Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LoK: Dark Prophecy - More information unearthed (Malek & Devolved/Wolf Kain)

What puzzles me about the Reaver is how BO2 Kain can have it at the very beginning of the opening cutscene when Elder Kain clearly has it at the end of Defiance. Because at the end of SR2, Elder Kain takes the Blood Reaver, which would have become the Soul Reaver, before it was to be taken to Avernus for younger Kain to find 500 years later. Making it impossible for BO2 Kain to have the Reaver at the pillars as he would not have found it. This might have been a mistake on the developer's part, or something that would have been solved in Dark Prophecy.
    I am everywhere...and nowhere. I am everything...and nothing. I am...fear itself!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaverofCupcakes View Post
    What puzzles me about the Reaver is how BO2 Kain can have it at the very beginning of the opening cutscene when Elder Kain clearly has it at the end of Defiance.
    Kain has yet to return it to Avernus - he can do it any time, important is that he does.

It's supposed to be that at some point Elder Kain would have to go back in time so that Moebius would be able to find it to use with the whole William the Just thing, and then everything after that. Kain probably would have used the Soul Reaver to at least kill the Elder God and maybe find a way to fix Nosgoth, but the Soul Reaver would still somehow have to go back in time at some point, so that's how the two Kains can both have the same sword at the same time.

What puzzles me about the Reaver is how BO2 Kain can have it at the very beginning of the opening cutscene when Elder Kain clearly has it at the end of Defiance.
    If you read my post up there explaining that there's only ever one Reaver and that the age of the blade is the only thing that's different along the time periods, you'll see that Elder Kain has the newly formed Soul Reaver, while his younger self has a much older Soul Reaver. As stated, Elder Kain, or whomever, can return it to Avernus at any time after they are done with it, as long as it's before Younger Kain finds it in BO1's time period.

Because at the end of SR2, Elder Kain takes the Blood Reaver, which would have become the Soul Reaver, before it was to be taken to Avernus for younger Kain to find 500 years later. Making it impossible for BO2 Kain to have the Reaver at the pillars as he would not have found it. This might have been a mistake on the developer's part, or something that would have been solved in Dark Prophecy.
    First of all, BO2 Kain never has it at the Pillars, unless you mean the flashback/dream sequence of him when the Pillars fall in the opening cinematic. The Pillars are destroyed by Kain at the end of BO1, also seen from afar in the Vampire Citadel by Raziel and Janos at the end of Defiance (same time period), and Kain finds the blade in Avernus before then. As to the 500 years thing, there are a huge, huge number of years when anyone can return the blade, once Elder Kain is done with it. It could be returned the day of Younger Kain finding it, the day before, decades before, centuries before, and it doesn't have to be by Elder Kain, were he to fall after finishing his task with it. Moebius would be a prime example of someone who'd place it back there "in time." No, this was not a mistake at all.

and Elder Kain what would he wield if he returned his Soul Reaver back ?!, his own sword was destroyed in SR 1 when he hit Raziel right ?! and i can't think of Kain moving around without the Reaver

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    Janos' heart isn't run through, which may make the difference. When a vampire is staked, it's through the heart.

The "mutant" there is a regular human and isn't with the Seer. The guy does speak of her minions, but who, or what they might be, is anyone's guess. There are lesser Demons and Greater Demons, all looking like Spider things mixed with human skulls... That might be them.

His dialogue before Kain thwaps him dead:

No human, or anything else, is seen as an active participant with the Seer.

And everything has red blood and is drinkable by Kain in that game. It's yet another oddity one has to put up with. I mean everything, from the giant spiders, the lesser Demons, the Greater Demons, even the torso "Ghosts" in the Eternal Prison, nothing more than bones with horns on the skull and claws, and a dangling spine ... they all have blood Kain slurps up with reckless abandon.

