Page 5 of 5 First First 12345

Thread: Nosgoth art

Nosgoth art

Originally Posted by GonarTrvig
    removed
    Pls remove the my pictures you coloured from the forum.
    Last edited by Psyonix_Eric; 25th Jun 2015 at 23:34.
    signature image

Put together another mural. Razielim this time. The order's a bit changed given the anomaly of their evolutionary trajectory. Assuming the Sentinel is their common form at the onset of the war, and progresses to the semi-restored state (Evolved skin) over time, I figured by the time the Zephonim are reduced to weird spiders, the Razielim would just be regaining status quo - if they'd survived, of course. (The Razielim there is just an edited Raziel. Removed the clan banner over the arm, altered the claws to fit more with SR-era evolution, added wings behind).

And the Turelim. Went with the original design for Turel (had to merge and alter a few different pieces of concept art). I like to think that was his (unseen) SR form and it was the combined ravages of time travel/Guardian magic/Hylden possession that further warped him into Defiance's monstrosity.
    Toss a suitably fiery background behind him and you've got a wallpaper from hell.

Last edited by Ygdrasel; 28th Sep 2015 at 22:52.

Looks pretty awesome!!

Regarding the Razielim though, technically the ones playable on nosgoth are already the evolved form. The difference between the "evolved" skin and the others is that the "non-evolved" ones are deformed due to blood starvation (just like what happened with Janos).
    Their common form would be the non-winged Razielim, that were extinct during the clan wars.
    And their devolved form was never actually revealed, although there were some concepts:

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    Looks pretty awesome!!

Regarding the Razielim though, technically the ones playable on nosgoth are already the evolved form. The difference between the "evolved" skin and the others is that the "non-evolved" ones are deformed due to blood starvation (just like what happened with Janos).
    Their common form would be the non-winged Razielim, that were extinct during the clan wars.
    And their devolved form was never actually revealed
    I'm aware but the gap left by their devolved forms never being revealed necessitated some workaround. Much as their "evolved" skin in Nosgoth is really just a "slightly healed" skin, I just presumed further 'evolution' would end up a fully-healed Razielim on that note. Hence they'd evolve from deformed > getting better > fully healed.

And this is still the best devolved Raziel concept out there.

I've still got Dumah and Melchiah to go. But there are no good full-body images of Evolved Summoners so that's a bother. Then I gotta wait for the Rahabim...And I've got one in mind for Kain too but I need the Rahabim for that as well.

Piecing Turel together was fun. Originally tried to reconstruct his lower body (from concept art) using borrowed Tyrant bits but it wasn't working out to my satisfaction. The nightmare wallpaper just became my avatar here (and my waking hell every time I turn on my computer).

I just presumed further 'evolution' would end up a fully-healed Razielim on that note. Hence they'd evolve from deformed > getting better > fully healed.
    The last stage of that would still be the devolution though, as Paradoxical Omen points out.

How I imagine a fully devolved razielim (not my work, don't know the creator). By the way, how does the Nosgoth fan art spotlight work ?

Originally Posted by Le_loup
    How I imagine a fully devolved razielim (not my work, don't know the creator). By the way, how does the Nosgoth fan art spotlight work ?
    Awesome as that is, it seems too batty for Raziel's lot. That's more Turel's thing. Amazing artwork though.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 3rd Oct 2015 at 20:38.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Awesome as that is, it seems too batty for Raziel's lot. That's more Turel's thing. Amazing artwork though.
    Can you explain ? I think Raziel wings are pretty batty, even if Turel got batty ears.

Also, it's pretty related, I didn't understand, and still don't, why razielims in Nosgoth mutated as an insectoid. Ok, lack of blood, confinement, blah blah blah (pretty good idea, and fusion between clothes and skin in particular), but from where comes the idea of insectoid as a dark blood gift for Raziel ? Is it the same circumstances that pushed razielims to evolve like Zephonims ?

I remember Vampmaster, I think, talking about some chitinous /insectoid-like Kain armor in LoK (I indeed remember that), but what's the link between insectoid apparel and insectoid form ?

Can you explain ? I think Raziel wings are pretty batty, even if Turel got batty ears.

Also, it's pretty related, I didn't understand, and still don't, why razielims in Nosgoth mutated as an insectoid. Ok, lack of blood, confinement, blah blah blah (pretty good idea, and fusion between clothes and skin in particular), but from where comes the idea of insectoid as a dark blood gift for Raziel ? Is it the same circumstances that pushed razielims to evolve like Zephonims ?

