Thread: What games are you playing now?

What games are you playing now?

Geist (GC)

This must be one the most immersive video game experiences in recent memory. You play as a ghost and can possess just about anything; objects, animals and humans. In order to possess a living creature, you must first scare the crap out of it by manipulating your environment; make a phone ring, shake a nearby trashcan, etc. When an armed enemy has been possessed, the game turns into a standard FPS with pretty stupid enemy AI. It's not really boring, just not very challenging.
    However, boss fights go beyond 'shoot the bad guy's obvious weakspot and press A to win'. For instance, the first real boss you encounter is your standard grenade-throwing military badass. He carries a shield and is virtually invulnerable to regular gunfire. But to defeat him, you must shoot his arm when he throws a grenade, resulting in him getting stunned. Then you must quickly depossess your current host, possess the grenade, float it back to the boss and have it explode. Then repossess your host to continue the fight. It's a lot of fun and kinda reminds me of F.E.A.R. 3's only redeeming feature: playing as the ghost of Fettel lets you possess enemies as well.
    Geist's possession-mechanic is also needed to solve environmental puzzles. You can even possess dog food and make it shake to awaken a dog's appetite. Then when he's about to enjoy his meal, possess him and progress through the level as man's best friend. Yes.

So far, Geist is a fantastic game but two things do bother me: the enemy AI is retarded and the limited custumizability of controls is a bit of a bummer. Turning around with the c-stick takes forever and would've greatly benefited from sensitivity adjustments. Still, it's very playable and a real must-have Gamecube exclusive.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

I traded my Deus Ex to a friend for Dead Space 2 the other day. I really think Resident Evil 4 has been overthrown as the premier horror-shooter.
    I even like the Dead Space's style of horror better, even if it does rely too much on jump scares, the necromorph designs are incredible.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Regarding Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City;

Metacritic page for 360 & ps3 versions. And, just so you know, looks like Capcom is pulling another RE5 Versus Mode-move with RE: ORC's Nemesis Mode; 320msp for a 2MB download.

This is why I haven't bought a single Capcom product since RE5.

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    Regarding Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City;

Metacritic page for 360 & ps3 versions. And, just so you know, looks like Capcom is pulling another RE5 Versus Mode-move with RE: ORC's Nemesis Mode; 320msp for a 2MB download.

This is why I haven't bought a single Capcom product since RE5.
    Wow. You don't know how happy I feel for canceling my pre order.

So there is this a (free!) game called Liberal Crime Squad. In which your organization must overthrow an Arch-Conservative U.S. by civil disobedience, terrible pick-up lines, shooting conservatives in the face with liberal firearms and this.....

Seriously, this is one of the funniest games I've ever played.

(Is it me, or do alot of my posts sound like advertisements?)
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Alright, I've played some of Silent Hill 2 HD on the Xbox 360. First off, the voices. I'm using the old ones since the new ones sound like voice actors in a sound booth, and the new Eddie is just awful. The graphics are pretty good, much sharper overall. As some have said, the road textures look rather clean in a recently built way, but other than that the new textures are good. I don't have issues with the games washed out look as others have, it seems fine.

Next big thing: Fog. There's lots of it, draw distance is as it should be, though objects fade into view a little less than before. Things appear slightly more suddenly, but it's an insignificant difference so far. I'll have to go through more environments to really know. However, the fog can be significantly reduced during ingame cutscenes, not all of them, but some of them. One thing I still have to get used to, that I'm not sure is present in the original, is how some of the fog effects are not ingame effects but screen effects. That is, they exist on the screen and not in the world, so when you move the camera, the fog effects move with it. If anyone can let me know for sure that would be great. That said, when you don't notice the fog effects moving with the camera, the fog looks more like fog and less like videogame fog than before.

Finally, glitches. Two minor ones I guess. One is some split-second hitching that happens once in a while in both gameplay and cutscenes. And by once in a while I mean in has happens a grand total of 3 times in about 2 hours. The other glitch was the game paused for about 2 seconds when I tried to talk to Angela a second time at the beginning, and this kept happening upon further attempts. This has not happened anywhere else though.

Overall, it's still a damn good game, and it would take a hell of a lot more than slightly different fog and the occasional hitch to ruin it for me. I'm not that far into the game, so perhaps some areas aren't up to snuff, but based on my personal experience so far, I'd recommend the game.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

Maybe the 360 version runs a bit smoother after all or maybe you have yet to experience the freezes or crashes? Either way, the vids don't lie. Can't wait for Eurogamer's in-depth analysis...

