Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Spector on the original Deus Ex in 1999 (invaluable reading)

Spector on the original Deus Ex in 1999 (invaluable reading)

Spector on the original Deus Ex in 1999 (invaluable reading)

In the context of the recent, raging debates about what it truly means to be a Deus Ex game, I suddenly remembered this gem of an IGN interview from 11 years ago. On a whim I checked it out, and fortunately I was right, and it was still there. This is probably the best interview about any Deus Ex game I've ever come across, and is suitably juicy to make for interesting reading.

Do enjoy. I hope it can act as a reference point at the inevitable resumption of the endless "what makes a Deus Ex game?" debate. (God, that sounds like Ravel from Torment...)

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/071/071578p1.html

signature image

It's gratifying to see Spector's ideas on what makes a Rollplaying game line up with my own. It's not about skill points or stats, but the ability to develop your character in your own way.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    It's gratifying to see Spector's ideas on what makes a Rollplaying game line up with my own. It's not about skill points or stats, but the ability to develop your character in your own way.
    For what it's worth, I concur.
    signature image

That is just golden. Excellent find, POM.

Rollplaying game
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Originally Posted by Angel-A
    That is just golden. Excellent find, POM.

the roll of life
    You have a cruel way of enraging my Hunger Monster.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pretentious Old Man.
    (God, that sounds like Ravel from Torment...)
    *Know* that I think that you *know* how right you are.

Nobody responds like this for interviews anymore.

Hell, no developers TALK like this anymore. I've never seen somebody so pumped about his project, with such a set determination to make it worth the purchase.

I don't see the point in asking players to give me their hard-earned money (and their time) in exchange for an imitation, and not a very good one, of an experience they can have in another medium.
    NOBODY WOULD EVER SAY THAT IN MODERN GAME DEVELOPMENT.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Modern as opposed to what exactly?

Time flies by. I hadn't realise just how ancient I have become.

It is very disheartening that the philosophies began with Ultima and System Shock, and then Deus Ex, haven't grown or evolved, but are largely forgotten. And when they aren't forgotten, they're heavily gimped.
    signature image

If you want to talk about what it means to be a deus ex game, I think this article sums it up pretty much perfectly.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/14/taking-liberties/

I finished reading it, and some of the stuff is kinda funny. A lot of what they talk about towards the end with the AI is, as near as I can remember, completely impossible.

I went into a bar and shot a character I knew was an enemy. Everyone in the bar suddenly spooked and ran into the bathroom. Feeling a little malicious that day, I followed them to the door of the bathroom and began to fire on the huddled masses. Out of nowhere, someone began shooting at me! Just before I went down, I turned to look back in the bar and saw that a policeman had heard the sounds of gunfire, come in from the streets outside and was blowing me away. I didn't even know they could detect the shots from inside the bar!
    They can't!
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Lol yes, I loved this article, but I'm not sure exactly what AI Warren was talking about??

Originally Posted by Shralla
    I finished reading it, and some of the stuff is kinda funny. A lot of what they talk about towards the end with the AI is, as near as I can remember, completely impossible.

They can't!
    Maybe he's refering to the Lucky Money? The police from outside can enter if they 'hear' me shooting...

(click image to enlarge)

Am I the only one who read "lady police officer" and was like "What? Where?!"

It would have been nice to see some diversity in the cops, soldiers and guards.
    signature image

Yeah, it sure was weird to see all that gender imbalance The only women you'd could expect to see in the military settings were the scientists and secretaries (secretaries, btw, all used the same one model, even though there seemed to be other models for it).
    You'd think in 50 years the ratios would be a far more even due to the gender equality movements. I was expecting the whole game to see them somewhere and they never showed. Almost no where in the game do women fight, just Anna Navarre, really.

A mod for this would be sweet.
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Yes. There was just a number of WIB agents that I can recall. And they're not strictly human, are they?

signature image

if i read right mib are human with strange kind of chemical or pharmaceutical augmentation, their are constant notes about how they are working to prevent the albino effect. And they go into detail about what version of the chemical they are working with and what the side effects are. They appear to have a near religious devotion to the MJ 12 leaders.

oh they explode because they have a bomb planted in them to prevent their body from falling into enemy hands. not sure what the deal is with the voice.

Originally Posted by super...
    not sure what the deal is with the voice.
    Must have something to do with how extensive the augmentations are; perhaps even their larynx has been replaced.

Conspiratorially, men in black agents have been reported to speak unnaturally (G-Man plays off this as well), and seems almost uncomfortable in their own skin.
    signature image

MiB's (and I don't mean the Will Smith variety) make for the most unsettling urban legends ever. I remember seeing a pseudo documentary on google vids a few years back- I was spooked for days.

"Harvey Smith: I want to be able to fully explore and interact with an environment in as immersive, self-expressive way possible. If something occurs to me in the game world, I want to be empowered to try it. And I want the results of the action, even if they are not always what I expected, to be interest and plausible."

-- Yes.

I think pacman was very immersive
    the telescopic evolution paradigm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saxX-Z6w3p4

Originally Posted by atLaNt1s
    I think pacman was very immersive

Originally Posted by Ilves
    MiB's (and I don't mean the Will Smith variety) make for the most unsettling urban legends ever. I remember seeing a pseudo documentary on google vids a few years back- I was spooked for days.
    I know what you mean. They're almost as unsettling as the Mothman.

These things make it hard to sleep some nights.
    signature image

I know what you mean. They're almost as unsettling as the Mothman.
    Richard Gere is pretty scary.

Originally Posted by Ilves
    Richard Gere is pretty scary.
    Thank you! I've always thought so!

Something about his face just completely creeps me out. I can't understand why so many women love him - granted I'm a guy, so I usually don't, but this guy just looks... weird.
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last