Thread: Why not remake Deus Ex after Human Revolution wraps?

Why not remake Deus Ex after Human Revolution wraps?

well, why don't we make a Deus Ex mod for human revolution. kinda like Black Mesa:Source. or exactly like it.

Originally Posted by MyImmortal
    Nice idea, but would it really work?
    Wasn't Tomb Raider: Anniversary the biggest flop in the series? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I played Anniversary and enjoyed it for the trip down memory lane... but, as I pretty much knew how the story was going to unfold, I didn't find the experience that worthwhile. So if the game did flop, I can understand why...
    That damn thing gave me a wicked sense of déj* vu.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Well done, you almost managed wit there! Keep trying, you'll get there soon!

You'll notice that I didn't say "remake DXHR to play in exactly the same way that DX1 does" - instead, I suggested remaking it with "the gameplay style and complexity of the original." There's a difference between the two.

You'll also notice, if you've levelled up your perception stat sufficiently, that I was not necessarily saying this as a 100% serious suggestion.
    The only problem I have with you is that every time I see one of your posts, it's hopelessly negative. If you're so upset about this game (which I'm not sure why you would be since you haven't played it or seen it in motion) then why would you routinely visit the website? If you have made up your mind that this is not a game that you would like and that you won't be getting it when it comes out, why would you still be such an active forum member?

The way you talk about the game is like you know for a fact that it is terrible. I find that annoying because it's not even a finished product yet and none of us have gotten our hands on it. It's totally reasonable to have opinions and preferences in terms of what you want in the game but it's unreasonable to actually expect them to meet your preferences perfectly. The people who make these games work very hard for several years to do so. They want to make the game that they want to make; not the one that you want. If you want a game that meets all of your desires, you will need to get into game design and try to make one yourself. Otherwise, you're free to like or dislike the games that real game developers make but I don't think you should dedicate yourself to being a whiner and complainer about the work that these people are doing.

From the looks of it, the game is coming along nicely and it will probably be good but you're not going to see that, are you? Unless the game fits within your little bubble, you will write it off and even attempt to exert political pressure on others to write it off. Meanwhile, the game could be a 9.5 with tons of great aspects that other people enjoy.

demon_boy, Ashpolt is harmless. He won't like to admit it, but he will play DX:HR, for sure.

Ain't that right, Ash?
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I wish I wouldn't have to constantly read 'if you don't like HR, why bother posting on these forums?'

What a totalitarian mindset.

And no, no reason at all to reimagine, recreate, reinvent -or whatever PR euphimism you want to use- the original DX. I think HR got that covered.

The harsh tones are meant to strike fear in the developer's mind and cause them to rip out 3rd-person transitions and health regeneration.
    signature image

Originally Posted by demon boy
    The only problem I have with you is that every time I see one of your posts, it's hopelessly negative. If you're so upset about this game (which I'm not sure why you would be since you haven't played it or seen it in motion) then why would you routinely visit the website? If you have made up your mind that this is not a game that you would like and that you won't be getting it when it comes out, why would you still be such an active forum member?

The way you talk about the game is like you know for a fact that it is terrible. I find that annoying because it's not even a finished product yet and none of us have gotten our hands on it. It's totally reasonable to have opinions and preferences in terms of what you want in the game but it's unreasonable to actually expect them to meet your preferences perfectly. The people who make these games work very hard for several years to do so. They want to make the game that they want to make; not the one that you want. If you want a game that meets all of your desires, you will need to get into game design and try to make one yourself. Otherwise, you're free to like or dislike the games that real game developers make but I don't think you should dedicate yourself to being a whiner and complainer about the work that these people are doing.

From the looks of it, the game is coming along nicely and it will probably be good but you're not going to see that, are you? Unless the game fits within your little bubble, you will write it off and even attempt to exert political pressure on others to write it off. Meanwhile, the game could be a 9.5 with tons of great aspects that other people enjoy.
    Oddly, i can't find anything like "don't visit the forums except if you love the devs and will praise what they are doing" or "no criticism is allowed" amongst the (otherwise very restrictive) forum rules.

