly it is supposed to mean...
    maybe it's just me, but it seems blatantly obvious that its a meaningless statement meant to put a warm blanket on any idea that the console people will be frustrated because the PC to console port will suck... and to the PC people that the console to PC port will suck. i.e. they're not porting anything in the traditional 'port after the fact' way. i can't see any reason to think it would mean anythingother than that.

maybe it's just me, but it seems blatantly obvious that its a meaningless statement meant to put a warm blanket on any idea that the console people will be frustrated because the PC to console port will suck... and to the PC people that the console to PC port will suck. i.e. they're not porting anything in the traditional 'port after the fact' way. i can't see any reason to think it would mean anythingother than that.
    I like your hope laden post better than the slight knot of worry that had been building in my gut - so I'm gonna climb on your bandwagon... move over and make some room, please.
    "It looks like Adam is stalking a fat S&M enthusiast with a leaf blower. http://www.abload.de/img/6dmut.jpg" spm1138

I see this as yet another contradiction to what we were told (I won't use the word promised) in the beginning.

Consider these claims:

"You'll be getting a dedicated developer's blog, and we'll be interacting with the community routinely to get your input."

Nope.

"Third-person camera is contextual, and players won't be forced to use it."

Only if you decide not to: a) climb ladders b) use melee c) come within 10 feet of a wall.

"PC is the only confirmed platform for release."

Which became...

"DX:HR is being released cross-platform, but PC is the focus."

Which became...

"The experience will be the same on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The same mechanics – everything is the same."

At this point I don't believe a word these guys say anymore.

i can't see any reason to think it would mean anythingother than that.
    Because no game where they mentioned "simultaneous development" of different platforms turned out to be anything less than a port from another platform?
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    I see this as yet another contradiction to what we were told (I won't use the word promised) in the beginning.

Consider these claims:

"You'll be getting a dedicated developer's blog, and we'll be interacting with the community routinely to get your input."

Nope.

Only if you decide not to: a) climb ladders b) use melee c) come within 10 feet of a wall.

Which became...

Which became...

"The experience will be the same on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The same mechanics – everything is the same."

FYI - You have to push a button when next to a wall to enter into 3rd person view...

Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix

Consider these claims:

Nope.

Which became...

Which became...

but your lineage there... is a fallacy. the last line doesn't refute the line baout PC being the focus. it just says that they're not gonna make the game for PC and THEN port it late in the game. none of that means the PC isn't the focus. in fact the last line of that blurb

""I used to work on previous games where we had lead platforms, and when we were close to the release date, we had to do a port," he added. "And believe me, you don’t want to do that.""

tells me that his comment about the EXPERIENCE being the same is directly a result of this... that normally ports are made after the game and therefore rushed and suck-ridden. a lead platform is different from the idea of focus.. i mean, dont know a ton about developing a game... but it seems to me it would be impossible to simultaneously FOCUS on all platforms to develop a game since they have clear differences in their structure...

Oh but it does mean the PC is not the focus!

It simply can't be. They have to make the game with the lowest common denominator in mind at all times, meaning whichever of the consoles is the weakest in a particular field. They can't make interfaces more complex than gamepads allow, they can't create textures the consoles' limited RAM couldn't take etc.

^^the end result being consistent mediocrity - for everyone!

But that's only if you have a doom/gloom attitude. Here's a bit of a positive spin on things: at least we're not going to get a crappy port to the PC from a console the way things are going. Right?

Oh but it does mean the PC is not the focus!

It simply can't be. They have to make the game with the lowest common denominator in mind at all times, meaning whichever of the consoles is the weakest in a particular field. They can't make interfaces more complex than gamepads allow, they can't create textures the consoles' limited RAM couldn't take etc.
    Precisely. It doesn't mean the 360 or the PS3 are the focus either, it means there is no focus. You can't put a gameplay mechanic into the game if it won't work on all three platforms, which results in a watered-down, no-risk, homogenized end product.

Just another step in the wrong direction.

This is dissapointing we were lied to. Now what we're going to get is the entire game will be limited due to console hardware structure. Level size, textures, design decisions etc. The most we would is higher textures but that wasn't even implemented in Invisible War.

Some people actually created better textures than the developers of Invisible War for the PC. Eidos Montreal I hope you don't screw up. Everyone is watching.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last