Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: Who is she?!? (The Distressed One) - Megan Reed - Latest: related to Janice Reed?

Who is she?!? (The Distressed One) - Megan Reed - Latest: related to Janice Reed?

Who is she?!? (The Distressed One) - Megan Reed - Latest: related to Janice Reed?

We all saw this amazing new trailer, right?

And since I've been wondering for a while if women will play an important role in DX: HR, this is really teasing me. Who is she?!?

Who is this woman who screams Adam's name in despair as he is being thrown out the window? Is she Adam's friend/coworker or girlfriend/wife? Were they even in a relationship before the game starts?

I think it would make Adam more human and the story even deeper if caught up in a big conspiracy, Adam was fighting for his life and the idea of reuniting with his loved one once again.

I find myself very interested in what you guys think about this. Do you have any assumption on who she is? Or maybe someone knows for sure.

Cheers.

Latest images (December 2010):

It sure feels like she's someone important to Adam, love interest the most obvious answer. And that might be a problem. In a game like Deus Ex, so immersive it blurs the lines between you and the character you play, having a love interest imposed on you can create an uncomfortable dissonance, a rift.

Great thread!

I can't see an engagement or wedding ring on her finger, so perhaps not a love interest.
    She could be his sister... which would explain the intense emotion.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Well, it's a no-brainer that she's Adam's girlfriend. Now if she's his sister or mother, that'd be an original take. >_>

Looking at the shots individually though, it's hard to cross the uncanny valley here.

Sister!

That would fit in perfectly!

JC had a brother, why not sister this time.

And it should spare us boring Final Fantasy-ish love interest story

Going on the sister angle, she does look a lot similar to Adam, if you compare the face structure...

Originally Posted by Sabretooth
    Looking at the shots individually though, it's hard to cross the uncanny valley here.
    Meh, I find the same applies even to natural, live fotage. Pick a random frame of someone talking and there's a big chance it'll look awkward.

One thing is sure from those pics. We have a screamer here!

I just realized, Barrett says "you'll never find em" and later Adam says "I'll never stop looking", could mean answers, could mean for her.

I don't see it

Originally Posted by Corpus
    I just realized, Barrett says "you'll never find em" and later Adam says "I'll never stop looking", could mean answers, could mean for her.

I don't see it
    No I think that's about the "people" who are "hiding in shadows, behind proxy soldiers", but I am not excluding your idea

Originally Posted by jeanfoutsa
    I've been wondering for a while if women will play an important role in DX: HR
    What does that even mean? Deus Ex is about humanity, not genders. =/
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Originally Posted by MyImmortal
    Great thread!

I can't see an engagement or wedding ring on her finger, so perhaps not a love interest.
    She could be his sister... which would explain the intense emotion.
    Sometimes people wear the engangment ring on the right hand and the wedding on the left. And probably they haven't got married yet.

Maybe they are not engaged either.

It is 50/50 for now if its a girlfriend or a sister.

Or maybe they're just bros. That would be a refreshing change of pace. A male/female friendship that ISN'T a sister OR a love interest.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    Or maybe they're just bros. That would be a refreshing change of pace. A male/female friendship that ISN'T a sister OR a love interest.
    I like it

Well, it is kinda possible but I wouldn't consider it.
    Usually between 2 friends with opposite genders, that are very very close indeed (she is screaming like a *), they just cannot stay just friends, you know.
    Besided we have anime style and stuff.

Originally Posted by Sotsiak
    Usually between 2 friends with opposite genders, that are very very close indeed (she is screaming like a *), they just cannot stay just friends, you know.
    I do know, and I know that you're wrong. Just because YOU'RE incapable of separating your emotional channels doesn't mean everybody is. A few of my really close friends are women, and I know at least two of them would scream if I got thrown out a window.

Well, it is kinda possible but I wouldn't consider it.
    Besided we have anime style and stuff.
    True.. But still, it could be the case. I personally think it's his sister, since DX was never very luurv-based.

EDIT:
    I do know, and I know that you're wrong. Just because YOU'RE incapable of separating your emotional channels doesn't mean everybody is. A few of my really close friends are women, and I know at least two of them would scream if I got thrown out a window.
    LOL

I understand, as I said it is kinda possible. Also you may be gay, who knows.
    I am actually sure though, this is not the case.(about close friends)

I understand, as I said it is kinda possible. Also you may be gay, who knows.
    I am actually sure though, this is not the case.(about close friends)
    You're operating on the assumption that the only way anybody could care enough about a person to want to yell as they're being thrown out a window while they're powerless to stop it is if they have some kind of romantic attachment going on. Some of us just love our friends, you know?

She's sorta kinda important to the game! Hehe! But I won't answer any of the questions! I know, I know, so frustrating! Tease.

Originally Posted by René
    Hehe! But I won't answer any of the questions! I know, I know, so frustrating! Tease.
    Then at least do this:

Go to the people who were responsible for the visual and audio design of what we've seen so far and congratulate them for a job well, well done.

Then go to the people who are designing gameplay mechanics and tell them the forumites said "It's your turn to show us something".

Originally Posted by Tecman
    Then go to the people who are designing gameplay mechanics, slap them and tell them they've got 5 minutes to get their things and leave before you release the hounds.
    *Fixed.

Then at least do this:

Go to the people who were responsible for the visual and audio design of what we've seen so far and congratulate them for a job well, well done.

Then go to the people who are designing gameplay mechanics and tell them the forumites said "It's your turn to show us something".
    +1. Beat me to the post.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Then at least do this:

And say it in a voice like Adam or JC.

On topic:

Having a sister would be a cool twist. Deus Ex needs some sort of emotional attachment character so that you get the impression that you have a family. I remember Warren said once that the development team didn't like the whole brother/family factor and they wanted to dump it. But Warren said that it had to be there. Thinking about it now that whole sub plot with Paul is one of my favorite moment's in Deus Ex.

If it's a love interest, well I'm down (I was the one to post the idea in the first place.) , but I have a feeling that it would be much harder to pull a love interest off in a Deus Ex game over a sister. In order for it to work the player needs to feel attached to the character and getting attached to Paul was easy because form the vary get go you have an understanding that you two are related, you are family. Romance is something that is a lot harder to pull off. Not saying it can't be done but the character in question would need to make a lot of effort to win the affection of the player. Something that is going to be easier on male players then female players. Logically this character (like so many in Deus Ex) is going to live or die based on the action's of the player, and if the character can't get the player to at lest try and save their life, then it was all for nothing.

Really at this point the big question is can EM pull it off?

Short answer? No.

Long answer? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last