Thread: What games are you playing now?

What games are you playing now?

I believe this will solve the problem. Sorry for the old link, it's the best one I could find. It's a matter of the license for that content (and any other content) being tied to both profile and console, so that if you are on a different piece of hardware, you need your profile online to verify ownership.

Also Puzzle Agent 2 now had a puzzle that required knowledge of calculus beyond a high school level, so in other words I don't really like this game.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

The weird thing is that everything else for every other game works offline (I checked after the transfer to the new hdd), it's only the Ranger Pack that does this to me.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

It might be an example of some games just not working on some profiles. I have a similar problem, no matter the harddrive or xbox I simply cannot disable vita-chambers in Bioshock 1, much to my chagrin. Sometimes weird stuff like that just happens, but you could try a license transfer anyway to see if it fixes the issue, though it is nothing to jump into unprepared as it can only be done once a year if I remember correctly.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

I was gifted a 4200MSP card. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure on what to spend it. Although I have been contemplating a gamertag change lately, I'd rather spend it on games. This week I found myself playing the xbla trial versions of Doom I & II and Duke Nukem 3D quite regularly but I already own the perfectly playable prequels on the Doom 3 Collector's Edition disc so there's no need to buy them again.
    DN3D is another story: I used to own a legit copy of the game but it was stolen a few years ago along with a bunch of other games from my dormitory room. My only gripe with the xbla version is that there's no fan-made DukePlus or Hi-res pack available

Then there's AMY hitting the marketplace tomorrow for 800MSP but the first review kind of killed my enthusiasm. Especially this paragraph:

"Survival horror and puzzles go together like red and green herbs. Unfortunately, it's this sense of necessity that characterises every obstacle in Amy. Rarely do the puzzles feel like part of the environment, instead they feel contrived, there to extend the lifespan of the compact levels. There's precisely no invention in any of the problems - they're all variations of the same theme, stretched beyond breaking point. Put Amy on the lift, make the lift go up, make Amy press a button. Repeat until your thumbs weep."

I will give the trial version a go, of course, Other than that I'd like some recommendations for other xbla titles? Note: I already own the following arcade games: Aqua, Limbo, Outland, Portal, Skydrift, South Park, Stacking.

I've been somewhat following Amy for a while and I have to say, it doesn't look good at all.

Anyway, from experience I'd recommend Rock of Ages, Marathon Durandal and Flotilla (it's an indie game). I've heard good things about Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (something I plan to get soon), Bastion, Toy Soldiers and Costume Quest.

Remember though, the xbox live house party kicks off a month from now, and that has Alan Wake's American Nightmare and I Am Alive in the first two weeks, so you may want to wait for that.

Anyway, I've been playing the first X-Com lately (I bought all of them when they were on sale on steam) and it's pretty great, though I still think people complaining about the new shooter are just whiners that can never be satisfied. I am very much looking forward to the second one, as it seems to have a old underwater B-movie style.

Ah yes, I might buy Rock of Ages!

Sadly we don't have access to Indie games here, so no Flotilla for DogMan... Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet looks good and the instrumental versions of Dimmu Borgir's Death Cult Armageddon album certainly fit the overal mood and artstyle but I couldn't bring myself to play through the trial again... It's just not my thing.

The more I see and hear about Alan Wake's American Nightmare the less I'm interested. Just the title already makes me cringe. More action and shooting isn't going to help this franchise's inevitable descent into silliness. Check out the new Observatory Demo.

I Am Alive might turn out good, but I've had my dose of post-apocalyptic goodness for now

Regarding Alan Wake, I actually thought the boxart, or whatever you call it when it's digital only, was a Dead Rising game. Really, it seems like a huge tonal shift, especially with Alan Wake's action hero pose and automatic weaponry.

Which is exactly what grinds my gears... Just a quick quote from a fellow Gamespot user that hit the nail on the head: "It's a panic move, pure and simple. Having a new IP spend so many years in development to end up with overall disappointing sales made this inevitable. If anything, this speaks of the severe impatience of publishers and unoriginality of far too many developers."

Well, what a joke AMY turned out to be. I finished the trial twice in a row, just to be sure. It's terrible, simply terrible.
    The controls, I can live with. I've had worse but atrocious loading times, shoddy framerate, hick-ups (from start to finish, even during the opening cinematic), cringeworthy dialogue, annoying characters that won't shut up, boring and stupid puzzles and unfair checkpoint system are unforgivable. And worst of all: it's not scary. But what is this, a beta? No way I'm buying this.
    Ok, one positive note: if there's one thing I really like it's the running animations of both Lana and Amy, they're perfect.

---

I couldn't resist and bought Duke Nukem 3D (xbla) for old time's sake. This is one brilliant port, finally a playable console version! I do own the ps1 & saturn versions but they're practically unplayable: I can't bloody aim with neither the ps1 or saturn controller. The xbla version is an absolute joy to play!
    I mentioned this a previous post - and maybe I'm being a bit too demanding here - but the lack of DukePlus & Hi-Res mods is disappointing. It would be nice though, wouldn't it? '$oft could invite the modding community to develop both packs and release as an indie add-on or something like that. Sort of like an optional software update that would add the option to choose between old and new (like Halo: Anniversary).

By the way, I completely forgot about this but there's a Duke Nukem 3D remake in development. It's called Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. Might want to put this on your watchlist...

