Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Help opening ports

Help opening ports

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Help opening ports

It has come to my attention that some people may not be familiar with opening ports. With a little liberalism with plagiarism and a sprinkling of cuts and pastes this should help those with opening ports. See the readme file for the exact ports that need to be opened.

Note The actual port settings vary from program to program.

To manually open a port, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
    2. Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, right-click My Network Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
    3. Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.

Note If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection, and you do not have to open any ports (because they are all already open).
    5. Click Add to open a new port.
    6. In the Description box, type a friendly name. For example, type File Sharing : Port 445.
    7. In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1.

Note You can specify the IP address of an internal computer. But you typically will use 127.0.0.1.
    8. In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. Generally, this number is the same.
    9. Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.
    10. Repeat steps 1 through 9 for each port that you want to open.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Routers on the other hand can vary from maker to maker so I recommend a site called portforward http://portforward.com/routers.htm . Just select your make and model in the following link.

When I click properties and then the settings tab it takes me to the Windows firewall window. Which tab do i go to to add.

Exceptions

I have done the windows firewall port opening but it still doesnt work. I have tried putting all of the ports in the readme as TCP and UDP. I am working on my router one but there arent enough spaces to put all of the ports on my linksys. it gives me 10 spaces to add new ports and that is it. Also I can visually see my router lights shut off as I am joining a server and I lose connection to my TS server.

If anyone needs help with a DLINK 604T just post here and I will help you set it up.
    I Worked on mine last night and was able to host 8 player Games without any problems.

See this Post for the Ports I had to open http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=64923

regards
    Col.Falcon

My wife made me get a wireless router today. Lets see how that goes for me

sorry if a break any rules with this link but the best place to go is

www.portforward.com

has all the major brands and how to config and also if you cant give yourself a static ip tells you that as well

cheers hope it helps

ummm someone didn't read my post

No harm. The site is a great source so is worth mentioning twice.

Smile

Originally Posted by chip5541
    ummm someone didn't read my post

No harm. The site is a great source so is worth mentioning twice.

lol sorry dude didnt see last line

cheers

No problem at all. Just givin ya a hard time

Thumbs Up

followed Col.falcon,s advice..played a 2 hr game with some guy

was awesome fun...love the game.this is what i needed to ween me off the bf franchise

Followd chips directions and I still cant get online. Opened up the ports and everything. I have a zyxel prestige 643 router. I have a question shouldnt I have to open a port on my router as well not just through windows? Also shouldnt I have to use my computers ip adress which I aquired by Run, CMD, ipconfig /all ? instead of the 127.0.0.1? I tried both and still couldnt connect.Here is a screen shot on my Routers Configure menu. Is this where I need to open the ports or through windows?

All that configuring for nothing. Didnt need to open any ports or configure anything. Just need ot download Gamespy Arcade 2.0 and thats it!

Question

I have 2 PCs and 2 copies of the game. How do I forward ports to both PCs? I have given them static Ip addresses. Do I just repeat the steps above and change the IP address or does that delete the forwarded ports for the first IP address?

Hinge

Ports can only be forwarded to one host behind NAT.

That said you shouldn't have to forward ports if you want to play the game, as long as oubound connections are allowed.

Maybe this could post could be added too. It helped me get up and running, and now I'm hosting games all the time.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...977&pid=562047

That was very well written

Originally Posted by chip5541
    It has come to my attention that some people may not be familiar with opening ports. With a little liberalism with plagiarism and a sprinkling of cuts and pastes this should help those with opening ports. See the readme file for the exact ports that need to be opened.

Note The actual port settings vary from program to program.

To manually open a port, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
    2. Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, right-click My Network Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
    3. Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.

Note If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection, and you do not have to open any ports (because they are all already open).
    5. Click Add to open a new port.
    6. In the Description box, type a friendly name. For example, type File Sharing : Port 445.
    7. In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1.

Note You can specify the IP address of an internal computer. But you typically will use 127.0.0.1.
    8. In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. Generally, this number is the same.
    9. Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.
    10. Repeat steps 1 through 9 for each port that you want to open.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Routers on the other hand can vary from maker to maker so I recommend a site called portforward http://portforward.com/routers.htm . Just select your make and model in the following link.
    Every time I try to host a game I can create a server and choose the MP map I want, but as soon as someone try to log into my server; my server quits/shuts down with the message "need to open port 6500 for incoming traffic."
    So I went to my control panel on my PC---> I opened windows firewall----> I opened exceptions----> I chose the "add a port" option ----> gave it the name BSM with port number 6500.... but still the same problem as soon as someone tries to log in, my server still shuts down with the message "open port 6500 for incoming traffic."
    So I still cant host a game, can you/someone please help me???
    (I have a eminent router)

ps: sorry that I posted this request in 2 other threads before I saw this one was the right one to post it...

Have you tried what is listed in this thread? http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...ght=close+port

does anyone have a dlink514 router? i tried to go to that list on the first post but the game isnt on my router's list...someone please help? i think i have to actually go into the DMZ but i have no clue what im doing help plz ;]

Since the last couple of patches, I haven't had to open any ports on my router. Whether I'm hosting or joining, it doesn't matter anymore.

Is this thread totally defunct now, or are there still people that need to open ports so gamespy can do whatever the hell it does (be annoying?)?

I know a lot of games "request" that u open up a bunch of ports...but BSM is the ONLY game I've played where you've NEEDED to do this for the game to function properly online. And with the latest versions of BSM, *I* personally haven't had to forward anymore ports. And I'm glad. You shouldn't have to be a network admin to play a silly game.

Anyways, do people still need to forward ports to play this game if they've simply updated to 1.1.1?

I don't.

It's appear that nobody in Eidos care about us. Sad for this excellent game, so bad support.

Agreed, I play Armed Assault and I have no problems w/ their gamespy but with this one I just get the connecting and a spinning prop on the screen.

Have you updated to 1.1.1?

Opening ports, wtf?

OK, so its nice that you posted an article on opening ports. Some of us know how to manage a firewall.

How about telling us which ports need to be open (please don't say allow all traffic) in order to host a game (or is that more of a gamespy question??)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last