Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... Last

Thread: "THE ICARUS EFFECT" DXHR Novel by James Swallow: WARNING: Spoilers Inside!

"THE ICARUS EFFECT" DXHR Novel by James Swallow: WARNING: Spoilers Inside!

"THE ICARUS EFFECT" DXHR Novel by James Swallow: WARNING: Spoilers Inside!

WARNING: This thread contains spoilers.
    Please be considerate. When posting/discussing elements of the story, be sure to hide the information inside spoiler tags. Thank you.

Moderator Updates:

Cover art by Jim Murray,

Here's the official press release.

DEL REY BOOKS ANNOUNCES NOVEL BASED ON THE DEUS EX® VIDEO GAME SERIES

NEW YORK, NY – July 13, 2010 – Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced today that Del Rey Books will publish a novel based on the Deus Ex® video game series. DEUS EX: THE ICARUS EFFECT will be written by author James Swallow and will release in 2011.

DEUS EX: THE ICARUS EFFECT is set in the complex and enthralling world of Deus Ex, a cyberpunk-style technological dystopia where all is not what it seems. In the not-so-distant future, the world is a place of great innovation and technological advancement... but also a place of chaos and conspiracy. New technologies push the limits of human potential, even while they threaten the very future of the world. And from the shadows, dark and secret powers are coming together to take control, intent on designs so large, so intricate, they will take decades to come to fruition. But when two unlikely heroes—Anna Kelso, a Secret Service agent, and Ben Saxon, a special-ops soldier—draw uncomfortably close to the truth, the choices they make here and now will alter the course of history... or usher in an age of darkness.

“We’re really pleased to be able to announce this new DEUS EX novel with Del Rey books,” said Andre Vu, Marketing Game Manager, Deus Ex. “The novel is set in the DEUS EX universe and there will be characters and story elements in it, that will overlap with our next videogame DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION, which we hope fans will be very excited about.”

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION the game has recently been unveiled at E3 2010 in Los Angeles, where the game received over 25 award nominations from gaming media from around the world, securing 13 awards at the show.

DEUS EX: THE ICARUS EFFECT will release in North America and Europe in 2011, the book will also be available in many other countries around the world please keep an eye on the Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution website for further details.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
    JAMES SWALLOW is a renowned science fiction author whose first foray into writing came with the Sundowners Series, published in 2001. Since then, Swallow has gone on to pen both novels and scripts for popular franchises such as Doctor Who, Stargate, Warhammer 40,000, and Star Trek. He has also worked on numerous videogames including Star Trek Invasion, Maelstrom, and Killzone 2. In 2009 the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers awarded James with the Scribe Award for Best Speculative Fiction Original. He lives and works in the UK.

ABOUT DEL REY:
    Del Rey Books (http://www.delreybooks.com) was founded in 1977 as an imprint of Ballantine Books, a division of the Random House Publishing Group, under the guidance of the renowned Judy-Lynn del Rey and her husband, Lester del Rey. Del Rey publishes the best of modern fantasy, science fiction, and alternate history. In 2004 it expanded by launching Del Rey Manga, which has grown to be a major force in the U.S. graphic-novel field.

About Square Enix Ltd.
    Square Enix Ltd., a part of Square Enix Europe business unit, is a London-based wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., one of the most influential providers of digital entertainment content in the world. Square Enix Ltd. publishes and distributes entertainment content from the Square Enix Group including Square Enix, Eidos and Taito in Europe and other PAL territories. Square Enix Ltd. also has a global network of leading development studios such as IO Interactive, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montréal. The Square Enix Group boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 97 million units worldwide, DRAGON QUEST® which has sold over 54 million units worldwide and TOMB RAIDER® which has sold over 35 million units worldwide, together with other well established products.

More information on Square Enix Ltd. can be found on the Internet at http://www.square-enix.com
    Originally Posted by JMSwallow
    Del Rey Books, publishers of the US edition of Icarus Effect, have put up a guest blog from me over at their Suvudu site here.

The US edition is published by Del Rey Books
    The UK edition is being published by Titan Books - http://titanbooks.com/deus-ex-the-icarus-effect-5285/

Originally Posted by JMSwallow
    As promised, here's some information on the German edition of Deus Ex: Icarus Effect (or Der Icarus Effekt, if you prefer) being published by Panini on July 19th.

http://www.paninicomics.de/deus-ex-d...ekt-i7407.html

__

Q&A's.

Does the book contain spoilers about the game?
    A: That all depends on how strict you are with your definition of the term "spoiler". Does it give away huge pieces of the game's plotline? No. In fact, I (James Swallow) worked very closely with EM, with the specific remit to stay well clear of any major game story twists.
    Does it reveal details about the world of Deus Ex Human Revolution and some of the supporting characters? Yes.

