Thread: Skins Customization

Skins Customization

I like the idea of skin customization with it not becoming a pay to win kind of thing. Other games do the same, grind out currency to purchase skins and what not, or use real money to make it go faster. Some things might still be cash only, but as long as they are completely cosmetic and have no influence on the game I have no problem.

Bring on the devil horns, cloven hooves, wings, distorted vampire features and whatever else. Screw Canon, if there isn't going to be a closing chapter to LoK, than in my mind its good to go, everything is permitted. That being said is there any plans to include the Hylden? I'm just looking at this like it's a chance to finish the story. Maybe?

Originally Posted by DirtyDSlater
    Bring on the devil horns, cloven hooves, wings, distorted vampire features and whatever else. Screw Canon, if there isn't going to be a closing chapter to LoK, than in my mind its good to go, everything is permitted.
    Most of that stuff is canon. The devil horns on the Razielim are part of the helmet, not their biology and they have had 300 years in the Fane to enter the state of change a couple of times to get their wings. The fledglings in SR1 (check the manual, they were fledglings) had already had inherited features from their devolved clan leaders. All the Lieutenants had cloven hands and feet in the SR1 intro.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

No I got you, I was just thinking that outside of what could be considered canon should be considered. I mean, we are probably not going to get another SR or LoK, so let the imagination run wild!

Originally Posted by DirtyDSlater
    No I got you, I was just thinking that outside of what could be considered canon should be considered. I mean, we are probably not going to get another SR or LoK, so let the imagination run wild!
    Canon is important for the setting, but at the same time it is a game. But I don't know how far they might go with the skin designs. I've brought it up to the devs several times before that I want to see holiday themed skins/items. Sentinels with christmas light wings, a tyrant with a santa hat, a reaver with reindeer ears, an alchemist cannon that shoots jack o lanters, a scout with a pilgrim hat, hunters throwing easter eggs instead of grenades! You get the idea. Not even remotely part of the canon, it's still a game though and I want to see some humorous stuff here and there.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

For stuff like seasons, I'd prefer map changes like snowfall for winter, autumn colors for fall, drought striken for summer, over developed vegetation like long grass or invasive vines for spring.

Edit
    Obviously this would exclude the Fane map.

Rolleyes

Adding a new mighty human champion with average players appearance, and their real life abilities will end all of this nonsensical characters portrayal in LoK series.

Weapon Skins

I like the idea of customisation alot but right now we only have skins (besides the abilities) to customize our classes....so my idea is to create also some skins for every weapon just to show better our personality through the class ^^

I think modular heads would be a fantastic idea. Placing different heads on different body skins, and maybe the ability to dye one or both would be pefect.

Originally Posted by LucidHero
    I think modular heads would be a fantastic idea. Placing different heads on different body skins, and maybe the ability to dye one or both would be pefect.
    Heads for some, masks for others, option for hood up or down would all be good. Maybe some intermediate heads between fledgling and evolved. Psyonix have said swapping out whole body parts would be unfeasible, but small attachments that stick on to the skins might be less of a problem and the head is still simpler than the whole body.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Customizable Player

I think Nosgoth would have the addiction of crack if only there was more customization! I know there are custom skins to buy, but then I would look like the next guy who buys the skin. My idea is to have individual pieces of armor that drop. Since there would be more items to equip, there would be more drops happening. More drops means happier people and a sense of progress. Also, if individual pieces of armor dropped you would have a different look from character to character. I may have an awesome chest piece hat dropped for me and the next Hunter may have a cool helmet. It would keep people playing because they would be trying to achieve their perfect look. I don't know how unbalancing it would be, but you may even attach +stat /-stat like the current drops.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this would be a great addition to the game and from a business standpoint seems like a sound idea. I really like the game, but I have amassed so much gold its near worthless and there is very little incentive for me other than the obvious fun I'm having. I just don't feel like my team of Vamps and Slayers is getting better or progressing at all.

It would also serve as a prestige or vanity type of system because level 5 armor may be simple, maybe even a little rusty. But as you get higher in level your drops would improve and the visuals would be cooler, letting people know you have been playing for a while and have earned a nice set of armor.

Anyway, maybe this idea has been brought up before but its my two cents. Look forward to seeing peoples thoughts.

~VampireJesus

Originally Posted by Khalith
    Canon is important for the setting, but at the same time it is a game. But I don't know how far they might go with the skin designs. I've brought it up to the devs several times before that I want to see holiday themed skins/items. Sentinels with christmas light wings, a tyrant with a santa hat, a reaver with reindeer ears, an alchemist cannon that shoots jack o lanters, a scout with a pilgrim hat, hunters throwing easter eggs instead of grenades! You get the idea. Not even remotely part of the canon, it's still a game though and I want to see some humorous stuff here and there.
    Oh please, no! Few things in video games are as annoying as quality fantasy settings getting awfully violated with Candy Canes, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies and other such things that have nothing to do with the canon. Once items for it are released some walk around with them all year and the game is constantly ruined and can no longer be taken serious, as theme and overall atmosphere are constantly broken and incoherent. I hope this non-sense stays away.

