View Poll Results: What Betting System Would You Like?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winner Takes All

3 15.79%
  • The Split Pot

11 57.89%
  • None

3 15.79%
  • Don't Care

2 10.53%

Thread: Suggestion: Betting

Suggestion: Betting

Lightbulb Suggestion: Betting

So here I am speaking as a player! I normally don't discuss my suggestions on the forum, but I felt this one needed a thread to itself. This is purely a suggestion with 0% guarantee that it will end up in the game.

There are other online games around where there are ways to bet in-game currency on the outcome of a match. Simple concept, and might be a nice way to gamble small amounts of your currency.

Of course, it would have to be a system that the players want to participate in, but also doesn't ruin the economy of the game. As such, here are a couple of options with examples as to how a betting system could work:

Winner Takes All (The Balanced Method)
    (aka The one that doesn't break the economy)

Firstly, in order to keep the balance, anyone who participates in the betting would have to bet the exact same amount, so let's take 50 coins as an example.

The only way betting on the overall team could work is if both teams have the same number of people betting, which makes this a non-intuitive option. As such, I feel it would have to be a "Winner takes all" system, which could either be based on the player who dealt the most kills, highest score, or most damage.

Looking at each of these individually:

• Most Kills - This would be the worst option, because chances of a draw are much higher than the other two options.
    • Highest Score - This one makes the most sense considering how easy this is to see at the end of the match, but there's still a chance of a draw.
    • Most Damage - This is the best option in terms of there being an incredibly rare chance of a draw, but it's also the most exploitative option.

As such, I believe there could be a combination, by which I mean the winner would be the person who achieves the highest score, but if there happens to be a draw, the tie-breaker would be number of kills, followed by most damage.

Then there has to be the consideration of who people bet on. Would it be best to be forced to bet on yourself, or bet on someone else? The problem with betting on someone else is, of course, that this system can also be exploited so easily (by just letting them win), so I do think it would have to be a matter of betting on yourself, and wondering whether you feel confident enough to bet.

So this basically means that, as long as at least 2 people in the match bet on themselves to achieve the highest score in one particular match, the winner of that wins all the bets. Here's an example:

• 8 people in Team Deathmatch - 4 per team
    • 2 people on Team 1 bet 50 coins each (fixed price), 1A & 1B
    • 3 people on Team 2 bet 50 coins each (fixed price), 2A, 2B & 2C
    • 1A scores 1000 with 5 kills.
    • 1B scores 900 with 3 kills.
    • 2A scores 750 with 4 kills.
    • 2B scores 1000 with 6 kills.
    • 2C scores 550 with 1 kill.
    • Player 2B receives 250 coins (200 profit). All other players lose their 50 coins.

The Split Pot
    (aka The Percentage Method)

This is a bit more complicated, but if you've played Poker, you'll probably understand it a bit better. On the plus side, this method means more than one person per match gets a chance to win money.

Let's say people can choose to bet up to 100 coins (incrementally in 10 coin amounts) on themselves or on someone else to achieve the highest score (ignoring kill count and damage dealt).

Basically, this method works out the percentage of the money you've put into the "pot", and then you win that percentage back if you win. This is hard to explain, but might be easier with some examples:

Example 1:

• Player A bets 100 coins that Player F will win.
    • Player B bets 60 coins that Player E will win.
    • Player C bets 40 coins that Player G will win.
    • Total Pot: 200 coins.

Of the three players bets were placed on, Player E wins, Player F is second, & Player G is third. This means:

• As Player C has the lowest bet, he doesn't win anything, leaving 200 coins still in the pot.
    • Player B wins, but can only win the 40 from Player C, and 60 from Player A. He receives 160 coins total, leaving 40 remaining in the pot.
    • Player A is the secondary winner, receiving the remaining 40 coins.

Example 2:

• Player X bets 100 coins that Player W will win.
    • Player Y bets 20 coins that Player U will win.
    • Player Z bets 50 coins that Player V will win.
    • Total Pot: 170 coins.