Will the book be available in hard cover, or only in paperback?
    A: Icarus Effect will be available in trade paperback format.

Is it available in Australia yet? I haven't been able to find it at any of my usual haunts.
    A: Borders stock The Icarus Effect. http://www.borders.com.au/
    I would really hope to see an audio-only version of this book, I've been approached by fans from the blind community already about the feasibility of getting similar projects funded, such as an audio-only game.
    A: I'm not aware of any plans for an audio book version of Icarus Effect at this stage, but it is being released in eBook format on the Kindle, which has a text-to-speech function.

____

* end of moderator edit *

http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffweli...icarus-effect/

Excuse me while I enrol myself in the nearest mental institution.

__

I guess that might be cool, maybe.

Probably not.

I'd be surprised if they weren't trying to get some book sales out of this one.

Whether or not the novel will be any good (which I somehow doubt in my snobbery), this can only be a good sign for the depth and writing that's going into the game.
    signature image

Initiating next phase of operation Money Cow...

And from the shadows, dark and secret powers are coming together to take control, intent on designs so large, so intricate, they will take decades to come to fruition.
    This I really like though. I'd even agree more with Pinky's above statement had the novel been written by DeMerle herself. Or conversely, this James Swallow dude would be somehow involved in HR's backbench writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Swallow

Dude's clearly a graphomaniac, churning out books at this rate.

I like how it's a new story and not a novelization of one of the games. Will buy DAY 1!
    If you want to make enemies....Try to change something

James Swallow's writing credits state that he's working on Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so he's one of the members of the writing team, definitely, which is a good sign. At least the world should be 1:1 with the game then.

^ Can't believe I missed that.

I hope this has more to do with Deus Ex than HR.

That's not a snarky comment. When I read the press release and read "set within the Deus Ex universe" so many times, I wasn't thinking of HR. Surely it's not, seeing HR is a reboot? I don't know.

This is how it should have read:

"And from the shadows, dark and secret powers are coming together to take control, intent on designs so large, so intricate, they will take decades to come to fruition. And one man, with no arms, will rise from obscurity to challenge their megalomaniac and diabolical plans. A real fly in the ointment, protagonist and anti-hero, Adam Jensen Rhymes-with-Denton, will be the new model of human development setting the scene for global anarchy and angst ridden protests the like of which has never been seen before!”

This is fun – why not write you own version of how the story should have been laid out in here for all our amusement.
    "It looks like Adam is stalking a fat S&M enthusiast with a leaf blower. http://www.abload.de/img/6dmut.jpg" spm1138

Heh, I'll have my hands on it for sure.
    It also made me a bit more hopeful towards the depth of the game's backstory. Curse you!

That's happening when you are a day off the i-net...

I think I gonna buy it, but let us all hope for a great backstory... in the book AND in the game. :P

According to kotaku, the story bleeds into that of HR

http://kotaku.com/5585023/deus-ex-hu...th-a-good-book

I greet this with a resounding "meh."

However, if it results in an expanded universe for Deus Ex, I'm all for it. I'm thinking something along the line of early Timothy Zahn era Star Wars EU (and yes, I'm sure this will trigger an avalanche of Zahn-haters). I'd love to see the Deus Ex mythology fleshed out, and a novel is probably a better medium to capture the ideas and depth of Deus than a film or mini-series.

What! I'm not big into books... damn you EM, forcing me to read.

Here's the official press release in its entirety.

DEL REY BOOKS ANNOUNCES NOVEL BASED ON THE DEUS EX® VIDEO GAME SERIES

NEW YORK, NY – July 13, 2010 – Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced today that Del Rey Books will publish a novel based on the Deus Ex® video game series. DEUS EX: THE ICARUS EFFECT will be written by author James Swallow and will release in 2011.

DEUS EX: THE ICARUS EFFECT is set in the complex and enthralling world of Deus Ex, a cyberpunk-style technological dystopia where all is not what it seems. In the not-so-distant future, the world is a place of great innovation and technological advancement... but also a place of chaos and conspiracy. New technologies push the limits of human potential, even while they threaten the very future of the world. And from the shadows, dark and secret powers are coming together to take control, intent on designs so large, so intricate, they will take decades to come to fruition. But when two unlikely heroes—Anna Kelso, a Secret Service agent, and Ben Saxon, a special-ops soldier—draw uncomfortably close to the truth, the choices they make here and now will alter the course of history... or usher in an age of darkness.

“We’re really pleased to be able to announce this new DEUS EX novel with Del Rey books,” said Andre Vu, Marketing Game Manager, Deus Ex. “The novel is set in the DEUS EX universe and there will be characters and story elements in it, that will overlap with our next videogame DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION, which we hope fans will be very excited about.”

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION the game has recently been unveiled at E3 2010 in Los Angeles, where the game received over 25 award nominations from gaming media from around the world, securing 13 awards at the show.

