Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The last film(s) you watched?

Umm... "Alpha and Omega" o-0
    signature image

Girl, Interrupted.
    alkflalkafjklajakajkfd;;
    God I love that movie.

Thumbs Up

My brother and I saw Devil the other day and found it to be pretty good.
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Umah Bloodomen View Post
    My brother and I saw Devil the other day and found it to be pretty good.
    What,are you psychic?I was about to post that.Also,people screamed when the big reveal was made.

I watched Excalibur (1981) earlier, starring such notables as Gabriel Byrne, Liam Neeson, and Patrick Stewart. Very raw and blunt version of Arthur and the Nights of the Round Table legend (violent battles and very stark depictions of sex; be warned). I think it was a pretty amazing film, actually. The beginning is a little rough. Everyone's shouting and sound in dialogue has some issues, and this carries over into some uneven acting in spots throughout the film, but it's overall a very magical film. Magical in the sense that the grittiness of the depiction of the Dark Ages and nights battling, and darker themes throughout are all handled very well on a great visual canvas. Cinematography is very well done, especially toward the end. The whole movie as it goes just gets better and better.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. God, i still love that movie

Ill probably watch RE:Afterlife tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    I watched Excalibur (1981)...
    Definitely an underrated classic. It's got everything: action, drama, fantasy, humor. It did suffer a bit because of the scale such a project involves and the technical limitations of the time. Nevertheless, the magical spark is there. Recommended.

EDIT: Seems that Legendary Pictures is working on a remake, produced by Bryan Singer of X-Men fame. Link.

I agree, Excalibur was pretty damn good. I was a junior in high school then and it left a pretty big impression on me My only real critique is the 14th century armor, a little much for that time I think. But it made good spectacle! Nicol Williamson ruled as Merlin, but he's always good! Check him out in Robin and Marian.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty damn good, even despite itself. After time past most movies like it fall flat as too sugary, or just too much but it's still as good now as it was then. Near perfectly pure entertainment

I love movies!
    signature image
    You just gotta be right this time!

I recently watched all Star Wars films in one go.God that was long.O.O
    Also,did Lucas write all the films in the 70's?I-III is PERFECTLY synced with IV-VI,with practically nevah happens.

Also,did Lucas write all the films in the 70's
    As far as I know he wrote them as he went along. I think it's pretty obvious. Keep in mind all indicators pointed to the first movie (IV) bombing terribly and possibly not even being released. No one including Lucas new what it would become. I really think the continuity between the first 3 films, IV-VI and the second group, I-III is pretty bad. There are so many new plot additions, new concepts and details in I-III that it's almost silly. I'm a fan of IV-VI and I like the look and vision of I-III but I really felt the last 3 movies were thin and a little unbelievable next to the first 3. The parts where the continuity fits together btween the two groups of movies is like a bad connect the dots game, pretty clumsy.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh but if you think of how much time and money was put into them and how many super talented people were involved, there is very little return in I-III.

BUT...I've got something much worse, much weirder and somehow strangely entertaining!
    VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS!

What a weirdo movie!!!
    And yes, that's Beau Bridges there
    A lot of notables from the time, Tommy Kirk, Ron Howard, Freddy "Boom Boom"Cannon, and The Beau Brummels. (If your into that stuff) And music by Jack Nitzsche of Lonely Surfer and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Exorcist soundtrack fame.
    It also had a number of Barris Custom cars including the Surfite!
    It was SO BAD but somehow I was glued to the screen the whole movie
    Until I looked it up, I was unaware it had be a Mystery Science Theater movie subject. I bet they had fun with it!
    If you're into 1960s nostalgia as much as me, you'll probably dig this movie!
    More info-
    http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/vill...formation.html
    signature image

Scaramouche the 1923 version. Not bad as a silent film, I do prefer the one from 1952 starring Stewart Granger.

But both are good entertainment.

I never thought the original star wars were that great to be honest. There's some good set pieces 'stay on target', but some of the dialogue is just awful. Same as the later trilogy.
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

I can agree on that Dumah. As long as they aren't elevated to a high status, they are great. But if you try to look at them as the pinnacle of movie making they fall far short of the mark. I've always felt the first one, IV, worked the best because it's not so serious that the comic relief stuff stands out too much, the plot and dialogue match as far as being like an old action serial. It doesn't try to be more than what it is at face value. I had always thought the cardboard dialog was a nod to the swashbuckling movies and action serials of the 1940s and 50s. The next two movies get more serious as they go but have even more comic relief that's really out of place next to the gravity of the rest of the movie.
    I-III just seem like poor attempts and warping up all the things hinted at in IV-VI while adding all sorts of things in an attempt to top IV-VI in scope and meaning. I think to tell the back story of IV-VI properly you'd need a few more movies than just 3. But of course Lucas arbitrarily picked the number IV as a starting point so they were stuck with it.
    For my money IV is the best, it has everything in the correct amount. Mind you it's no "greatest movie ever" type deal but it works nicely on it's own as a nice fantasy/sci-fi action movie.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWHARD View Post
    I think to tell the back story of IV-VI properly you'd need a few more movies than just 3.
    You are absolutely right.

/nerd hat

There are over 20,000 years of Star Wars history that is left entirely undocumented in the films. The films really just tell the story of how Luke Skywalker became a Jedi Knight and saved the Rebel Alliance from the empire run by Darth Vader. While it may be obvious because of the movies, there are so many other villains, Jedi and Sith alike.

As for bridging the gap between episodes III and IV, while it may not be in the movies, you can see a "what-if" scenario in the game The Force Unleashed.
    It is a terrific game if you haven't checked it out yet. But all that aside, the history apart from the movies makes the events of the movie seem so insignificant in the Star Wars universe that you will realize the movies are just CGI montages that draw people to spend money on a science fiction flick.

Think about the timelines between movies as well:

Episode I: Year -33
    Episode II: Year -23
    Episode III: Year -20
    Episode IV: Year 0
    Episode V: Year 3
    Episode VI: Year 4

It's all a very disjointed story with a lot more to it than the movies care to reveal to us.

I personally like the period called the Galactic Civil War (3900 - 4000 years before Episode IV), the storyline of Knights of the Old Republic I and II games. To think that the Jedi and Sith continue for the next 4000+ years until the time of Luke Skywalker is a very thought-provoking idea.

/nerd hat
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Synchronicity strikes again. I just finished A. E. W. Mason's The Four Feathers. And last night watched The Four Feathers movie with Heath Ledger.

Both the book and the movie were well worth the time. And, frankly, Ledger was much better in the Feathers than as the Joker in the Batman movie.

Ledger was much better in the Feathers than as the Joker in the Batman movie
    I think he was better in A Knights Tale than in the Joker role and that's saying something
    I still think that Joker performance was highly overrated.
    signature image

The Identity (2003 made).

Fun thriller with 2 fun twists. It's a pretty cool plot with a cool execution, but you do need to enjoy it for the laughs too. It's kinda like this serious thriller, but with the killer being kind of an joke.

Thumbs Up Friday looks like we're seeing "Let Me In"...

My brother and I saw The Town the other day and thought it was really good. Ben Affleck makes a good director (he did a good job with Gone Baby, Gone too).
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

I think he was better in A Knights Tale than in the Joker role and that's saying something
    I still think that Joker performance was highly overrated.
    Agreed. Watched that one about a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis296 View Post
    You are absolutely right.

/nerd hat

There are over 20,000 years of Star Wars history that is left entirely undocumented in the films. The films really just tell the story of how Luke Skywalker became a Jedi Knight and saved the Rebel Alliance from the empire run by Darth Vader. While it may be obvious because of the movies, there are so many other villains, Jedi and Sith alike.

As for bridging the gap between episodes III and IV, while it may not be in the movies, you can see a "what-if" scenario in the game The Force Unleashed.
    It is a terrific game if you haven't checked it out yet. But all that aside, the history apart from the movies makes the events of the movie seem so insignificant in the Star Wars universe that you will realize the movies are just CGI montages that draw people to spend money on a science fiction flick.

Think about the timelines between movies as well:

Episode I: Year -33
    Episode II: Year -23
    Episode III: Year -20
    Episode IV: Year 0
    Episode V: Year 3
    Episode VI: Year 4

It's all a very disjointed story with a lot more to it than the movies care to reveal to us.

I personally like the period called the Galactic Civil War (3900 - 4000 years before Episode IV), the storyline of Knights of the Old Republic I and II games. To think that the Jedi and Sith continue for the next 4000+ years until the time of Luke Skywalker is a very thought-provoking idea.

/nerd hat
    Truly,you are a geek.

He's not a nerd, he's a historian
    signature image

Then he's a nerdstorian.

Funny, I did major in history
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Whew! I've been getting caught up on my cult classics with some friends. Over the last week or so we've watched:

Kick-Ass
    Reefer Madness
    Repo! The Genetic Opera
    Across the Universe
    Afro Samurai
    Fight Club
    The Host
    American History X
    Watchmen
    Labyrinth
    Let the Right One In

The deal we've made is two movies per night (well, each part of Afro Samurai counted as a movie, and it's a give or take sort of deal). We're running low on flicks though, any suggestions? We've got a blockbuster out here that's going out of business!
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel'sRevenge View Post
    Whew! I've been getting caught up on my cult classics with some friends. Over the last week or so we've watched:

Kick-Ass
    Reefer Madness
    Repo! The Genetic Opera
    Across the Universe
    Afro Samurai
    Fight Club
    The Host
    American History X
    Watchmen
    Labyrinth
    Let the Right One In

The deal we've made is two movies per night (well, each part of Afro Samurai counted as a movie, and it's a give or take sort of deal). We're running low on flicks though, any suggestions? We've got a blockbuster out here that's going out of business!
    Iron 2 Man

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast