Thread: "THIEF" - Your current THOUGHTS & SUGGESTIONS & CONCERNS - All General Discussion

"THIEF" - Your current THOUGHTS & SUGGESTIONS & CONCERNS - All General Discussion

New VICTORIA can be other

She can be similar as a character (in batman game) in pictures:
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...oison_Ivy1.jpg
    http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...ison_Ivy_4.jpg

Originally Posted by Hlav
    New VICTORIA can be other

She can be similar as a character (in batman game) in pictures:
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...oison_Ivy1.jpg
    http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...ison_Ivy_4.jpg

My favourite Poison Ivy art representation is the one I posted in the Art/Wallpaper thread.
    Haven't seen one to beat it yet.

signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Yes yes.I saw this picture

Some throwaway mechanical lock picks for certain kinds of doors would be an interesting thing. You'd attach it on the door, then it'd take a while while making clockworky sounds until the door opens.

Of course, not to imbalance the game too much, it'd work only on special doors, or would be very expensive.

That Poison Ivy looks like a sober non-freaky Lady Gaga.

Who can swim ?

I think that some people in T4 must swim and also some animals can
    I thought about reality, my idea is that some people (animals,kids) can swim and some other people (animals,kids) can´t

In assassin´s creed bots can´t swim, in gta4 bots can swim in short time and then they die...

Hello! This is my first post on this form. I could not resist putting in my 2 cents even if it gets lost in the huge flood of posts on this thread.

I really enjoyed all three games and played each of them at least twice.

T1 was great for the difficulty and story. Game play was just wonderful. I remember a part in the second level where you could create hammers by flipping switches in a big machine that cast them. I think little things like that are so cool. I also loved the mage level. I'd love to see more stuff like that. It's been a while but I remember the haunted cathedral and lost city levels as just being totally awesome. This game will always be a classic to me. I don't care that much about modern graphics...

T2 might have had the best story in my humble opinion. I thought the mechanists were fascinating and I loved the ability to disable machines by shooting water arrows in their fire boxes.

T3 was great because of the open city environment. I also like that combat was hard. I remember being able to cut down guards in the other two games too easily in direct combat. And the asylum level was one of my favorites in all the games. That said, I hated the faction leveling. In my humble opinion that fit into the Thief series like a square peg in a star shaped hole.

I love the idea of the Thief being a shadowy and VERY independent figure that only deals with what contacts are necessary such as fences. Nothing like a full faction. After all, how can a religious order like the hammerites befriend a thief?! That made no sense to me. Faction leveling makes sense in a fundamentally different type of game. I LOVE RPG's but please don't turn T4 into one.

I've heard some talk about possibly replacing Garret with a female thief. I love Garret but a female main character would be a cool change of pace. I'd likely be pleased either way... but if there was a new guy as a main character he would be stuck in Garret's shadow in my view.

So a quick summery of what I'd love to see in the next one:

1) High difficulty. I thought ALL of the games were just a bit on the easy side (but just a bit, that can be over done all too easily).

2) Open City environment like in T3

3) Still have levels that involve raiding beautiful mansions, but have a few ultra creepy/scary levels too.

4) The thief should be a horrible fighter. In T1 I once slaughtered about a half dozen guards with my sword almost back to back. I should not have been able to do that (Constantin's mansion level). It should be that either you get the jump on them, or it's extremely difficult.

5) I felt that all three games did a good job of having big, creative levels with creative special loot. Keep that up!

6) Nothing that looks too much like an RPG's leveling system. I mostly play RPG's so I look forward to T4 being a change up. Overall, I'm more worried about Eidos trying to change too much in an effort to keep the game fresh than I am about them reusing too much of the previous games.

Finally, I just want to say that I am reasonably confident that I'll love whatever they put out as long as they don't try to totally reinvent everything that made the Thief series special in the first place.

