Thread: What games are you playing now?

What games are you playing now?

I actually found Half-Life 2 (aside from the opening, which was neat) very flat and unimpressive. It just felt like the game was tugging you from place to place with no rhyme or reason. That and I didn't quite get the praise Gordon Freeman got as a protagionist when he's no different from Claude in GTA III or any number of silent heroes in other FPSs.

But hey, your scratch is your scratch.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

The thing that really impressed me about Half-life 2 was the setting and the overall visual design of the game. The gameplay itself wasn't amazing, the story is kind of flat and the progression has some issues but the rest I quite like. The gameplay scenarios were what I felt was the games strongest quality as they are varied and interesting enough to somewhat make up for the rather dull basic gameplay. Things like going into a random house on the side of a street and being ambushed in it in a rather unique way, even though you never had to go into the house in the first place, are what I remember, not the "save the world Gordon Freeman" stuff.

One thing to keep in mind is that much of the praise for that games gameplay came from the use of the Gravity gun, but that type of weapon has been borrowed for so many other games that it won't feel as exciting as it was at release.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

I'm expecting both games next week so in the meantime, your thoughts are duly noted, gentlemen.
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the young fellow who recommended me these games also recommended Left 4 Dead, which I hate with a passion. If '$oft would let me delete games with achievements from my list, Left 4 Dead would be the first to go. Then RE5.

---

To kill some time I installed Bully: Scholarship Edition & Deadly Premonition again. I'd almost forgotten how glitchy Bully was... Still, I'm having fun and that's what matters most.
    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

Sounds to me like your friend my be a valve fan.

Anyway I've installed Age of Mythology for the 100,000,000th time, and as usual I love it to no end. Nothing says " you and your city" like turning all an enemy's villagers into pigs and eating them.
    "No, it's an EyePet. If you ever saw a puppy like that, you'd kill it with fire." -Ryan Davis

I got my copies of Half Life and its sequel yesterday. So far, I'm enjoying Half Life on ps2 although it's not without its shortcomings but given that its a pc port, I'm pretty forgiving. What bothers me most are the controls; they're either too loose or too tight. Thank science for that lock-on button!
    At first, honestly, Half Life made a terrible first impression. It felt really dated but as I delved deeper into the campaign I really liked where the game was taking me. But then came the On A Rail chapter which just dragged on and on and on... Peas and rice, it didn't end! I got passed it a couple of hours ago but I immediately saved my game and shut off my ps2.

---

Meanwhile... I started a fresh run of The Saboteur (x360) again. I truly love this game. It's far from perfect but there's something about it that keeps me coming back for more. The music, the visuals, the cars, the city, the missions, the atmosphere... It's hard to describe but, for me, it's just one of those games that 'clicks'. Much like Bioshock & Deadly Premonition, The Saboteur has become one of my most treasured gaming experiences of this gen

Finished The Saboteur again yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end
    Thought I'd give Mafia II another chance but I quickly realized how much of a bad idea that was. I will finish the playthrough though, simply because I really like the story and most of the graphics. Gameplay, not so much...
    I was showing it off to a friend of mine - a WWII FPS fan - and he was very impressed with the first level of the game. He said that he would very much like to play a third-person WWII-themed shooter. So would I, as a matter of fact. Can someone here recommend me a decent WWII TPS?

Originally Posted by JackGordon
    Finished The Saboteur again yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end
    Thought I'd give Mafia II another chance but I quickly realized how much of a bad idea that was. I will finish the playthrough though, simply because I really like the story and most of the graphics. Gameplay, not so much...
    I was showing it off to a friend of mine - a WWII FPS fan - and he was very impressed with the first level of the game. He said that he would very much like to play a third-person WWII-themed shooter. So would I, as a matter of fact. Can someone here recommend me a decent WWII TPS?
    The one that immediatly pops to mind is Hidden and Dangerous, preferably Hidden and Dangerous 2. It might be hard to find these however. And they are computer games.

That's about all I can think of though. There doesn't seem to be many third person WW2 games.

Originally Posted by Brackstone17
    The one that immediatly pops to mind is Hidden and Dangerous, preferably Hidden and Dangerous 2. It might be hard to find these however. And they are computer games.
    Thanks, Brack. I'm going to have a look on eBay for the Dreamcast version of H&D.
    That's about all I can think of though. There doesn't seem to be many third person WW2 games.
    I noticed that too, most WWII-shooters are FPS games... I did however read comments and reviews on the net about the Brothers in Arms series being the one of the best WWII experiences available on the market. I remember trying out the Hell's Highway demo a long time ago during the first few weeks that I first signed up for an xbox live silver membership. I wasn't too impressed back then but a few hours ago I downloaded it again and I must admit that I really like the strategic aspect of the game. And the fact that the camera switches to a third-person perspective when in cover gave the whole thing a very dynamic feel, kinda like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Anyway, did you play Hell's Highway? If so, how good and how challenging is the single player? Is the story decent and interesting enough?

