Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

This here is a thread for all questions on Batman trade collections. If you've never read a Batman (doubt it for a lot of you.) comic in your life; or if maybe you've read a few and are wondering where to go next; if you're interested in picking up the monthly comics (which are pretty cool right now) or just looking for recommendations, start here.

The top 20 Batman related Graphic novels (in my opinion) for all beginner readers...

I will upload links to the Amazon reviews of each book. For you all to check out

Generally, every Batman fan here was introduced to the character through the media (Film, Television). Obviously batman:Arkham Asylum too.Then one day we picked up a comic and fell into a deeper, richer, crazier Gotham City with a history stretching back to 1939. Interested? I think you are. But which Batman comics should I read first?

1. Batman: Year One <----- Begin here!
    2. The Long Halloween
    3. The Dark Knight Returns
    4. The Killing Joke
    5. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House

6. Batman:Hush
    7. Batman & Son
    8. Strange Apparitions
    9. The Man Who Laughs
    10. Dark Victory

11. Robin: Year One

12. Batman: Ego
    13.Batman & Son
    14. Batman:The Black Glove (Read after 13.)
    15. Joker
    16. The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told Vol.1
    17. Batman R.I.P (read after 13 & 14)

18. Tales of the Demon
    19. Batman Chronicles Vol.1
    20. Batman Adventures: Mad Love
    21. A Death in the Family
    22. Batman & The Monster Men
    23. Knightfall (all parts)
    24. Batman Venom
    25. Batman Gothic

"Do I need to read everything in order?"

No, but some people like to. The fact is that there is no concrete reading order...continuity shifts, overhauls and contradicts itself all the time. Don't feel that order is in any way necessary - a lot of people would say it's more important to read the major books first in order to gain a good appreciation of Batman and the different types of stories he's in. Also a lot of the fun is in putting together the various stories and eras as you go.
    Just read whatever seems interesting to you and make your own way from there

If you're looking for...

Darker or more "mature" Batman stories, try
    The Dark Knight Returns / Arkham Asylum: A Serious House / The Killing Joke / Joker GN/Batman:City of Crime.

Frank Miller's Continuity
    The Dark Knight Returns,The Dark knight Strikes back/batman & Robin boy wonder/Batman year one/

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight
    Year One / The Long Halloween / The Killing Joke / Gotham Central: Unresolved Targets (featuring the Joker) / Gotham Central: Half a Life (featuring Two-Face) / Joker GN

Similar to The Animated Series
    Mad Love / The Long Halloween / Hush / Batman: Ego / The Heart of Hush

Catching Up on batman Reborn.

Batman Reborn is the loose term for the current stage in monthly continuity. Bruce Wayne is missing and presumed dead; the first Robin has become the new Batman and Bruce Wayne's recently revealed son, an obnoxious 10 year old trained assassin, has become the new Robin.

Depending on what titles or characters you're interested in, there's a few different lead-ins to the current monthly comics...

Batman & Son / The Black Glove / Batman R.I.P three tpbs collecting Grant Morrisons Batman run 2006 -2009
    This run features the introduction of Damian Wayne; Doctor Hurt and the Black Glove: the Club of Heroes; the Batman of Zur En Arrh; Michael Lane (the new Azrael); the new incarnation of the Joker and the figurative end of Bruce Waynes career as Batman. Most of these elements return in the current main series Batman & Robin.

Although it is comprised of story arcs that can be read on their own, most of the significance of the overall run and the climax in Batman R.I.P will be lost without reading all three trades from beginning to end.

The Road Home - 2010/11

The Return of Bruce Wayne - Grant Morrision 2010
    Is a six issue series that accounts Bruce Wayne's misadventures through time. I believe a collected edition is released somewhere in November.

Batman & Robin vol.1: Batman Reborn Grant Morrison 2010
    The first volume of the Batman & Robin series is a new stage in Grant Morrisons ongoing run that can be started fresh on its own with out too much trouble, even if reading the earlier three collections is ideal. Containing issues 1-6, this trade features Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne adapting to their new roles as they face off Proffessor Pyg, Jason Todd and Flamingo on the trail of the mysterious Domino Killer. Issue 11 of this series is currently on shelves with the next collected volume Batman VS Robin due in November 2010.

The Heart of Hush - Paul Dini on Detective Comics, 2009
    This is the origin story that redefined Tommy Elliot aka Hush and introduced his vendetta against Catwoman, both which continue into the new monthly titles Streets of Gotham and Gotham City Sirens, where Tommy is currently appearing as an imposter of Bruce Wayne. The Heart of Hush takes place between The Black Glove and RIP tpbs but is not actually part of that story.

