discussing image, an apology. But the image wasn't posted with my
    knowledge.
    For those of you who had the misfortune to see this nasty image, I
    apologize. I wouldn't even want to look at something like that, much
    less post it for other to see.

Now, on to the back-story and warning-

Monday morning I logged on to the Eidos forum to find that I had been
    banned FOREVER because of a "major TOU violation."

***It turns out I wasn't banned for ever, and I had been emailed about this,
    to explain what had happened, or to root out the problem that had caused what
    was really a temporary ban. But I didn't get the email, maybe it was junked,
    or I trashed it myself thinking it was junk? But I didn't know any of this
    and in my fuzzy mind, I had been sent to a Kafkaesque purgatory***

I was dumb struck and in a panic. WHAT? Banned for life
    from my favorite forum, my home away from home? How could this
    happen? What could I have done to be banned? Could I have
    innocently done something that bad? I must explain I have a guilty conscience
    from my chequered past and careless behavior. I was sure I had done something
    wrong!
    First I tried to contact someone at Eidos but I didn't get a reply right away.
    I was pretty bummed out. Mostly I just wanted to understand what had happened.
    I couldn't ask anyone on the forum because I couldn't log in. Then I
    remembered another forum with Eidos friends on it and I tried Lo and
    Ruum. I got a hold of Lo and she started to work helping me.
    (THANKS LO!!!!!!) She contacted Driber who I gather was already
    looking into the problem. There was already speculation that my
    account being hacked. I was worried about that, maybe other accounts
    and even my computer had been hacked? Then Driber and his colleagues
    found the problem. I had posted a concert photo of a band called
    Kraftwerk, I think in the "Random" thread, but I can't remember
    which. The good Eidos folks had traced that TERRIBLE image as coming
    from the website that had Kraftwerk concert photos. I had found the
    photo I wanted by doing an image search, and gotten a concert gallery
    page. I had not bother to read the warning on the home page of this
    gallery that states "Warning to those people linking to my pictures
    directly..." etc. In short, I hotlinked and the image I posted was
    replaced by something I hope I never see again.
    It was definitely good knowing that I hadn't posted anything, at
    least with my knowledge, that would get me the permanent ban. Even
    better, Driber had already thought there was more too it, possibly
    someone had posted using my computer as a bad joke, or that I had
    been hacked. I wasn't really banned forever, only suspended until
    the issue could be looked into. WHAT A RELIEF!
    So, thanks to Lo's wonderful help and as a character reference, and
    to Driber and his mates, I'm in the clear.

THANK YOU LO!
    THANK YOU DRIBER

WARNING! To anyone, like me, who posts images taken from the
    internet, you may get a lot more than you bargained for!!!

(I'm very glad to be back in the warm fuzzy grasp of the Eidos forums!!!)

signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

I would like to point out that posts discussing moderator actions are against our TOU, but because BLOWHARD informed me beforehand that he wanted to post this and because his aim is to warn people of this hotlinking problem, this thread will be allowed as an exception. Please don't abuse it.

BTW, credits for discovering this nasty hotlinking business with that site goes to Xcom

Furthermore, I also found that the hotlinking warning isn't always visible on that site. Only when you enter the site from another site, it is displayed. When you enter its URL directly into your addressbar, you see no warning at all. So in some cases, people do not even see any warning, leaving them completely in the dark about the site's aggressive anti-hotlinking policy

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

LOL @ BLOWHARD

I've never seen a gentleman so panic-stricken over a web forum hehe!!

I was only too happy to oblige, BH I knew there had to be some innocent explanation because I know you too well ...enough to know you would NEVER wish to be associated with such presumably horrendous imagery.

It's just fortunate that the vigilant Eidos staff were quick to notice the anomaly and temporarily suspend your account to protect your identity. I've already mentioned to Driber that I would hope he'd do the same for me should a similar error occur!

Welcome back! No names, no pack drill but I know of other gaming forums who would have happily and readily dismissed any plight made by you or any go-between. Thankfully, the staff here on Eidos are very rational and understanding and clearly trusted enough in you to realise this was completely undeliberate.

