Thread: Monitor sleep mode when using gamepad

Monitor sleep mode when using gamepad

Monitor sleep mode when using gamepad

My lcd monitor engage the sleep mode after 30 minutes when I'm playing the game with my gamepad and not touching mouse or keyboard for 30 minutes, I'm running Windows 7 64bits edition.

Can anyone confirm there's something to do about this, I can't always modify my default options before playing this game.

Gamepads dont register in windows as `keypresses` so if your power settings are set to sleep if inactive then only thing you can do is change your settings in control panel am afraid..
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Hum, that's the only game that does that, I have a load of them already.

There is a way to have gamepad presses register but i think this is down to the way the other games take a gamepad press and effectively emulate it as a key press.. we dont do that..

lol might just be us then, as i just thought battlestations pacific does this too, as does mini ninjas.. hmm.. pattern appearing here
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

This might be a bit weird but you could use a program like x-padder to assign buttons to keys.
    If you just assigned your fire button to simulate left clicking then every time you fire it would count as a keypress (ok, mousepress) and then you'd never get the sleepmode.

Was using xpadder prior to discover x360 emulation which is 100 times better especially for driving controls, not sure if I can use both without conflict, will try this soon.

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and change the turn off display to never

I know I can choose to not have monitor in sleep mode, I want it in sleep mode when I'm away from keyboard after awhile, and don't want to change this setting each time I'm playing the game.

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    There is a way to have gamepad presses register but i think this is down to the way the other games take a gamepad press and effectively emulate it as a key press.. we dont do that..

lol might just be us then, as i just thought battlestations pacific does this too, as does mini ninjas.. hmm.. pattern appearing here
    There is no need to register gamepad input at all.

Games like this that allow ALT+Enter window switching typically require the programmer to implement SC_ commands themselves, now, i can see that the game atleast incorporates SC_Screensaver as the screensaver is never started, whether it incorporates SC_Monitorpower is questionable, but if it does and there is still these problems, there are other ways to do this, such as faking mouse events (this requires small cpu cycles) or SetThreadExecutionState.

SetThreadExecutionState with EXECUTION_STATE.ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED | EXECUTION_STATE.ES_CONTINUOUS); is the way most media players prevent a display entering standby when video is playing back. Some find it is necessary to execute periodically, but the Continuous command is supposed to handle this itself.

Annoyingly, Sleeping Dogs has the same problem.