Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 64

Thread: Something eerie a friends daughter told me.

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post
    i don't believe in ghosts or anything of that sort, i think its just the mind trying to make something up to fill in something that is not there.

    once when i was a child living in sussex, i watched queen music video tap (i'm going slightly mad) and through that i think it was brian turned to the camera and went 'oo oo ah ah'

    later that night i was up just staring at where i kept my toys (under my younger brothers bed)and could have sworn i saw a minature panther crawl out and make the same noise, needless to say i was scared as heck as i was only 4/5 but simple answer is that my imagination went a bit wild.

    my point is, the brain will make up alot of things to put something there when it is not
    Sadly, there is never enough evidence for the non-believer and most have never even studied paranormal activity enough to offer comment.

    You are, sadly, a prime example, because you speak of ghosts whereby most informed people would speak of spirits.

    Yes, ghosts do exist but they are vastly different from spirits because ghosts do not interact with their environment.

    I won't go on and I hope I haven't been harsh upon you, Daniel. I like and respect you very much but I am easily offended when people are so dismissive.

    I suggest you read or study The Ghost of Flight 401. This is the briefest report I could find but one of the dead pilot's voice was actually recorded on the Black Box.

    http://www.subversiveelement.com/Fli...nAirlines.html

    Lo
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank you lo

    im at a loss however, as i myself do not understand the difference between said ghosts and spirits, i thought they were the same, just ghosts have not moved on
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Sadly, there is never enough evidence for the non-believer and most have never even studied paranormal activity enough to offer comment.


    Lo
    Sadly there is never enough evidence for the believers to understand the truth........

    Only playing devils advocate Lo, but it works both ways.

    You can't say Ghosts or spirits 'do' exist, you say i believe they exist. Same way that people believe in god.
    There is no real independent scientific proof. Quote all the books or 'studies' you can find. They are by no means a real piece of evidence.
    This is just a carry on from the other debate a while ago, going round in circles and another reason why i said it should be brought up. As with Religious beliefs, there's alot to the individual interpretation and conversations can go south quickly.
    Just my 2c

  4. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    7,374
    Does this supernatural stuff exist? I'm not sure. I've certainly had a few personal experiences which I think might be this in nature, but nonetheless while somewhat interesting to me I have no desire to pursue that area.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielsun View Post
    Thank you lo

    im at a loss however, as i myself do not understand the difference between said ghosts and spirits, i thought they were the same, just ghosts have not moved on
    Ghosts are wrongly named, often. A ghost is like a video recording, if you like. It is an old recording that is kind of etched into the atmosphere and it will not leap out and do something harmful but will be seen by many walking the same old path

    A spirit can take on many forms and is more active.

    Sometimes, when a person dies extremely suddenly he/she may not realise it and said soul continues to dwell in their environment, completely oblivious to the fact that their physical body has expired.

    That's a simplisic explanation but I hope it has helped in some way
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by andy3536 View Post
    Sadly there is never enough evidence for the believers to understand the truth........

    Only playing devils advocate Lo, but it works both ways.

    You can't say Ghosts or spirits 'do' exist, you say i believe they exist. Same way that people believe in god.
    There is no real independent scientific proof. Quote all the books or 'studies' you can find. They are by no means a real piece of evidence.
    This is just a carry on from the other debate a while ago, going round in circles and another reason why i said it should be brought up. As with Religious beliefs, there's alot to the individual interpretation and conversations can go south quickly.
    Just my 2c
    But those who disbelieve have largely ignored all of the evidence around them, Andy mate.

    I wouldn't even call myself a believer in "God" per se but I have studied for over twenty years the evidence of the afterlife and most who dismiss it are ill-informed.

    In order to form an opinion one simply must study something inherently.

    Psychics have been assisting the police for decades in regard to evidence that comes in the form of guidelines that are not submissable for court testimony. There is an interesting programme on TV entitled "Psychic PrivateEyes". It's worth a watch. Only when you open yourself up to these things and listen will one be able to hopefully, form a more rounded opinion
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Siorrachd Dhùn Phris, Alba
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    But then there's paranoid schizophrenia...
    This is very true.

    Years ago, when I was 12 and our class had just moved from the Primary to the Academy, there was a girl in my class who hung around with me and a couple of other friends. She began to act very strangely and was always drawing a strange, disturbing character on her jotters and bits of paper. She then began to talk about it and was saying how it wanted her to be unhappy and wanted to kill her.
    After a while, the way she spoke about it, we began to get uncomfortable and even annoyed as she always seemed obsessed with this character and began to say that she could see it, even when we were with her and that it would kill us too if she displeased it. We ended up shouting at her to shut up about it and stop being stupid and trying to get attention. In the end, we told her parents because we were very confused about it all.