If anything, it will make us all that bit more aware of hotlinking and double-checking the site TOUs before posting. It could have happened to any one of us in truth!

Aunty Lo
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Shock photo link redirection is a prickish thing to do by webmasters, but then again bandwidth theft is a a genuine problem. It's always, always a good idea to save a pic then upload to an image hosting site (imageshack etc) and link from there. Hope you learned a lesson

I'm sure we have all learned a valuable lesson but it's a shame it happened to such a genuine guy. That's the very mistake someone like me would likely have made if I'm honest.

Let's just be thankful that we have understanding staff who readily give the benefit of the doubt to established and trusted members. No deliberate crime was committed here aside from that of the idiot webmaster of that site who chose to incorporate heinous material when in fact he could have posted any number of alternative images.

Glad your still with us BH and it's all sorted

Even though you don't know me BLOWHARD, im glad you are back, would be a nasty time if you was no longer on the Eidos forums

and good work Lo and Mods
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Thanks, Daniel

I think the mods well deserve the credit here, I was merely the messenger but of course am always very happy to help where possible I know BLOWHARD would not have hesitated to assist me had I found myself in a similar pickle

I thought something was amiss when I first noticed that you were banned, as all the posts I've read of yours don't suggest that you're the type of person who would get into trouble here. I personally didn't see the image in question so I don't exactly know the true extent of the ordeal but I'm glad to see that everything has been cleared and that you’re back.

I guess this would be a good time to thank all the staff for their hard work (seeing as they effectively solved the problem without too many people noticing) and to all the members who helped you while you were away from the forums; it's always nice to know that there are such friendly people here who are willing to help.

Glad you got it worked out. So we have THINK BEFORE YOU LINK!

I saw the image and Oh My God!!! was it awful. I thought it a little strange someone that had been with the forum that long would post something like that. Thats scary that can happy to someone, I'm glad it got worked out.
    SWAN DIVE! Into the best night of your life.

I actually saw the image posted and it was, indeed, in the Thread of Absolute Randomness. Besides also never wanting to see such imagery again, my first thought was that your account had to have been hacked. I was less sure of that when you then appeared banned, and later only reinstated as "member." But, lol, looks like I was right to think something was amiss in the first place.

Yup, it's good that you were given the benefit of the doubt here. I'm sure that would be the case with anyone, but especially for those that have been around for so long and been such a productive member to this community. However, out there in Internet la-la-land, that's not always going to be the case. I learned a long time ago to always host images, when years ago I did so once and was asked not to because I was hurting the bandwidth of a very diligent fellow Legacy of Kain's website that's such a valuable information asset to the community. Ever since then, I host images first. It wakes you up to the reality, which is that every single time someone clicks on the link of a thread you posted in with that image, that's another direct hit to the website you got the image from, and that could be hundreds of hits per day, from active members, guests, to random passerby's who didn't even mean to wind up looking at the forum, or said particular thread in it. And bandwidth used to cost more than it does now, I believe, so that was a hurtful thing, if depleting the allotted amount per month meant a shutdown of the website from being able to be viewed by all. Anyway, once you realize that, it's easy to say, ok, guess I'll never do that again.

With that all said, what a bunch of pricks for going about trying to teach people a lesson in such a way as to replace their images with such a horrid thing. It's almost like they aren't out to stop people from leaching their bandwidth so much as to simply be cool, rebellious-looking jerks, which is fashion these days... Well, all's well that ends well here, at least. Welcome back aboard the Eidos Express lol

Talking about true virtual friendship. Glad you're still with us BLOWHARD!
    Fortunately, I didn't see the image.

Like all the members here, I was quite sure you wouldn't have purposely gotten yourself banned. I'm glad to see our jolly good fellow back and I'm glad that Lo was able to help you! Incidentally, I sent you a couple of emails, but I never got a response. I wonder if they went to the same place as the lost Eidos email. See you around the forums, Blowhard.

THANK YOU XCOM!!!

I've never seen a gentleman so panic-stricken over a web forum hehe!!
    heheheheehe, you would be too if you thought you had been booted off!
    Besides, like I said, this is my home away from home

It's always, always a good idea to save a pic then upload to an image hosting site
    I'LL SAY! I have done that in the past but in this case I thought it wasn't that important. Boy was I wrong!

Glad your still with us BH

even though you don't know me
    I don't, how have I missed you? Well, I'll remember you now, thanks

Blackman, you're truly a man of few words, but, you are all too correct!
    THINK BEFORE YOU LINK!

I personally didn't see the image in question
    Suffice it to say it was about as crude and ugly as you can get, or at least I think so!

I saw the image and Oh My God!!!
    Hey Rios, again, I'm sorry you had the misfortune to see that. YUK!!!

it was, indeed, in the Thread of Absolute Randomness
    I was pretty sure, I remember some bot problems so I thought I'd post a nice Robot picture
    All good point Hylden! I guess the internet has such a free-for-all wild-west feeling it's easy to forget what you're doing.

Glad you're still with us BLOWHARD!
    Thanks Chris

I'm glad to see our jolly good fellow back
    HEYA RUUM! I'm not sure what's going on with the email thing either.
    Driber asked me if I had his emails in my spam/junk box. I did a seach and I came up with nothing. All that junk and spam get's saved for a month (I think) but I see nothing. Perhaps Driber sent his emails with another name? I checked for anything with Eidos in the title too, nothing in the junk folder. No Rumm emails too Was Ruum somewhere in the emails you sent me Ruum?
    WEIRD! I'll need to look into that. I though my email was doing pretty good...

This is definitely an "alls well that ends well" type of deal hear.
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

It's kinda hard to make a habit of always clicking the Preview button before clicking the Submit button, but it's a good habit to try to form. Other than that, copying the image and uploading it on an image-hosting site is more troublesome, but puts the control in your hands. Man, that would be awful to go through, BH. I haven't had any graphic anti-hotlinking image swaps so far, just mild ones, usually a block of text or a nothing picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWHARD View Post
    Hey Rios, again, I'm sorry you had the misfortune to see that. YUK!!!
    No need to apologize, its not like anyone can blame you for that, that could have happened to any one of us, Ive hot-linked many pictures myself. Glad it got resolved and glad your back with us.
    SWAN DIVE! Into the best night of your life.

signature image

Perhaps Driber sent his emails with another name?
    I did indeed, but only slightly different.

That first email from Monday was sent from a different computer - and therefore had a different HELO name - and from the address dtemp[andsomenumber] at driber dot [domain]

The second one was from webmaster[andsomeothernumber] at driber dot [domain]

Both were from the same domain, so if your provider choked on the different username or HELO name, then it seems to be using very aggressive filters to block emails.

Seeing as also emails from Ruum were lost, that could confirm it. You may have had lots of other emails by other people never received either.

Adding up the fact that I didn't even get my email bounced back to me with a warning that it has not been delivered, your mail server seems to be a not very good one.

If the your mail server is ran by your ISP, I'd get an independent and reputable one, like gmail perhaps. If only for the fact that should you change your ISP, your email address won't be lost

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Hotmail does the trick too. Thankfully I received all of BLOWHARD's communications without any trouble and equally he received my responses. I never use my default [Plusnet] e-mail facility and rarely used my dial-up [Tesco.net] e-mail either.

Web-based e-mails are seemingly a lot more reliable.

Smile

Blackman, you're truly a man of few words, but, you are all too correct!
    THINK BEFORE YOU LINK!
    Actually even without this situation the message should be: Do not link.

I am glad you are back, BLOWHARD.(Not that there was really any danger of you being banned permanently.
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

[off topic] Goran, where have you been hiding? Where is and how is the lovely CatSuit for that matter?!! Have you tied her up in some German cellar?

I miss you both!!

Have a good day! [/off topic]

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Hotmail does the trick too
    Are you seriously recommending hotmail?

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Are you seriously recommending hotmail?
    whats wrong with hotmail? i use it
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    [off topic] Have you tied her up in some German cellar?
    [/off topic]
    Actually she stays there willingly.

It is the only cool place in the house.

As for me, I am always here. Always hovering. You will always see my name in the Who Is Online list and I always have an eye on you guys.
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast