Page 5 of 5 First First 12345

Thread: Why Robin might ruin things.

Why Robin might ruin things.

Robin was in the first game...sorta
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

I've been playing some Arkham Asylum lately and I've also been playing some Donkey Kong Country and right now I really hope they incorporate Robin in the game not only as a playable character but as an optional AI partner.

Donkey Kong reminded me of how being able to switch between two characters changes up the dynamic of things. Choose Donkey for a stronger offense or Diddy for more agility and jump between the two to maximize efficiency. Batman and Robin work similar, with Batman being more combat ready and with Robin being more agile. I think introducing this Dynamic to Arkham Asylum would be very cool and add a new measure of depth to it.

Of course if Robin is announced to be in the game in any capacity morons will sputter about how it will ruin it but when it comes time to play the game they'll eat crow. Happened last year when gamers first learned the game was a linear adventure rather than a free-roamer in Gotham. "But i want teh batmobile in gothum!!!"
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    I've been playing some Arkham Asylum lately and I've also been playing some Donkey Kong Country and right now I really hope they incorporate Robin in the game not only as a playable character but as an optional AI partner.

Donkey Kong reminded me of how being able to switch between two characters changes up the dynamic of things. Choose Donkey for a stronger offense or Diddy for more agility and jump between the two to maximize efficiency. Batman and Robin work similar, with Batman being more combat ready and with Robin being more agile. I think introducing this Dynamic to Arkham Asylum would be very cool and add a new measure of depth to it.

Of course if Robin is announced to be in the game in any capacity morons will sputter about how it will ruin it but when it comes time to play the game they'll eat crow. Happened last year when gamers first learned the game was a linear adventure rather than a free-roamer in Gotham. "But i want teh batmobile in gothum!!!"
    That sounds cool, but the AI better be good before they make Robin as an AI Partner a possibility. Come to think of it I think that they should only do it in certain levels, and others you go solo.
    Originally Posted by Batman
    If detective work were easy... everyone would be doing it.
    Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Was that... humor? Now I AM worried about you.

Why not make it an option to call Robin or send his ass packin?

In stealth levels he could just hang out in the rafters out of sight and out of reach.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Why not make it an option to call Robin or send his ass packin?

In stealth levels he could just hang out in the rafters out of sight and out of reach.
    Actuallt that would be pretty damn cool. And in the comics if Batman tells Robin he usually follows him anyway, so it would make perfect sense. Its genius, really.

What is the point of robin anyway?

Originally Posted by Hadi
    What is the point of robin anyway?
    To watch Batman's back, recon from different vantage points, to aid in hand-to-hand combat and in general to lend support on the battlefield. Asking "what is the point of Robin?" is like asking "Why do cops have partners?"

Two brains are better than one, four eyes are better than two, four ears are better than two and eight limbs are better than four,

To watch Batman's back, recon from different vantage points, to aid in hand-to-hand combat and in general to lend support on the battlefield. Asking "what is the point of Robin?" is like asking "Why do cops have partners?"

Two brains are better than one, four eyes are better than two, four ears are better than two and eight limbs are better than four,
    Ok Batman is nothing like a cop so don't compare and I think Batman has more than enough brain and strength to handle any situation. I really just hate the idea of robin cause any time I see robin it just means we get less of Batman and more of a kid. I hate teen heroes too. Except Nightwing who I believe is by far the best after Batman. Unless Rocksteady can pull off a good robin or Nightwing i will be on the lone wolf Batman side.

Ok Batman is nothing like a cop so don't compare
    He is an unofficially cop, whos badge happens to be the Bat symbol. Robin's symbol is the R. The comparison works here perfectly.
    and I think Batman has more than enough brain and strength to handle any situation
    But that doesn't mean he can be anywhere and everywhere in Gotham. This is why he has Oracle to help the heroes out with maps, coordinates and so forth. Do you know how much time Batman would lose if he had to find these answers himself? Valuable seconds stretch to minutes. So yeah Batman having his partners and other vigilantes in Gotham city is nothing more than a good thing.
    I really just hate the idea of robin cause any time I see robin it just means we get less of Batman and more of a kid.
    Depends solely on the writer and story.
    I hate teen heroes too
    May i ask why?