At the moment, just want:
    -A more realistic combat system (can't stress enough the fact of only being able to knock-out or stab some one if you were directly, 90º, behind them), also i didn't like how useless the dagger was...it could only be used if undetected (in which case i preferred using blackjack);
    -Bring back the first-person ONLY, as long with holy and rope arrows;
    -And Benny

The things that I would really like would be:
    -Dagger with improved combat:Yes,I said dagger.
    A dagger is a much more appropriate weapon for a thief than a sword,it´s smaller than the sword,which allows more mobility,and it´s easier to conceal;however,the dagger in TDS was useless,the enemies didn´t even flinch when attacked.
    The dagger needs to even more useful than the sword from T1/T2(I´m looking at
    you,"circle strafe exploit")

-Good AI,but not paranoid AI.
    It´s something I realised while playing Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory the other day.
    The AI in that game is extremely paranoid,when you use the accesory of the pistol that deactivates a light,they dont go"the light isn´t working",they go"the light isn´t working,therefore,there has to bean intruder in the area".IT´S VERY ANNOYING.
    Realism is a thing,being a jerk is another one.
    -SUPPORT GHOSTING:There´s nothing more satisfying than compleating a level without K.Oing anyone.I hope that you will be able to complete Thief IV without K.Oing anyone(except maybe bossfights,wich leads me to...)
    -GREAT BOSSFIGHTS:
    Constantine in Thief 1,Gammall in ThiefS,Pieter Burke in Deus Ex:HR Missing Link DLC...great bossfights that can be completed without being seen
    -A BIG HUB AREA:
    Not having a hub area after TDS would be stupid.It was a good idea,but poorly executed since the HUB area was actually some small areas divided by LONG LOADING SCREENS.Imagine the HUB from TDS being one big area,without loading screens..then add more secondary activities you could do in it;That´s called pure awesomness.
    -REBOOT OR NEW CHARACTER:
    I don´t want to play as Garret after TDS,it the same sensation that I felt when playing Assassins Creed Revelations...I´ve done this already.
    A new character would be great;using AC as example again,ACIII has me really excited becouse of the new protagonist,Connor,a completely different character,a new personality,a new backstory.
    But I know most Thief fans adore Garret(I include myself),so,a reboot would be great,becouse you can use the same character,with similar personlaity traits(and voice actor),but with a new backstory,a different but at the same time familiar personality,etc...
    -IMPROVE CLIMBING/JUMPING/MATLING:
    You know what made me quit some fan-missions?Platforming puzzles.
    T1 and T2 had horrible platforming;jumping and climbing felt clunky,and the mantle work when it wanted to.TDS improved the mantling a lot,but the platforming still needs a lot of improvment.
    -A FUN LOCKPICKING MINIGAME:The lockpicking in TDS was alright,but there´s room for improvement.Alpha Protocol´s lockpicking minigame is the perfect example of a good lockpicking minigame.
    By the way,I would love if the game had a SAFE-CRACKING minigame,instead of having locks in the safes.Sly Cooper 3 had a very good minigame(You rotate the wheel until you feel a vibration--a blue aura comes out of the safe--,then you rotate it in the opposite direction,and you repeat until the safe it´s open)
    -A STORYLINE WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS POSSIBLE:
    Thief 2 had the best story.Why?
    Well,T1 was about an ancient good,while T2 was about a crazy religious fanatic.
    When playing T2 I sometimes think"I wouldn´t be surprised if this happened in the real world".Besides,conspiracy storylines are the best.
    -NO CATACOMB/LOST CITIES/TOMBS:
    The game is called Thief,I want to infiltrate manors,castles,banks,etc...and steal from rich people;I dont want to be an archeologist.
    -NO ACTION SEQUENCES:
    Why was T2 a great sequel?
    Becouse it realized that action sequences have no place in stealth games.
    Adding action sequences to appeal to a bigger audience doesn´t work.
    The stealth parts alienate the action fans,and the action parts alienate the stealth fans.
    -MULTIPLAYER:
    I would be very happy if Thief IV has multiplayer.Splinter Cell:Chaos Theoty had the best co-op campaing and the best competitive multiplayer i´ve ever played,and something like that would work very well in a Thief game(co-op heist that keep track of how much loot each player gets,adding a competitive element to it,and a competitive mode like SC Spies vs Mercenaries--Thieves vs Guards anyone?--)

I could problably add something else,but I can´t think of anything right now..

hopes

Been a while since i posted anything other than an inquiry for a release date so here is a list of a few hopes for Thief 4.