Of the three players bets were placed on, Player U wins, Player V is second, & Player W is third. This means:

• Player Y wins outright, but as she only bet 20 coins, she only wins 20 from each of the other players, receiving 60 total, leaving 110 coins left in the pot.
    • Player Z is second. She receives the 30 coins she had remaining, and 30 coins from Player X, receiving 60 total, resulting in a 10 coin profit, and leaving 50 remaining in the pot.
    • Player X loses, but was the highest better receiving the remaining 50 coins in the pot.

Example 3:

• Player L bets 60 coins that Player P will win.
    • Player M bets 40 coins that Player P will win.
    • Player N bets 100 coins that Player Q will win.
    • Total Pot: 200 coins.

Of the two players bets were placed on, Player P wins & Player Q is second. This means Players L & M both win. Their amounts are combined to total 100, so Player N loses all 100 coins to both players. So:

• Player L wins 60% of the pot: 120 coins.
    • Player M wins 40% of the pot: 80 coins.

There are other methods, but I think one of these two would probably be the most effective considering the nature of the game. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter, and please feel free to vote.
    Last edited by Xenonetix; 6th Mar 2014 at 16:52.

Voted for split pot, tho i thought about a different way. I would love to have something like a weekly jackpot tournament, for when the teams are back on game or maybe for solo queue too. With a base reward plus some entry fee, top 5 or 10 players/teams get rewarded according to their rank. Or maybe a monthly version of it with booster rewards or something similar. OR at least private tournaments where we can create our own and determine the reward ourselves.

Ofc my suggestions are all about tournaments which requires a lot more players, so not really for now but maybe close to release.

Wouldn't that result in no team play and everyone just kamikazing to get a lot of points? There should really be a penalty for dying. Or bonus points for staying alive.
    For example 10 - x = y where x is the number of deaths. Then y x 100 = bonus points added to the player's score.
    Let's say someone got 1450 points, died 6 times. When the round's finished, they get 10 - 6 = 4 x 100 = 400 points added. 1450 + 400 = 1850.
    Of course the formula would need to be adequately balanced.

That's a game mechanics issue rather than a betting issue. I am currently under the belief that gaining points from hitting yourself is a bug, and will be updated in future.

I agree that there should be various bonuses for staying alive though.

I like both, but i voted for the split option.
    More chance that you win something back and thus more chance people keep using it.

I'd not involve myself with it at all, long as I can opt out I'm indifferent to betting.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

Split pots, but I feel this would work better for spectator mode than players. It'd give people something to cheer for!

Also, I'd base it on damage, however, I don't think it'll be viable until damage dealt after death by abilities is added in. I can't be a lone in saying I do at least 4k damage per game after I'm death from turrets, fire, and various other AoE abilities.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

I think it’d be ok as long as it’s IC and not OOC…I don’t think I’d like it to see it become OOC influenced/betting.

Maybe like Horse/Greyhound racing where you have a winner takes all – maybe? I got confused by the other things

It’s probably something that I’d not get involved in…

I´m not a fan of betting either, Lucy. It might put additional pressure to win and more raging to the game, but I don´t really know honestly.

Well I could see something like this work if there were weekly/bi-weekly/monthly tournaments in-game, where clans would register for the event.
    With an in-game tournament system sorted out, which would organise (and randomise things) and which would also let spectators place in-game gold bets on their favourite teams to win.

However if it were for every single normal common match, then I can't see this working too well for a number of reasons.

Originally Posted by Tube_Reaver
    Well I could see something like this work if there were weekly/bi-weekly/monthly tournaments in-game, where clans would register for the event.
    With an in-game tournament system sorted out, which would organise (and randomise things) and which would also let spectators place in-game gold bets on their favourite teams to win.

However if it were for every single normal common match, then I can't see this working too well for a number of reasons.
    Pretty much agree here.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

I would like to see split pot and have it for spectators and tournaments as Tube_Reaver described.

I choose split pot also, but I feel like if this actually goes into the game the spectators(betters) will only be able to bet on a random game so nothing can be fixed.

I think any betting system should be themed around Zephon! It just fits perfectly with his sneaky and scheming personality.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape