Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Adaptive Difficulty System...Gone Mad!

Adaptive Difficulty System...Gone Mad!

Adaptive Difficulty System...Gone Mad!

I have a tendency towards unnecessary elaboration, so I'll attempt to keep this short...

Here's the rundown so my issue can be understood: I began playing early yesterday and sporadically continued over the day and into this one, having churned in excess of eight hours into such. I have, to this time, ignored the "missions" opting instead to sight-see, gather resources and "liberate" town after town. In all, I achieved one-hundred percent at roughly forty areas on the starting isle when the difficulty took an immense and entirely unexpected swing.
    To clarify, I'd define myself as the type of gamer who treads the line between enthusiast and casual: I've played a large and diverse amount of games, my favorite being RPGs and those of a sandbox nature. While the RPG-elements of JC2 (which some might define the upgrading option as) are "lite" at best, the sandbox appealed to me. All told, taking my own gaming-finesse into account, I began my first game on Normal. Whether it is my computer or the game, I found the mouse-control sensitivity too finicky to allow for fluid aiming, leading to some unforeseen and, in a less picky game, avoidable deaths. For that reason, I restarted on Casual, where the enemies slower reactions more than made up for my own inadequacies.
    Thus, here I am, eight-plus hours into a Casual-level game, more than a million in cash on hand, a few weapons that are upgraded two-or-three stars (at the most) and thoroughly enjoying myself. The world is lush and breathtaking, exploration, though limited, is amusing and I'm enjoying the prospect of a game continued in this vein...
    Then, as I said, out of the blue the difficulty ramps up. It's not that the AI became more tactical or advanced, that enemies are making better use of cover or anything of like...rather, it's like the game is cheating. I must stress, this was not some gradual shift, but a very dramatic and swift transition.
    Whereas, before, I could run about freely, mow down most enemy patrols without losing too much health nor expending excessive amounts of ammo and the destruction of, for instance, a single transformer generated a small amount of a level one alert (forgot the terminology...you know what I mean) alone, thus I could generally polish off most of an area before having to flee the mounting enemy force.
    Now, every single enemy is something I have to be wary of. Gone is my enjoyment, as destroying a transformer instantly brings on a level three alert and helicopters. That's right, plural! The enemies also spawn repeatedly, swiftly and illogically (I attempted to take one of the offshore rigs and, after walking up the first stairway, with no one behind me, was killed by the spawning of FOUR men [one an elite] on the staircase itself). My last fight, ere I quit to come here, led me on a cross-isle chase, precipitated by driving a tank past a single soldier. I didn't touch him, didn't shoot, just drove, trying to get back and see if playing a mission would reset the difficulty. Instead, I ended up fleeing dozens of soldiers who blew the tank apart with ease, downing three choppers by hijacking and crashing them, blew four apart in mid-air and was slain when, on attempting to hijack a fourth, the chopper itself was blown apart by TWO others (cementing my theory that the soldiers on this island have no consideration for one another, given that I had not even dispatched the copilot).
    So, my inquiry is thus...can I somehow reset the difficult? Is there anything I can do, at all? I was honestly enjoying the game, as is, with some challenge and a mounting sense of power as I improved my weapons. Now, I'm simply struggling. Not becoming more skilled due to some gradually increased challenge, just struggling against unfair odds that spoil the experience. In short, the game is no longer fun. It also does not seem like this is what the developers ("you," should a developer read this) intended the "Adaptive Difficulty System" to function as: a game-breaker.
    Again, is there anything I can do?

Originally Posted by themadhatter
    I have a tendency towards unnecessary elaboration, so I'll attempt to keep this short...

Here's the rundown so my issue can be understood: I began playing early yesterday and sporadically continued over the day and into this one, having churned in excess of eight hours into such. I have, to this time, ignored the "missions" opting instead to sight-see, gather resources and "liberate" town after town. In all, I achieved one-hundred percent at roughly forty areas on the starting isle when the difficulty took an immense and entirely unexpected swing.
    To clarify, I'd define myself as the type of gamer who treads the line between enthusiast and casual: I've played a large and diverse amount of games, my favorite being RPGs and those of a sandbox nature. While the RPG-elements of JC2 (which some might define the upgrading option as) are "lite" at best, the sandbox appealed to me. All told, taking my own gaming-finesse into account, I began my first game on Normal. Whether it is my computer or the game, I found the mouse-control sensitivity too finicky to allow for fluid aiming, leading to some unforeseen and, in a less picky game, avoidable deaths. For that reason, I restarted on Casual, where the enemies slower reactions more than made up for my own inadequacies.
    Thus, here I am, eight-plus hours into a Casual-level game, more than a million in cash on hand, a few weapons that are upgraded two-or-three stars (at the most) and thoroughly enjoying myself. The world is lush and breathtaking, exploration, though limited, is amusing and I'm enjoying the prospect of a game continued in this vein...
    Then, as I said, out of the blue the difficulty ramps up. It's not that the AI became more tactical or advanced, that enemies are making better use of cover or anything of like...rather, it's like the game is cheating. I must stress, this was not some gradual shift, but a very dramatic and swift transition.
    Whereas, before, I could run about freely, mow down most enemy patrols without losing too much health nor expending excessive amounts of ammo and the destruction of, for instance, a single transformer generated a small amount of a level one alert (forgot the terminology...you know what I mean) alone, thus I could generally polish off most of an area before having to flee the mounting enemy force.
    Now, every single enemy is something I have to be wary of. Gone is my enjoyment, as destroying a transformer instantly brings on a level three alert and helicopters. That's right, plural! The enemies also spawn repeatedly, swiftly and illogically (I attempted to take one of the offshore rigs and, after walking up the first stairway, with no one behind me, was killed by the spawning of FOUR men [one an elite] on the staircase itself). My last fight, ere I quit to come here, led me on a cross-isle chase, precipitated by driving a tank past a single soldier. I didn't touch him, didn't shoot, just drove, trying to get back and see if playing a mission would reset the difficulty. Instead, I ended up fleeing dozens of soldiers who blew the tank apart with ease, downing three choppers by hijacking and crashing them, blew four apart in mid-air and was slain when, on attempting to hijack a fourth, the chopper itself was blown apart by TWO others (cementing my theory that the soldiers on this island have no consideration for one another, given that I had not even dispatched the copilot).
    So, my inquiry is thus...can I somehow reset the difficult? Is there anything I can do, at all? I was honestly enjoying the game, as is, with some challenge and a mounting sense of power as I improved my weapons. Now, I'm simply struggling. Not becoming more skilled due to some gradually increased challenge, just struggling against unfair odds that spoil the experience. In short, the game is no longer fun. It also does not seem like this is what the developers ("you," should a developer read this) intended the "Adaptive Difficulty System" to function as: a game-breaker.
    Again, is there anything I can do?

wow so when was this going to happen ( so I'll attempt to keep this short.. ) ?

Despite the short attention span of some people, a good and fair account on actual game play. Yes I had the same thing, I also didn't do much missions, but due to the fact that I completed a lot of cities, and created ample chaos, indeed the heat system was upgraded (and the game informed me of that fact) and yes I am now using a trainer to switch off the heat, as it is simply rediculous the amount of heat you receive from doing a trivial thing in some far away village. Helicopters, and what not, just for destroying a statue. That way indeed the game stops being fun...

Time to dial down the heat for sure.

I also noticed a sudden shift in difficulty, and I'm playing on casual level, came as quite a surprise!, like the OP I tread a thin line between casual player and enthusiast, it certainly was an insane jump, so far I've managed to survive it, but I have to take a break much more or I start making silly mistakes, like trying to melle a colonel!

Originally Posted by sjaak327
    ...and yes I am now using a trainer to switch off the heat
    What trainer are you using to do that?

Red Faction Guerrilla had a similar game structure but the totally opposite problem, as you take over the land the enemy just disappears until it's totally boring.

...I had the same thing, I also didn't do much missions, but due to the fact that I completed a lot of cities, and created ample chaos, indeed the heat system was upgraded (and the game informed me of that fact) and yes I am now using a trainer to switch off the heat, as it is simply rediculous the amount of heat you receive from doing a trivial thing in some far away village. Helicopters, and what not, just for destroying a statue. That way indeed the game stops being fun...
    Thanks for the response and insight.
    Like Datashocker I would appreciate a link to the trainer you're using (or simply its name, if linking is prohibited), but don't feel obligated to provide one. I'm glad to simply know there is a workaround.

...the heat system was upgraded (and the game informed me of that fact)
    It did? May I inquire how? Some sort of pop-up, I presume. Perhaps I missed it or skipped over it somehow.

Originally Posted by vhold
    Red Faction Guerrilla had a similar game structure but the totally opposite problem, as you take over the land the enemy just disappears until it's totally boring.
    Never played it as my computer, at the time, could not handle the system requirements.
    Understand, this is not what I am after. I enjoy the constant presence of enemies. It makes the world feel natural. I'm merely hoping to dial down the intensity to the reasonable level it was at before: when the game presented a challenge, not unfair odds ending (far too often) in a game-over.

tl;dr learn 2 use breaks

Originally Posted by AUnjustCause
    tl;dr learn 2 use breaks
    Care to expound?

If you kill the colonels, it supposedly reduces "military morale." I'm not sure what that really does. Also, taking down the statues increases "civil unrest." It's possible those things help you claw back some of the difficulty increase?

yes I am now using a trainer to switch off the heat, as it is simply rediculous the amount of heat you receive from doing a trivial thing in some far away village.

Time to dial down the heat for sure.
    I too would be interested in a link for this trainer.. it does get rediculous.......

I just got my popup informing me of the increased difficulty. If it stays at this lvl I'll probably be able to cope although it is noticeable more difficult. Where one naval boat would engage me now I get two in heat lvl 1. I can get the trainer so if it gets too difficult I'll just
    cheat . If anyone is looking for the link to one (trainer) just pm me and I'll give it to you.

Try this for stopping heat:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X119...chFullBeta.exe

You get a certain message about millitiary being upgrade, I forgot the exact wording though

hey guys on what heat level unlock are you?
    i am at level 2 and so far have no problems with the heat, will it become that bad with level3?
    if so, can i avoid the heat level to "upgrade" by not doing stronghold missions?

i jump to level 3 heat alot of the time , and my biggest risk is when a helli comes to rape me i grapple up there then it so slow in taking over the helli (press 1 - - - - - 2 - - - - - 4 ) when im nearly done with that i die because the other 2 hellis still raping my ass..

yeah, the QTE's for getting dudes out of the helicopters is stupid as hell, or even cars for that matter, you're looking at the guy in the face as you sit on the front of his heli, you shoot bullets into his invincible window, and can't take him out. Sure, it was fun the FIRST time, when you're not really doing anything, but there really should be an option to TURN IT OFF, see the motions of your dude quickly beating their face in as you jack their ride and toss them out. But newp, we don't get that. Maybe the modders will fix this in the future. Hopefully before I get bored of it too :<

wow, 3 helis at once shooting at you.. ehm,
    well how to avoid the heat leveling up then? by not doing missions or do the level up as soon as you cause enough chaos?

Yeah, i've got this too and its made the game simply not fun any more. The manual doesn't say anything about lowering military morale or raising civilian unrest so my guess is that they don't actually do anything! Maybe something they planned to implement but never quite got around to!

At the risk of sounding too obvious, concentrate more on upgrading your weapons, maxing them out even, also increasing your max health. I recently upped the assault rifle to 4/6 and instantly noticed the difference in accuracy, power ect, more ammo also - it all adds up. Surely you don't want to go down the trainer route, is it really that bad?