So can you explain me please why can't somebody hang around here and have some discussion with like-minded people, even if she/he most likely won't buy this game and is a bit bitter about the direction it's going. (Also, do you think that it is the only measure of interest if someone's going to buy the game when it comes out or not?)

Originally Posted by Ilves
    I wish I wouldn't have to constantly read 'if you don't like HR, why bother posting on these forums?'

What a totalitarian mindset.

And no, no reason at all to reimagine, recreate, reinvent -or whatever PR euphimism you want to use- the original DX. I think HR got that covered.

How could you like or dislike HR? It's not even out yet. I don't subscribe to the point of view that "if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all". I think constructive criticism is important but in this forum that's not what I'm seeing. I keep seeing a lot of childish kicking and screaming from people who want the game to be made to their desires.

Also there is a difference between speculation and analysis. Since the game isn't here yet, we can only speculate. I get it; a lot of people are against some of the changes being made. Particularly, the regenerating health system and 3d person cover system seem to have been singled out. At this point, however, those design decisions have already been made and implemented. If you feel 100% certain that you cannot play a game with these features, this is obviously not going to be the game for you.

My outlook is that, while I loved the original DX, I don't consider it perfect and I'm open to new ideas that will be implemented in the new game. The use of 3d person kind of rubs me the wrong way but, again, I'm open to it. If they build a system that works really well, I will enjoy it. I actually have no problem whatsoever with regenerating health. Using medkits is not a game mechanic that I hold in high regard anyways.

I guess my main point is that life is too short to get hung up on little details and allow them to make you miserable. If the game comes out and it's terrible, I'll be the first to * about it in the forums but why complain without concrete knowledge that it's not working?

why would you still be such an active forum member?
    you will write it off and even attempt to exert political pressure on others to write it off.

You really need to look over this forum from the past 2.5 years. I put myself in the same boat as Ash, so I'm going to you give my answer to those questions.

Exert political pressure? Hell yes!

Like many people I am sick and tired of the same old development cycle going through the games industry at the moment. Simplified game mechanics like third person, auto health regen, little or no stats to speak of - you know what I mean. It's all a part of it. Fortunately, there are people prepared to put the kind of pressure you are talking about onto developers - and they need to have that kind of pressure - or would you prefer the games industry to end up as a hollywood clone?

^ End up?

The main reason not to remake Deus Ex is how it would look.

Let's be honest: Deus Ex was a particularly ugly game for the time it came out. Its textures were lower resolution and its models were lower quality than other titles that came out around the same time. So, like with a lot of mid to late 90's games that were that simple, the brain fills a lot of gaps, and what most people's brains filled the gaps with is probably going to be a lot different from how Ion Storm Austin intended it, or how another team would approach it.

That said it'd be nice to get some of the innovations that have recently become common in the industry (contextual third person, maybe iron sights) and an overhaul of the skill system. Maybe expand swimming into 'athletics', rebalance values, etc.

Originally Posted by Bluey71
    Like many people I am sick and tired of the same old development cycle going through the games industry at the moment. Simplified game mechanics like third person, auto health regen, little or no stats to speak of - you know what I mean. It's all a part of it. Fortunately, there are people prepared to put the kind of pressure you are talking about onto developers - and they need to have that kind of pressure - or would you prefer the games industry to end up as a hollywood clone?
    Agreed!
    Look at what is happening:

System shock 2 turned into the dumbed down Bioshock
    Unreal Tournament became the consolized UT3
    Thief ended with the consolized Deadly Shadows
    Supreme Commander became the p.o.s. that is Supreme Commander 2
    Deus Ex ended with the consolized Invisible War and now the dumbed down/consolized Human Revolution

and there are many, many other examples! You'd think with all the complaining the developers would notice...

There was a thread like this already... albeit in the original DX forums:

Should Deus Ex be remade?

The opinion I expressed there remains.
    "The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."

Originally Posted by Wunderbar_007
    Unreal Tournament became the consolized UT3
    And still some people are playing it.

Originally Posted by BlazeL
    And still some people are playing it.
    You got me

...me and the 100 others worldwide.

Originally Posted by VirtualTrek
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Lol. It shouldnt be that hard, like mentioned, the game is already done, theres no need to waste time and resources figuring out how the game will be, because the game is already done. Not to mention that the engine that they are constantly working on for DX:HR would be polished and finished up. That would speed things up as well, as would the fact that the team would be accostumed to it too.

