Thread: Rotating tree thing..

Rotating tree thing..

Rotating tree thing..

This minor, and I just thought of posting since I'm playing the demo now, but the thing with the rotating tree tops needs to be stopped, and the destroyed debris( Crane pieces, etc) going away as fast as the enemies, say more like a 30-45 second life span. I mean when its on the ground by the way, in general too. I do hope that its just for the demo that these two minor things come up. If this has been posted before, my bad as I searched and nothing came up. Thanks.

Those are called SpeedTrees. I hate them too.
    Originally Posted by Kegan
    ZOMBIE GAMERS ATE MY NEIGHBORS.

If they stopped the rotating trees then you would have paper thin trees. It gives a false sense of detail and volume I guess you could say, without far exceeding the pixel rate.
    It would lag the game to the extreme if it was trying to render 100,000 trees and an entire map of that scale in full detail.
    Its purely a performance thing. And I hate it as well but I will live.
    Originally Posted by Movura
    I've always had respect for you as a member

Originally Posted by Peardan
    If they stopped the rotating trees then you would have paper thin trees. It gives a false sense of detail and volume I guess you could say, without far exceeding the pixel rate.
    It would lag the game to the extreme if it was trying to render 100,000 trees and an entire map of that scale in full detail.
    I think he's talking about when you're close up to them. Many of the non-destructible trees are composed of rotating sprites for clusters of leaves.

Originally Posted by NovaSilisko
    I think he's talking about when you're close up to them. Many of the non-destructible trees are composed of rotating sprites for clusters of leaves.
    Yeah I know. They are the ones you see from the sky.

Originally Posted by Peardan
    Yeah I know. They are the ones you see from the sky.
    There are 2 of them from what I can tell. Large, whole tree sprites for trees at a distance, and actual modeled trees with sprite leaf clusters.

They are quite large trees though and usually the large trees are all clustered together, If they did the leaf cluster thing on them then it would still be quite expensive.

I think you are thinking of the software named SpeedTree, used by a few developers to quickly create trees.

Just Cause 2 doesn't use this software, Avalanche created their own trees.

Either way, for tree's rendered on such a mass scale, this seems to be the best way to do it. I trust Avalanche to have done research in this area to find the best system for trees
    signature image

I hated that in mercs 2, now its here?
    Check out and Support id:EAZ GrappleHook DLC please! Link Below!
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...13#post1563813

Its a technique for allowing the trees to be drawn in at far distances...or they would just appear in front of you as you went along....flashbacks from san andreas.
    Is that an exploding gas canister or popcorn?

Keystork Alt + arrow will help to rotate the photo, and your wording speed tree, yep, hate them as well.