I also disagree with this:

Kain is stated to have all of his abilities in Defiance, simply that they chose what powers he would actually use. That's all you have to do otherwise and not make it a big loss and gain each game like Metroid. We get that Kain won't be using all of his abilities, just some of his faves That's enough, and there's always room for improvement, like the abilities the player can perform with him as the game assesses your level of skill, or your HP going up.
    In SR2'S Sarafan killing fields, some of the vampires are impaled through the heart, some of them through the stomach, and some of them are crucified. I think the difference probably is that the vampire hunters didn't get the chance to mutilate Janos and Vorador's corpses. (In SR2, they have to run before the retreat collapses, and in blood omen Kain slaughters the crowd watching the execution. Some vampire hunter eventually finds his head and puts it on Moebius' statue, then some vampire sympathiser (maybe Kain himself) comes back and hides the body before the hunters can tear out more organs.)

I know that guy was a human, I was talking about the spider things (the ones in the canyon, not the Eternal prison) when I said 'mutant'.

I didn't elaborate on this when commenting on Squid's post, but what I mean by things being blury is that it's possible the Hylden knew the Scion of Balance would return, but couldn't see exactly who it was. They just could see that Janos would be raised after Raziel placed the Heart of Darkness back into him, realizing he got it by "murdering" the Scion of Balance. Basically, they might know of the Scion, just not that he's Kain, exactly. Raziel's presence makes the outcomes of things a bit blury for everyone. It would make sense then why the Sarafan Lord/Hylden Lord doesn't know young Kain is also the Scion, or lives to that point later.
    But the Hylden Lord has just come from fighting Kain at the pillars in that scene (in Mortanius' body) He knows Kain is the balance guardian, he knows Mortanius created him. While he's in Mortanius' body in Avernus, Morti tells Raziel that the Heart is in Kain. And he can hear what his vessel is saying, because when Janos is defeated...

Janos: Kill me, now before he returns.

HL: You should have listened to him.

[

The Sarafan Lord is also called the Hylden Lord, and he's the highest we know of. I doubt kinda that there would be someone higher than him, given the title (seemingly to suggest he's the Lord of all Hylden). Yes, he's the one who possesses Janos Audron in Defiance. He was also possessing Mortanius before this, which you see in the game. In BO1, we see the "Unspoken" in Mortanius at the Pillars use the corpse of Mortanius after Mort basically sacrifices himself, to fight Kain. Kain wins and then damns the Pillars, once he finds out he's the Balance Guardian and he's been used from the start. The blast of the Pillars destruction, you see in Defiance, sends the spirit of the Hylden Lord all of the way to the Citadel, where he takes hold of Janos.
    Well, we never see another Hylden addressing him, so there's no way of knowing for certain. He's known as the Sarafan Lord primarily, it's Janos who names him the Hylden Lord. Maybe he's the Hylden Minister in charge of Genocide.

And regarding 'what would Kain do without the Reaver, well, he got along fine in BO2 without it, and that's when he was relatively young and unevolved. He's still pretty lethal.
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

And he did fine without it in Blood Omen. Hell, I hardly used the Soul Reaver in that game since it sucked away all my magic when I hit guys and you couldn't use magic while weilding it. I liked the Flame Sword!

And regarding 'what would Kain do without the Reaver, well, he got along fine in BO2 without it
    And he did fine without it in Blood Omen.
    and this is where beast kain/wolf/mist forms come in...for the next game i mean when kain returns the SR that is.

Quote Originally Posted by majinkura View Post
    and this is where beast kain/wolf/mist forms come in...for the next game i mean when kain returns the SR that is.
    *sigh* I can't wait. I really hope that he gets all of his forms back. I can just imagine the cinematic sequence involved with turning into a wolf. It wouldn't have to be long or flashy, but I bet it will be epic.
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

Quote Originally Posted by dumah's wraith View Post
    But the Hylden Lord has just come from fighting Kain at the pillars in that scene (in Mortanius' body) He knows Kain is the balance guardian, he knows Mortanius created him. While he's in Mortanius' body in Avernus, Morti tells Raziel that the Heart is in Kain. And he can hear what his vessel is saying, because when Janos is defeated...

Janos: Kill me, now before he returns.