Final Crisis miniseries by Grant Morrison 2009
    The "death" of Bruce Wayne occurs over a few pages in issue 6 of this miniseries, which in general concerns the wider DC universe fighting for the fate of all reality against evil Fourth World gods. I'd suggest you learn more about Bruce's death just by asking or reading around, as Batman is otherwise not a very significant part of this story. This takes place directly after the events of R.I.P..

Battle for the Cowl miniseries written and drawn by Tony Daniel 2009
    A three issue miniseries that features the former Robins Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake, and a host of villains in the wake of Batmans disappearance. Not so important for understanding the Batman & Robin title, but rather sets-up events over in Tony Daniels recent run in Batman.

Under the Hood Vol.2 - Judd Winick on Batman 2005
    The original story of Jason Todds ressurection and return to Gotham is collected in two volumes; the first ties into the crossover War Games as the Black Mask and a mysterious new red hooded vigilante battle it out. Volume two focuses more on Bruce Waynes personal reaction to Jasons return, Jasons youth as Robin and his death and subsequent revenge on the Joker. Jason Todd becomes important again in Vol.1 of the current Batman & Robin series, and is also the star of the upcoming miniseries The Red Hood: The Lost Days. This story takes place before the beginning of Batman & Son.

NOTE: This thread will be continuously updated when I have the time to do so.
    Sometimes, doing something wrong is what it takes to do something right.

No point recommending R.I.P if the person hasn't read Batman & Son, Batman: The Black Glove first. Same goes with Dark Victory, people need to read The Long Halloween first.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    No point recommending R.I.P if the person hasn't read Batman & Son, Batman: The Black Glove first. Same goes with Dark Victory, people need to read The Long Halloween first.

I have the long Halloween in the order. And thanks for reminding me about Batman and son and the Black Glove.

check David Lapham's CITY OF CRIME into the "dark / mature" category ... I recently read it and thought it was ace ... also, it's one of the best renditions of Robin I've seen in a long time ... renewed my faith in the Boy Wonder

Grant Morrison's BATMAN & ROBIN is brilliant also ... I just can't get enough of Quitely's art and the characterisation of the "new" batman (Dick Grayson) & robin (Damian) is pretty impressive ... plus Red Hood shows up and is brilliant too

think HUSH is one of my all-time favourites so couldn't recommend it highly enough ... again, Jim Lee's art is second to none

also, check out ARKHAM: HELL ON EARTH ... it was the game that actually got me informed on this and I'm chuffed it did because it is fantastic - pretty much has everything in it, from humour to horror and also introduces some cool new villains (well, they were new to me at time of reading) but also some great cameos from the likes of Joker, Two-Face, etc

(if anything, the game completely turned me around and got me back into my comics ... kudos Rocksteady for making a game so finely tuned into the Batman universe)

Originally Posted by Zur-en-ah
    check David Lapham's CITY OF CRIME into the "dark / mature" category ... I recently read it and thought it was ace ... also, it's one of the best renditions of Robin I've seen in a long time ... renewed my faith in the Boy Wonder

Grant Morrison's BATMAN & ROBIN is brilliant also ... I just can't get enough of Quitely's art and the characterisation of the "new" batman (Dick Grayson) & robin (Damian) is pretty impressive ... plus Red Hood shows up and is brilliant too

think HUSH is one of my all-time favourites so couldn't recommend it highly enough ... again, Jim Lee's art is second to none

also, check out ARKHAM: HELL ON EARTH ... it was the game that actually got me informed on this and I'm chuffed it did because it is fantastic - pretty much has everything in it, from humour to horror and also introduces some cool new villains (well, they were new to me at time of reading) but also some great cameos from the likes of Joker, Two-Face, etc

(if anything, the game completely turned me around and got me back into my comics ... kudos Rocksteady for making a game so finely tuned into the Batman universe)
    Thanks, forgot about city of crime.

So where does All Star Batman & Robin sits? I think it clashes with Dark Victory. Both depicts the beginning of Dick Grayson transformation to Robin. But I can treat it as another alternate story.

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade
    So where does All Star Batman & Robin sits? I think it clashes with Dark Victory. Both depicts the beginning of Dick Grayson transformation to Robin. But I can treat it as another alternate story.
    All star Batman & Robin Boy wonder are set in another continuity.

ASB+R is in Frank Miller's continuity.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    ASB+R is in Frank Miller's continuity.
    It isn't in mainstream continuity though.

I have a question,who is Oberon Sexton?

Originally Posted by mwkcope
    I have a question,who is Oberon Sexton?
    It hasn't been explicitly stated, So I can only guess.

It's a mystery OOOOOOO!!!!
    I wonder where Batman keeps his Batarangs. Probable not in his utility belt. They might cut off something important.

Originally Posted by The_Mad_Batter
    It's a mystery OOOOOOO!!!!
    Yes. Yes it is.

I will get my Batman and Robin copy in a moment! Finally, rejoice!
    Now I can see how much badass of a sidekick Damian really is.

edit:
    Finished it.
    I love the orange cover.

It's a good read. I wasn't dissapointed with Damian, he's a badass through and through. His quarrel with Dick got me in stiches, but somehow I feel for Dick. It's gotta be hard raising a stubborn and arrogant kid like Damian.

Only thing is, the villains are not so great. Red Hood? Meh. More like a guy in a dull helmet, and Scarlet is just lame. Can't Jason Todd die already? I'm tired of him being an evil Batman (in Battle for the Cowl), now being a Red Hood, in the past he' was Hush (although it's not really him but still), etc.

Not only he lost his identity, but he was mental enough to announce to the world through internet that he's a sick pervert who strips naked Batman and Robin down to their underpants. I mean that's it? It's not even threatening, it's child's play, and it fails miserably compared to what Joker did in the Killing Joker. Jim Gordon had worse. And Jason was daft enough to leave his prisoners alone unguarded until the camera goes online.

Gosh the guy totally lost it. Good he's being arrested by police, let's hope he stays locked up in jail for a long, long time. He won't be a memorable villain anytime soon.

All of that aside, Damian, Dick and Alfred made this issue for me.

Can't wait for the next issue.

I will get my Batman and Robin copy in a moment! Finally, rejoice!
    Now I can see how much badass of a sidekick Damian really is.

edit:
    Finished it.
    I love the orange cover.

It's a good read. I wasn't dissapointed with Damian, he's a badass through and through. His quarrel with Dick got me in stiches, but somehow I feel for Dick. It's gotta be hard raising a stubborn and arrogant kid like Damian.

Only thing is, the villains are not so great. Red Hood? Meh. More like a guy in a dull helmet, and Scarlet is just lame. Can't Jason Todd die already? I'm tired of him being an evil Batman (in Battle for the Cowl), now being a Red Hood, in the past he' was Hush (although it's not really him but still), etc.

Not only he lost his identity, but he was mental enough to announce to the world through internet that he's a sick pervert who strips naked Batman and Robin down to their underpants. I mean that's it? It's not even threatening, it's child's play, and it fails miserably compared to what Joker did in the Killing Joker. Jim Gordon had worse. And Jason was daft enough to leave his prisoners alone unguarded until the camera goes online.

Gosh the guy totally lost it. Good he's being arrested by police, let's hope he stays locked up in jail for a long, long time. He won't be a memorable villain anytime soon.

All of that aside, Damian, Dick and Alfred made this issue for me.

Can't wait for the next issue.
    Glad you liked it. I hear the next trade is sometime in November.

Thank you. I'd be sure to reserve a copy a month or two early for the second volume because the new Batman Reborn books are so rare here. I have to wait for my copy of Batman & Robin a few weeks and finally got mine two days ago.

I'm new to the Batman comics and I've just started this year. I don't read other superheroes comics because they're so farfetched and too powerful it's riddiculous. Batman has a certain humanity ground and mortal vulnerability that I like. That's what draws me in the first place. Plus, many of Batman's villains are cool as aces.

Listed below are my book collections so far and have been sorted in a chronological order that seems logical to me (do correct me if I'm wrong though):

Batman chronology

1. Tales of the Demon
    2. DC Comics Classic Library : A Death in the Family
    3. The Dark Knight Returns (The end of the classic Batman story)
    4. Batman Year One (A new reboot for the modern series)
    5. The Man Who Laughs
    6. The Long Halloween
    7. Dark Victory
    8. Catwoman : When In Rome
    9. Robin Year One (I read that after Batman takes in Robin in Dark Victory, this book is the direct continuation of the story)
    10. Hush
    11. Heart of Hush
    12. The Black Casebook (A revisit of past Batman exploits in preparation of RIP story arc)
    13. Batman and Son
    14. The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
    15. The Black Glove
    16. Batman RIP
    17. Batman Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
    19. Battle For the Cowl
    20. Battle For the Cowl Companion (It features Mr. Freeze which I have never seen in comic before! )
    21. Batman & Robin : Batman Reborn
    22. Gotham City Sirens : Union (Can't find Streets of Gotham though..)

Separate Batman chronology

All Star Batman & Robin

Robin collection

1. Flying Solo
    2. Unmasked!
    3. Wanted
    4. The Teen Wonder

Joker collection

1. Batman : Lovers and Madmen
    2. Arkham Asylum
    3. Joker's Asylum
    4. Joker (Brian Azzarello)
    5. Harley and Ivy
    6. Mad Love and other stories

Just to correct you on your chronology (because i'm just that stingy) The Dark knight Returns isn't part of the mainstream continuity. "Whatever happened to the caped crusader" is probably a different continuity too.

But your reading order is great. But don't restrict yourself to batman just because he has a deeper sense of humanity as such. The other characters are equally good. Some Superman stories are pretty awesome. I love Geoff John's run on the Green Lantern.

I used to think like that too, give other characters a try, see what happens.

If you can, definitely add Nightwing somewhere in there as well.

EDIT: If you want a continuation order, look at my list. It obviously starts with Year one, then the Man who laughs directly succeed it. Follows by the long halloween and Dark Victory. After that, doesn't really matter. I wouldn't say it matters at all. It's just best to read year one first.

Yeah I think you're right on The Dark Knight Returns being in a different continuity. It bugged me a little that Batman broke his moral rule by actually killing the Joker, snapping his neck off. And there was also the absence of Damian (well he wasn't created at that time yet,so..)

Regarding 'Whatever happened to the caped crusader' I think it's fine in the time line since it was only Bruce's near death experiences, it was all happening in his head.

I was thinking of Nightwing and Red Robin too, maybe I'll check it out later. It'll take sometime for me to warm up to other superhero series though, I'm taking it slowly so I can enjoy things as much as I can.

Yeah I think you're right on The Dark Knight Returns being in a different continuity. It bugged me a little that Batman broke his moral rule by actually killing the Joker, snapping his neck off. And there was also the absence of Damian (well he wasn't created at that time yet,so..)
    No Joker snapped his own neck. Batman was about to do it but then ultimately refused. Joker snapped his own neck to frame Batman.

Also the SoG trade you're looking for is titled Hush Money.

What, he commited suicide? I need to check that again.

Thanks for pointing out Drazar.

What, he commited suicide? I need to check that again.

Thanks for pointing out Drazar.
    It was pretty obvious.

Originally Posted by angleslam99
    It was pretty obvious.
    Evidently not (for him at least)

Anyway, that's a nice, extensive list you got there. If you want any more suggestions, you could try City of Crime.

Thank you. I'd be sure to reserve a copy a month or two early for the second volume because the new Batman Reborn books are so rare here. I have to wait for my copy of Batman & Robin a few weeks and finally got mine two days ago.

I'm new to the Batman comics and I've just started this year. I don't read other superheroes comics because they're so farfetched and too powerful it's riddiculous. Batman has a certain humanity ground and mortal vulnerability that I like. That's what draws me in the first place. Plus, many of Batman's villains are cool as aces.

Listed below are my book collections so far and have been sorted in a chronological order that seems logical to me (do correct me if I'm wrong though):

Batman chronology

1. Tales of the Demon
    2. DC Comics Classic Library : A Death in the Family
    3. The Dark Knight Returns (The end of the classic Batman story)
    4. Batman Year One (A new reboot for the modern series)
    5. The Man Who Laughs
    6. The Long Halloween
    7. Dark Victory
    8. Catwoman : When In Rome
    9. Robin Year One (I read that after Batman takes in Robin in Dark Victory, this book is the direct continuation of the story)
    10. Hush
    11. Heart of Hush
    12. The Black Casebook (A revisit of past Batman exploits in preparation of RIP story arc)
    13. Batman and Son
    14. The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
    15. The Black Glove
    16. Batman RIP
    17. Batman Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
    19. Battle For the Cowl
    20. Battle For the Cowl Companion (It features Mr. Freeze which I have never seen in comic before! )
    21. Batman & Robin : Batman Reborn
    22. Gotham City Sirens : Union (Can't find Streets of Gotham though..)

Separate Batman chronology

All Star Batman & Robin

Robin collection

1. Flying Solo
    2. Unmasked!
    3. Wanted
    4. The Teen Wonder

Joker collection

1. Batman : Lovers and Madmen
    2. Arkham Asylum
    3. Joker's Asylum
    4. Joker (Brian Azzarello)
    5. Harley and Ivy
    6. Mad Love and other stories
    dude, if you've only just started this year, that's a pretty fine collection you've built so far ...!

what I'm interested in is a list of Joker continuity ... think its at the end of Hush Returns(you should def check that into your collection) when he disappears to the crazy carnival that featured in Killing Joke ... what happened to him after that? and how did things wind back round to his (incarcerated) appearance in RIP?

anyone!?

Question, is this all the no mans land volumes in one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...pf_rd_i=507846
    "I said I would let you go home, I never said alive." - The Joker

That looks like a novel and not the comics.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last