Customization with inter-changeable armor parts and different colors available? Great!
    Holiday themed, childish, semi-funny items that break all sense of fashion and coherence? AWWWFFFUUULLLL!

Well, Vanguards now have customizable shields, I guess that can be called a step into the modular customization territory, no? But if you think about it, there's some unique element present on about half of the classes. Like the aforementioned vanguards have shields, prophets have those wing-like bones / scroll cases on their backs, hunters have blades behind shoulders (which they don't use, unfortunately), sentinels have wings, deceivers have masks. I may be stretching things a bit, but such "swappable" elements can be added to each class - for starters, before even beginning any truly modular customization. For that alone, many people would be mighty grateful, I'm sure.
    Actually, I'd like to address sentinel customization a bit closer. It's been a wonder of mine, where did Raziel's magnificent, ingenious and marvelously logical wings go? Why the boring behind-the-shoulder type (which shouldn't even allow sentinels horizontal flight, only vertical hovering)? If you ever start considering above-metioned customizable unique elements of each class, every LoK fan out there will start worshipping you folks if you ever bring those wings back as a customization option.
    Last edited by Charadus; 6th Mar 2015 at 12:43.

Originally Posted by Charadus
    Well, Vanguards now have customizable shields, I guess that can be called a step into the modular customization territory, no? But if you think about it, there's some unique element present on about half of the classes. Like the aforementioned vanguards have shields, prophets have those wing-like bones / scroll cases on their backs, hunters have blades behind shoulders (which they don't use, unfortunately), sentinels have wings, deceivers have masks. I may be stretching things a bit, but such "swappable" elements can be added to each class - for starters, before even beginning any truly modular customization. For that alone, many people would be mighty grateful, I'm sure.
    Actually, I'd like to address sentinel customization a bit closer. It's been a wonder of mine, where did Raziel's magnificent, ingenious and marvelously logical wings go? Why the boring behind-the-shoulder type (which shouldn't even allow sentinels horizontal flight, only vertical hovering)? If you ever start considering above-metioned customizable unique elements of each class, every LoK fan out there will start worshipping you folks if you ever bring those wings back as a customization option.
    As much as I'd like to see true Raziel-like wings, it's impossible to get those to work with the Sentinel's existing animations. The ones on the evolved skins are the closest we're likely to get. It multiple classes within the same clan end up being introduced or if Psyonix decide to make an uber-vamp (Eg. Eskandor from the blog or some other elder) as was very tentatively mentioned in a twitch video, then maybe that could have the true Raziel wings.

The customization I'd like to see for the Sentinels would be the ability to remove or swap their masks and perhaps a partially recovered skin that's more human (as human as the evolved Sentinel anyway) looking in the face.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    The customization I'd like to see for the Sentinels would be the ability to remove or swap their masks and perhaps a partially recovered skin that's more human (as human as the evolved Sentinel anyway) looking in the face.
    That sounds like that very modular customization people were talking about, no? Remove / swap helmet (gloves, armor, leggings) for every class would be a pretty logical start when game gets released and some resources are freed.
    Also, I agree on the case of evolved sentinels. Their helmets are most likely used for decoration, not to hide their faces. After all, their chin, lips and nose look pretty human to me. Would be good to see them flying around without helmets.

Originally Posted by Charadus
    That sounds like that very modular customization people were talking about, no? Remove / swap helmet (gloves, armor, leggings) for every class would be a pretty logical start when game gets released and some resources are freed.
    Also, I agree on the case of evolved sentinels. Their helmets are most likely used for decoration, not to hide their faces. After all, their chin, lips and nose look pretty human to me. Would be good to see them flying around without helmets.
    Corey mentioned some time ago, that fully modular skins wouldn't be feasible. The best they'd be able to manage would be a few detachable parts, although I'm hoping that extends to faces, since those appear to be static and not effected by animations. I imagine it would be possible to switch off certain polygons that might get in the way of these attachments.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Corey mentioned some time ago, that fully modular skins wouldn't be feasible. The best they'd be able to manage would be a few detachable parts, although I'm hoping that extends to faces, since those appear to be static and not effected by animations. I imagine it would be possible to switch off certain polygons that might get in the way of these attachments.
    I don't know about faces but I'd love to see what was done with Vanguard shields done for masks. I love the Prophet's Face of Malus mask but I'd love it more if it were a different color and maybe a bit spikier...And a few different styles of full mask for the Scout's Marksman Regalia, things like that.

And there is already a Sentinel skin that's more recovered and human in the face. Just get to level 25. :P

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    And there is already a Sentinel skin that's more recovered and human in the face. Just get to level 25. :P
    Try to read more carefully, I said part way. I already have a level 25 sentinel, and the other skins have lost their appeal now that I have the evolved skin. I still want some variety, though and I think customising their faces in that way would help. Implementation-wise it's technically just another mask.