    Shortly before our Standard Grade (GSCE) exams, she left school and we didn't know why so we asked her parents. She had been diagnosed with having Schizophrenia. Since then, she's been on medication and with help, has managed to get pass a couple of college courses and is back on track with her life and pursuing the career that she wants.

    I don't think there is an age limit on when this condition can strike, so I would think that unless this girl is just teasing you, there could be a real possibility of this. Don't be too quick to write it off as her being silly, if she is being persistant about it.
    Although I was just a kid at the time, I still feel bad for the way I felt and treated my friend when there was a real cause for why she acted the way she did.
    Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Siorrachd Dhùn Phris, Alba
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Psychics have been assisting the police for decades...
    I don't claim to know how it works, or what exactly happens after death, but I do agree with you Lo, that there definetely seems to be something out there.

    A few years ago, I read about a little girl who had noticed to be talking to herself a lot. The parents asked her what she was doing and she replied that she was talking to her grandfather (who had apparently died very recently). They dismissed it as her way of grieving and left her to it.
    A few weeks later, their house was burgled and the family car stolen and so the police were called. The girl was very insistant of trying to talk to them herself and when they let her, she told them her grandfather had told her that the car was next to a tall bridge where there were trees and white flowers. Her parents tried to tell her to stop being silly, but she was very persistant giving them great detail and even drawing them a picture, but they just ignored her.
    When the police eventually found the car abandoned, they were amazed (and probably creeped out lol) to see that the location of the car was exactly as described and shown in the picture, with a bridge overhead, a small woodland near the road and those white, wildflowers growing alongside the road.

    I guess it's possible that she did just have an overactive imagination and it was just coincidence or plain luck that the car happened to be in a place that looked exactly how she'd described it, but it is so unlikely an event that I am inclined to believe otherwise.

    Apparently, after a few years, she stopped hearing her grandfather, but seems happy that he is at peace. It could be a case that she just grew up and her imagination was controlled, or it could also be evidence to what Lo said about children being more psychically connected.

    As I said, I don't claim to know how it works, or what exactly is happening, but I do truly think that there are things out there beyond this life and things that we possibly will never be able to truly understand.
    Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    But those who disbelieve have largely ignored all of the evidence around them, Andy mate.

    I wouldn't even call myself a believer in "God" per se but I have studied for over twenty years the evidence of the afterlife and most who dismiss it are ill-informed.

    In order to form an opinion one simply must study something inherently.

    Psychics have been assisting the police for decades in regard to evidence that comes in the form of guidelines that are not submissable for court testimony. There is an interesting programme on TV entitled "Psychic PrivateEyes". It's worth a watch. Only when you open yourself up to these things and listen will one be able to hopefully, form a more rounded opinion
    Eer, no. Were gonna have to agree to disagree on that.
    And sighting a TV program made for entertainment is not about to convince me.

    But again, why are you calling me ill informed as i do not conform to your beliefs? There is no fact regarding this. So i'm starting to take offence.
    Belief in this is the same in a belief in god. There is no real proof of these things so it's about faith. You have faith that what you read about and see on TV is true. Same as if taken from a bible.
    Calling me ill informed is not true in this case, i am very well informed on the subjet as people in my family are belivers. You should think before you insult someone (and i do see it as an insult, you don't really know me after all)
    I know of much 'eviedence' and have caught many a TV show and been told this book, that book blah blah. I just choose not to believe it. As the majority of it has more holes in it than a collinder.
    As with anything, you way the evidence up on all sides, and you make you mind up. You choose to believe, i do not. There is no fact or real proof either way. It's just an opinion.

  10. #35
    So,neither are corporial,ghosts cannot interact,and spirits can?Do you believe in demonic possession Lo?
    signature image

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Siorrachd Dhùn Phris, Alba
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by andy3536 View Post
    ...and been told this book, that book blah blah.
    Sorry, I wasn't directly talking to you about what I read. I was just taking part in the conversation.
    Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye.