I hope that the maps are much larger like in T1 and T2. As far as I could tell T3 was scaled down compared to it's predecessors my only idea for the cause would be to make T3 compatible with consoles which was a big disappointment for me and the board that was split with the fog doors was just irritating.

I did like the central area of the city although I think It could be expanded less dead doors more hidden stuff.

In general I would love more secrets/Easter eggs to find.

One idea I would like to see in thief that I use in p&p role playing is a way to make a small mark on a wall or floor denoting things like where i came from/ where I've been things of interest, traps, switches, direction of goal if I know it but want to keep looking around.

Looking forward to playing it whenever they manage to finish it but as much as I want to play it I also want them to take their time and do a great job with it.

Originally Posted by medwardl
    As far as I could tell T3 was scaled down compared to it's predecessors my only idea for the cause would be to make T3 compatible with consoles
    I´ve never really understood that,becouse Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory used an advanced version of the engine that was used in Thief 3,but the levels where quite large(not T2 large,but still...).

didn't bother to read whole thread, but there is one wish/suggestion on T4,

ONLY FIRST PERSON

put 3rd person anywhere in game, even as option and it'll kill game

Originally Posted by larix

ONLY FIRST PERSON

put 3rd person anywhere in game, even as option and it'll kill game
    People said the same about DX:HR,and now I cant even think how the game would work without the 3rd person cover system,but then again,if the devs make the sound propagation
    proplerly(like in T1 and T2,and even T3),combined with the "hide in shadows"mechanic,3rd person cover would be an gimmick,innecesary addition.

So in short,yes,I agree with "no 3rd person".

Originally Posted by Jace_Auditore
    I´ve never really understood that,becouse Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory used an advanced version of the engine that was used in Thief 3,but the levels where quite large(not T2 large,but still...).
    No, those two engines descended from a common ancestor. The Chaos Theory engine isn't a more advanced version of the hacked Unreal engine used in Deadly Shadows. One evolved into a functional engine, the other was subject to some mad scientist's genetic experimentation that took in to an evolutionary dead end. You can't develop the TDS engine further because the programming is so hastily made and messed up.

So both the TDS engine and SC:CT engine were made from the same Unreal framework, but the latter was a success, the former was a failure and contributed largely to the compromises made with Deadly Shadows. In my opinion, even the original Splinter Cell engine is better than the TDS engine.

A more modern bow must be in Thief 4,
    see this picture

There's no need for such a thing.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Hlav
    A more modern bow must be in Thief 4
    Yes. In the same sense as the next GTA must be set in 2nd century China.

A New Comer Requests

First of all Hi, I am new here, I am a stealth fan, but actually never got the chance to play Thief, this may sound strange, but my gaming life was on console, so I didn't play PC games, and since I don't own Xbox I missed Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I hope that Thief 4 comes out for the PS3, that way I can enjoy it, and TBH that's my first request.

Also I don't know if Eidos will treat Thief 4 like they did with Deus Ex Human Revolution, and make Thief 4 a prequel or not, but I hope the game is open to new players such as myself, and that I can fairly understand everything, I would rather have it a prequel, but I am not sure if the fans want a sequel or maybe Thief 3 ended in a cliff hanger or something.

Last thing, I know Thief 4 probably far into development, but I hope the developers keep the Third Person View as an option, I for one enjoy TPV more than FPV, but hey I enjoyed the hell out of Human Revolution, so I have alot of faith in Edios.

I think that's all for now, I can't wait for E3, hopefully we will hear about Thief 4 by then, Alot of stealth gaming are going to shine at E3 2012.

Sam Kain, I liked your post.

As a PC'er first and consoler second, I am partial to PC games. My opinion is, if you picked the best PC game and the best console game, the PC game would always be better, and that viewpoint is shared by the majority of hardcore gamers. Nothing against consoles, I own an xbox myself, but they're just not as strong as PCs...in my opinion.

Anyway, Eidos will most certainly make Thief for the Playstation and Xbox, in addition to PCs. There's just a ton of money to be made in console games these days.

I'm with you on hoping for a prequel. I'm praying to the gods that it will be a prequel with either a young Garrett, no Garrett, or Garrett in a limited role.

I'm also with you on the option of third person, as in TDS. I never used it, but the gameplay mechanics do not suffer one iota if there is an option. EM will include both if they're smart.

If E3 has little or no Thief presence, then prepare for a revolt amongst all True Fans of the franchise.

Originally Posted by contrarian
    As a PC'er first and consoler second, I am partial to PC games. My opinion is, if you picked the best PC game and the best console game, the PC game would always be better, and that viewpoint is shared by the majority of hardcore gamers. Nothing against consoles, I own an xbox myself, but they're just not as strong as PCs...in my opinion.
    I am PC only gamer, but I remember I heared a PC and Xbox player telling the same thing. He said that a very good console game is just moderate for a PC. That speaks worlds.

Originally Posted by contrarian
    Sam Kain, I liked your post.

Anyway, Eidos will most certainly make Thief for the Playstation and Xbox, in addition to PCs. There's just a ton of money to be made in console games these days.

I'm with you on hoping for a prequel. I'm praying to the gods that it will be a prequel with either a young Garrett, no Garrett, or Garrett in a limited role.

I'm also with you on the option of third person, as in TDS. I never used it, but the gameplay mechanics do not suffer one iota if there is an option. EM will include both if they're smart.

If E3 has little or no Thief presence, then prepare for a revolt amongst all True Fans of the franchise.
    I really can't disagree about the PC part, with PC you can always upgrade it's part, and the games can make full use of it, that's why PC games are always the best, yet still nowadays developers tend to screw PC gamers by porting the console version, or doing a stupid DRM, but I believe Eidos wouldn't do the same, for me I was just not so hot about PC, I play some games on PC, but you know.

I hope they don't focus on money when coming to the console, cause I am afraid they may dilute the Stealth for the casual players, but if treated like Human Revolution, i think it is going to be epic.

I thought Garret would be special to fans, it seems like you aren't really excited about him

They have to show the game at E3, hasn't it been 3 years since they teased it ?!, that's more than enough to have a beta version of the game, and an extra year till release to even polish things more, I can't see how they would delay the announcement any more.

I loved Garrett. He was my favorite anti-hero of all time. But I think he ran his course. The last thing I want is Thief to pick up right where Deadly Shadows left off with Garrett off doing thieving mission after thieving mission. I think it would just feel like more of the same old same old.

Garrett is like the spicy seasoning on our steak...he makes the steak taste better, but I think it's time for a little sweet seasoning on our steak....and by that I mean, I hope a female is the lead in Thief 4 if it is to be a continuation of TDS.

Ideas

I'm a huge fan of Thief 1 and 2. I think in developing Thief 4, the game should keep with both of those games as models and remain true to their roots. My favorite levels were the Bonehoard, Constantine's Mansion, the haunted city when you were making your way to the cathedral, and the lost city. I think a couple of levels that incorporate zombies and other undead enemies would be an added benefit. I love the feeling of wondering what was around the next corner while bonehoard and the creepiness of the zombies.

I think guards should be able to regain consciousness after a certain amount of time if you blackjack them. They could then go on and trigger an alarm or warn other guards. This makes you have to have a definite plan in mind when tackling a level and definitely ramps up the difficulty. Maybe just make it available on certain difficulties or an option where you can turn it on/off.

I also remember how my friend and I make up rules for a pseudo-multiplayer game of Thief. Where we would race through a mission independently and see who could complete it the fastest and with the most loot. Maybe implement a leaderboard where people can upload their fastest times, most loot, and both combined together.

Originally Posted by xerxes4285
    I think guards should be able to regain consciousness after a certain amount of time if you blackjack them. They could then go on and trigger an alarm or warn other guards.
    I would prefer if knocked out guards could only regain consciousness if someone else finds them and wakes them up.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I just realized TDS feels like I'm playing a mediocre mod; not a studio title.
    Taff, you're right. I've just been playing some Half-Life mods, and there are definitely some similarities in the various glitches. In the same way as those mods suffer from the limitations of the HL engine, TDS suffers from the limitations of its own engine. Many of the features seem like they were forced in, barely working.

Page 49 of 142 First First ... 394546474849505152535999 ... Last