Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: New Build (March 13th 2014) - Patch Notes

New Build (March 13th 2014) - Patch Notes

Broken sentinels

I agree

I mean since the last patch I couldn't be able to play as sentinel anymore. If I play as sentinels is total suicide.
    Last edited by Tube_Reaver; 17th Mar 2014 at 19:15.

I have the feeling the change in auto-aim for vampire attacks made the balance shift towards the humans again for low-level matches. I can still more or less manage to hit the enemy, but I constantly see people swinging around hitting nothing for minutes. Hint: high latency (150+) seems to be part of the reason for this.

It's happening to me at 67 ping. I notice it the same as when I play at 115-120...
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

Like for FPS and all others games .... ping play a lot in aiming ..... that's not the square-enix fault

Originally Posted by MrJesper
    Like for FPS and all others games .... ping play a lot in aiming ..... that's not the square-enix fault
    Not "aiming", "melee aiming". Things were FAR better before the last change; with a ping of even 250+ I could land almost every single hit, now it's a choke even when I'm not lagging.

I feel that sentinel is in a better place now, but overall vampires are at a disadvantage now. Before the patch, when playing humans you'd have to bait opponents attacks and try to dodge at the right moment. Now, most of the time you can evade a lot of vampire melee hits just by strafing. Also, face hugging is a thing now. I've been able "avoid" a lot of vampire melee just by getting as close to them and circle strafing while unloading my clip.

One of the biggest problems with the vampire melee is playing with high pings. It's nearly impossible to hit humans when I play on a EU server. Yet, they'll have little problem hitting me with hit-scan weapons. Playing sentinel is even worse, I've gone in for an abduct plenty of times only to have my sentinel just fly through a human.

One personal gripe is Sommerdam. Please optimize this map, it's the only map that gives my pc unplayable framerates on low settings and yes, I meet most of the recommended requirements to play (CPU is a bit old). This map is frustrating on a NA server, and unplayable on an EU server.

Originally Posted by LOFO1993
    Not "aiming", "melee aiming". Things were FAR better before the last change; with a ping of even 250+ I could land almost every single hit, now it's a choke even when I'm not lagging.
    This is the same. Vampires were too easy to aim before, now you need to brain a bit and ... like all game you need to have a good ping.

This is the same. Vampires were too easy to aim before, now you need to brain a bit and ... like all game you need to have a good ping.
    That doesn't make it really fair, and I don't think that was the purpose of the update. Making hitting a bit harder for everyone is a thing, making it the more close to impossible the more you are lagging is a completely different one.

Originally Posted by LOFO1993
    That doesn't make it really fair, and I don't think that was the purpose of the update. Making hitting a bit harder for everyone is a thing, making it the more close to impossible the more you are lagging is a completely different one.
    This isn't their fault if you are lagging ... for the moment we can't select EU or NA ... but when u can choose it, you are supposed to not have any lag. I don't have any problem to hit for my part, NA (150 ping ~) or EU (20 - 80 ping ~)

In every game you have to aim, you just can't do it with lags .... in every game .... that's normal because you don't see your ennemy at the good place at the right moment because of your ping.

In every game you have to aim, you just can't do it with lags .... in every game .... that's normal because you don't see your ennemy at the good place at the right moment because of your ping.
    "In every game" you'd expect different pings to at least be a problem that affects people in a predictable way all the time. In this case though, high latency being more punishing for vampires then for humans is more of a problem I think.

It's really not just lag, and it's silly that when literally point blank against a human who is only moving slowly backward I can miss a melee attack. It's not simply lack of aiming; the arm swings in a big arc in front of you, but sometimes the game simply fails to register a hit.

Ok after a couple days with the patch and looking through the forums and asking alot of online players opinions, i have an overall handle on what players were complaining about and how devs went about fixing it. Here are a couple ways for both devs and player to be on the same page in terms of meanings.

The updraft that alot of players complained about wasnt really a complaint about the updraft. it was the fact that humans cant fit out of doorways when sentinels pick them up inside buildings. I believe the fix that would have been perfect is just making it that the sentinel can fly closer to the ground with a human in tow so they can get out of the door. By removing the "updraft" it create a situation with sentinels where you must fly down and build momentum when going to pick up the human in order to fly up with enough speed to get high fall damage after the pick up. ive played several games where i pick someone up and my momentum isnt there so even though im aiming straight up to fly, i can barely get to the height of a small building and thus, have terrible drop damage.

The movement upwards when initiating kidnap/abduct was a sore because it threw off your aim when going in as a sentinel. However, you also removed the dive portion of kidnap/abduct so now you are forced to build up your own speed to get to a human fast and accurately. The main problem with this is now it is significantly easier to get hit with enough damage to simply fall out of the sky at the beginning of your move. so now that the movement upwards when initiating a kidnap or abduct is gone, people are happy. but the burst of speed you got from the initiating of abduct or kidnap is also gone and should be put back in.

at this point in the game, i havent accidentally landed basically at all so whatever the devs did to fix that, awesome job. but if the overall kidnap/abduct mechanic were the same as before with the new harder to land by accident mechanic, gamers would be alot happier.

By removing the "updraft" it create a situation with sentinels where you must fly down and build momentum when going to pick up the human in order to fly up with enough speed to get high fall damage after the pick up. ive played several games where i pick someone up and my momentum isnt there so even though im aiming straight up to fly, i can barely get to the height of a small building and thus, have terrible drop damage.
    but the burst of speed you got from the initiating of abduct or kidnap is also gone and should be put back in.
    This. I noticed it as well, I can barely fly high enough when abducting to do any substantial damage. The fast speed of flight is totally gone and I´m flying so slow that anybody can just shoot me down after I kidnap/abduct somebody.

Originally Posted by XJadeDragoonX
    The updraft that alot of players complained about wasnt really a complaint about the updraft. it was the fact that humans cant fit out of doorways when sentinels pick them up inside buildings. I believe the fix that would have been perfect is just making it that the sentinel can fly closer to the ground with a human in tow so they can get out of the door. By removing the "updraft" it create a situation with sentinels where you must fly down and build momentum when going to pick up the human in order to fly up with enough speed to get high fall damage after the pick up. ive played several games where i pick someone up and my momentum isnt there so even though im aiming straight up to fly, i can barely get to the height of a small building and thus, have terrible drop damage.
    Updraft was an issue because it would often get you stuck on doorframes etc., when you couldn't help but fly upwards no matter what you did, just allowing sents to fly lower with pickups wouldn't have solve that IMO.

So all in all, I do very much welcome the removal of updraft, but I think it coincedes with other changes that make sents as a whole less desirable. Namely the tells being still a bit too pronounced and charge windup being a bit too long, and they could also use a slight speedboost during or after the pickup phase.

Looking at the big picture though, it seems to me that sent is one of the classes that is prone to comparatively bad scaling with player skill level, because it has such a pronounced "react to this or else!" mechanic. In low skill matchups, were people aren't able to do so properly , he will reign supreme, but decent humans who react to the tells and focus him can counter him with relative ease.

After thinking about this in matches, a speed boost, once/if you grab a player, would be most desirable. It grants no immunity, but will aleve the issue that the sentinel also got a huge damage nerf on kidnap/abducts from the lack of altitude.

Honestly, I think that sentinels should be given an option to updraft via bind-able key. It is an invaluable tool to a flyer and would help the sentinels feel more fluid and robust both in and out of combat.

That might be a useful option. I'd personally like to air dodge while charging too.

I don't see why holding shift in the air couldn't produce the previous updraft. The amount of times I see sentinels ground or die due to lack of speed now is really high.

Originally Posted by Xaujin
    Honestly, I think that sentinels should be given an option to updraft via bind-able key. It is an invaluable tool to a flyer and would help the sentinels feel more fluid and robust both in and out of combat.
    Good idea. Actually, they could simply use the right mousebutton (or whatever you bind the snatch power to). The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Corey
    Different people work on different aspects of the game. Just because I might have time to make balance adjustments doesn't mean our engineers aren't investigating crashes or party bugs.
    I understand different teams work on different things perfectly, but this isn't a new bug whatsoever. The point of the post is people aren't playing because of this. Yes this is still in early beta and there's lots of room for improvement, but this has gone on for far too long. That's my point. At the end of the day I wouldn't be worried about this if I wasn't personally invested in seeing this games success. Gonna pick up a founders pack as soon as they are live, but saying different teams are doing different things isn't a very good excuse for things being like this as long as they have been.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123