All they would have to do is get the original voice-actors back, improve on certain voice-overs if need be and follow the lead of the original game. I think it would be nice. Maybe even remake DX:IW while you are at it.

Hell, do both and release it as a combo. Lol.

That is a lot more work than you make it out to be, and getting old talent back to redo voice work is probably not going to happen. It's notions like that which make it very difficult to remake games... because loyal fans won't accept change easily, and to remake a game, you have to change it. For better or for worse.

A simple HD remix might be doable, just tweak the current game to support modern gaming hardware in a more direct sense, then make a HD texture pass on everything... and maybe, maybe update the character models for more poly definition. I doubt they'll revisit the game any more than that, if at all. Really though, the old game is fine, do we really need a re-release?

You can forget them porting the original Deus Ex to the new engine though... the only way they would do that is if they were ready to remake the game from the ground up... and probably change everything in the process. A recipe for disaster as I see it.

Originally Posted by Ilves
    ^ End up?
    Ye I know. The thing is to remain true to what you want and don't give up - simplification is bringing in the dollars at the moment but, we can help bring an end to that - in whatever small way. My suggestion is, if you don't like how DX3 sounds, looks or plays post release - don't buy it, or at least don't pay top whack for it, wait for the budget release.

As I like to say, vote with your wallet, not your mouth

Nice to see a few of people jumping to my aid here, thanks guys! What a cosy community!

To answer a few of your questions, demon boy:

If you're so upset about this game (which I'm not sure why you would be since you haven't played it or seen it in motion) then why would you routinely visit the website? If you have made up your mind that this is not a game that you would like and that you won't be getting it when it comes out, why would you still be such an active forum member?
    There are a few reasons for this:

1) Habit, pure and simple. I've been on this forum for over 2 years now, and checking it regularly has become a habit.

2) There are a number of members on here that I get on with, and I like seeing what they have to say about the game.

3) I like debating stuff. I like it even more when people can debate stuff intelligently, and without resorting to pointless ad-hominem. This forum, by and large, gets more intelligent members than most of the rest of the internet.

4) Eidos Montreal (apparently) read the forums, and listen to what the fans think. I'm yet to see any evidence of this whatsoever, but it might be true I guess, and so if all the people who have a problem with the direction they're taking the game - and I'm certainly not alone in this, even after the influx of members since the trailer, I'd say we're still in the majority - leave (or get banned....) and all they're left with is people shouting "Yay I love everything!", then they're going to keep adding more nonsense features.

5) This site has no image signatures and a fairly sombre colour scheme, which makes it easy to browse when I'm bored at work.

The way you talk about the game is like you know for a fact that it is terrible. I find that annoying because it's not even a finished product yet and none of us have gotten our hands on it.
    No, but I have the power of intuition. I've been playing games most of my life, and I generally find that there's no smoke without fire - i.e. if it looks like it's going to be terrible, that's probably because it is.

It's totally reasonable to have opinions and preferences in terms of what you want in the game but it's unreasonable to actually expect them to meet your preferences perfectly.
    I don't expect them to meet my preferences perfectly. I do, however, expect them to meet the preferences of the fanbase in a broad sense, and thus far majoratively they're not even in the ballpark.

The people who make these games work very hard for several years to do so. They want to make the game that they want to make; not the one that you want.
    As I've said many times before, if they want to make the game they want to make, they shouldn't be creating a sequel / prequel to an established intellectual property, much less one that's so acclaimed as Deus Ex. If they want to make an open-ended hybrid of Rainbow Six Vegas, Bioshock and Halo, then that sounds like a fantastic chance to start up a new IP. It doesn't, however, sound like Deus Ex.

If you want a game that meets all of your desires, you will need to get into game design and try to make one yourself. Otherwise, you're free to like or dislike the games that real game developers make but I don't think you should dedicate yourself to being a whiner and complainer about the work that these people are doing.
    Firstly, I would love to get into game design, but the fact that I can't code in anything more complex than QBasic (so I can't start low and rise through the ranks) and also can't just "jump in" at that level both prove fairly strong real-world barriers to that idea.