EDIT: There seem to be major differences between the American and European version of the collection. I'll edit/post back when I know more about it.

---
    EDIT II: On topic.

I got Bully: Scholarship Edition for Wii on the cheap. Bully, called 'Canis Canem Edit' here in Europe, was one of my absolute favorite ps2 games. When the Scholarship Edition was also released for xbox 360 back in '08 - which counts as a remastered HD version in my book - it suffered from many game-crippling glitches. A patch was released, eliminating the crashes/freezes, yet severe framerate issues and other visual inconsistencies remained.
    Obviously there are hardly any visual upgrades in the Wii version but what I did get was a more enjoyable experience, gameplay wise. At first I wasn't very pleased with the controls, as with any newly acquired Wii title, but after getting used to them I simply can't stop playing.
    One thing annoys the crap out of me though: the first person camera controls. You use the Wii mote to look & aim but it's very sensitive, making some parts of the game (such as the Carnival mini-games) an absolute chore to deal with.
    It runs very smoothly with very few noticable slowdowns or other unpleasantries. Other than that: the story, the fantastic voice-acting, clever dialogue and satire are still as funny as ever. The Wii version comes heartily recommended!

Quick update on Silent Hill 2: about a 2 second stall during the Pyramid Head introduction, the Maria introduction is as bad as you've seen, so the missing cutscene fog is not platform specific. Still overall stable though, I think the main platform difference is stability.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

EDIT II: On topic.

I got Bully: Scholarship Edition for Wii on the cheap. Bully, called 'Canis Canem Edit' here in Europe, was one of my absolute favorite ps2 games. When the Scholarship Edition was also released for xbox 360 back in '08 - which counts as a remastered HD version in my book - it suffered from many game-crippling glitches. A patch was released, eliminating the crashes/freezes, yet severe framerate issues and other visual inconsistencies remained.
    Obviously there are hardly any visual upgrades in the Wii version but what I did get was a more enjoyable experience, gameplay wise. At first I wasn't very pleased with the controls, as with any newly acquired Wii title, but after getting used to them I simply can't stop playing.
    One thing annoys the crap out of me though: the first person camera controls. You use the Wii mote to look & aim but it's very sensitive, making some parts of the game (such as the Carnival mini-games) an absolute chore to deal with.
    It runs very smoothly with very few noticable slowdowns or other unpleasantries. Other than that: the story, the fantastic voice-acting, clever dialogue and satire are still as funny as ever. The Wii version comes heartily recommended!
    I loved Bully so damn much. Oddly enough, I actually first played/beat it on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure how I managed that. lol

I'll have to take a look at the wii version though, I would love to replay it again. Just hearing the music will make me nostalgia.

Brilliant soundtrack, isn't it? I especially like the music at the very beginning when Gary is "showing you the ropes". I remember playing and recording the tune myself on my 8-track back in the days because I loved the bassline so much.

11. Borrowed Silent Hill Downpour off a friend.

Oh god it's worse than Homecoming, i give up with the *** franchise.
    signature image

Please, Johnson, elaborate. Worse than Homecoming is pretty hard to accomplish...

13. The puzzles are boring and simple as , the combat is like poking your eye out with your own *, the story drags on and the characters are ungodly bad and unlikable. there is a severe lack of any interesting enemies and the whole otherworld is the most boring ever.

It is THE worst silent hill to come out in my opinion, at least silent hill homecoming had a *** atmosphere.
    signature image

Is it true that there are only 4 enemy types in the entire game?

15. Pretty much, i only encountered two within 4 hours of gameplay and i was just getting utterly bored out of my wits.

Not counting the void thing in the outerworld an enemy, just a load of old bull
    signature image

Sounds cack. I'll buy it from you for 5£.

17. It isnt mine, i'm not stupid enough to still buy silent hill games
    signature image

And I'm not stupid enough to buy them new. Just tell your friend a Belgian dog-like creature stole his copy, yes? It'll be our little secret.

I just finished playing through Binary Domain, which is nigh impossible to find in stores around where I am. But, if you can find a copy I highly recommend it. I have almost no problems with the game, it's just thoroughly entertaining. The gameplay is like that of Gears of War, but the enemies are far more entertaining to fight and there's more variety to gameplay situations than Gears ever had. The story is also surprisingly entertaining. Game length is not a problem, it took me 10 hours give or take on the normal difficulty, and I believe that isn't including failed attempts.