HL: You should have listened to him.
    Good point. Perhaps the Hylden Lord was so drunk with arrogance and deranged from his Demon Dimension imprisonment, that he thought he could murder Kain in his youth simply by being there to do it, even though that would negate Raziel ever getting his heart later on to put back into Janos and therefore the Hylden's return in the first place... Hm, maybe it was all a clever diversion to make Kain think he wanted him dead. I've actually said before once, and this goes to you statement below this on the Hylden Lord's title, that maybe this Hylden Lord wasn't the real one, but only a plant, and BO2 was just a setup for something else... Or, lol, it's just one big mistake that whatever team working on another game might have to explain away like the above, just to make it all fit... Oh well...

And hell yeah, Kain is lethal without the sword. As to BO1, flame sword is the going favorite with most, I believe. It's certainly mine. No magic taken away, swing as much as you like, and there's nothing like a flame-broiled, charred death to make one feel satisfied

Kain also has his Iron Sword, Spiked Mace, and the Axes somewhere, so he's in good shape, arsenal-wise... There's also always those extremely lethal claws.

Not to mention all of his spells and various items. Kain is a killing machine, reaver or no reaver. I equate the reaver to the machine gun you see on a tank. Necessary? Not strictly. Useful? Oh hell yes.
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)

yeah i know Kain is lethal and can go without the reaver, but it is The Weapon, i like it alot actually, being able to drain the blood of my victim into it, and it's combo and power in Defiance where great, anyway it doesn't matter, as long as they made another game (which they won't)

Holding the reaver could be one of the reasons Kain doesn't use his magic anymore. He got so used to it that he got out of practice at doing anything else, except the really useful stuff like Mist form.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_kain View Post
    ...as long as they made another game (which they won't)
    Unless you have your own Chronoplast telling you that, I'm going to disagree with you Even if "they" don't make another one, as in the same team which made the others, another one will eventually get made by someone.

...as long as they made another game (which they won't)
    *sigh* I've been in these forums for a looooong time my friend, and so have quite a few of my compadres here. Most of them have seen my rant mode, and I was considering going into it but honestly I just got off a 13 hour day of manual labor, and I'm damn tired. I'll give the short version. Take from it what you may.

Games are made to earn profit. This is the only reason. If an idea will earn enough profit, it will be used. Companies poll the public, give out various surveys, research current trends, collect mountains of data, etc. to decide if a game will earn enough profit to be worth it. You, my friend, are a scrap of data to Eidos, specifically you're a scrap that's telling them that there is no profit to be made from Legacy of Kain, so they shouldn't make one. I am also a scrap of data. I'm a scrap that busts his ass to stand out amongst the other scraps and make up for the negative data.

What does this mean? If you say there will be no new game, there will be no new game. You are literally stabbing the series to death. Granted, the wound you inflict might only be a pinprick, but enough pinpricks will bleed out our beloved series, and I can only apply so many patches. On the flip side: if you support the game, if you post in these forums, even if you criticize our chances (so long as it's constructive) then you turn into a band aid, and help to make up for the other pins trying to bleed the series out.

Please, I understand why you don't believe there will be another game, and I even sympathize with you, but please don't cement the fate. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you were wrong? We might not have much of a chance, but we do have at least a small chance, and that's all I need.

Whew! Rant mode over. That's the shortest rant I've done in awhile now. Hope no feelings are hurt on any sides, I'm not trying to launch any personal attacks on anyone, I just care about this series quite a bit.

oh no i guess you all got me wrong, i don't rant or something, i am really as hurt as all of you, i wish for a new game, enough to say that Legacy Of Kain is the only game that i think it has a story, i remember 1st time i played SR 1 at someone's place, he couldn't even leave the Abyss (the jumping thing), but i liked the intro so much, i bought it, played it, bought SR2, BO2, D, i will buy whatever comes next, and i really hope there is, i am sorry if it seemed i am ranting or stabbing the game, it was more like a way to show my grieve for one of the best series, in my point of view why would any one not consider this one of the best games ?!, any way not to make it long i apologize again, and at the same time you need to know that i fully support the game, and hope for another one, either it's this team or another one i am good as long as the story continue on, i don't know what will i do if suddenly Kain did everything right and restored the pillares, i would love to see them fall again to go full circle to another game :P

i would love to see them fall again to go full circle to another game :P
    uhhhhh....wouldn't that defeat the purpose of all of kain's hard work trying to restore them??