Secondly, the idea that "you can't criticise something if you can't do better" is nonsense. Ever disliked anything professionally made, ever? Exactly.

From the looks of it, the game is coming along nicely and it will probably be good but you're not going to see that, are you?
    When DX3 was first announced, I created a thread on my forum (which I still keep updated for the 3 other people over there who care) entitled "Deus Ex 3 in the works!!!!!!11111" That should give you an idea of how excited I was about that news. I've not been against this project from the start, as most "anti-whiner whiners" seem to think: I was, in fact, overjoyed by the prospect of another Deus Ex game. I'm also the guy who got up very early last week so I could buy the first magazine to have concrete details of this game, and then write a 2000 word summary of the key points of the article, because I had hope that despite my misgivings, EM would've listened to overwhelmingly negative fan reaction to certain gameplay elements and made them optional - or at least I hoped that they wouldn't be as bad as I expected.

The fact that I'm not enthusiastic now, after devouring literally every scrap of information about this game that I can get my hands on, is solely the fault of Eidos Montreal for failing to craft a game that excites me in the same way Deus Ex did. I want to like this game as much as anyone else on here.

Unless the game fits within your little bubble, you will write it off...
    Find me any post where I've said I want exactly the same gameplay as DX1 but with better graphics, and I'll give you a pat on the back and a cookie.

I have nothing against change as a concept, and indeed there are a few changes in DX3 that I'm happy about - continued world awareness while hacking, better AI - but unlike a seemingly large number of people, I do realise that there is a difference between "change is good" and "this particular change is good." Saying I don't like third person and regenerating health doesn't mean I don't like any change whatsoever.

and even attempt to exert political pressure on others to write it off. Meanwhile, the game could be a 9.5 with tons of great aspects that other people enjoy.
    This is absolutely laughable! What ability do I have to exert "political pressure" on anyone? I'm just one semi-anonymous guy on an internet forum. The idea that I have any kind of power to exert political pressure on this forum is priceless!

Finally, I'd suggest that any post beginning with the words:

The only problem I have with you...
    ...should probably be handled via PM. If you want to debate the game and it's merits, I'm all up for that. If you want to debate my posting style or my reason / right to post on this forum, then please take it to PM. Thanks.

And @MyImmortal: I'll definitely play a demo if they release one, but beyond that I don't know right now. Suffice to say, if the game is as bad as I'm expecting, I won't be helping EM to finance DX4.

1. I don't expect them to meet my preferences perfectly. I do, however, expect them to meet the preferences of the fanbase in a broad sense, and thus far majoratively they're not even in the ballpark.

2. As I've said many times before, if they want to make the game they want to make, they shouldn't be creating a sequel / prequel to an established intellectual property, much less one that's so acclaimed as Deus Ex. If they want to make an open-ended hybrid of Rainbow Six Vegas, Bioshock and Halo, then that sounds like a fantastic chance to start up a new IP. It doesn't, however, sound like Deus Ex.

3. Secondly, the idea that "you can't criticise something if you can't do better" is nonsense. Ever disliked anything professionally made, ever? Exactly.

4. The fact that I'm not enthusiastic now, after devouring literally every scrap of information about this game that I can get my hands on, is solely the fault of Eidos Montreal for failing to craft a game that excites me in the same way Deus Ex did. I want to like this game as much as anyone else on here.

Ok, I read your entire response but in the interest of saving space, I pulled out the points I really want to respond to. I'm not trying to start some drawn out argument but I generally feel that there is a difference between offering constructive criticism and what you have done.

1. Who is this fanbase you're talking about? If your idea of the fanbase is limited to hardcore DX1 fans who participate in the forum, you're only talking about a very small percentage of the people who will make up the fanbase for DX: HR. As such, they are under no obligation to adhere to this group's wishes. In fact, they are under no obligation to adhere to the wishes of anyone but themselves. The IP is theirs and they can do what they want with it.

2. As I've said in the past, games like Super Mario, Zelda and Metal gear have all undergone drammatic transformation throughout the life-span of the IP. There have been changes in the perspective, gameplay mechanics and even genre. There is no magic rule that says an IP must remain within certain parameters.

3. I never said you can't criticise the game but I prefer to read valid criticism rather than broken-record complaints about the same couple of gameplay mechanics. You can certainly make inferences about how you think the game will play but you do not know how the game will play because you haven't played the game nor have you seen anyone else play it. As such, it's a little excessive to condemn the game and the developers as failures. To be completely honest, I didn't like the idea of 3d person transitions either but to offer some type of final judgement on it prior to even seeing how it works is somewhat ignorant. Everybody's a critic these days but repeating the same complaints over and over again is not going to somehow make the developers decide to abandon their vision for the game.

4. This is the crux of my issue with your comments. You see this as Eidos failing to excite you but the reality is that this is not about you. They are making a game that they believe will be great. Of course, not everyone is going to like it. When making sequels to games, movies or any other type of entertainment, there will always be harcore fans of the original who reject the new direction you go in. As a creative person, however, you cannot allow these people to stop you from doing what you feel is best because if you listened to them, you would end up with something that is uninspired and not unique and just designed to bring back the experience of the original.

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    The harsh tones are meant to strike fear in the developer's mind and cause them to rip out 3rd-person transitions and health regeneration.
    Ah ah. No way. They are already set inside their little bubble.
    They have to be professionals from now on. And we'll continue to be fans.

OH GOD AND JESUS, NO.

Ruining the series is bad enough, but actually having the gall to try and "better" the original game with their third person, regenerating health bollocks is a step beyond.

How about once they've released DXHR, they remake DXHR, keeping the plot and visual style the same but giving it the gameplay style and complexity of the original? Now that, I'd buy.
    Considering what I'm seeing and the little I learned, I would have to reconsider my previous wish. So I tottaly agree with this.

Taking your cue and only responding to the relevant points:

1. Who is this fanbase you're talking about?
    My idea of "the fanbase" is anyone who liked DX1 and / or 2. I am by no means saying that EM shouldn't try to attract a new audience as well, but they've got to make a game that will appeal to those who liked the previous games - otherwise why make a prequel / sequel at all? Why not (as I've said several times) make a new IP?

2. As I've said in the past, games like Super Mario, Zelda and Metal gear have all undergone drammatic transformation throughout the life-span of the IP.
    And as I've said in the past in response to you raising that point, but you completely ignored it, all of those titles went through significant change because their early iterations were severely limited by the technology of the time. Had Miyamoto been given N64 level technology back in 1985, I doubt we would've seen Super Mario Bros, he'd've gone straight to something like Mario 64 from the start, ditto Zelda and Metal Gear. This isn't the case though: Warren Spector et al could've put third person cover / other third person bits into Deus Ex, the technology was there (though it may have been somewhat cruder) but they chose first person because it fit their brief of an "immersive simulation" more closely. In addition, regenerating health was in there (albeit in a fashion with more depth than we're likely to see in DXHR) but it wasn't forced on the player, it was presented as a choice.

3. I never said you can't criticise the game but I prefer to read valid criticism rather than broken-record complaints about the same couple of gameplay mechanics.
    And I hate to read broken-record complaints about how anyone complaining about any changes EM makes only want to see DX1 with better graphics.

On a more serious note, complaints don't become any less valid because they're repeated. We don't say "Oh, third person was a terrible design choice, but we've been complaining about it for 2 years now so it's no longer relevant." Additionally, if I repeat myself, it's because I'm responding to the same old points being made time and time again on the "opposite" side as well.

You can certainly make inferences about how you think the game will play but you do not know how the game will play because you haven't played the game nor have you seen anyone else play it.
    True, but I have read my exact complaints echoed in the sentiment of someone who has seen the game being played. Remember that PC Gamer article I summarised last week? That's taken from watching someone play the game, and he directly expresses concern about the overuse of third person.

4. This is the crux of my issue with your comments. You see this as Eidos failing to excite you but the reality is that this is not about you. They are making a game that they believe will be great. Of course, not everyone is going to like it.
    See my response to your first point.

As a creative person, however, you cannot allow these people to stop you from doing what you feel is best because if you listened to them, you would end up with something that is uninspired and not unique and just designed to bring back the experience of the original.
    Firstly, Eidos Montreal have said repeatedly in interviews that their intention is to "bring back the experience of the original." It's one of their design goals, allegedly.

Secondly, and I've said this before, in the last couple of days, possibly in direct response to one of your posts (again) - Eidos Montreal is not a "creative person." All game design choices are made by committee, and each of the people involved in these decisions will have their own idea of how things should go, so there is no one unifying "creative vision" behind any of this, just a series of executive decisions.

Finally, other than the art style (which I'll freely admit that I really like,) nothing about DXHR is inspired or unique, it's just a hotpot of game mechanics which happen to have been popular recently. If they truly were doing something different, then maybe that I could get behind (depending on quality - "different" doesn't always mean better) but they're not.

It seems evident that EM have managed to appeal to those who liked the previous games, judging from the positive comments to be read on other gaming forums. Even on this forum, and despite ashpolt having argued the same points in many threads (as he is quite at liberty to do, of course), we had two separate polls asking if fans will buy the game and the majority voted that they will. So, I think we can pretty much agree that there is appeal 'out there' and 'in here', so that must mean (using Ashpolt's logic, if I may) that EM are justified in making a prequel/sequel... and this is without even considering the fact that the story links to the original game. Bonus!

EM said they wish to bring back the "experience" of the original; not to "remake" the original. That's the general distinction that most people understand, I believe.

Eidos Montreal's dev team comprise of creative individuals, including the writers and artists. They all got together and discussed the history of the previous two games and shared their ideas and visions for DX:HR and thereafter agreed where they were going and created said game.
    signature image

It seems evident that EM have managed to appeal to those who liked the previous games, judging from the positive comments to be read on other gaming forums. Even on this forum, and despite ashpolt having argued the same points in many threads (as he is quite at liberty to do, of course), we had two separate polls asking if fans will buy the game and the majority voted that they will. So, I think we can pretty much agree that there is appeal 'out there' and 'in here', so that must mean (using Ashpolt's logic, if I may) that EM are justified in making a prequel/sequel... and this is without even considering the fact that the story links to the original game. Bonus!

EM said they wish to bring back the "experience" of the original; not to "remake" the original. That's the general distinction that most people understand, I believe.

Eidos Montreal's dev team comprise of creative individuals, including the writers and artists. They all got together and discussed the history of the previous two games and shared their ideas and visions for DX:HR and thereafter agreed where they were going and created said game.
    Quite honestly, I believe a number of the changes they've made (including the cover system) will allow me to play Human Revolution the way I always wanted to play Deus Ex; as a sneaky ninja assassin!

Obviously stealth was in the original game, but it was rather gimped and never worked especially well. With the cover system, and the new stealth takedowns, Jensen will be more like Sam Fisher... but with the option to go Rambo when he trips some Alarm with a loud fart.

Then when you take into account that it's still a story-driven Deus Ex game, with lots of NPCs to talk to, and side-quests, and multi-path solutions, and interesting locations to explore, conspiracies, terminal hacking, heavily armored patrol bots, choices that have series consequences... Yeah, I'm still quite hopeful about this title.
    signature image

Quite honestly, I believe a number of the changes they've made (including the cover system) will allow me to play Human Revolution the way I always wanted to play Deus Ex; as a sneaky ninja assassin!
    Yeah, same here. I prefer sneaky stealth to crazed combat.

Obviously stealth was in the original game, but it was rather gimped and never worked especially well. With the cover system, and the new stealth takedowns, Jensen will be more like Sam Fisher... but with the option to go Rambo when he trips some Alarm with a loud fart.
    Oh, lol, that made me laugh!!

Then when you take into account that it's still a story-driven Deus Ex game, with lots of NPCs to talk to, and side-quests, and multi-path solutions, and interesting locations to explore, conspiracies, terminal hacking, heavily armored patrol bots, choices that have series consequences... Yeah, I'm still quite hopeful about this title.
    You and me both, Pinky.... and thousands of others too, it seems.
    signature image

Yeah, same here. I prefer sneaky stealth to crazed combat.

Oh, lol, that made me laugh!!

You and me both, Pinky.... and thousands of others too, it seems.
    Ditto.
    For when you're too lazy to repost your side of an argument/discussion: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115406

Page 2 of 5 First First 12345 Last