Anyway, did you play Hell's Highway? If so, how good and how challenging is the single player? Is the story decent and interesting enough?
    Hell's Highway was pretty decent. The story delves into the stress of fighting and it's effects on servicemen. There is not too much replay value (the final levels are a bit too long and hard and the multiplayer is dead) but it was a fun game while it lasted. Pretty, too.

The old Medal of Honors for the PC, Allied Assault if I remember correctly, are extremely good. I used to play through those all the time in my younger years.
    "That cat? Man, nobody talks about him. 'Cause it's like talkin' 'bout the black death" --Miami Vice

HH sounds kinda up my alley. Might pick it up after all. See, if Dead Men's squad mechanics would've worked that way and had it spent a little more time in development, I'm sure we would've had a classic on our hands.
    Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite
    The old Medal of Honors for the PC, Allied Assault if I remember correctly, are extremely good. I used to play through those all the time in my younger years.
    I've only owned and played one Medal of Honor game in my life, it was on Gamecube. Don't remember which one though. The beginning of the game was D-day. We had to sneak up the beach, shoot at bunkers, look for a specific type of explosive and infiltrate the trenches. And I also remember getting my arse handed to me within the first five or ten minutes. I got rid of the game and pretty much never touched another military shooter afterwards.

HH sounds kinda up my alley. Might pick it up after all. See, if Dead Men's squad mechanics would've worked that way and had it spent a little more time in development, I'm sure we would've had a classic on our hands.
    I actually liked Dead Men's squad mechanics more than HH's, a lot simpler. Plus with the bonus of them being in 3rd person.

I grabbed a rogue-like game called Liberal Crime Squad for free, and it's a blast. Imagine the Colbert Report with guns and an even more exaggerated looks at politics. Hard as hell, but very fun.

I own Hell's Highway, but have not played it (a common occurance for me). I have however played the previous 2 Brothers in Arms games and they are truly excellent. They are fully from the first person though, no perspective switching.

Picked up Puzzle Agent in the current steam sale. I've played through most of it by my estimation, it isn't the longest game it seems. I'm having a really good time with it. The puzzles are fun and the story is actually very entertaining. Also, the way the game keeps track of your performance is hilarious. The best thing I can say about it is when you get the right answer, it feels great, and when you get the wrong answer, you feel stupid, and that's how I think puzzle games should be. I plan on picking up the sequel as well before the sale is over (in addition to a few other things I have my eye on).

EDIT: Also in regards to the steam sale, VVVVVV is completely worth the dollar pricetag it has for the next twelve hours, and I'd say it's worth whatever price tag it has after it's daily sale ends, so you should all get it.

Finished Mafia II again a couple of days ago. Fairly decent story, atrocious gameplay. Terrible in fact. Apart from a handful of impressive set piece shoot-outs, I'd forgotten how dull but mostly frustrating many of the missions were. F*** this game.

Me and a friend started playing through L.A. Noire (360) together. Actually, I'm just there as an advisor while he's doing all the playing. It's quite fascinating to see someone who's kinda lost touch with gaming since the Gamecube days "discover" current-gen gaming.
    I seem to remember writing some bad stuff about this game in the past - mostly because of some gameplay issues and the season pass bullcrap they pulled - but because of my friend's enjoyment of the game, I'm appreciating L.A. Noire more for what it does right this time around.
    After doing a bit of research, the recently released Complete Edition of the game features all DLC cases and extra's on one single blu ray disc - that's 4 seperate discs for the 360 version - at a highly affordable price of 37€ (TheHut), so I bought the ps3 version and I'm expecting it next week.

Let us know what you think of the game, even though you aren't necessarily playing it. It's one of those games that seems to be very divisive, not only between people who think it's good or bad but between people who disagree over which exact part of the game was bad.

Let us know what you think of the game, even though you aren't necessarily playing it. It's one of those games that seems to be very divisive, not only between people who think it's good or bad but between people who disagree over which exact part of the game was bad.
    I actually thought it was very average, mostly because for all the innovation Team Bondi had, they didn't really seem to do anything with.
    The detective work was fun and original, yes, but stretched over thirty hours it fell apart and felt all same-y. Even the Big Reveal lacked the zing of noir reveals. Adding subpar gunplay and a lack of replayability really dragged it down.
    Innovative, but not necessarily good.

Edit: Anyhoo, I've been playing the new Forza game I picked up at a Black Friday sale for cheap. I typically don't care much for purely racing games, but it is actually quite good. There is literally every kind of car you could want. The customization is also very nice (albeit a massive, massive trademark infringement waiting to happen). I even found a Kane & Lynch skin for one of the cars!