Also, the squad relationship thing isn't the most developed thing in the world, but it does impact the story somewhat and it can lead to some pretty funny places. I played the whole game using the microphone, issuing commands and responding in conversations that way. As long as you adjust the settings somewhat and figure out which alternate words work better, it worked pretty well. However, some inflections and accents will no doubt cause problems, in which case playing the game without the headset is a perfectly viable option.

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars (x360).

I've never even heard of this game before until I saw it on the XBL marketplace yesterday evening for 19,99€. It looked interesting but I don't support digital downloads so I went to the store and bought it used for a lot less.
    Now, I've done my research and knew what to expect. Simple arcade action, terrible voice-acting (the main character sounds like she had some spacecake before each recording session), last-gen looking graphics, etc. BUT! The controls are excellent, sound design is quite good as well, both the maps and dogfights can get very atmospheric & exciting!
    By playing the campaign one can unlock planes and use them in 'Dogfight'; a single player deathmatch where one can select gametype/map/weather/timer/total kills/total enemies/etc. This is a very cool feature because, obviously, nobody plays the online multiplayer portion of the game. In short: this is the type of game that one should look for when they just want to lay back, kill some time in the evening and mow down WWI/WWII-era planes

EDIT: When I'm done with this game I will most likely be getting Heroes over Europe as well. My copy of Birds of Steel still hasn't arrived but I'm tempted to get IL2 Sturmovik on the cheap (I've had the opportunity to get is sooner but the fact that there's an unlock key for the game on the marketplace troubles me...).
    Since I'm a bit new to the genre, are there any other console WWI/II Arcade/Flightsims I should be looking for (preferrably on xbox 360)? I know there's the Blazing Angels games but I wasn't too impressed with the demos...

Well, Heroes over Europe turned out to be a big pile of dog poop. At first, the presentation made it look like the best arcade flying game ever made.
    Then I started playing... The aircrafts are either too agile or too stiff to control (and no, the sensitivity cannot be adjusted). Missions are extremely repetitive and drawn-out. Difficulty on Pilot (medium) is unfair, Rookie is too easy and Ace (hard) is nearly impossible.
    Graphically, it's a mixed-bag: most aircrafts look quite good but buildings and characters look fugly. I'm not kidding: an in-game cutscene showed my pilot getting into his plane and I could clearly see PS1-era pixels all over his body.
    Working with the lock-on camera is very disorientating and when the other twenty apponents decide to meddle with the dogfight, things quickly become frustrating. On top of that, the framerate takes a serious hit when the screen becomes too crowded.
    I of course knew this was an arcade flight game but what I didn't know was that the game actually encourages you to bump into other planes at high speed to take them down in mid-air. Yet when you barely touch a battleship's mast with one of your plane's wings, you crash instantly. This is bloody ridiculous.
    A cool feature is that you can perform an 'Ace Kill' by using bullet-time and take down enemy crafts with one well-placed shot to the wings, pilot or engine. It's a cool and arcadey feature but vastly overused and I grew tired of it after three missions.

All in all, this is a bad, bad game. Stay far away from this one...

---

Bought Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper for less than a tenner on eBay. There's not much to say about this one. It's your standard slow-paced point & click game with a couple of challenging puzzles, horrible graphics (but exquisitely brooding atmosphere) and gameplay. However, the story had me hooked, so I finished it in about two days.
    The game does a great job of making you feel like the great Sherlock Holmes: crime scene reconstruction, deduction boards, lots of reading articles and interviews... I say: rent/borrow it and enjoy the story.

---

I've never played a single Call of Duty game, simply because military shooters are not my cup of tea, but decided to give one of them a chance after all. I did try a couple of demos but only CoD2 looked like a decent game. I'm not even bothering with MW, Black Ops or WaW... In the end, despite lacking a demo, CoD3 struck me as the one I should be getting. From what I've gathered, it seems to be the black sheep of the series for some reason. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on it, just so that I know what I'm getting into. Got it for less than a tenner, impulse buy, I'm expecting it this week.

Well, Heroes over Europe turned out to be a big pile of dog poop. At first, the presentation made it look like the best arcade flying game ever made.
    Then I started playing... The aircrafts are either too agile or too stiff to control (and no, the sensitivity cannot be adjusted). Missions are extremely repetitive and drawn-out. Difficulty on Pilot (medium) is unfair, Rookie is too easy and Ace (hard) is nearly impossible.
    Graphically, it's a mixed-bag: most aircrafts look quite good but buildings and characters look fugly. I'm not kidding: an in-game cutscene showed my pilot getting into his plane and I could clearly see PS1-era pixels all over his body.
    Working with the lock-on camera is very disorientating and when the other twenty apponents decide to meddle with the dogfight, things quickly become frustrating. On top of that, the framerate takes a serious hit when the screen becomes too crowded.
    I of course knew this was an arcade flight game but what I didn't know was that the game actually encourages you to bump into other planes at high speed to take them down in mid-air. Yet when you barely touch a battleship's mast with one of your plane's wings, you crash instantly. This is bloody ridiculous.
    A cool feature is that you can perform an 'Ace Kill' by using bullet-time and take down enemy crafts with one well-placed shot to the wings, pilot or engine. It's a cool and arcadey feature but vastly overused and I grew tired of it after three missions.

All in all, this is a bad, bad game. Stay far away from this one...

---

Bought Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper for less than a tenner on eBay. There's not much to say about this one. It's your standard slow-paced point & click game with a couple of challenging puzzles, horrible graphics (but exquisitely brooding atmosphere) and gameplay. However, the story had me hooked, so I finished it in about two days.
    The game does a great job of making you feel like the great Sherlock Holmes: crime scene reconstruction, deduction boards, lots of reading articles and interviews... I say: rent/borrow it and enjoy the story.

---

I've never played a single Call of Duty game, simply because military shooters are not my cup of tea, but decided to give one of them a chance after all. I did try a couple of demos but only CoD2 looked like a decent game. I'm not even bothering with MW, Black Ops or WaW... In the end, despite lacking a demo, CoD3 struck me as the one I should be getting. From what I've gathered, it seems to be the black sheep of the series for some reason. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on it, just so that I know what I'm getting into. Got it for less than a tenner, impulse buy, I'm expecting it this week.
    If you're going to get into CoD, you should at least pick up CoD4 and WaW. (If not both, at least WaW. World at War had the best CoD campaign to date. You could co-op with 3 other people on it too.)

I actually strongly dislike war games, modern war especially. Don't want to start a political discussion but I've got my reasons. Although I do enjoy the occasional WWII game such as The Saboteur or Velvet Assassin. And eventhough I'm mostly a single player-only type of person, 4-player co-op is indeed a big plus, I was actually willing to give WaW a chance... But the demo left an awful taste in my mouth when they decided to implement metal/rock music during combat. Seriously, that's a big no-no in my book. This is a WWII game for cryin' out loud...

Coincidentally, CoD3 landed in my mailbox later this afternoon. Well, in all honesty, the first impression was good. Quite good, in fact! Started on Hardened, I'm a couple of missions in, the difficulty is just right: challenging but not frustrating. Obviously the big plusses are: 60fps, short loading times (although it is my understanding that the unskippable cutscenes are there to cover them up...), gameplay is smooth, weapons feel great, dialogues are tolerable, the visuals are absolutely fantastic for a 2006 game, AI is 'ok' but could've been a lot better, audio & soundtrack by Joel Goldsmith are phenomenal!

But there are some major annoyances. I've gotten stuck on several props in the environment: two times, I was able to jump and free myself, the third time I had no choice but to restart a checkpoint. As mentioned previously, the unskippable cutscenes are bollocks. Not being able to adjust different kinds of volumes is a bit weird, thankfully the overall sound design in this game is wonderful! The absence of a run-button also puzzles me, instead a click on the left stick brings up binoculars which you barely use... But the biggest mistake I noticed is this: the German 98k rifle's safety is always on (to the right). Meaning that, in real life, both the trigger and the bolt would be inoperable and I wouldn't be able to reload or shoot the rifle. Big mistake... It should be set to the left, like this:

I if I had to recommend a COD game, I'd say Big Red One is my favourite. It does some nice things different from the rest of the series (Germany and Japan aren't the only enemies, there's also Italy and Vichy France). Also it has a full cast of characters, no switching fronts half way through. It might be a little tough to find though.

I personally thought World at War was one of the better WWII FPS-s put to console. Mostly because it is the closest I'm going to get to a game version of Cross of Iron (and thus, a playable James Coburn). The over-the-top gore didn't and the fact that it focused on the Eastern Front, which is the less-used and in my opinion, cooler front of WWII, made it a keeper; even if it was a Call of Duty game.

Page 42 of 45 First First ... 323839404142434445 Last