DEUS EX: THE ICARUS EFFECT will release in North America and Europe in 2011, the book will also be available in many other countries around the world please keep an eye on the Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution website for further details.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
    JAMES SWALLOW is a renowned science fiction author whose first foray into writing came with the Sundowners Series, published in 2001. Since then, Swallow has gone on to pen both novels and scripts for popular franchises such as Doctor Who, Stargate, Warhammer 40,000, and Star Trek. He has also worked on numerous videogames including Star Trek Invasion, Maelstrom, and Killzone 2. In 2009 the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers awarded James with the Scribe Award for Best Speculative Fiction Original. He lives and works in the UK.

ABOUT DEL REY:
    Del Rey Books (http://www.delreybooks.com) was founded in 1977 as an imprint of Ballantine Books, a division of the Random House Publishing Group, under the guidance of the renowned Judy-Lynn del Rey and her husband, Lester del Rey. Del Rey publishes the best of modern fantasy, science fiction, and alternate history. In 2004 it expanded by launching Del Rey Manga, which has grown to be a major force in the U.S. graphic-novel field.

About Square Enix Ltd.
    Square Enix Ltd., a part of Square Enix Europe business unit, is a London-based wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., one of the most influential providers of digital entertainment content in the world. Square Enix Ltd. publishes and distributes entertainment content from the Square Enix Group including Square Enix, Eidos and Taito in Europe and other PAL territories. Square Enix Ltd. also has a global network of leading development studios such as IO Interactive, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montréal. The Square Enix Group boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 97 million units worldwide, DRAGON QUEST® which has sold over 54 million units worldwide and TOMB RAIDER® which has sold over 35 million units worldwide, together with other well established products.

More information on Square Enix Ltd. can be found on the Internet at http://www.square-enix.com
    "......It reminds me of Beethoven..... can you hear it?"

“The novel is set in the DEUS EX universe and there will be characters and story elements in it, that will overlap with our next videogame DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION, which we hope fans will be very excited about.”
    Is that a fancy way of saying: "If you want the whole story, you need to buy the book as well"?
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Originally Posted by Fluffis
    Is that a fancy way of saying: "If you want the whole story, you need to buy the book as well"?
    No, it's not

You won't have to read the book to know what's going on in the game - but if you do it'll give you a deeper understanding of the world. I'll see if I can get some more info about the book nearer the time. I'll certainly blag some free copies to give away here too.
    "......It reminds me of Beethoven..... can you hear it?"

Well how about that!

I'll let my cynical side get first say for a change. It does sound a bit like a squeeze for every last drop of the franchise, so not hugely optimistic. Every video game spin off book that I've ever read has been a let down, and not even worth making my casual no brainer shelf.

On the other hand, I've craved a full length novel exploring the DX setting from day one. I never thought it would happen, just as I thought the IP was dead after IW, so it's more than I ever expected. I'll definitely give it a read

Edit: Somewhere down the line I expect a little comment about milking this Icarus myth for all its worth. But I'll leave that to someone else to have fun with.

I am quite excited about this though, really. Despite my bit of negativity.

Deus Ex? IN MY BOOKS?!

Oh God, want.
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    Well how about that!

I'll let my cynical side get first say for a change. It does sound a bit like a squeeze for every last drop of the franchise, so not hugely optimistic. Every video game spin off book that I've ever read has been a let down, and not even worth making my casual no brainer shelf.
    I don't know about that, some of the StarCraft novels were very good.

Edit: Somewhere down the line I expect a little comment about milking this Icarus myth for all its worth. But I'll leave that to someone else to have fun with.
    Challenge accepted, good sir.

From the second teaser trailer to the interviews with Belletete to the name of the "claymore" aug, they really are getting a little too much mileage out of that particular myth. I understand that it ties into the theme of transhumanism. I get that it's a reference to the first game, although a little of the original's subtlety would go a long way to improving my opinion of DX:HR.

I guess that's what bothers me the most. How "in your face," "this is the message-get it???-transhumanism!!" this whole thing seems to be. Now we get a novel by the same name.

Pretty soon we'll change the game title to something awful like "Deus Ex: Icarus Rising." Ugh.

Originally Posted by Mr. K
    I don't know about that, some of the StarCraft novels were very good.
    Yeah? That's pretty encouraging to hear. I'm thinking on this from my personal experience- and as you know there are gaping holes in my video game knowledge!

I'm sure there are a few good adaptations out there. Hopefully this will change my experiences of game novels and be one of them.

Somewhere down the line I expect a little comment about milking this Icarus myth for all its worth. But I'll leave that to someone else to have fun with.
    Although I noticed it at first, I could have guessed they'd use something like that.

Semi-excited at the off chance that this will be set in the Deus Ex universe

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... Last