I remember Vampmaster, I think, talking about some chitinous /insectoid-like Kain armor in LoK (I indeed remember that), but what's the link between insectoid apparel and insectoid form ?
    That's not to say that Kain or the Razielim were evolving into insects, just that a way of explaining they'd built up some sort of organic armor of that nature. Daniel said Kain's skin was that sort of thing and I was speculation that the Razielim had either inherited it from Kain or that it was a built in aspect of vampire biology that Kain had mastered control of (Daniel wanted Kain to be able to revert to a more humanoid form when out of sunlight) and the Razielim only triggered it instinctively as a defense mechanism due to the blood starvation.

I don't think the whole vampires are part bat thing is true in LOK. In some franchises like Underworld or Van Helsing, vampires are part bat as a counterpart to werewolves being part wolf, but in others the shapeshifting to bat and wolf and mist just happens to be favored magic of the vampire in question.

As I understand it, the Lieutenant's final forms are an accumulation of traits that suit their personalities or goals rather than a master plan of what creature they want to become. They are manipulated by the subconscious more and more as Nupraptor's curse effects their minds and it becomes kind of a corrupt-a-wish sort of thing where it doesn't turn out exactly as planned.

Things like bat, rhino, insect, ghoul when referring to the Lieutenant's evolved forms are only for descriptive purposes. It's never the case that they'd become a perfect match for one of those creatures.

It's sort of like convergent evolution. The creatures don't share DNA or anything, they just adapted to a similar set of surroundings and therefore wound up evolving similar traits.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

In addition, I'm not keep of the idea of Turel being a sort of failed attempt at what Raziel was going to become.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

There's some absolutely inspiring work here guys. Keep it up!

As for the art spotlight. That's something I very much want to resurrect, I just need to find some spare time to do so .
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Raz's wings are more dragony. And the Razielim didn't mutate as insectoids. Their skin turned chitinous and hardened as a defensive mechanism when the blood starvation made their flesh weak.

Maybe I should say 'insectiform' or 'insectimorph' (which are neologisms anyway), as I didn't mean he/they tend to transform as an insect, but to look like one. And concerning Razielims, there have indeed multiple traits that look like insects (beetle-like horns/spikes, the neck on some skins, insect abdomen-like segments on the wings, etc... - source : 'the fall of the razielim', part IV), and everything that has been explained was that their skin hardened and turned chitinous, so I was wondering what was your theory on the subject.

I like the way you intellectualize that, Vampmaster, very interesting (n.b. : shouldn't we talk about dissociative evolution, on the contrary and in general ?). For the bat (and wolf, etc) part, I was refering to Blood Omen, as it's clearly described there and represent the basis of the Kain character, and some of the vampires properties. The franchise described their own views on vampires, for sure, but it's linked to the main myth anyway, don't you think ? So productions such as Underworld are probably (yes, I take the risk to say so) valid superlatives. I know you made the distinguo between intrinsic animal form or 'magical powers'/some kind of dark illusion.

I agree there's a huge part of descriptive function of the animal forms in SR I, but some traits are clearly undeniable : zephonims weave and lay spider-like eggs, climb the walls, etc..., rahabims got gills and webbed feet, etc etc... As I said, I really like the way you conceive things, but as you mentionned too, there's a part of 'dark magic' in this universe.

Ygdrasel, I never conceived Raziel traits as dragony. It would be a huge disappointment, as I always thought it was a perfect humanoïd adaptation of bat wings (more bony and segmented). What I was saying about Turel and Raziel is that they seems to share some bat traits : Raziel for the wings (pteropus-like (?)) and Turel for the ears (long-eared bats).

What I'd like to know now is how both of you conceive the (d)evolution of Raziel (if he hadn't been thrown into the abyss)
    Last edited by -Shiro-; 10th Oct 2015 at 13:34.

What I'd like to know now is how both of you conceive the (d)evolution of Raziel (if he hadn't been thrown into the abyss)

Challenge accepted. Just gimme a few months to learn how to use Blender. :P

@Nosgoth tweeted this. Not mine, but it's worth sharing:

Yes it's a nice one.

By the way Ygdrasel, I hope you will show us a sketch as preview before you do it in 3D ; )

Originally Posted by -Shiro-
    By the way Ygdrasel, I hope you will show us a sketch as preview before you do it in 3D ; )
    No promises. I actually find working in 2D space to be quite bothersome. Digital 3D space is a bother too. I really ought to just get some modelling clay but in the meantime, I'm making due.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    No promises. I actually find working in 2D space to be quite bothersome. Digital 3D space is a bother too. I really ought to just get some modelling clay but in the meantime, I'm making due.
    I understand and respect that, but months. MONTHS !

I just finished the third artwork of what is becoming a serie, so I think it would be good to post them here in case of some of you missed them.

Wow, nice artwork, Shiro! I especially like the Razielim pose, awesomeness!

Originally Posted by -Shiro-
    I understand and respect that, but months. MONTHS !

I just finished the third artwork of what is becoming a serie, so I think it would be good to post them here in case of some of you missed them.

This is god damn amazing...love it!

Page 5 of 5 First First 12345