Thread: FFVII Graphics Issues

FFVII Graphics Issues

OP here... I am bumping as well...

We can't be the only ones experiencing this issue, which basically prevents us from enjoying the game we paid for. Please Squenix forums, I beg you, you are our only hope. /end transmission

bump

No one is going to respond here. Typically, with a good company they will look at their forums and help their customers but these guys are only interested in getting your money then hiding.

I highly suggest you call them. But, most likely they will just blame your computer and not help you.

Doesn't hurt to call though. 310-846-0345

i sent in a ticket for it a few days ago doubt ill see a response guess ill just have to play it on the tv instead of monitor

Well, for what it's worth, I'm in the same boat. I installed in on my macbook pro running parallels, and when that didn't run, I stalled it on a normal Win7 x64 computer. In both cases I installed 1.0.5 and when I run the Launcher, the program checks for updates, appears to download a very small update, but then can't apply it saying "Can't start the updater".

If I hit continue, I see the EIDOS splash movie and then the SquareSoft splash movie. Then black screen w/ FF music playing. I can blindly hit Enter or Esc or something and the music stops playing, now there's nothing. If I use arrow keys I hear the sound effect for switching menu entries, but the menu itself is totally black. If it hit 'X' (Accept), I can start a new game and the first cinematic plays. But then when gameplay starts, the graphics are not correct... The background scenery is all black but i see the character models. During the first battle, the UI for the players is totally black. The game is basically unplayable... =/

I've tried running as Administrator, running in compatibility modes, etc... I've tried right-clicking both the Launcher and the FF7-en.exe to specify run in Administrator mode, compatibility mode.. I haven't found any combination that makes a difference, but maybe I haven't picked the right choices yet. Pretty frustrating, but at least with this thread I know i'm not alone....

Any word on that ticket you sent in? This just started happening on my g/f's PC and it had been working fine until now. She clicks play. It launches a black screen then crashes back to the launcher.

Check this out.

I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player the has Netflix built in. When I tried to hook it up to an SDTV via AV cables, Netflix refused to work. Apparently Netflix requires HDMI because there is some sort of copy protection in the cable.

Why am I telling you this? I wonder if this is a similar issue.

Originally Posted by Crono1973
    Check this out.

I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player the has Netflix built in. When I tried to hook it up to an SDTV via AV cables, Netflix refused to work. Apparently Netflix requires HDMI because there is some sort of copy protection in the cable.

Why am I telling you this? I wonder if this is a similar issue.

When I get home later I'll give it a shot by hooking her PC up to a HDMI monitor I have.

It's working fine again without use of a HDMI cable. No reason I can see why it would be working again like magic. The only problem now is she did a full system restore yesterday and it won't sync her saves from her cloud. She has effectively lost all her progress on her game. Cloud saves aren't that useful if you cannot access them SE....

Has anyone created a support ticket on this? I'll give it a shot today though from what I'm hearing no one is really getting any answers.

Same system specs, exact same problem. I looked to see if there was anywhere else I could download the 1.0.6 patch but to no avail. I believe that patch will likely fix the issues with Win 7 64 bit. but who knows.

This seems to be a gong show of a rollout.

Same exact problem. Have had this issue since day one. I gave up on this game and getting refund...so long square.

Bump... Still nothing?

I have the same issue... I'm running Parallels 8 with a 2011 MBP. I've installed it on XP, Windows 7 and 8: same issue. I'm more than positive it's an update needed on SQenix's side (for FF7 itself).

I also have the issue of not being able to update FF7 in my above OS's as well (from 1.0.5 -> 1.0.6). It would be most appropriate that a SQenix rep would at least let us know that there is a "known" issue and they are at least working on it, since it is obviously a bug (or at the least, someone who has submitted a support ticket should report back to one of these threads. I'm about to submit my own).

Just wondering if there was a settings guide to tell me what each setting does. Most are pretty self explanitory but I'm not sure what the best way to filter out the jaggies on the backrounds might be. Already enabled fxaa.

Originally Posted by btb42693

I have the same issue... I'm running Parallels 8 with a 2011 MBP. I've installed it on XP, Windows 7 and 8: same issue. I'm more than positive it's an update needed on SQenix's side (for FF7 itself).