So this has begun for me.. I've focused on upgrading grenades and assault rifle to max and it's made a giant difference. I'm now taking advantage of the ability to press spacebar and detach the mounted machine guns, those tear helicopters apart, so keep your eyes open for those. I used to ignore the med stations, and now I'm hitting those up every chance I get.

And I've been avoiding destroying the non-military installations, instead focusing on taking out the things that claim to make a status change, like colonels, communication towers, statues, and propaganda trucks. I can't really tell if it's making a difference.

When it gets way too crazy, I just bug out of the area and lay low for a little while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline the enter key loves you

maybe i'm missing something, but when you venture into a village and immediately go to heat lvl 1 and the choppers just keep spawning and spawning you simply cannot cope with them imo. the adaptive thing needs to be tweaked imo. I've went from playing the game daily to avoiding it simply because of this issue. I've played enough games in my life to realize that when you start 'scaling' the ai its always a no-win situation.

Humm, interesting what people have experienced.

I consider myself much more hardcore than the OP, and much more capable with the mouse / keyboard. But recalling similar difficulties in JC1, I started the game in casual mode.

Now, I've racked up 30+ hours, and heat level 5+++, and my health sits somewhere around 80-85% of maximum. That said, the game has gotten to the level where I look at a water tower and raise my gun.. and go... Man, i really don't want another 2 hour slugfest with 250 elite troops, 20 helos, paratroopers, etc.

Now I do my collecting on the ground, and when it's time to blow things up, I get a helo or a jet and just run through blowing the town to shreds, simply because there's never any anti-aircraft fighters or missiles. When the SAMs have a hard time keeping up with the lil base jet. And that uberjet... well, let's say this much, practice your flying and get good at using it without dying by attacking the oil platforms. I can make passes on it and get 35/50/65% completion, easily. Three passes, move on.

Slow fly over a town, check it out, then lay waste to it. Learn to find the best incoming and outgoing vectors, and if you crash... well, just evac (free, thank god) to the nearest base with a jet and go at it again.

Honestly, it's the only (non-cheating) way to deal with the ridiculous AI at this point. CASUAL... man. If only.

P.S. I suffer from the same issue as the OP: I post too much. At least I format though :P

P.P.S. I've done a LOT of upgrading and spend 90% of my time wielding the big machine gun. It kills people so fast, they send more, and more, and more, and helos, and more, and helos, and more, and I'm waiting for the nuke. So in the end, upgrades only make for more bad press, then you run out of bullets and things get... unfortunate.

Personally I thought the adaptive difficulty was pretty decent - though I did trawl through the missions before I started making Panau 20% flatter. Still hit level 5 about half way into the game, though. I thought it did a pretty good job of keeping me on the brink of death without having me constantly slaughtered to the point that I throw my controller at the wall. The trick seems to be to keep moving; that what the chute's there for. A snap-to-cover system would be rather nice, though. If you try going Rambo against 20 goons and an attack chopper, you're going to get cut down.

It also took me a while to realise that if you pass a soldier in a stolen military or faction vehicle, they give chase. So if you're confused as to why you're getting attacked for seemingly doing nothing, change to a civilian or black market vehicle.

*edit* I'd also suggest getting the 360 controller if you're playing on a PC. I tried using the keyboard and mouse, and it seems to have been designed for people with ten fingers per-hand. Sure you lose a bit of control over aiming, but it really makes movement a lot more fluid.

I Just hope for a mod or something down the road.

I agree with the over accelerated spawn rates of the enemies.

For the first 8-10 hours of the game it was fine, but now that I've been destroying so many military bases and missions I cant even have casual fun in towns/bases anymore. I destroy one little item, steal one helicopter and I've got two birds on my ass and 15 enemies spawning right behind me mysteriously.

Tone it down a bit yeah?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last