  12. #37
    Well, getting back to the original topic: Don't freak out, the kid's imagination is getting a bit out of hand, that's all. I'm currently in my fourth year of college and majoring in child/adolescent psychology, so while I won't claim to be a trained expert I am willing to bet that I have a bit more recent, in depth knowledge of this sort of subject than the average Joe. While it is unusual for a child to fear for their life, you also have to remember that children of that age do not yet grasp just what "life" and "death" involve. When the child claimed that their shadow was going to murder them, they didn't really know what that meant, and it was most likely an expression used to show that they were uncomfortable with something else in their life. My reasoning? First of all, children are afraid of the dark for a reason: it's unknown. It takes us a long time to figure out that just because we can't be sure of something doesn't mean we shouldn't fear it, and children being afraid of the dark/monsters under the bed/closet is an excellent example of this played out physically. Next time a kid tells you they have a monster in their room ask them to describe it. Chances are they won't be able to or they'll give a different description each time, even within minutes of the previous telling, so a child's fear of their own shadow really isn't that abnormal. Also, you say the child wasn't freaking out, this just backs me up. If the child was seriously afraid of this they wouldn't act that way. The most likely explanation here is that the kid knows that "murder" has bad connotations and was using it to describe another fear that they couldn't quite articulate. It's normal, it's even healthy. If it goes on and starts causing significant distress get worried, otherwise all is well. Also, KoolKat: schizophrenia typically starts manifesting during adolescence, in fact the number of children under the age of 8 in the USA who have schizophrenia numbers in the hundreds. It is incredibly rare, and almost always blatantly obvious (for some reason it seems to appear quicker and stronger than it does in adolescents and adults).

    Now then, this topic has branched out into another area that I'd like to discuss as well: I trust you guys quite a bit, you've been good to me, so I feel confident that the following will be seen as what it really is. It is no secret that I'm an atheist, what most of you don't know is why. Roughly 7 years ago I committed suicide. That's committed, not attempted. I was legally dead for roughly 5 minutes. I do not wish to shake any religious beliefs that others hold, nor do I wish to insult anyone, so if you wish to know more about the details send me a PM and I'll be glad to open up, it's not a sore topic, but for the sake of space and respect I'll leave it at this: I've been in a situation that the vast majority of people on this planet cannot claim to have experience in, and when I walked away I was no longer able to hold any belief in ghosts, spirits, God, an afterlife, or other supernatural events related to life after death. It is a combination of my initial experience and 7 years worth of personal research that allow me to be certain on these topics. So far as psychics go: it is within the realm of reason to assume that if the circumstances were correct it may be possible to read and interpret the electrical impulses of the brain, but these impulses are so weak that there is no conceivable way of reading them without physical contact with the person as they are having the thought. The police do not use psychics because it is an unfounded science and they cannot afford to go on hunches. From a strictly physical stance, it's impossible. People may claim that we leave an "imprint" wherever we go but this has no foundation and plenty of evidence to the contrary. Please do not get me wrong here: I am not claiming that I am right, I am just stating the truth: the evidence for supernatural phenomenon linked with either the afterlife or psychic abilities is rare, usually poorly documented, and almost always much easier to explain using non-supernatural causes. If anyone can provide me with a link to a good website (i.e. not a ".com" or similar), book, movie, etc. which is backed by current (anything after 1985) studies I will be glad to look it over and review my views. I would be delighted to be shown the error of my ways, but as I said before, 7 years of independent research has been almost entirely fruitless.

    Once again, I don't mean to hurt anyone here, and I most certainly don't want to sway anyone's religious beliefs, I'm only stating what I've come to believe through first-hand experience.
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolKat View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't directly talking to you about what I read. I was just taking part in the conversation.
    Wasn't refering to you. Just trying to point out that you can take what you see at face value. Or you can choose to look at it more deeply.

    Alow me to elaborate.
    A while ago i watched a show on how the Russian KGB tried to 'train' a poltergeist to do their bidding as it were. It was supposedly at the height of the cold war and they had lots on interviews and documentation of people that 'were' there and supposedly trying to train the thing or working on the project.
    They had video footage etc trying to pass this across as a piece of fact, this was scientific evidence and it was very much dressed up as that.
    You can take it at face value, or you can see it as a piece of entertainment. Or you can actually look at it a little more deeply.

    How did they have paper work evidence from the 70s that's still not been made available for people to look at? How is it the people that are revealing Russias secrets from a few decades ago when it should still be locked in the national archives and they're happily showing their face.
    How is it they made a show without any reference at the end to Russian archives or intelligence helping them out?
    If they couldn't have got to the archives, and people are supposedly giving out national secrets which is strictly forbidden without hiding their identity. You can start to see that that it's not really likely.
    Some believers would have watched the show and as they believe that sort of thing, taken it all in as fact. Some do not. Even though when they refer to the KGB withouut hiding their identities and using info that wouldn't have been released in from the national archive that you really see.

    But it's the same with any TV show/book, you can take it at face value and believe what they are telling you. Or you can choose not to believe it, or too really look at it.
    Untill you looks at a subject with skeptical eyes, rather than looking wanting to believe. You really won't find any real answers.
    Same way that some people read the bible, think it's all true and believe unquestionably what they see, others think it's an elaborate story and a load of waffle. They form completely different opinions from the same evidence do they not?

    There really is no accountability with much of the evidence regarding this subject either. And there really is no real evidence from completely independent scientists.

    When the scientist at Cern start trying to talk to spirits, then i'll start to believe....

    @ raziels revenge. That's powerfull reading.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Andy,

    Sorry I over-reacted, incidentally.

    I was definitely having one of the worst days ever yesterday for reasons totally unconnected with Eidos and the ensuing discussions. I feel a bit silly now in the clear light of day as I have always had the greatest regard for you

    Hopefully we can still remain friends!

    Lo
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Siorrachd Dhùn Phris, Alba
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by andy3536 View Post
    Wasn't refering to you.
    Oh, ok.
    Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Andy,

    Sorry I over-reacted, incidentally.

    I was definitely having one of the worst days ever yesterday for reasons totally unconnected with Eidos and the ensuing discussions. I feel a bit silly now in the clear light of day as I have always had the greatest regard for you

    Hopefully we can still remain friends!

    Lo

    Of course Lo

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by andy3536 View Post
    Of course Lo
    Thanks hun, it means a lot
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziel'sRevenge View Post
    Roughly 7 years ago I committed suicide. That's committed, not attempted. I was legally dead for roughly 5 minutes. .
    Holy . I wasn't expecting that.

    Anywho, on the one hand, a lot of the supernatural events documented are 'I heard about, I read about, a friend of a friend told me.' As such, I remain skeptical.

    That said, the digs at religion are getting a bit tiresome.

    To answer the threads original question, I wouldn't worry just yet, but if it persists, investigate further.
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by dumah's wraith View Post
    Holy . I wasn't expecting that.

    Anywho, on the one hand, a lot of the supernatural events documented are 'I heard about, I read about, a friend of a friend told me.' As such, I remain skeptical.

    That said, the digs at religion are getting a bit tiresome.

    To answer the threads original question, I wouldn't worry just yet, but if it persists, investigate further.
    Well, most people who know me are surprised to find out about my past. I take it as a compliment, it just reminds me of how far I've come.

    Also: I'm sorry if any offence was taken, I in no way meant to attack any form of religion, but if I'm out of line here I'd like to apologize for it.
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,261
    what digs at religion? i feel like i have missed a major part of this convo lol
    "Die Potato" "Not today!"
    signature image

  21. #46
    I saw something wild when I was a kid, and I know sure as s*** it wasn't my imagination because my fat ass wouldn't have been running as fast as it was. I don't believe that there's ghosts, I kinda lean towards something else....
    Xbox Live Gamertag: blood asylum

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by One of Seven View Post
    I saw something wild when I was a kid, and I know sure as s*** it wasn't my imagination because my fat ass wouldn't have been running as fast as it was. I don't believe that there's ghosts, I kinda lean towards something else....
    Something else..........









    Lol, time for humor in this thread

  23. #48
    I found out what it was! It was...


  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by dumah's wraith View Post

    Anywho, on the one hand, a lot of the supernatural events documented are 'I heard about, I read about, a friend of a friend told me.' As such, I remain skeptical.

    That said, the digs at religion are getting a bit tiresome.

    To answer the threads original question, I wouldn't worry just yet, but if it persists, investigate further.
    General observation, directed at no particular person.
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by dumah's wraith View Post
    Holy . I wasn't expecting that.

    Anywho, on the one hand, a lot of the supernatural events documented are 'I heard about, I read about, a friend of a friend told me.' As such, I remain skeptical.

    That said, the digs at religion are getting a bit tiresome.

    To answer the threads original question, I wouldn't worry just yet, but if it persists, investigate further.
    Spiritualism has only recently been recognised as a religion but I would prefer to call it a belief system since I am not really committed to any one religion.

    I have had several encounters with the paranormal but to me it is just something I find natural just as people procreate.

    When you consider the complication of creating another human being in terms of all the genetics and cell creation, DNA et cetera, one shouldn't really be surprised to know/think that the soul would continue after death.

    Why? because the "mind" is unique and individual and completely seperate from the brain per se. Yes, moods are effected by brain activity but what makes a person "naturally" bad can easily continue after death and often does. This is most evident in dastardly spirits that won't move into the "other sphere" because they are often afraid of retribution or "facing their demons" so they hang around making trouble for those still in the physical sphere.

    Some souls are often stuck here because they pass so suddenly and don't actually realise they are deceased.

    I always recall an interesting story from the guy, Tele Savalas who used to play "Kojak" on TV. i wont recount it here unless asked but I do have something else that folks might find of interest


    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •