Thread: Hyldens multible physical appearance

Hyldens multible physical appearance

Towards the end of Defiance did the Hylden have a better appearance and wings then in Blood Omen 2? and why did some of them turn into huge beasts?

The Hylden are grotesque in Blood Omen 2 simply because of their lengthy imprisonment in the Demon Realm. As one of them informs Kain, "this realm will render you hideous..."

The large beasts you fight in SR2 and Defiance aren't Hylden, but Demons - a separate race.

I'm not talking about the demons but the hylden like the one possesing Mortanius at the end of Blood omen.

Those Hylden using bodies in defiance had also been inprisoned in the demon realm.

There's your answer. In Defiance they are possessing bodies, but in BO2 they're using their own. The Hylden Lord possesses Janos, but Janos doesn't take on his form. The other Hylden are possessing corpses, but only Raziel forces it to assume the same physical appearance as his true form
    I'd be apathetic if I weren't so lethargic-Peter Griffin

If you look close, you'll notice that the Hylden in Defiance possess the corpses of Humans, Vampires, and Hylden. And of course there is a group of Hylden that possess Turel at times, and then the Hylden Lord who possesses Mortanius and Janos.
    Then there's also those Humans who get possessed and then mutate into weird monsters. Not sure what exactly's going on there.

I seem to recall something about how the type of possession that the Hylden used wasn't exactly gentle, so rather than just kind of entering and controlling a body they had to rip a hole in-between dimensions and that one of the downsides was that bodies were "spent" in a relatively quick time. I've always taken this to mean that the reason the bodies mutated was because the Hylden were forcing themselves in and in the process the bodies were changed too. Kinda like trying to open a car door by ripping it off the hinges. Will the car still work? Yes. Does it look as pretty as before? Not so much...
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

you all have to remember that the demons and the hylden are different things, the demons are native entities of the realm the hylden were casted into...

I agree with raziel's revenge about the reason of some mutations...

And about the difference between SR2 and Defiance Hyldens' compared to BO2 Hyldens Dumah said it right, in Defiance they were mostly corpses being used as vessels, in BO2 they were actual Hylden, but that still doesn't truly explain why the hylden in SR2 were so different...
    "Truth that's told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent."
    William Blake

Hylden in Soul Reaver 2? I don't remember that, except in murals.

Well, that description is a bit embellished, Raziel's Revenge, but yes, the creators said that the Hylden possession isn't gentle and normal beings can't hold up to it for long.

And the official Prima Strategy guide was the only way anyone would know that the Hylden were possessing different races' bodies, so it's understandable the confusion. Why they weren't labeled in game somehow, is anyone's guess. Raziel makes monologues about everything else, but never notices this...

Anywho, here's the rundown of the Hylden in their various bodies in Defiance:

Revenant, or human dead body (Graveyard/Kain's Mausoleum)

Dead Ancient Corpse (Vorador's Mansion)

Dead Hylden Corpse (Vorador's Mansion, beyond until the end)

Mutated Possessed Living Human (Vorador's Mansion, beyond until the end)

I won't show the normal human with glowing green eyes, since that's a bit redundant The Demons are Demons, not Hylden, nor are they ever possessed by Hylden. They look like this:

Fire Demon

Electric, or Gray Demon

No Hylden were ever in SR2, unless you mean in the murals. In SR2, though, there were more variety in Demons.

Green Demon, with blades

I'm assuming these were like the green ones in Blood Omen 1 that looked exactly like the Fire Demons, but were green.

Purple Demons

These green-gas-emitting Demons are only seen in SR2, but maybe they can one day be linked to the only-seen ginormous Purple Demons in BO2... Who knows? Either way, neither of these are Hylden.

This is the Fire Demon seen in SR2:

...and its big brother/cousin/whatever, the Giant Black Fire Demon:

...who's just a *tad* more spikey than his little brethren... Also, btw, he looks a hell of a lot like the Black Demon-like being the Hylden Lord in Mortanius' body turns into at the end of BO:

The Electric/Gray Demon also is the same in this game.

The other enemies you might have thought were Hylden, but aren't, were the Thralls. They aren't, however. They're undead that the Ancients have set to guard the various forges and their own lairs, apparently. We'll assume they were once human, but hey, mayeb they were using Hylden bodies also... The Air Forge, with its multiple hearts you need to find always has made me think of more than one race being shown... Possibly all three races, but anyway... Digressing again... They appear only in the forges, or in Janos' Retreat.

Here are the Hylden in BO2:

Science Class

That one is of The Builder, and one of the snafus of visuals in BO2. Why the Builder looks like the ruined Hylden from the Demon Dimension, when he was locked away in the Eternal Prison on Nosgoth. Then again, perhaps he was tortured to look like that of his fallen brethren in that realm. In fact, the Eternal Prison isn't exactly said to be in Nosgoth anyway, and may be a realm all to its own. Wherever it is, since nothing there may be what it seems, it may be only what the realm wishes him to look like, or only what Kain sees him as... But, I digress...

Can't find a pic, but then there's the Warrior Class Hylden, which are a little darker in color and have blades for forearms... Probably Genetic manipulation, given the cloning incubation pods their "young" are seen in. I'd hate to have to wipe my... if I were them

You also have half torso ghost that isn't a Hylden (but resembles the Science Class Hylden character model greatly), with horns on their heads, in the Eternal Prison. They also have the exact same combos as the Science Class Hylden, save their heavy (read) attack. It's been a while, but they might not even have the medium (yellow) attack either.

As for the demons, there are only two variety seen. The Purple Demons I mentioned:

Unstoppable, invincible bruits, and these little Spider-Like demons:

... that have a littler version, that don't have a green-glowing head.

These aren't to be confused with the Giant Spiders, seen here:

...that are not demons, in fact.

With that, my little foray into posting is quelled for the year Hope this helps.

You also have half torso ghost Hylden, with horns on their heads, in the Eternal Prison.
    Those aren't Hylden, are they? The strategy guide names them Poltergeists and I've never seen an official origin for them given.

Sorry, I meant to say Hylden-like. You're right. They aren't actual Hylden, but the character model used was basically the same as the Science Class Hylden, and they have the exact same combos as the Science Class Hylden, minus the heavy attacks. Another of the visual snafus of BO2. It's kind of like the human male heads being lopped off of all creatures, Hylden, or Human, male, or female, in some versions of BO2. The PC version, at least, sort of corrects this... Sort of...

Thanks, I was wondering whether I'd missed something pivotal :P

Edited. I had to edit something else I mixed around as well.

hahaha yes, I meant the ones in the murals in SR2...
    "Truth that's told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent."
    William Blake