Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: about books

about books

People who read books, and I mean read them regularly, are bookophiles. We love books, not just because of the story they contain, but because of the smell of a freshly opened page, the feel and texture of the page, and the colour of the print on the paper. Just to give you an example; a couple of years ago I wanted to read Dracula. So I went into the bookshop and had a look around. There were three editions, one Penguin Classics version, and an Oxford version, both paperbacks with fairly generic hazy paintings of nondescript monsters on the cover. They were €3-€4. I picked the €10 hard back book with the blood red cover and black hardback with deep red script. It's all about the mood.

You can't read a gothic horror book from a computer! It kills the atmosphere. Not to mention the light from the computer gets quite tiring on the eyes after a while. Books will never go out of style, though perhaps newspapers and some current affairs magazines will. Frankly, everytime someone mentions the term 'print is dead' I just look on the trains and buses at all the people with newspapers and magazines and wonder if it's not just a large minority whose cultural interests mean there is no inherent value for them in print media.

But on topic, books in DX:HR please. It wouldn't make sense to leave them out. I don't think they will though, considering the images we saw in the second teaser trailer of Adam's apartment. Though they are anatomy books, so perhaps there'll be less fiction books available and more technical ones.
    So, ten seconds wait, and then thirty seconds for health regeneration... colour me surprised. Moderately happily surprised.

Originally Posted by Daedalus Ciarán
    People who read books, and I mean read them regularly, are bookophiles. We love books, not just because of the story they contain, but because of the smell of a freshly opened page, the feel and texture of the page, and the colour of the print on the paper. Just to give you an example; a couple of years ago I wanted to read Dracula. So I went into the bookshop and had a look around. There were three editions, one Penguin Classics version, and an Oxford version, both paperbacks with fairly generic hazy paintings of nondescript monsters on the cover. They were €3-€4. I picked the €10 hard back book with the blood red cover and black hardback with deep red script. It's all about the mood.
    It's the same reason the Collector's Edition of the Dragonlance Chronicles (beneath the dust-jacket) is night-blue with silver writing. (For those who haven't read it: it's the distinguishing mark of a very powerful spell-book). That kind of thing just adds another level.

I could never replace that kind of thing with a JPG at the beginning of a file.
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Codex! the codex is a terrible idea, with it's threaded binding, covers and pages! who needs it! my scrolls are much better, your never going to take my smooth handle bars away from my texts. With the codex you can just flip to any page you want! look how easy it is to take something out of context when your not scrolling to it. The codex is a rotten thing.

over time formats change. many of you are making fine points. indeed printed books are still around and will be for some time, however sooner then you think the choice between digital and print will come more frequently.

the rpg industry is full of companies that sell both digital and print editions of the same book. some download sites are already making plans to add POD options for purchases that were once only digital. print or digital will eventually become a choice.

i just spent an afternoon organizing my bookshelf. if could trade that entire bookself and replace it with a digital with a device like a higher res iPad i would do it in a second. it will be a while before i can make that trade but we get closer to it every day.

Originally Posted by super...
    I like the books because I imagine a future where the only place you can keep a secret is on paper.

That's a great point, super. You see the same thing in 1984. In a world where even your thoughts are subject to surveillance (and given the whispers of Adam's mind control augmentation, that seems relevant), books would be the only safe place to keep sensitive information. Electronic media is so easily accessed and altered. The same issue was also brought up in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I also think books might become more valuable as they become less and less common. A digital book would be the fraction of the cost, and with low-cost e-readers being everywhere, books would be a real luxury. Books would be a status-statement; having the money to purchase them from an increasingly small and specialized publishing industry would put one in a rarified atmosphere. Plus, consider the space! As America re-urbanizes, space in mega-cities would become increasingly precious. Having the space necessary to store books would also become a way of expressing wealth and power.

I'm not big into books.

(Seriously, NO-ONE thought of saying that?)

Anyhow, it's actually a lie, I am "big into" books, they were one of the highlights of the original. Despite many of the original DX's books being composed of what I would normally dismiss as "avant-garde, new age rubbish", I actually enjoyed them. GK Chesterton's snippets here and there made a witty commentary to the story, and the backstory of newspapers was invaluable. One newspaper article said that Professors from Oxford, who regulated the Thames barrier, could not understand why New York kept on flooding, and the article made it fairly clear that MJ12 were behind it. Brilliant.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    Tell me about it, Ash. I'm reading through House of Leaves, which is not only 600 something pages, but also, well, yeah. No way I would read something like that in electronic form.

The only time I use electronic versions of books is when I can't find a physical copy, or when I want to find quotes quickly.
    Bloody amazing book, House of Leaves. And definitely an experience you want to have with paper in your hands (I'm not sure how a Kindle version would work, with all the misdirection, footnotes, and changing text direction Danielewski throws in there).

Forgot to mention: I looked up House of Leaves after your post, Kodaemon, and it's now firmly next on my "to read" list as soon as I finish Atlas Shrugged (getting there!) because it sounds really intruiging. I'd've never heard of it if it weren't for your post, so thanks!

You may have to apologise to Aldous Huxley and Robert Harris though, as it has displaced Brave New World and Fatherland for now!

Hi all, I think book is the best friend that i read in my childhood and realized that now.There are different kinds of man and even a man who is very closest may be turned into an enemy because of some money. But if I am able to do my best friend.....However that is not relevant I am going to include my personal matter here. Sorry for that. Actually i am now reading many books such as drama,novel and grammar etc.

Page 2 of 2 First First 12