I also have the issue of not being able to update FF7 in my above OS's as well (from 1.0.5 -> 1.0.6). It would be most appropriate that a SQenix rep would at least let us know that there is a "known" issue and they are at least working on it, since it is obviously a bug (or at the least, someone who has submitted a support ticket should report back to one of these threads. I'm about to submit my own).

Since it works on my Win7 64bit desktop w/ the same OS, I wonder if it's the MB Pro video card that's not supported; or perhaps the default drivers that parallels uses to render the screen?

Although, someone on twitter mentioned they were running it just fine w/ Parallels on an MBPro...though it may be an older/different model.

Originally Posted by imported_Christian

Originally Posted by btb42693

Since it works on my Win7 64bit desktop w/ the same OS, I wonder if it's the MB Pro video card that's not supported; or perhaps the default drivers that parallels uses to render the screen?

Although, someone on twitter mentioned they were running it just fine w/ Parallels on an MBPro...though it may be an older/different model.

That would be my guess. Alot of older games, I need to dumb down my graphics. My drivers are not up to date right now because when I update them, none of my games run properly. There are big huge triangle polygons chopping up the screen and stuff. Works with older drivers though.

There is no way to fix the backrounds. They are prerendered and thus cannot be modified without replacing the whole backround, which is impossible.

Originally Posted by imported_TifaTrouble

That would be my guess. Alot of older games, I need to dumb down my graphics. My drivers are not up to date right now because when I update them, none of my games run properly. There are big huge triangle polygons chopping up the screen and stuff. Works with older drivers though.

This is an interesting theory. On the three machines I've tried to run this on:

- MBP w/ Parallels, Win7 x64

- My work computer, a Win7 x64 box

- My home PC, a Win7 x64 box

I have this issue on the MBP and my work machine, but strangely my home PC downloaded 1.0.5 and successfully patched to 1.0.6. Then the game seems to run completely normal after that.

The difference at least between the two Win7 native boxes is that my work machine was recently updated to the latest nVidia drivers (which seem buggy w/r/t other graphics apps I use (I'm a game developer)) .. My home PC is not on the latest drivers and maybe that's why it worked, as hypothesized here.

----

If SquareEnix could just make the 1.0.6 version be what's downloaded by the initial download manager app, maybe that would solve this issue by dodging the strange inability to patch...

Originally Posted by Musi00e0

If SquareEnix could just make the 1.0.6 version be what's downloaded by the initial download manager app, maybe that would solve this issue by dodging the strange inability to patch...

I am running 1.0.6 on my Parallels instances (upgraded to 8 today) and the issue persists. I'm going to ask the guy I saw on Twitter about his version of Parallels, the OS he's running, and if it's a new or old MB.

Virtual Machine > Configure > Options > Security > Isolate Mac from Windows

The issue was resolved by checking the Parallels Knowledge Base about third party apps (shout out to SamCroft).

Virtual Machine > Configure > Options > Security > Isolate Mac from Windows

The issue was resolved by checking the Parallels Knowledge Base about third party apps (shout out to SamCroft).

I am happy to report that this resolved the issue for me on my MBP running Parallels 7. For someone reading this who might still be on Parallels 7 like me, I wanted to be a little more verbose. If you're running in Coherence:

Click the red Parallels icon, choose Devices -> Sharing -> Configure. Then from here, Do like quoted above. Security -> isolate Mac from Windows.

After I did this, the game patched successfully and ran correctly!

So I suspect that for the people with busted Windows boxes, the underlying problem might be that on those machines the My Documents folder might be a network path or otherwise remapped from a normal local harddrive path. That would explain why my work computer doesn't work, but my home PC does.

Thanks for your help here!

Still happens on my work Windows 7 64 bit PC. i was using old nvidia drivers then updated and it was still broken. nVidia drivers wouldn't explain why the updater wouldnt launch anyway.

Hey SJ,

We would like you to please Click on Start, and click on Run (or hold down the windows key and press "R". At the run line type in DXDIAG, and hit OK Click "Save all information" (in the Dxdiag window) and save it to a TXT file. Copy all that information and reply to this thread with it.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last