Originally Posted by JackGordon

By the way, I completely forgot about this but there's a Duke Nukem 3D remake in development. It's called Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded. Might want to put this on your watchlist...
    Screw that, they need to bring Blood to XBLA. I would shell out mega-bucks for that.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

Ooo, yes please!

Not to make all you guys jelly or anything... but currently, I've been playing Kane and Lynch dead men on the PC online... WITH 7 OTHER PEOPLE!

Oh yes... It happened. No one crashed either. It was a glorious match.

Man, I forgot how good the character models on Dead Men looked. I wish I had got the short-sleeves guy.

I've been playing alot of my old PS2 lately. I picked up the first (not soul-shattering ty) Shellshock game and I've ordered Steambot Chronicles. I'm particularly excited for this because I've wanted this game for some time.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

14. I play K&L Dead Men with 3 other guys every day, 6 is a crowd, 3-4 was perfect in dead men!
    signature image

I'm gonna be getting back into KL2 multiplayer starting on the 20th or so. I am really going through Kane & Lynch withdrawl.

16. sell me your laptop domino
    signature image

Hey MxOAgentJohn, what's your Steam ID... or if you play dead men on the xbox 360/PS3, those IDs? The more people to play with, the better!

Has anyone here played the original X-Com games? The new GameInformer ran a story about the new one (not the FPS one, but a seperate strategy game designed by Firaxis) and it got me interested in the series.

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite
    Has anyone here played the original X-Com games? The new GameInformer ran a story about the new one (not the FPS one, but a seperate strategy game designed by Firaxis) and it got me interested in the series.
    Yeah, I'm playing the first right now since they were all on sale a few weeks back. So far it's great, gameplay is fun and it has a surprising amount of atmosphere and, dare I say horror, considering it's a graphically dated turn based strategy game. It's one of those games that quite rightly deserves it's classic status. Based on the first one, I'd highly recommend both it and the second one (I haven't played the second, but it's supposedly more of the same but underwater with new enemies and weapons).

The Matt Rorie section of this article is probably the best description of the game.

Got both Duke Nukem 64 & DOOM 64 for, brace yourselves, the Nintendo 64

Duke Nukem 64. Well, certain levels in this version have been altered and feature a bunch of new secret area's. There are no stripbars, no naked women, women trapped in pods need to be freed... Worst of all is the lack of music during gameplay which causes the action to lose some of its punch. Then again, it features new and sometimes better weapons and pretty decent controls for a N64 shooter. It runs and plays smoothly.
    All in all, this is a pretty good port of the game and makes for a nice little collector's item.

I was doing an inventory check and bumped into a copy of Duke Nukem: Zero Hour that I was supposed to sell on eBay. I didn't remember much of this game so I popped it in. Can someone please tell me why this game runs smoother in low-res mode despite being 'Designed for the N64 Expansion Pack'?
    Seriously, it's choppy as hell... Alas, even in low-res mode it's not all that fun either. Controls are fine I guess but for some reason I don't find the action/gunplay particularly satisfying.

And since I'm duking it out (*ba-dum-tsh*) with the spin-offs, I thought I might give Duke Dukem: Time to Kill for ps1 a short spin. There are two things I fondly remember about this game: 1) it introduced me to what eventually would become one of my favorite bands: Stabbing Westward, 2) it was essentially a Tomb Raider game with a Duke Nukem paint job. I did play the hell out of it back in the days but it hasn't aged well at all: controls are quite stiff and unresponsive at times and the framerate is all over the place.

On to DOOM 64. Now this is one excellent game! Pure old-school DOOM and it plays great with the N64 controller. Graphics are quite good but what stands out most is the extremely dark ambient soundtrack. It's right up there with Yamaoka's industrial score for the original Silent Hill. Brilliantly evil. Hail Satan!

That's really weird... cause I've been playing Doom on the XBL arcade for a while now ever since they brought it back.

Doom is great

I managed to play a game of Fragile Alliance just now!
    It was as awesome as I remember.

Originally Posted by Kent-45
    That's really weird... cause I've been playing Doom on the XBL arcade for a while now ever since they brought it back.

Doom is great
    Doom is great

I can't seem to run my original copies of Ultimate DOOM & DOOM II on Windows 7 and I have exactly 400MSP left to spend so I might get it as well. After I'm done with the xbla version of Duke Nukem 3D, that is. It'll take some time though because I'm going for a full 100% run. All secrets and all kills.

I forgot to mention that I also bought The Lost Hobo King expansion for Stacking. The story is ok, the puzzles are fine and there are a couple of good laughs to be had but it's over too soon. I beat it in about 45minutes, I think.

The last couple times I jumped on the Dog Days steam servers, I've been able to get into games fairly easily. Maybe Kane & Lynch isn't as dead as the critics would have us believe.

EDIT: Yeah JackGordon, I had trouble running them too.. You wanna download an app called DosBox and mount a virtual drive. I have been able to play tons of old DOS games this way... Daggerfall, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad, Halloween Harry, One Must Fall 2097, Jazz Jackrabbit... the list goes on. DosDox is my savior

Originally Posted by Kent-45
    The last couple times I jumped on the Dog Days steam servers, I've been able to get into games fairly easily. Maybe Kane & Lynch isn't as dead as the critics would have us believe.
    It is on Xbox, at least. I had that one game (six rounds) and the servers were dark after that. But hey, I got two more traitor kills for my trouble.

Page 40 of 45 First First ... 30363738394041424344 ... Last