I agree. Most skins are currently unappealing. Which is understandable for alpha. Maybe after the game is released the following points will be solved
    -Good ideas to implement:
    Customization (The way Vanguard shields give diversity to the Vanguard look) but for all classes such as cosmetics .(hats, masks, misc (people will pay MONEY for cosmetics).
    -Or Modifying the skins over all in terms of impressive armor, unique designs, and different animations. Not just color coating. ---Vampires, in mythology, are elegant and ruthless. Or EXTREME as depicted in underworld. ---Humans rebelling against the vampires are STRONG, Brave, AND should have Bad-Butt armor!

-Summary: The repetitive aspects of the game will turn off the average gamer. By providing customization such as cosmetics or SUPER COOL FABULOUS SKINS, there will be more likely to stay.

Either way, I'm in love with the game.
    Favorite skin: Deceiver Imperial Guard Vestments.
    Why? Because it has cool horns, and not a weird mask like the rest do. (x
    Kind Regards from Houston, Milk

GREATER CUSTOMIZATION

I'm gonna get down in funky town right now talking about a few ways that could possible increase your revenue.

Players love CUSTOMIZATION, they always have and always will. Now when I go searching through my choice of 16 or so cookie cutter skins my wallet senses do the opposite of tingle. We won't ever be able to search through as many skins as we would with League of Legends. I have a feeling this game isn't going to have 150 Pokemon.

Put me inside the minds of these characters. Allow me to; change individual pieces by acquiring new (individually pieced) equipment through battle, alternate color schemes, change facial and features, gender selection, additional voice selection.

Let's hypothetically say there is a button I could press to purchase character customization for the hunter class and also I have hypothetically pressed the button and given you 10 dollars. I would be making my hunter look different than everyone else's and his mask would be red instead of green, ya feel me? ( I haven't bought anything yet because skins are laaaaaame)

Ok, I know what all the accountants are saying right now; This would mean you can't just keep making skins like League of Legends and robbing all the children. Equipment drops in boxes that we pay MONEY for. CS GO is banking off their 2.50 boxes and all you get is like a gun with some kittens on it. I want boots and breastplates with insignia on them.

I mean you could figure something out guys. All I see right now in this game is a compilation of multiple marketing schemes that I FEEL don't fit this game. Nosgoth really encapsulates like I'm inside this crazy world. When I am fleeing a vampire my heart is racing in the fear of being cut down before I save my family, breh. Let me save my family with a different colored helmet than the other guy next to me.
    Last edited by Bazielim; 24th Mar 2015 at 16:40.

This isn't Skyrim. Facial features? You're never looking at your face. Voice selection? There's barely any spoken word.

A few individually customizable pieces, much like the Vanguard's shield, is a good idea though. But hardly priority right now.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    This isn't Skyrim. Facial features? You're never looking at your face. Voice selection? There's barely any spoken word.

A few individually customizable pieces, much like the Vanguard's shield, is a good idea though. But hardly priority right now.
    Actually I was quite taken back by the taunts from humans as they kill a vampire or vice versa. The voice acting is quite awesome. It would be nice to choose from a selection of taunts. Also, I might not be looking at my face but my enemy will be and it would feel personal remembering an enemy's face. I understand there are other balance issues that need tending to and aesthetics are on the back burner.

Originally Posted by jakelyadams
    Actually I was quite taken back by the taunts from humans as they kill a vampire or vice versa. The voice acting is quite awesome. It would be nice to choose from a selection of taunts. Also, I might not be looking at my face but my enemy will be and it would feel personal remembering an enemy's face. I understand there are other balance issues that need tending to and aesthetics are on the back burner.
    You must've gotten lucky. I hardly hear taunts. The most spoken words comes from the Summoner while everyone else is considerably more taciturn. It's honestly disappointing. I'd rather have more dialogue in general over custom taunts though. Contextual chatter between classes and such. The Zephonim are really just entirely too accepting of partnering with the winged freak traitors...

I got shot dead today prior to dealing a killing blow. The Hunter who shot me was called Melchiah. That was plenty memorable. XD

But seriously, how many features would they put in for face customization? There'd need to be a fairly large amount of options or you just run into constant duplicates like now. Seems a bit much.

I mean, if they find the time/resources and demand is there, great. As long as they don't want runestones for the options. XP

If I recall correctly, in one of the developer streams Corey was asked to talk about what is his vision for this game and what features he'd like to see make their way to Nosgoth.

Amongst them there was greater customization - where we as players get to pick the look of boots/gloves/chest armour and so forth. While that model might take a while to develop and implement, it's certainly something to look forward to.

It's way too early to speculate as to how this system will override the existing skins (as it is way deeper and complex), but my guess is that the skins that we purchase will unlock options for customization. Say I got an Imperial Guard skin for Tyrant in the past. Now with the new system I'll be able to equip the whole look, or pick some pieces that I like: say hairstyle, boots and a shoulder pad, while leaving the skin colour, wrist guards and torso of a basic Tyrant model.

Hopefully they are having preliminary thoughts about this by now and planning to give us more insight into when it's planned for release as it is a very exciting and welcome addition to both the players and the game's business model.

Allow me to recolor my skins would be a good start. Guns of Icarus sells one time use Dyes in their store. Each character skin has multiple sections they can apply colours to. If players wanted to they can spend a few dollars recoloring their avatars.

GREATER CAPITALIZATION

I'll let myself out..

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last