Thread: New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

New to Batman comics?Need updates? Read here!

When should the haunted knight be read?

Before or after the long Halloween and dark victory?
    "I said I would let you go home, I never said alive." - The Joker

Continuety wise it doesn't make sense, go figure that by the way. I'd recommend you just read it after Dark Victory. It's a small fun standalone story that doesn't have ties to the TLH/DV really.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Continuety wise it doesn't make sense, go figure that by the way. I'd recommend you just read it after Dark Victory. It's a small fun standalone story that doesn't have ties to the TLH/DV really.
    It could just be an alternate universe story, like TDKR?
    Sometimes, doing something wrong is what it takes to do something right.

Thats how you should read Loeb stories, yeah.

Has anyone read "Bruce Wayne - Murderer" - http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Bruce-M...7170614&sr=1-4

It is amazing and would love to hear someone else's opinion on the happenings of this novel, because it was freaking incredible.

really?! I've only heard bad things about it ... kinda why its one of the few Batman tpbs that I've actively avoided

what makes it so good?

Originally Posted by Zur-en-ah
    really?! I've only heard bad things about it ... kinda why its one of the few Batman tpbs that I've actively avoided

what makes it so good?
    The whole story is a mystery and a mind bottling experience. Bruce Wayne gets charged for murder and is unresponsive to his allies (Robin, Nightwing, Oracle, new ones) You can feel the anger and tension throughout the whole story, has a twist ending leaving the answer to the reader, and amazing artwork.

I never actually read the entire story but I do have one issue from it; Batman #599. When I read it back then I did not know what was going on because that was the first issue I got of Batman in a while, but after looking it up later I have to say it does sound like a cool idea for a story. I'll have to pick up the TPB some time.

EDIT: I think that Knightfall should be on this list, the first part at least, because I have not read the entire second and third parts yet. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knightf.../dp/1563891425 Its a great (and kind of depressing) read that shows Batman fighting one of his hardest fights against pretty much every villian. If you haven't read it, or don't know how it ends I won't spoil it but its an interesting ending.
    Originally Posted by Batman
    If detective work were easy... everyone would be doing it.
    Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Was that... humor? Now I AM worried about you.

Originally Posted by batmanboy11
    I never actually read the entire story but I do have one issue from it; Batman #599. When I read it back then I did not know what was going on because that was the first issue I got of Batman in a while, but after looking it up later I have to say it does sound like a cool idea for a story. I'll have to pick up the TPB some time.

EDIT: I think that Knightfall should be on this list, the first part at least, because I have not read the entire second and third parts yet. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knightf.../dp/1563891425 Its a great (and kind of depressing) read that shows Batman fighting on of his hardest fights against pretty much every villian. If you haven't read it, or don't know how it ends I won't spoil it but its an interesting ending.
    I've added them to the list.

Originally Posted by freeze131
    I've added them to the list.

EDIT: Maybe the "Final Crisis" TPB should be added. I haven't read it yet, but that's where

Originally Posted by
    [B
    1. Batman: Year One[/B] <----- Begin here!
    2. The Long Halloween
    3. The Dark Knight Returns
    4. The Killing Joke
    5. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House

6. Batman:Hush
    7. Batman & Son
    8. Strange Apparitions
    9. The Man Who Laughs
    10. Dark Victory

11. Robin: Year One

12. Batman: Ego
    13.Batman & Son
    14. Batman:The Black Glove (Read after 13.)
    15. Joker
    16. The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told Vol.1
    17. Batman R.I.P (read after 13 & 14)

18. Tales of the Demon
    19. Batman Chronicles Vol.1
    20. Batman Adventures: Mad Love
    21. A Death in the Family
    22. Batman & The Monster Men
    23. Knightfall (all parts)
    24. Batman Venom
    25. Batman Gothic
    Are these in order of your favorites? It seems weird that the first one is Year One & it says "begin here" & then it goes on in numerical order in no kind of order at all.

I guess if it was me I would put them in order. Books like TDKR for example are even more satisfying with a better understanding of the characters.
    W.W.B.D. What Would Batman Do?

EDIT: Maybe the "Final Crisis" TPB should be added. I haven't read it yet, but that's where
    Final Crisis is a DC event that a Batman-only reader shouldn't invest money on, unless they know about New Gods, Old Gods, Superman and are actually interested in them.

Everything relevant about Batman and Final Crisis happens in R.I.P and Return of Bruce Wayne. Final Crisis isn't necessary reading.

I think you have to have an idea of what happens in Final Crisis to understand why Bruce is dressed like a caveman, pirate or cowboy in the current issues.
    W.W.B.D. What Would Batman Do?

Final Crisis is a DC event that a Batman-only reader shouldn't invest money on, unless they know about New Gods, Old Gods, Superman and are actually interested in them.

Everything relevant about Batman and Final Crisis happens in R.I.P and Return of Bruce Wayne. Final Crisis isn't necessary reading.
    True, I haven't read it and still got on fine.

EDIT: How about "Batman: The Man Who Laughs"? http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Man-Lau.../dp/1401216226 It chronicles Batman's first (official) encounter with the Joker and is a good read. It may not be the best Joker story ever, but IMO it deserves a read.

Originally Posted by Matches Malone
    I think you have to have an idea of what happens in Final Crisis to understand why Bruce is dressed like a caveman, pirate or cowboy in the current issues.
    All explained in RoBW. Now i'm not trying to say Final Crisis is a bad story, nah its a fun story with cool ways of symbolism and themes on the comic indrusty itself, but for a Batman only fan... Don't bother, honestly theres barely any Batman in it, and its mostly a Superman story. Now as Superman story it's really cool, but again... Batman only fan? Don'tm bother. If you wanna get further into DCU tho... Morrison's JLA is a great way to start, and Batman is a total badass in it. It's Morrison who made Superman say the line: Batman... most dangerous man on earth. Which really worked for the context of the situation.

Are these in order of your favorites? It seems weird that the first one is Year One & it says "begin here" & then it goes on in numerical order in no kind of order at all.

I guess if it was me I would put them in order. Books like TDKR for example are even more satisfying with a better understanding of the characters.
    The Batman continuity doesn't have a set chronological order. It's recommended to begin at Batman year one because, that is, the origin of him. The Long Halloween and TDKR are really good books to familarise yourself with the batman universe agenda. Arkham Asylum is a great book to view the psychological depth Batman has.
    But yeah, if you want you can try to piece it together. I think It's Year one/Mad Monk/Monster Men/The Long Halloween/Dark Victory and Batman:confidential (if I remember correctly. Drazar. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    It's not necessary though.

TLH and Dark Victory aren't canon stories. It's like Year One where they tribute the story by having references to the story somehow, but they really just aren't considered canon, nor should they. If you read established Batman books before TLH/DV you see that early years Batman was a good detective and smart, by reading TLH you see Batman as a downright idiot when it comes to detective work, an uninspiring mysteyr killer story that never gets resolved in the book and alot of bland Frank Miller imitations.

Anyone one here read Paul Dini's "Heart of HUSH"? I was thinking about buying it. Is it worth while? P.S. I have read "HUSH", so I will know some background info.

Anyone one here read Paul Dini's "Heart of HUSH"? I was thinking about buying it. Is it worth while? P.S. I have read "HUSH", so I will know some background info.
    yeah defo, it's good ... but be mindful its not the direct sequel to Hush ... that was Return of Hush (AJ Lieberman) -- which is pretty mince truth be told

but Heart of Hush is ace ... classic Paul Dini

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but you don't really need to have read it before you do Dini

(hope this helps )

yeah defo, it's good ... but be mindful its not the direct sequel to Hush ... that was Return of Hush (AJ Lieberman) -- which is pretty mince truth be told

but Heart of Hush is ace ... classic Paul Dini

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but you don't really need to have read it before you do Dini

(hope this helps )
    Thanks man

EDIT: Any major details that I need to know from Return of Hush, before I read Heart of HUSH? (obviously I don't care if you spoil the plot of Return of HUSH)

Thanks man

EDIT: Any major details that I need to know from Return of Hush, before I read Heart of HUSH? (obviously I don't care if you spoil the plot of Return of HUSH)
    mmm kinda -- long story short, there's a beef between Joker and Hush ... and at end of "Return of Hush", he basically hounds Joker out of Gotham all busted and broken

then later there's another storyline that happens before Dini's "Heart of Hush"

the skinny is that Batman turns his back on Hush when Joker comes back for revenge, and Hush then basically begs Batman to help him ... but by not getting involved Batman basically leaves Hush to Joker ... and that doesn't go down well

Hush gets a remote controlled pace-maker installed by Joker and has a rough time trying to get it removed ... he gradually does, and whilst in hiding and healing he realises that he hates Bruce Wayne even more than ever

... thats where Heart of Hush starts off

mmm kinda -- long story short there, there's a beef between Joker and Hush ... and at end of "Return of Hush", he basically hounds Joker out of Gotham all busted and broken

then later there was another storyline that happened before Dini's "Heart of Hush"

the skinny is that Batman turned his back on Hush when Joker came back to get revenge, after Hush basically begging Batman to help him ... by not getting involved Batman basically leaves Hush to Joker ... and that doesn't go down well

Hush gets a remote controlled pace-maker installed by Joker and has a rough time trying to get it removed ... he gradually does, and whilst in hiding and healing he realises that he hates Bruce Wayne even more than ever

... thats where Heart of Hush starts off

Thanks for condensing the story for me

Thanks for condensing the story for me
    all good

if you dig Heart of Hush, then when you're ready check out the first tpb of "Streets of Gotham" ... its sub heading is 'Hush Money' and it picks up exactly where Heart finishes

(loving my Dini at the moment)

all good

if you dig Heart of Hush, then when you're ready check out the first tpb of "Streets of Gotham" ... its sub heading is 'Hush Money' and it picks up exactly where Heart finishes

(loving my Dini at the moment)
    I'll have to look into it

TLH and Dark Victory aren't canon stories. It's like Year One where they tribute the story by having references to the story somehow, but they really just aren't considered canon, nor should they. If you read established Batman books before TLH/DV you see that early years Batman was a good detective and smart, by reading TLH you see Batman as a downright idiot when it comes to detective work, an uninspiring mysteyr killer story that never gets resolved in the book and alot of bland Frank Miller imitations.
    Year one IS considered canon. I'm not sure about TLH and DV. I'd assume they are though.

Page 3 of 6 First First 123456 Last