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel'sRevenge View Post
    *sigh* I've been in these forums for a looooong time my friend, and so have quite a few of my compadres here.

I'm a scrap that busts his ass to stand out amongst the other scraps and make up for the negative data.
    Fellow veteran here along with hylden by your side RR!

as for your other comment - HELL YEAH! TAKE THAT YA HATERS!

@ majinkura : yeah i know , but if he did what else will be the story about ?!, there will be new twists any more :P

Quote Originally Posted by majinkura View Post
    uhhhhh....wouldn't that defeat the purpose of all of kain's hard work trying to restore them??

Fellow veteran here along with hylden by your side RR!

as for your other comment - HELL YEAH! TAKE THAT YA HATERS!

Is he trying to restore them? Most of his actions so far have got to do with escaping his own fate of dying at William's tomb and then uncovering the people orchestrating his fate. The pillars are only a concern as far as their destruction affects him.

Well, what we've heard from Kain about what he wants to do is this:

Kain to Raziel in William's Chapel:
    This is where we restore ourselves, Raziel, and reclaim our intended destinies.
    It may yet be possible for me to assume my role as Balance Guardian and return the Pillars to their rightful inheritors -
    Raziel:
    -To the vampires? And this is the destiny you have urged me to discover?
    And from Defiance, when seeing the Pillars:

Kain V.O.:
    How strange to see this place long before my birth... centuries before the corruption set in that would poison the land, and put me on the treacherous path I still followed. In the future, these edifices would be condemned to darkness and decay. I would cause their fall, and build my empire upon their ruins. Was it still possible that with the right knowledge, the right moves, I might one day see Nosgoth restored, the Pillars pure once more? My answer - according to Moebius - lay somewhere to the west of this place. I could restore the world, perhaps. But never again could I give Nosgoth back her innocence.
    Sounds to me like it's a goal, like he actually longs to see things before they went all to hell. Moreover, though, I think Kain is trying to right the world before his destiny got messed up, yes. So, restoring the world, if it meant expunging the Pillars as a crutch, I am sure he'd be all for it (and so would I ).

I'd agree on the first quote being the goal. He wants to win within the rules of the game he's been made to play all along. His existence damns the pillars. It's them or vampires. That's the bind he's always had to live with since Omen. So pure pillars are the prize he's been striving for all along through Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance. That would be his way of saying "Gotcha!" to the powers of fate. If the ending doesn't include restored pillars, Kain would consider it a bust. Now he's removed himself from the bind at the end of Defiance, so that he can reclaim his role as Balance Guardian AND the pillars can also now be renewed at the same time. Time to start scrubbing those pillars with a sonic toothbrush to remove all the plaque that's gathered on them. Also, they'll need a new power cell, a spectral checkup to see they're still wired properly to receive and regulate the spiritual bounty of the planet, and like with any piece of advanced technology he'll need to thwak them in just the right spot to get them whirring again. Also, the pillars will need some replacement parts, like,.........new pillars.

Then, the time will come for the triumphant handoff of the pillars to their rightful inheritors..... so Kain will need to replenish the world's supply of vampires so there's some available to fill those vacant job openings as Guardians. PROBLEM: pillar guardians will still be chosen from birth. And vampires will still not be getting born, but only turned later in life. So I foresee the last part of Kain's goal will be the ending of the curse. The restoration isn't complete until the ancients are restored. Just as Kain came to view the turncoat BO2 vampires with disgust, I think he also decided the necro vampires of the empire era were disgusting as well with their devolving natures, which is why he turned his back on them in Soul Reaver. He'll want to beat the curse and give the world vampires he's not disgusted with--restored ancients worthy of the Circle's caretaker role.