Ok Batman is nothing like a cop so don't compare and I think Batman has more than enough brain and strength to handle any situation. I really just hate the idea of robin cause any time I see robin it just means we get less of Batman and more of a kid. I hate teen heroes too. Except Nightwing who I believe is by far the best after Batman. Unless Rocksteady can pull off a good robin or Nightwing i will be on the lone wolf Batman side.
    Dead wrong.

Example off the top of my head:

Bane has taken control of a floating nuclear power plant. Bane has planted bombs all over the thing and its crawling with thugs. Batman can either fight Bane or take out the bombs and thugs. Bane is shooting every cop that comes near, whether they come in a helicopter or a boat. Bane is just wasting time to get the reactor up to full power so he can detonate the bombs. There is a limited amount of time and not enough to disconnect all the bombs/thugs and take down Bane.

If Batman were on his own in that situation he would have to choose between Gotham being destroyed or having dozens of cops die by Bane's hand. Since Batman had Robin on his side Robin was able to handle the bombs while Batman took down Bane.

Another purpose Robin has is being an apprentice. If Batman ever dies Robin has all the training he needs to continue the campaign, should he choose.

Some people have also argued that Robins are also a defense mechanism. That if Batman goes crazy and goes rogue the Robins have all the knowledge of his technology, of his fighting techniques and know what make him tic mentally.

Anyways, even without Robin Batman is not a lone wolf. His "I work alone" schitck is bollocks. He's has Gordon. He has Alfred. He has Oracle. Alfred maintain's Batman's home base, treats his wounds and provides emotional support. Gordon is Batman's ally in law-enforcement. Oracle supploes Batman with the information he needs. All three of these people help Batman in an essential way and if he didn't have them he would be in serious trouble. Thats not even counting "depending on the continuity or time period" people like Leslie Thompson or Lucius Fox.

Cliffnotes: You're being ignorant.

They are also used as a distraction technique

Distracion as in an alibi?

Probably more like the diversion someone has to be in a movie, so the other characters can slip behind the enemy unnoticed Cannon Fodder haha

I think Robin would work extremely well with this type of mechanic.I think it would be cool if you could string together your combo streak for some sort of double takedown.This mechanic could also work well with stealth(i.e.2 thugs on the same side of the room,if you take one out on your own,you'll be shot,if you have a partner,you could take both out.)These are just simple things you could do and I'm sure Rocksteady could come up with some complex and exciting ways to use co-op.
    signature image

Originally Posted by The Hylden
    Probably more like the diversion someone has to be in a movie, so the other characters can slip behind the enemy unnoticed Cannon Fodder haha
    That's what I mean, also in Battle too, the thugs all focus on the acrobatic brightly clad boy so Batman can get in there and take them down

Originally Posted by batfan08
    I think Robin would work extremely well with this type of mechanic.I think it would be cool if you could string together your combo streak for some sort of double takedown.This mechanic could also work well with stealth(i.e.2 thugs on the same side of the room,if you take one out on your own,you'll be shot,if you have a partner,you could take both out.)These are just simple things you could do and I'm sure Rocksteady could come up with some complex and exciting ways to use co-op.
    Yes, that would be AWESOME!

It's pretty fun and amusing to re-read this whole discussion on the thread I posted so long ago. I am happy to report, as you all know, that Robin was an excellent character, and I'm glad they incorporated him into the game. He fit the mood, and made it even a little bit better.

Thanks guys!
    "If you don't like the movie, I've got slides..."

The design still needs improving, but the character itself seems fine, especially considering some mere comment from a Admin that Robin keeps his physical shape up thru cage fights can easily be disregarded, compared to say Rocksteady backing down with their Joker child idea.

Keep the hood, but more like this please!

See now why couldn't Batman have gotten a redesign like that for the New 52 instead of just lazily removing the black briefs and drawing some lines on him?

Well i don't know do you really fancy YJ's Batman design:

But yeah, Arkham City's Tim Drake showing off his arms and fingers is just really bad for crime fightning. Rocksteady tried too hard.

You know I love the classic Bat design. I'm just not a fan of lazy redesigns that basically amount to "Got rid of the underwear because underwear is uncool."

Page 5 of 5 First First 12345