When I bought it for 360 I thought so too, Beardy. I fully agree with the subpar gunplay; had L.A. Noire featured Mafia II's gunplay, I would've enjoyed the shoot-outs a whole lot more!
    Looking at the game through the eyes of a mere spectator, what struck me most is some of the things us gamers take for granted: the attention to detail, the level of polish, ... I seem to remember saying that L.A. Noire was a good tech demo, just not a good game and that's still the case in a way. But, honestly, as a tech demo it's a very playable one compared to - let's say - Heavy Rain (a game with similar themes).
    Either way, I'm really looking forward to the Complete Edition! According to the Digital Foundry Face-off, the ps3 version is graphically very impressive and the fact that this time the disc is fully loaded with content, I'm almost certain that I'm not going to regret this purchase.
    Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite
    I even found a Kane & Lynch skin for one of the cars!
    Pixellated private parts?

---

EDIT:
    I'm nearing the end of yet another Deadly Premonition playthrough. This game is so awesome it's unbelievable. Most triple A titles can only dream of capturing the player's attention the way this game does.
    There are however three obligatory gameplay sequences that truly grind my gears:

Other than that, Deadly Premonition is a solid 9.5/10 for me. Yes, I'm serious.

Just got a copy of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (360) in my mailbox. It's the bloody censored German version! Return to sender, I say.

While waiting for an uncensored UK original replacement copy I will be killing some time with Saw (360). Yes, it's a shameless movie-to-game adaptation and its sole reason to exist is for publishers to cash in on the series' popularity. But the game itself isn't all that bad. Well, it's bad but not terrible. It plays exactly like Silent Hill: Homecoming but the funny part is that Saw is actually a better game. In fact, I would gladly consider it a survival horror game compared to the abortion that is Homecoming. The atmosphere is dead-on; the player actually feels very vulnerable. You will move very cautiously through the game, knowing that many boobytraps mean instant death.

Its biggest issues are childish but acceptable puzzles and combat that is completely broken. Luckily, combat is a very minor part of the game. For a movie game, this could've been a hell of a lot worse... Overall, I'd recommend getting Saw used for about 5€ if you need a quick (but flawed) survival horror/gore fix and a ridiculously easy 1000GS.

Other than that, Deadly Premonition is a solid 9.5/10 for me. Yes, I'm serious.
    Hehehehe, I bought that and the first Condemned for myself on Black Friday. Come on, Christmas! I got some Belgian-approved mysteries to solve.

Both are great games! Happy times, lad! A word of advice for Deadly Premonition: most of the time the game will encourage you to continue with the main story but don't be afraid to go out of your way to complete some chapter-specific side-quests. Many of them are actually story-related and will not only give you more background info about the case/characters but some extremely useful tools or other special items.

Condemned 1 is awesome! Next to the earlier silent hill games, the best horror experience I can think of !

I tried skyrim, but sort of burnt out on it reeeally quickly, cause I just hate how there's no way of cancelling quests and alot of times there isn't even a way of saying No to quests you are offered in the first place. You can only do them, or fail them (by killing the quest giver for example) or just let it sit in your questlog.

Never really noticed that in Fallout o.O I forgot how they dealt with it there, but somehow I had no problem with this. Maybe the quests themselves were pretty neutral and only the way you played determined what kind of guy you were. In Skyrim however some quests are clearly evil. And I try to have a consistent personality in a role playing game ..

So yeah I'm currently playing Saints Row The Third. Stupid? Maybe. But crazy fun!

I agree, Mod. Condemned is one of the very few memorable survival horror games this gen. The graphics haven't aged well, this was a launch title after all, but the game is still terrifying as hell. The sequel, well, not so much... Although I will never forget

---

Because I've been a patient little doggy, the xbox live marketplace finally let me download the RAGE demo. It's not the best game ever but this is one impressive looking game! I might pick it up in the future when a complete edition or something like that has been released.

L.A. Noire - The Complete Edition

Graphically, the shadow effects are a hell of a lot better on ps3! There's also slightly better loading times and more options in the menu, or has this been updated for both regular versions of the game with a patch? There are still some small framerate issues but otherwise it's pretty much the same as the 360 version but with all of the extra's on the disc for the player to unlock/play through.
    See, I'm not worried about a season pass or DLC/ULC that I don't have, hence I'm enjoying a playthrough of a full game for which I've happily paid full price. Happy gamer right here, folks!

Now, I'd argue one can never be a happy gamer when talking about LA Noire, but I'm happy that you are happy about it. It may have just not been my type of game.

I've been playing a whole lot of Stalker Clear Sky lately. This game has the perfect atmosphere, unparalelled I'd say. Although this is supposedly the "broken" Stalker game, apart from an early glitch it has run extremely smoothly for me. I suspect the game became remarkably more stable as it was patched, so that now many of the problems the game had at release are somewhat alleviated.

I've been playing a whole lot of Stalker Clear Sky lately. Although this is supposedly the "broken" Stalker game
    Is it better than Shadow of Chernobyl? I must have installed it on my laptop a dozen times only for me to lose interest about 20 hours in. Never have finished it.

And I hear all the Stalker games are "broken" in a few ways

Page 38 of 45 First First ... 28343536373839404142 ... Last