And that is the overarching dilemma of what the next game would entail. Because although Kain can go forward into the future to kill the EG, and then go back before or during BO1 to place the Soul Reaver in Avernus, what does that all really solve? Sure, the EG wouldn't be around to greedily leech off of Nosgoth's spiritual energy and start wars merely to give him more food, but that still leaves the problem of the Hylden.

Kain was apparently scared to death of them at the end of SR2, giving the obvious impression that after their defeat in BO2, the Hylden had some grand comeback planned. But if that's true, why wouldn't Kain elaborate on it, or even Raziel, considering that if memories had shifted for Kain, it would've shifted for him as well. Because the Kain at the end of SR2 after the paradox is the one that experienced BO1, BO2, SR1, and to some extent SR2. Leaving the time between the end of BO2 and SR1 as the point the Hylden would most likely return, in order to explain Kain's horror.

For the sake of simplicity though, let's just say that the Hylden come back after BO2 and that perhaps both Kain and Raziel had too much on their minds to say anything about it. And as such, Kain would probably go back to the Ancient/Hylden War era in order to do something about it. Which considering the concept art of pre-banished Hylden, was what Kain indeed did. So now...Elder Kain goes back in time to the Ancients War era with the Hylden and Ancients throwing themselves at each other, intending to either preempt or prevent the Hylden's comeback. But how can he? According to the timeline rules, he has no free will and thus cannot change the timeline without a paradox. However I think that this is where Kain's nature as Scion of Balance comes into play.

Because in truth, what do we know about the Scion of Balance? Besides that he is some prophesied hero that will bring balance to Nosgoth. And what of his nature? Kain could apparently survive having his heart ripped out due to this. Now some of you will say that since Kain is a necrotic vampire, he doesn't need a heart to live. But let's look at the way Kain was made. Mortanius had Kain killed in BO1, and after snatching Kain's soul from the underworld, he used the heart of darkness to resurrect him as a vampire. So although Mortanius put Kain's soul back in his body, or called to it, Mortanius had to use the heart to make Kain a vampire, as he was not a vampire himself.

Now I could be wrong about this, but according to LOK lore, Kain created his lieutenants by combining a part of his vampiric soul with the soul of who he's trying to create, making their souls vampiric and thus resurrecting them as vampires. And considering the way Kain was created, he really isn't a "true" necrotic vampire and might need the heart to live. This would have seemed to be proven false in Defiance when Kain is clearly walking around and slicing up demons just fine. Remember though, in the interview with Amy Hennig, she said that Kain only survived having his heart ripped out because of his nature as the Scion of Balance.

And this is where I think the answer lies. Now I'm theorizing here, so bear with me. I'm saying that due to Kain's unique creation and possible need of his heart, he technically died when Raziel tore his heart out in Defiance, but came back to life because he was the Scion of Balance. Which might mean that he is not a part of the timeline anymore, and thus free to change history without bearing the consequences.

Because personally, I think the pillars and the Soul Reaver are the main reasons that things get so messed up. Not to say that the Elder God isn't part of the problem too. But think about it, the Ancients were coerced to fight the Hylden by the EG, then cursed by the Hylden as a result of raising the pillars and banishing them to the Demon Demension, which led to the Ancients transformation of the human pillar guardians in vampires and so on and so on. And let's not even talk about the looping destiny of the Soul Reaver and Raziel. It just seems to me that they should do away with the pillars and focus on destroying the EG so that the Hylden don't go all aggro and want to destroy all life.

Whew! That was a lot of writing. I'm sorry this post is so long, but I can't help it when LOK is concerned.
    I am everywhere...and nowhere. I am everything...and nothing. I am...fear itself!

Kain can go forward into the future to kill the EG, and then go back before or during BO1 to place the Soul Reaver in Avernus, what does that all really solve?
    Yeah. I guess they originally included that in Defiance as the end to the series, though. We don't know if the final message was to be "Now Nosgoth can start picking up the pieces," or if the removal of Elder as an 'irritant' would go a long ways toward restoring the timeline to the way it was before he twisted history around with the paradox in Omen 1. Still no obvious fix for the hylden there, but then this may have been addressed during his visit to the distant past.

Because in truth, what do we know about the Scion of Balance?
    It's a great placeholder isn't it, that 3 word term? What wonderful content it seems to promise.

due to Kain's unique creation and possible need of his heart, he technically died when Raziel tore his heart out in Defiance, but came back to life because he was the Scion of Balance. Which might mean that he is not a part of the timeline anymore, and thus free to change history without bearing the consequences.
    Or, to rephrase it so it echoes in a familiar way to LOK fans:
    "Because of your unique remaking, you alone possess free will."

Because personally, I think the pillars and the Soul Reaver are the main reasons that things get so messed up.
    They were twisted by an evil doer. It's not their fault. The reaver was to be a weapon of salvation. It got paradox-twisted into a weapon of extinction. The pillars were to augment the wonders of nature and allow sentient participation in them. Their polarity got reversed and now Nosgoth's vitality slips away and we get corruption like with that oil spill in the gulf. Does that mean we should never drill for oil again? Silly. Does the fact McDonalds makes people obese mean we should shut down McD's? Perish the thought. The $ menu is as divine as the blue winged ancients ever were. If there's setbacks in life, that doesn't mean we should no longer strive. We just need to watch our cholesterol and the health of our ocean ecology more closely, just as ancients needed to defend their destinies better against perversion by acting more responsibly. They handed their species' destiny over to an Oracle snake-oil salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
    They were twisted by an evil doer. It's not their fault. The reaver was to be a weapon of salvation. It got paradox-twisted into a weapon of extinction. The pillars were to augment the wonders of nature and allow sentient participation in them. Their polarity got reversed and now Nosgoth's vitality slips away and we get corruption like with that oil spill in the gulf. Does that mean we should never drill for oil again? Silly. Does the fact McDonalds makes people obese mean we should shut down McD's? Perish the thought. The $ menu is as divine as the blue winged ancients ever were. If there's setbacks in life, that doesn't mean we should no longer strive. We just need to watch our cholesterol and the health of our ocean ecology more closely, just as ancients needed to defend their destinies better against perversion by acting more responsibly. They handed their species' destiny over to an Oracle snake-oil salesman.
    I can see where your coming from. I was merely alluding to the possibility of the Hylden having some sort of revenge scheme in the works to conquer the Nosgoth of the future. All stemming from their madness of being trapped in the demon dimension by the pillars. But you got me thinking. What if Kain goes back in time to the Ancient War era, and using some kind of ability to purify people's sight, could coerce the Hylden and Ancients to stop fighting each other and instead lead them against the EG. Or even better, the Ancients could use the pillars to imprison the EG in the demon dimension instead of the Hylden. Thus preventing the Hylden's madness and the Ancients from ever being cursed.

No vampiric curse, no blood thirst. No blood thirst, no Sarafan. No sarafan, janos doesn't die, no heart of darkness, no Kain. No Kain, no past intervention, bang, fatal paradox. Kain knows enough about timestreaming not to risk writing himself out of history. He might go back to the Ancient v Hylden war to find out how to restore the pillars, but anything he does to heal them has to be in the future. Messing with the timeline is far too dangerous to do if you can avoid it.

Free will is not equal to being able to change history. The Wheel of fate is EG's plan for each individual, the Timestream just irons out paradoxes. Free Will is the ability to do something EG doesn't want you to. Kain could change history in killing William, but that didn't defy the fate EG had for him. His fate, as the EG wanted it was to die at Williams tomb, but RAZIEL exercised his free will and he survived. Theoretically, he should have free will from that moment, in that he isn't subject to what the EG wants, but he still can't challenge the Timestream's intentions without two reavers, and even then, he can't mess with history any way he wants. If he tries to instigate too large a change, the Timestream will expel him from history -that's the whole point of 'history abhors a paradox'. Whatever he does to heal Nosgoth has to be done in the future, after SR1.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast