Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Final Fantasy II needs more love.

Final Fantasy II needs more love.

This was a great game, show some love!

I need to get back to my play-through of the PSP version myself, was leveling up the characters that leave for the Soul of Rebirth.

You need to play it now! The PSP version has Deumion one of the coolest secret bosses in Final Fantasy, and he even gets a back story!

That I do, trying to think where I left off..

Think it was before the events with Josef.

Josef is awesome, but you don't get him for very long.

How do you have your characters set up?

I give Firion swords and bows, and he gets support magic like haste, and blink.

Guy gets axes and sometimes barehande, and uses protective magic like protect and shell.

Maria uses all black and white magic and stays in the back row with rods.

And finally Leon gets debuffing magic, and uses lances.

I honestly can't remember, I'd have to check my game but I'm at work at the moment.

And, besides I wouldn't be able to go back anytime soon >< lol

Going through FFVIII again (god knows why), and still have Xenoblade, Tales of Graces f and FFXIII-2 to finish.

Originally Posted by ilikeikeilikeik

We may have to work on your definition of great...

Although I do agree Deumion's background story was relatively interesting.

Originally Posted by Jackstin

Originally Posted by ilikeikeilikeik

We may have to work on your definition of great...

Although I do agree Deumion's background story was relatively interesting.

Enjoyable, fun experience with a unique leveling system (that led to the SaGa leveling system)

Which version should i play? i am more used to playing Dos/MSX JRPGs now, should i play NES version or PSP version.

Originally Posted by Faisal

Which version should i play? i am more used to playing Dos/MSX JRPGs now, should i play NES version or PSP version.

Try the NES version if...you hate yourself.

I'd say PSP/iOS version for the Soul of Rebirth and Arcane Labyrinth extras.

I don't hate myself but I am intrigued by it now. XD

So essentially the Famicom's levelling system is broken. Many people who don't realise why FF2 is often called the worst FF ever, are those who have played the, frankly alright, later versions. It takes forever to level up magic, and none of them are any use, attacks constantly miss, a massive amount of time is required for grinding, and the best way to level is to attack yourself. Everything is eased up and made more enjoyable for later rereleases, but the original version is brutal.

By all means take it on if you want a challenge, I know Tiael doesn't hate the game so there must be some merit. But me personally, I found it a chore to get through, and only did because I prefer the NES art style for the first 3 games,

I like the 'levelling' system. It's a nice change. I don't like the magic system though. It takes way too long to level up magic, and sometimes levelling them is actually a bad thing.

The NES version is horrible.

Plus beating on yourself to level HP, epic.

I understand why SE (Back then just Square) used that particular 'leveling' system, but it failed for many reasons. Though, I'm playing the iOS version and Magic isn't too much of a problem, just the weapons. The magic system is fine for me but the weapon system just feels a bit wonky. And for some reason, it feels like I'm actually overpowering my team. It feels weird for Firion, Maria and Guy to have over 800 HP and Leila to have about 230 HP. Is that right or is that really overpowered?

The weapons leveling speed stops at a certian point because of the the streagth of the monsters.Have to be monsters over your level.

Magic leveling speed gets slow at level 6. but, cure can get to level 16 fast if you heal everyone as a group.

FFII may not be the best, but Its just a personal favorite of mine, and it think it deserves more attention.

Originally Posted by Jackstin

So essentially the Famicom's levelling system is broken. Many people who don't realise why FF2 is often called the worst FF ever, are those who have played the, frankly alright, later versions. It takes forever to level up magic, and none of them are any use, attacks constantly miss, a massive amount of time is required for grinding, and the best way to level is to attack yourself. Everything is eased up and made more enjoyable for later rereleases, but the original version is brutal.

By all means take it on if you want a challenge, I know Tiael doesn't hate the game so there must be some merit. But me personally, I found it a chore to get through, and only did because I prefer the NES art style for the first 3 games,

So this game designed by Chaos himself. XD

In the NES version, I spent about 5 hours in the area where you first get to the world map hitting myself to get stronger. I got everybody to over 2500 HP and everybody's strength and weapon proficiency got very high. I was strong enough to easily blast through the rest of the game until Pandemonium where my strength was appropriate. I wouldn't say 5 hour total is "Massive amounts of time".

The leveling in the later versions is done very well. Every time you barely survive you get exponentially stronger.

I'm currently at the Cave of Mysidia area of the NES version and have yet to "power level" at all. I think as long as you're conscious about the character building decisions you make, as well as level up appropriate skills, you shouldn't ever need to spend extensive time leveling. Although time and again, I cannot express how much I loathe the Cavern of Deist dungeon and its onslaught of x2 Hill Gigas formations.

I remember spending hours at a time leveling up certain spells like Ultima. Although the leveling system was different I particularly enjoyed it.
    “Turn to the light. Don't fear the shadow it creates.”

I've only played II through my copy of Final Fantasy Origins, but I never got into it. I liked the idea of the story but I found the combat and levelling harder to get used to than the usual "fight and level up with general experience!" I grew up with.

Maybe I should try again one of these days.

I played the PSP version of the game, and somehow I ended up liking the leveling system, even if it took me awhile to understand it for the magic spells. Of all the Final Fantasy games, II has my favorite world map music, and it sounds gorgeus in the PSP version.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

I remember playing the NES version and not understanding how the Leveling system worked. I didn't get very far and eventually gave up. Years later, I was able to finally see it to the end when the PSP version came out. Good game overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last